PDA

View Full Version : What will the Solberg Brothers do in 09 ?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Sulland
29th December 2008, 00:07
Since Petter is free to choose, and Henning has not chosen yet, what are their options as of today for 09 ?

Will they only look at WRC, or could they look elsewhere ?

J4MIE
29th December 2008, 00:34
Why would they look elsewhere?

Tomi
29th December 2008, 00:53
Why would they look elsewhere?
maybe rallycross, what else.

WRCfan
29th December 2008, 03:39
Has Petter been cleared to get released from his contract with Subaru Japan?
If so then this is good news. I wonder whether either of them would move to the s2000 in anticipation for the changes to occur in 2010?

Seats in WRC cars are all but filled unless you pay your way into a WRC drive.

Kind of in between a rock and a hard place. Well Petter that is. Surely Henning can continue without too many issues..

Tom206wrc
29th December 2008, 08:20
I still hope whale of Bozian for Henning ;)

Daniel
29th December 2008, 09:03
maybe rallycross, what else.

Perhaps IRC? :) When Loeb leaves the WRC in 2010 or so then what does the WRC have? Only a name in my view.

Next year the IRC has
The Monte
Rally GB (A rally in Scotland is a better Rally GB than a rally in South Wales!)
Safari
and San Remo.

Next year the WRC has
Acropolis
Finland
and Portugal

Ok so the WRC has a better class of cars but that ends when the WRCars are banned? :) If the Monte coverage is good I suspect some rallies may get itchy feet and move to where their event gets good coverage and they are allow to run a route that suits them. The IRC also isn't lumbered with contracts with all the silly Middle East/Mediterranean rallies which pollute the championship.

IRC, WRC, like I said it's just a name.

Sulland
29th December 2008, 09:50
Norwegian press is reporting that Petter is to call Citroen Sport and MSport today to check his possibilities.
http://www.vg.no/pub/vgart.hbs?artid=539383

Could there be a couple of C4s with little plans for 09 ??

Tom206wrc
29th December 2008, 10:02
Norwegian press is reporting that Petter is to call Citroen Sport and MSport today to check his possibilities.

Can't wait for the final decision ;)

But it's true that if Malcolm Wilson misses the opportunity it'll be the END of Ford expectations for title next year :s :s

Gard
29th December 2008, 10:58

This is the official statement. Unofficial he has probably been in contact for some time now

Sulland
29th December 2008, 12:58
after a Norwegian rally yesterday, where Henning drove one of the Kongsrud Fabia WRC's he said that the Fabia will be a winning car with small adjustments, and was better to drive than the 07 Focus !

He also said that we should not be surprised to see him behind the wheel of a Peugeot again. Guessing he then means a whale and not a 207 !?

DonJippo
29th December 2008, 13:26
after a Norwegian rally yesterday, where Henning drove one of the Kongsrud Fabia WRC's he said that the Fabia will be a winning car with small adjustments, and was better to drive than the 07 Focus !

Sure...you only need to change engine, drive train, suspension and diffs and you got yourself a winner... :dozey:

Tomi
29th December 2008, 13:58
Sure...you only need to change engine, drive train, suspension and diffs and you got yourself a winner... :dozey:

change of driver would not hurt either.

Tom206wrc
29th December 2008, 15:10
He also said that we should not be surprised to see him behind the wheel of a Peugeot again. Guessing he then means a whale and not a 207 !?

:bounce:

Sulland
29th December 2008, 17:33
Maybe they will set up Norway WRT or Solberg WRT and drive as a team ? :eek:

RS
29th December 2008, 17:51

That's nice but the Fabia couldn't win in WRC, not unless Ford and Citroen are about to quit too... But when it was set up and driven properly it was a decent car and would still be capable of points these days probably.

Sulland
29th December 2008, 17:59
That's nice but the Fabia couldn't win in WRC, not unless Ford and Citroen are about to quit too... But when it was set up and driven properly it was a decent car and would still be capable of points these days probably.

But this is also about driving style and getting the car to work for you. If Henning Likes the Fabia or the 307 better than the Focus, then he can get closer to the edge of the car, and drive faster than in a car you do not get the best out of ! It is also about feel and trust for the car, not only development.

Agree RS ?

