PDA

View Full Version : BBC won't air F1 in high definition

CNR
7th January 2009, 10:48
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/broadcasting/a140696/bbc-wont-air-f1-in-high-definition.html

The BBC's coverage of Formula 1 will not be available in high definition at launch, it has been revealed.
Director of BBC Sport Roger Mosey wrote on the BBC Sport Editors' blog (http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/sporteditors/2008/12/plenty_to_look_forward_to_in_2.html#comment27) that the corporation's F1 coverage "won't yet be available in HD" but added that "we'd very much like it to be".

Andrewmcm
7th January 2009, 11:03
Are F1 races shot in HD?

PolePosition_1
7th January 2009, 11:22
*Jake Humphrey will be presenting the show on location with David Coulthard and Eddie Jordan as pundits. Lee McKensie and Ted Kravitz will be pitlane reporters, with Martin Brundle and Jonathan Legard as commentators.
*All live race and qualifying sessions will be on BBC One.
*Four streams are expected on the Red Button for every session: 1) World Feed; 2) Onboard; 3) Data; 4) Highlights.
*There will be an option to change commentators via the Red Button from for instance TV commentary to Radio commentary.
*Rolling race repeat re-runs on the Red Button every two hours after the live broadcast.
*Practice will be live on the Red Button. Unknown yet about support races (GP2, Porsche Supercup), although Red Button coverage is expected.
*Coverage will be streamed online - races will be put on iPlayer shortly after the completed duration.
*Only downside is that there is no HD coverage.
*This is an almost certainty to be the theme. It'd be suicidal if it wasn't.
*There maybe a BBC Three preview show at 19:00 on Thursdays.
*Tentative Australian Grand Prix schedule for BBC.

I think most of the above is accurate from the previous thread, apologies in advance if there are any errors.

http://www.timeanddate.com/counters/customcounter.html?day=29&month=3&year=2009&hour=7&min=00&sec=00&p0=136

ArrowsFA1
7th January 2009, 11:45
Can't say HD is too much of a concern for me. Sure, it would be nice but I'm just happy that we have coverage on free-to-air tv with no adverts :cool:

Valve Bounce
7th January 2009, 11:54
Are F1 races shot in HD?

No!! Max thinks a whipping on the bottom is sufficient. :D

Mark
7th January 2009, 13:07
Ah poo. There goes the number 1 justification for getting Sky HD :mad:

Dave B
7th January 2009, 14:44
FOM produce the races in HD, with the exception of the onboard cameras, but don't make the HD feed available. Even the F1 Cinema last year was upscaled SD.

Still: no commercials and no James Allen. It's a massive improvement either way!

I'm setting up a 2nd Sky box and screen for the onboard channel; won't bother with the timing stream as I can get it online.

I'm very excited! :D

7th January 2009, 15:08
I'm setting up a 2nd Sky box and screen for the onboard channel

May I recommend that you watch the start from the onboard?

I got the Sky Digital F1 broadcasts in 2002, and it was far more dramatic & had far more suspense when there was no commentary and just the engine note.

Of course, you miss the action going on around you, but that's what Sky+ and the live-rewind function was made for.

Andrewmcm
7th January 2009, 15:18

There's always NASCAR and Indycar in HD to enjoy/endure, depending on your point of view...!

ioan
7th January 2009, 16:00
Big deal.

Sleeper
7th January 2009, 16:04
Big deal.
My thoughts exactly, dont have an HD TV so I dont care in the slightest.

SGWilko
7th January 2009, 16:20
Big deal.

..........Said the dealer with the huge deck of cards........

Dave B
7th January 2009, 16:34
Big deal.
Yet again the forum is enriched by your constructive comments.

ioan
7th January 2009, 18:02
Yet again the forum is enriched by your constructive comments.

