PDA

View Full Version : Japanese exodus continues

MJW
31st December 2008, 11:00
Kawasaki quit Moto GP, following Honda, Suzuki, and Subaru as Japan seems to turn its back on motorsport. With similarities between Moto GP and WRC, expensive electronics, and some riders including Rossi saying the Moto GP bikes are "boring to ride and watch" the World Superbike championship is going from strength to strength. I am beginning to see a trend here with the pinnacle of each sport becoming threatened by the understudy series, IRC and WSB. Sorry for being slightly off topic with this post.

AndyRAC
31st December 2008, 11:29
Apart from being Japanese, the other comparison is that they were all hugely unsuccessful. That is probably the main reason, as well as the current financial climate.

Tom206wrc
31st December 2008, 11:38
I don't follow MotoGP but that's sad news :mark:

Sulland
31st December 2008, 16:11
Yes back to 500 ccm two stroke for moto GP, they are not boring to drive and watch !!

Maybe we need two stroke engines back in WRC as well !!!

Mirek
31st December 2008, 16:56
That would be very ecological move...

Sulland
31st December 2008, 16:59
No but fun to drive and watch !!

But not for certain, a top modern two-stroke, how much is it polluting ?

Buzz Lightyear
31st December 2008, 18:42
The financial crisis is a convenient excuse to try and hide that fact that the japanese methodology does not work in motorsport.

gloomyDAY
1st January 2009, 00:44
The financial crisis is a convenient excuse to try and hide that fact that the japanese methodology does not work in motorsport.How did you read my mind?

WRCfan
1st January 2009, 04:44
The Japanese methodology DOESN'T work in motorsport. Sorry to sound harsh but they spend so much time having meetings, and talking about dribble, that while other teams are out doing productive things they are all sat around a table continuing to talk dribble into their green tea wondering why the competition is faster per lap than them.

It's the Japanese way, don't do anything productive, make loads of photocopies and have meetings which last for hours and accomplish nothing!

paxtech
1st January 2009, 08:22
Dakar Rally being an exception to that, where Mitsubishi will challenge for their 8th consecutive win, 13th overall, starting 3 days from now.

And that's where Mitsubishi is putting its money, where they can actually win. No point in spending so much in a sport where you can't win. Motorsports is advertising before it's a sport.

Hopefully Mitsubishi is cooking something following the 2010 WRCar recipe. WRC needs more manufacturers. 2009 seems to be anothwer 2008, Citroen vs Ford. It's boring.

Sulland
1st January 2009, 08:57
The Japanese methodology DOESN'T work in motorsport. Sorry to sound harsh but they spend so much time having meetings, and talking about dribble, that while other teams are out doing productive things they are all sat around a table continuing to talk dribble into their green tea wondering why the competition is faster per lap than them.

It's the Japanese way, don't do anything productive, make loads of photocopies and have meetings which last for hours and accomplish nothing!

This is actually a valid point. All non Japanese that have been involved in japanese teams in rally or formula 1 have mentioned the differences in how to run an organization.

TTE is one of the few that have worked, but that was a very european organization, with a known swede on top !

WRCfan
1st January 2009, 09:29
I am living in Japan and see it in all aspects of business, there is too much 'talking' about doing things, and not enough 'doing' of things. I see it everyday. They are not very proactive about things compared to western people. The idea of needing a 'consensus' about doing something rather than someone being proactive and saying 'this is what needs to be done' and taking the reins on things never happens.

Woodeye
1st January 2009, 10:25
The financial crisis is a convenient excuse to try and hide that fact that the japanese methodology does not work in motorsport.

Yeah, Subaru and Toyota didn't do well in WRC. :rolleyes:

If you think that the financial crises is an excuse to anything, you are just wrong. The crises didn't hit the world totally on 2008, it will do it on 2009. You will see.

Woodeye
1st January 2009, 10:27
I am living in Japan and see it in all aspects of business, there is too much 'talking' about doing things, and not enough 'doing' of things. I see it everyday. They are not very proactive about things compared to western people. The idea of needing a 'consensus' about doing something rather than someone being proactive and saying 'this is what needs to be done' and taking the reins on things never happens.

It happens in west as well. Just go to Sweden. I know what I'm talking about. :)

Tomi
1st January 2009, 11:21
If you think that the financial crises is an excuse to anything, you are just wrong. The crises didn't hit the world totally on 2008, it will do it on 2009. You will see.

I belive you are right about this, one other thing might be that the last economic crises in Japan is still in good memory, but on the other hand the amount they was (Subaru,Suzuki) investing in rally was peanuts and makes no difference.

Tom206wrc
1st January 2009, 12:15
No but fun to drive and watch !!

But not for certain, a top modern two-stroke, how much is it polluting ?

A very few with a direct injection system(Aprilia)and a particulates filter(Peugeot MTC)... :p :

cosmicpanda
1st January 2009, 12:28
Yeah, Subaru and Toyota didn't do well in WRC. :rolleyes:

And nor, of course, did Mitsubishi.

Buzz Lightyear
1st January 2009, 13:03
Toni, the fact remains, if Honda, Subaru, Suzuki, Kawasaki won their respective titles last year, the would not have withdrawn. You state that the budget required at peanuts compared with their overall revenue, enforcing the point the the financial crisis is only an excuse.

Woodeye
1st January 2009, 15:07
Toni, the fact remains, if Honda, Subaru, Suzuki, Kawasaki won their respective titles last year, the would not have withdrawn. You state that the budget required at peanuts compared with their overall revenue, enforcing the point the the financial crisis is only an excuse.

...or maybe the Japanese see beforehand what's going to happen this year in economy and they've already started to prepare for it. Unlike european manufacturers. And the yanks are dead already, maybe not Ford, but the 2 other giants.

If I would be the head of any autocompany at the moment I would take all the money out from motorsport and invest it to somewhere I could get profit (or savings for that matter). You really don't anything out from motorsport. Or at least it is really hard to calculate what you gain from it.