RS
29th December 2008, 18:10
But this is also about driving style and getting the car to work for you. If Henning Likes the Fabia or the 307 better than the Focus, then he can get closer to the edge of the car, and drive faster than in a car you do not get the best out of ! It is also about feel and trust for the car, not only development.

Agree RS ?

Yes, I do agree.

Henning doesn't seem to have got along with the Focus very well at all. I'm not sure it suits the style of a lot of drivers. Galli was also a disappointment in the Focus and Duval did not seem to get on with it all that well either.

It would certainly be interesting to see Henning in a 307 or even a Fabia next year :)

Gard
29th December 2008, 18:21
Yes, I do agree.

Henning doesn't seem to have got along with the Focus very well at all. I'm not sure it suits the style of a lot of drivers. Galli was also a disappointment in the Focus and Duval did not seem to get on with it all that well either.

It would certainly be interesting to see Henning in a 307 or even a Fabia next year :)

Malcom wouldn't let them come close to the M1 cars. If they got good settings it would suddenly be changed or the "We had to change your rear diff, but we had none with the spec you wanted" way. Then is better to do the Mikkelsen or Adapta solution. By out the cars and test and develop them in a different team

MJW
29th December 2008, 18:34
M-Sport customer cars are "way different" to the factory cars. Also they run the team as a support function to the BP cars. I hope if Petter gets an M-Sport car it will be a proper factory car. When Marcus was at Ford he would speak Swedish to Henning (a language understood by both of them) and he would help more than the team. I get the impression Henning doesn't want to top up the Wilson family finances any more.

Sulland
29th December 2008, 19:44
M-Sport customer cars are "way different" to the factory cars. Also they run the team as a support function to the BP cars. I hope if Petter gets an M-Sport car it will be a proper factory car. When Marcus was at Ford he would speak Swedish to Henning (a language understood by both of them) and he would help more than the team. I get the impression Henning doesn't want to top up the Wilson family finances any more.

I dont think Henning thinks to much about the money, but if we read btw the lines in reports during and after rallies this year, a lot of strange things happened to the car, and some times without him asking for change, and when he asked -- the settings went in a different direction than planned.

I think it has to do with trust - and that need to go both ways !!!

Gard
29th December 2008, 21:48
PSRT :eek:

Sulland
29th December 2008, 22:30
Yes according to Petter in norwegian media, PSRT is one of the options !
http://www.tv2sporten.no/ovrig/article2487934.ece

Translated:
http://translate.google.no/translate?hl=no&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.tv2sporten.no%2Fovrig%2Farticle 2487934.ece&sl=no&tl=en&history_state0=

For some reason google translated Rally Norway to Rally Australia and Spydeberg to Rockhampton, do not know why ??

52Paddy
29th December 2008, 22:41
Its a shame for Petter to be in this position. After last years ongoing development and improvement of the new Subaru, I thought Petter may have gotten a lease of life and be able to attack for wins and podiums like a few years ago. This rut brings a whole new dilemma. Maybe its best for Petter to get some early S2000 testing in and start a blank sheet when WRC cars are 'outta here!'

As for Henning, I also feel that the Ford never suited his driving style. But, on top of that, I believe he still needs to learn more about driving on tarmac and gravel. He's getting there but I don't think he's cut out for winning just yet, regardless of what he gets his hands on.

Best of luck to both for their 2009 campaign though. I hope they work something out :up:

Finni
29th December 2008, 22:47
What car Solberg's own team would use?

With good will from all parts Solberg should drive with semi-factory Citroen or Ford but if that happens is different thing.

Tomi
29th December 2008, 22:48
PSRT :eek:

A funny joke

MJW
29th December 2008, 22:53
What chances of Bozian running C4's? - I was told recently that Citroen only allow two "contract teams" (running rallies with all pre and post event work being done back at the Paris base) these teams were PH Sport and Bozian. I had only heared of PH Sport up til then and thought Bozain were a Peugeot satellite team. I guess it could be possible for Bozian to run C4'S for the Solberg brothers.
Perhaps Ton 206 wrc can tell us more.

Tomi
29th December 2008, 22:57
i sure hope he dont back out from that competitive car stuff, he was talking about a few days back.