Uh oh, said the proud owner of a useless HD set! :p :
I bet the forum is very enriched with this pretty much useless thread! :rolleyes:

call_me_andrew
8th January 2009, 04:41
*Jake Humphrey will be presenting the show on location with David Coulthard and Eddie Jordan as pundits. Lee McKensie and Ted Kravitz will be pitlane reporters, with Martin Brundle and Jonathan Legard as commentators.
*All live race and qualifying sessions will be on BBC One.
*Four streams are expected on the Red Button for every session: 1) World Feed; 2) Onboard; 3) Data; 4) Highlights.
*There will be an option to change commentators via the Red Button from for instance TV commentary to Radio commentary.
*Rolling race repeat re-runs on the Red Button every two hours after the live broadcast.
*Practice will be live on the Red Button. Unknown yet about support races (GP2, Porsche Supercup), although Red Button coverage is expected.
*Coverage will be streamed online - races will be put on iPlayer shortly after the completed duration.
*Only downside is that there is no HD coverage.
*This is an almost certainty to be the theme. It'd be suicidal if it wasn't.
*There maybe a BBC Three preview show at 19:00 on Thursdays.
*Tentative Australian Grand Prix schedule for BBC.

I think most of the above is accurate from the previous thread, apologies in advance if there are any errors.

http://www.timeanddate.com/counters/customcounter.html?day=29&month=3&year=2009&hour=7&min=00&sec=00&p0=136

What is this "red button" you speak of?

Mark
8th January 2009, 07:55
What is this "red button" you speak of?

On digital TV you press the 'red button' (which is actually a hangover from the days of FastText) and it brings up interactive services, sometimes these include seperate 'streams' or channels within the main channel.

Robinho
8th January 2009, 12:38
the red button stuff is going to be a fantastic move, especially the ability to watch the rerun on the red button straight after if you miss the race, so no waiting around for ever for ITV to put it online, only for them to use the podium shot as the screen grab for the advert! (seriously they did do this, and didn't seem to give a when i complained that they had made watching the race pointless!)

wedge
8th January 2009, 15:19
I'm wondering whether you can still get audio commentary for the onboards.

The repeats on the red button will be saviour going out on Sundays. I'm sure I'm not the only one - means I can go out to a race meeting and not feel a bit guilty on missing out on live F1.

Dave B
9th January 2009, 08:38
the red button stuff is going to be a fantastic move, especially the ability to watch the rerun on the red button straight after if you miss the race, so no waiting around for ever for ITV to put it online, only for them to use the podium shot as the screen grab for the advert! (seriously they did do this, and didn't seem to give a when i complained that they had made watching the race pointless!)

Almost as bad as the days before they showed GP2 live, when you'd have James Allen plugging the forthcoming replay and telling you who won. :dozey:

SteveA
12th January 2009, 10:58

Never really was a justification, as BBC HD is available on Freesat!

Mark
12th January 2009, 11:02
Never really was a justification, as BBC HD is available on Freesat!

And that's exactly what I'm getting instead ;)

SteveA
12th January 2009, 11:38
Ah - well in that case, be aware that there's very little in HD on there at the moment. BBC HD starts at 7pm, and shows an hour of kids shows first (which they could show in the day!). ITV HD is seldom online - its a red-button service, but they have so little material and its difficult to know when something will be shown in HD. Channel 4 HD is not available at all, due to some contractual difficulty with Sky.

You might be able to tune non-Freesat channels, depending on the box you buy (the Humax can do this). You'll then be able to tune Luxe.TV.

I had Freesat for a few months, but I've now defected to Sky HD!

berniefails
15th January 2009, 14:52
Does anyone have any recommendations for watching F1 online? I tried www.seef1.com (http://www.seef1.com) last season and it failed, no customer service and they didn't show races for weeks after they aired. Thanks for the help.

raikk
19th January 2009, 04:41
on a bit of an unrelated note I wonder if TSN (Canadian sports channel) will be streaming F1 from BBC?.. I hope to god they don't stream the SPEEDTV coverage..