PDA

View Full Version : MG ZR Super 1600 - once For Sale by Derek McGarrity

MG Rally
29th December 2008, 20:04
I wonder if anyone can help me...

Derek McGarrity acquired an MG ZR Super 1600 from the Canary Islands and it was advertised For Sale for a while but it has since disappeared somewhat.

The same car was driven by John McElhinney (from Co Donegal) & Martin McGarrity (any relation to Derek?) to 55th Overall & 3rd in Class 6 on the 2007 Donegal International Rally @ No 156. Entries for the MG and John McElhinney were also placed for the 2007 Clare Stages and 2008 Galway International - although I gather they never materialised.

The car was still in it's factory colours of XPower Grey with 'Chernobyl' Green stripe / graphics and was still Canary Islands registered S 8942 BBJ when it appeared in Donegal in June 2007.

...does anybody know anything else about this car or John McElhinney please?

MG Rally
2nd January 2009, 12:45
Would the individual that sent me a PM regarding this car, please email me at david.sims63 @ ntlworld.com (removing gaps before sending).

I am having trouble replying to your PM. Many thanks.

katxal
3rd January 2009, 23:22
That car was Chassis nº5, and was in Canary Islands on 2004 property of Jose Miguel Hernandez. Not too much known about this car...only a few races...his debut was in Rallye de Granadilla 2004

http://gallery.xpowerforums.com/data/675/2291DSC00007.JPG

MG Rally
4th January 2009, 11:15
Hi Andrés, and thank you for posting about the MG ZR S1600.

You are quite correct that it was Chassis No 5, correct that it belonged to José Miguel Hernández Fumero in the Canary Islands, and correct that it only did a few events.

But, I am sorry to say that it was actually the 2003 Rallye Toyosur Granadilla that the car debuted on, not the 2004 event.

I have found out that the car debuted as above in 2003, and then entered two more rallies in that year and a hillclimb at San Miguel. It also appeared on static display at a motor show and then as far as I can tell it's last event was the 2004 Rallye Toyosur Granadilla.

Do you know if it entered any other rallies or hillclimbs whilst it was owned by José Miguel Hernández Fumero?

MG Rally
4th January 2009, 11:19
Would the individual that sent me a PM regarding this car, please email me at david.sims63 @ ntlworld.com (removing gaps before sending).

I am having trouble replying to your PM. Many thanks.
Thank you for making contact with me again. I have since emailed you back, and would be very interested to hear from you.

A quick update from information learnt elsewhere...

John McElhinney sold the MG to Damien McElhinney (no relation), who competed on the 2008 Loughgall Stages and the 2008 Sligo Stages. Damien is currently unaware of his future plans for the car.

As soon as I learn anything more of interest, I will try to keep you all updated.

MG Rally
6th December 2009, 09:58
Hi all, and apologies for not being around much during this year.

I just wondered if anyone had any up to date information on this car or whether Damien McElhinney ever did anything else in it since the 2008 Sligo Stages or whether it has been sold on to anyone since.

It was listed For Sale on rallycarsforsale.net for 26,500 Euros, and as far as I can tell it appears to be still For Sale on there.

I'm trying to play catch up a little and update my files. Many thanks.

MG Rally
8th December 2009, 10:14
A quick update :

Apparently Kevin Gallagher from Donegal bought it off Damien sometime earlier this year, before May.