Tom206wrc
29th December 2008, 23:07
What chances of Bozian running C4's? - I was told recently that Citroen only allow two "contract teams" (running rallies with all pre and post event work being done back at the Paris base) these teams were PH Sport and Bozian. I had only heared of PH Sport up til then and thought Bozain were a Peugeot satellite team. I guess it could be possible for Bozian to run C4'S for the Solberg brothers.

I have no news related about Bozian and Citroën !!! I only know the team has several whales... :s

Tomi
29th December 2008, 23:14
I have no news related about Bozian and Citroën !!! I only know the team has several whales... :s

they would get a better price/kg if they sell the whales to Japan.

Sulland
29th December 2008, 23:17
Its a shame for Petter to be in this position. After last years ongoing development and improvement of the new Subaru, I thought Petter may have gotten a lease of life and be able to attack for wins and podiums like a few years ago. This rut brings a whole new dilemma. Maybe its best for Petter to get some early S2000 testing in and start a blank sheet when WRC cars are 'outta here!'

As for Henning, I also feel that the Ford never suited his driving style. But, on top of that, I believe he still needs to learn more about driving on tarmac and gravel. He's getting there but I don't think he's cut out for winning just yet, regardless of what he gets his hands on.

Best of luck to both for their 2009 campaign though. I hope they work something out :up:

Henning was helpless on tarmac, but has improved after a lot of GoKart practice, but still has a lot to learn.

On the loose stuff he will be there with enough training and a car that suites his style.

Henning is a technical driver in the sense that he knows how all parts of the car works. But if he cant test, to understand the car - he will struggle more to set it up than other drivers that just explains how they feel to the engineer. Henning thinks like an engineer, but need to understand every nut and bolt himself to get it right. (At least I think this is how it is....)

In a smaller team he can easier do this, and maybe even buy his own training car, to pull it apart and put it back together !!

s.loeb
29th December 2008, 23:25
I think it is impossible citroen to run a second M2 team. Tom which are your opinion, is it possible to run a second team by Bozian??

52Paddy
30th December 2008, 00:32
Henning is a technical driver in the sense that he knows how all parts of the car works. But if he cant test, to understand the car - he will struggle more to set it up than other drivers that just explains how they feel to the engineer. Henning thinks like an engineer, but need to understand every nut and bolt himself to get it right. (At least I think this is how it is....)

In a smaller team he can easier do this, and maybe even buy his own training car, to pull it apart and put it back together !!

I see. Thats a valid point. Henning is a great asset to a team in that sense. Even though his driving style, as you say, is based on the technical aspects of the car, it sounds like he can offer a lot in terms of mechanical and engineering advice [Edit: in terms of feedback.]

I've no doubt that Henning has the know-how. He understands the working of cars and all of the details, but I think its getting all those details to piece together and work for him is whats letting him down. That coupled with his lack of experience on the loose and on asphalt. But I think Henning deserves to end up somewhere in 2009. He's also a funny guy, a big personality! :) :up:

Helstar
30th December 2008, 05:06

Correct reply ^^

Galli was also a disappointment in the Focus and Duval did not seem to get on with it all that well either.

If you consider what Latvala did in many years (as a privateer with Ford and then with Stobart) and what Gigi showed in a single season then you would change your mind - just look the difference of Latvala as a work driver and imagine what could be Gigi with a Ford work seat.
There's no need to say again the reasons of his 2008 results ... (read the Atkinson thread for details ^^).

RS
30th December 2008, 05:28
Correct reply ^^

If you consider what Latvala did in many years (as a privateer with Ford and then with Stobart) and what Gigi showed in a single season then you would change your mind - just look the difference of Latvala as a work driver and imagine what could be Gigi with a Ford work seat.
There's no need to say again the reasons of his 2008 results ... (read the Atkinson thread for details ^^).

This was not a criticsm of Gigi, I was just saying that some drivers don't seem to get on with it (the Focus) so well. Gigi and Duval are both agressive drivers, maybe the big soft, bouncy floaty Focus didn't suit their style. I would have thought both could have been better in a C4.

RS
30th December 2008, 05:33

Sulland, where did you get this quote? And do you know what PG thought of the Fabia?

Sulland
30th December 2008, 07:59
Sulland, where did you get this quote? And do you know what PG thought of the Fabia?

From here: http://www.ostlendingen.no/article/20081229/SPORT/412693925/1108

Translated:
http://translate.google.no/translate?hl=no&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ostlendingen.no%2Farticle%2F200 81229%2FSPORT%2F412693925%2F1108&sl=no&tl=en&history_state0=

Dont know what PG thought, maybe the swedes here have picked up something from swedish press.

Tom206wrc
30th December 2008, 08:25
I think it is impossible citroen to run a second M2 team. Tom which are your opinion, is it possible to run a second team by Bozian??

You mean both Solbergs driving the whales ???? :D

Possible after all, if budget is ready...I don't see Marc Valliccioni(new owner of Bozian) refusing... :p :

Brother John
30th December 2008, 08:55
You mean both Solbergs driving the whales ???? :D

Possible after all, if budget is ready...I don't see Marc Valliccioni(new owner of Bozian) refusing... :p :

They can better take the option starting their own team with the Xsara´s! :s mokin:

Tom206wrc
30th December 2008, 09:15
They can better take the option starting their own team with the Xsara´s! :s mokin:

Xsaras have never been adapted to the Pirelli tyres, unlike the whales(with Andreucci and Galli as main developpers)...so the cars risk to be deeply off pace :rolleyes:

eppel
30th December 2008, 10:20

Bozian Racing is not a Peugeot Sport Satellite Team anymore. It hasen´ t been for some years actually.

Koppomsbo
30th December 2008, 10:27
And do you know what PG thought of the Fabia?

He was very happy with the handling of the car, but he wants more time in it if he shall compare with the sx4 fully

Sulland
30th December 2008, 10:30
Yes maybe Xsara is an option, how does the Xsara and the 307 compare on gravel and asphalt ?

Psycho!
30th December 2008, 10:38
I thing that in terms of speed,with the same driver and tyres 307 is faster on both surfaces...

Gard
30th December 2008, 10:44
I thing that in terms of speed,with the same driver and tyres 307 is faster on both surfaces...

at the time when they competed at top level, xsara was faster on all surfaces. The difference now is that the 307 probably is more developed and closer to top spec than available Xsaras

Psycho!
30th December 2008, 10:47
Remember that Xsara had the super Michelins,while 307 was struggling with Pirellis...

J4MIE
30th December 2008, 11:10
I really hope that Petter doesn't opt for an older car, no matter what you say (and I love the 307 so would be great to see them out again) I want Petter to get a top line car, so Focus or C4 is the choice. If I was Malcolm Wilson I would be wanting the strongest possible team to get the manufacturers title back, and I think Petter is a better bet than Jari-Matti, still for now at least.

Wim_Impreza
30th December 2008, 11:52
I really hope that Petter doesn't opt for an older car, no matter what you say (and I love the 307 so would be great to see them out again) I want Petter to get a top line car, so Focus or C4 is the choice. If I was Malcolm Wilson I would be wanting the strongest possible team to get the manufacturers title back, and I think Petter is a better bet than Jari-Matti, still for now at least.

Petter a better bet than Latvala? No way, Latvala will improve next year and won't make much silly mistakes as this year. Petter is over his top and had also too much mistakes in the last years. Don't forget Atkinson had a lot more podiums in 2008 than Petter.

Daniel
30th December 2008, 11:54
Petter a better bet than Latvala? No way, Latvala will improve next year and won't make much silly mistakes as this year. Petter is over his top and had also too much mistakes in the last years. Don't forget Atkinson had a lot more podiums in 2008 than Petter.

Petter is proven. Latvala is a rough diamond. Latvala has the potential to be a much greater driver than Petter ever was, or a much crappier driver.

Tom206wrc
30th December 2008, 12:15

Wow the soul of one of the forum's Finns has re-incarnated in your head, Wim ??? :laugh:

J4MIE
30th December 2008, 12:34
If I was to bet on whether Petter or Jari-Matti finished any particular stage, I wouldn't bet my house on Jari-Matti..........

WRCfan
30th December 2008, 12:50
Ford would be crazy to let Latvala go, once he settles down a bit more he would be better placed than Mikko to challenge Seb on a apples for apples basis I feel. He has more outright speed than Mikko just now he is going through the "crash happy" stage like many of the greats went through.

shaitan
30th December 2008, 12:51
If I was to bet on whether Petter or Jari-Matti finished any particular stage, I wouldn't bet my house on Jari-Matti..........
I am not a fan of Petter.but for now he definitly better than Jari-Matti.

J4MIE
30th December 2008, 13:52
Ford would be crazy to let Latvala go, once he settles down a bit more he would be better placed than Mikko to challenge Seb on a apples for apples basis I feel. He has more outright speed than Mikko just now he is going through the "crash happy" stage like many of the greats went through.

I agree, I didn't say they should let him go ;) I rate him highly as well, but att he crucial time when the future of the sport is uncertain, then points win prizes.

If Petter can bring some money (and I can't see him going without sponsorship, he's too commercially valuable) then it's effectively giving Latvala a free seat.

RS
30th December 2008, 13:58
It sounds like Henning might warn Petter off a customer Focus, so if he does appear in a Ford I guess it will have to be the works team.

This is where the scoring rules in IRC are better, it would be quite an incentive for Malcolm to run Petter in a proper Focus if he could also score manufacturer points instead of all this M2 "Team" nonsense.

Tom206wrc
30th December 2008, 14:11
It sounds like Henning might warn Petter off a customer Focus, so if he does appear in a Ford I guess it will have to be the works team.

Could "smell" more and more Solberg brothers in Bozian whales for 2009 :bounce:

Tomi
30th December 2008, 14:41
It sounds like Henning might warn Petter off a customer Focus

Really, can you post a link from where you did get this?

RS
30th December 2008, 14:52
Really, can you post a link from where you did get this?

In the link that Sulland posted earlier.. He does not directly say that, but he sounds quite unhappy with how his year went: http://translate.google.no/translate?hl=no&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ostlendingen.no%2Farticle%2F200 81229%2FSPORT%2F412693925%2F1108&sl=no&tl=en&history_state0=

Tomi
30th December 2008, 15:07
In the link that Sulland posted earlier.. He does not directly say that, but he sounds quite unhappy with how his year went: http://translate.google.no/translate?hl=no&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ostlendingen.no%2Farticle%2F200 81229%2FSPORT%2F412693925%2F1108&sl=no&tl=en&history_state0=

well with a load of imagination you can come to such conclusion from that story.

RS
30th December 2008, 15:19
well with a load of imagination you can come to such conclusion from that story.

I don't think it takes a lot if you couple that with the fact he is looking at a 307 for an option and said he preferred even driving a 3 year old Fabia to the Focus. Are you a Ford fan too?

Tomi
30th December 2008, 15:28
I don't think it takes a lot if you couple that with the fact he is looking at a 307 for an option and said he preferred even driving a 3 year old Fabia to the Focus. Are you a Ford fan too?

No, im not a fan of any car, drivers seldom bash any car they just have driven anyway, can well be that he is looking for cheaper options than Ford, if they maybe are not willing to sponsor him the same amount as before. The reasons can be many.

Sulland
30th December 2008, 19:45
I think the MSport tactics is going far into the M2 teams. I think that together with the fact that the Focus seems to be hard to get to work for a lot of drivers, (including Henning) will be a factor both brothers take into account when making a choice for 09.

Tactics is starting to play a far to big of a role in WRC, that is also part of the reason I like IRC better. So far it seems fairer and squarer, but that might change when more money is on the line.....

Tomi
30th December 2008, 19:56
I think the MSport tactics is going far into the M2 teams. I think that together with the fact that the Focus seems to be hard to get to work for a lot of drivers, (including Henning) will be a factor both brothers take into account when making a choice for 09.

Tactics is starting to play a far to big of a role in WRC, that is also part of the reason I like IRC better. So far it seems fairer and squarer, but that might change when more money is on the line.....

I think the stobart guys did very much as expected, nothing bad with gallis or duvals driving in my opinion. If henning cry's it for some other reasons.

Gard
31st December 2008, 00:04
I think the stobart guys did very much as expected, nothing bad with gallis or duvals driving in my opinion. If henning cry's it for some other reasons.
Don't blame Henning for the crying, most of it is from other sources and Bosse. But with inboards an so, some slips of tongue has come out.

Both Henning and Galli has been frustrated by the treatment from MW. This is some of the reason Expert has put their foot down. They want a contract that garanties the best possible machinery and not to be held back if doing well. They have an outspoken goal about winning RN

Tomi
31st December 2008, 00:17
Don't blame Henning for the crying, most of it is from other sources and Bosse. But with inboards an so, some slips of tongue has come out.

Both Henning and Galli has been frustrated by the treatment from MW. This is some of the reason Expert has put their foot down. They want a contract that garanties the best possible machinery and not to be held back if doing well. They have an outspoken goal about winning RN

Can you give some links, mainly the Bosse thing, and also where Galli criticise the team he just 1-2 weeks ago kind of praised.

Tom206wrc
31st December 2008, 09:26
News about the Solbergs the 2nd january ???? :confused:

Zeakiwi
31st December 2008, 09:53
How many car shows are the Solberg brothers booked to attend in 2009 ? Is that an alternative career option ?

realistic- In 1992? Subaru did the Safari Rally with Justy model cars. In the spirit of recession should the Solbergs do the 2009 pwrc with group n imprezas if they can find the backing and a place in the pwrc entry? Perhaps PS could do a few classic/ historic events in the Justy or build one up.

Dream- With Toyota still in F1, should PS/ HS form a Toyota Norway Team (TNT) PS and PGA as drivers with HS as (crash) tester and engineer. If the euros/ kronars? are around for a Scan s2000 Corolla/ Auris program. PS drove Celica last century.(toyota and subaru are they still planning on sharing a platform base ?)

Englandsfahrer
31st December 2008, 10:45
PS drove Celica last century.
Actually, what he did was crash Hennings Celica. :D

DonJippo
31st December 2008, 10:48

Some people in Expert have lost their touch to the reality.

Tomi
31st December 2008, 12:13
Petter looses about 7 milj €, the salary + personal sponsor contracts, Subaru dont have to pay him nothing.

Sourse: Finansavisen

Tom206wrc
31st December 2008, 12:52
Petter looses about 7 milj €, the salary + personal sponsor contracts, Subaru dont have to pay him nothing.

That can put his 2009 season in doubt if it's true :s :s

MJW
31st December 2008, 12:56

Apparently according to Norwegian media that was "yesterdays news" - today they report that he will be paid. I think its unfair for us here on the forum to speculate about details of contracts and salaries.
But I am sure a lot of negotiation and compromise has taken place before Petter was allowed to drive other makes.

Tomi
31st December 2008, 13:06
Apparently according to Norwegian media that was "yesterdays news" - today they report that he will be paid. I think its unfair for us here on the forum to speculate about details of contracts and salaries.
But I am sure a lot of negotiation and compromise has taken place before Petter was allowed to drive other makes.

Yes, VG says today that he will get some compensation from subaru.
The Finansavisen claimed that it was solberg him self saying that they did have a clausul in the contract, so it was no speculation.

Barreis
31st December 2008, 13:17
Rather without driving than to loose that money.. Anyway they are destroying codrivers or themselves and still have to pay millions for that.. Strange!

JFL
31st December 2008, 15:48
Hi! Best bet from me is: Due to Petter's good relations(with Subaru,FHI) and reduced sallery, I guess we'll se him in a own team with a Solberg spec s14. Teammate H.Solberg?Maybe.?
I think H. is better of in whale then in the Stobart Focus! More testing, and all the parts and setting he needs, will do better then just to jump in a zero-tuned/adjusted Focus! But if M.W will give him the value for his money, with testing, correct parts(diffs,gearboxes .etc) I'll think we will see him in a Focus! Happy newyear everybody!

Tom206wrc
31st December 2008, 16:07
I want to still believe Henning in the whale ;)

Edit: and Petter Solberg again in S14 ??? So long to the dreams of victory :s :s

MJW
31st December 2008, 18:57
I guess Henning in a whale and PSRT running a Subaru. Maybe some rallycross also for both.
WRC 2009 becomes even more a rich kids rallying adventure with the likes of Rauntenbach now actually possibly denying a better talent of a car, even though both would "bring money". (There are very few "proper Focus and C4s and S14's in existence.)As Meeke said in the British press before Christmas WRC is now a really sick dog. It will be interesting to see how the year unfolds if the likes of Garde, PG, Duval, Meeke etc get on on IRC & how people will view both championships on next years New Years Eve.

52Paddy
31st December 2008, 19:57
WRC 2009 becomes even more a rich kids rallying adventure with the likes of Rauntenbach now actually possibly denying a better talent of a car, even though both would "bring money". (There are very few "proper Focus and C4s and S14's in existence.)As Meeke said in the British press before Christmas WRC is now a really sick dog. It will be interesting to see how the year unfolds if the likes of Garde, PG, Duval, Meeke etc get on on IRC & how people will view both championships on next years New Years Eve.

I agree. I think it looks like a better choice for the Solberg's to do something else for 2009 at least, rather than become tag-alongs in a championship that is almost in the depths of despondency! If the WRC does get back on its feet in 2010, how likely would the Solbergs get their seat back with a top team, if they didn't compete next year?

Its still all up in the air and time is running out.

Tom206wrc
1st January 2009, 12:11
Happy New Year to Petter and Henning :bounce:

Tom206wrc
2nd January 2009, 08:23
I hope today we will have definitely official news regarding 2009 program of Solbergs :rolleyes:

Halvard
2nd January 2009, 09:43
I hope today we will have definitely official news regarding 2009 program of Solbergs :rolleyes:

Why today, Tom?

A.F.F.
2nd January 2009, 10:11
Because Tom is famous for his incompetence of waiting.

pucky54
2nd January 2009, 10:16
...because today is entry closing date for Henning

J4MIE
2nd January 2009, 11:05
Tom is just keen, I like his attitude!! ;) :up:

Tom206wrc
2nd January 2009, 11:05
...because today is entry closing date for Henning

Exactly... ;)

Psycho!
2nd January 2009, 11:09
Because Tom is famous for his incompetence of waiting.
Just imagine the season with Petter driving a Focus or a C4 and the season in which Petter will be absent...The difference is huge!!!

Tom206wrc
2nd January 2009, 11:59
http://www.motorsport.no/wip4/skjer_henning/d.epl?cat=13747&id=403040

:confused:

MikeD
2nd January 2009, 12:03
http://www.motorsport.no/wip4/skjer_henning/d.epl?cat=13747&id=403040

It says that Expert will have a press release later today to tell their plans ... or lack of them. The meeting is expected to be a long one but signs/rumours are that Expert won't support H.Solberg in 2009.

Tom206wrc
2nd January 2009, 12:04
Thanks MikeD...I wait then(and worry) :mark:

Tom206wrc
2nd January 2009, 16:07
News ?? :confused:

Daniel
2nd January 2009, 16:17
News? News? News?

I need news! Has anyone got any news? :confused:

JFL
2nd January 2009, 17:08
Not yet! I guess it's a long meeting!

J4MIE
2nd January 2009, 17:42
Fingers crossed for Henning :s

Tom206wrc
2nd January 2009, 17:45
Not yet! I guess it's a long meeting!

If it's to announce an end of sponsoring Henning and rallying I don't understand why it takes so long time :s

Halvard
2nd January 2009, 18:03
Inside information (have no idea if you can trust it) says that Expert will decrease the support, but continue. Maybe decrease numbers of rallies. The meeting is maybe about details in the future deal.

JFL
2nd January 2009, 18:07
Inside information (have no idea if you can trust it) says that Expert will decrease the support, but continue. Maybe decrease numbers of rallies. Probaly details they are working with.....

Thats true!

Henning's wife is as we speak drinking champagne! (from her facebook-profile) For what reason I dont know! Maybe a celebration for more quality-time with him? ;) Time will show!

Tom206wrc
2nd January 2009, 18:17

A.F.F.
2nd January 2009, 18:18
Well, I did my share. I just bought a s**t-load of stuff from Expert. I recommend you henning fans do the same :D

Halvard
2nd January 2009, 18:20
New contract for 12 rallies next year..... from nrk. Very good news

Gard
2nd January 2009, 18:22
Even got testing and better priority in the contract

Roy
2nd January 2009, 18:22

Good news indeed! And the car? The bozian rumours are true or is go further with Ford?

Sulland
2nd January 2009, 18:23
Still in a Focus still orange, but a deal with more priority and more testing from the team !

Gongrat Henning and Cato and the sponsors !

JFL
Champagne here tonight to then... Congrats Henning and Cato.. :)

Tom206wrc

And what car, definitely, for Henning ??? :confused:

Good news indeed :up:

Edit: OK JFL answered ;)

dimviii
2nd January 2009, 18:24
is it for sure?

edit. seems to be sure!

good news for wrc.every entry counts.

Viking
2nd January 2009, 18:27
Seems like it is.... Ford Focus

Roy
2nd January 2009, 18:30
A Focus, better news :D And testing GOOD!!! :bounce:

http://www.nrksport.no/motorsport/rally-vm/1.6382604

Translate:
http://translate.google.be/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nrksport.no%2Fmotorsp ort%2Frally-vm%2F1.6382604&sl=no&tl=en&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

A.F.F.
2nd January 2009, 18:32
good news for wrc.every entry counts.

Really? Every entry?

Roy
2nd January 2009, 18:34
Really? Every entry?

Yes, even a Skoda. ;)

pettersolberg29
2nd January 2009, 18:43
Crushes my dreams of a Solberg WRT!

Sulland
2nd January 2009, 18:53
Crushes my dreams of a Solberg WRT!

Maybe next year, with a bit more time for planning !

Barreis
2nd January 2009, 18:57
Thanx God it's not 307 (old tech.) for H.Solberg. Great news!

Tom206wrc
2nd January 2009, 18:58
Now let's wait for Petter's decision :D :D

But quickly, entry limit for Norway rally is 8th january :mark:

Finni
2nd January 2009, 19:02
let's see what happens to Petter. If Henning can get 11 miljons krunor then Petter will have 33 miljons. There is money, there is resources there is competitive cars (Ford for Henning, Citroen for Atkinson). It's now only question of Petter's will, if he is ready to face Loeb in the same car or Ford boys. Natural decision would Ford. Impreza is waste of time. Even IRC would be more rational place.

swordsman
2nd January 2009, 19:05
More on the Henning subject: http://www.maxattack.net/2009/01/henning-drives-full-season-2009/

Tom206wrc
2nd January 2009, 19:20
More on the Henning subject: http://www.maxattack.net/2009/01/henning-drives-full-season-2009/

I agree a bit...He criticized the Focus he had in 2008 and strongest rumours announced him in the whale for this season... :mark:

Maybe FIA didn't accept he and Bozian to homologate new parts :confused:

A.F.F.
2nd January 2009, 19:33
Yes, even a Skoda. ;)

Ouch!

:p :

J4MIE
2nd January 2009, 19:57
Ok :up: Now we just wait for Petter :bounce:

jbmarcus21
2nd January 2009, 20:11
Great for Henning full season !!!

But now for which Team, he will drive... Munchi's ? Stobart ? Or not team just private driver ..?

52Paddy
2nd January 2009, 20:13
Great news for Henning. The 2008 season will have proved a great testing ground for Henning, considering that he will still be in a Ford this season. Even though he finds the car difficult to get to grips with, he's going to be quite familiar with it having raced one last season. I'm happy that he has a full campaign for 2009 and best of luck to him with it. It would be so good to have him on the podium in Norway. :)

Pity that Petter still hasn't found the same joy. Hopefully something will come his way before long. I'm sure he'll be back at some stage, but I would like to see him in the early part of 2009 with a competitive machine.

Micke_VOC
2nd January 2009, 20:17
He gonna be the first driver for M2 Stobart

Finni
2nd January 2009, 20:30
Even though he finds the car difficult to get to grips with, he's going to be quite familiar with it having raced one last season. ne.

I don't know from where is coming supposition that Ford is unsuitable car to Henning. I don't remember that Henning would have been more near to top in any other car.

And obviously Henning is too unhappy with Ford-treatment because he is again driving with them.

Tomi
2nd January 2009, 20:37
He gonna be the first driver for M2 Stobart

yes, and get twice the amount test time the stobart second driver gets.

jbmarcus21
2nd January 2009, 20:38
yes, and get twice the amount test time the stobart second driver gets.

Really number 1 Stobart Driver ?? It is official ?

Tomi
2nd January 2009, 20:43
Really number 1 Stobart Driver ?? It is official ?
No, actually I dont think they have a nr1 driver

JFL
2nd January 2009, 20:51
Anyways, if he gets one test, thats a lot more then he did have before! :) Hopefully the Stobart-crew will also bring the right spare parts to every round!

jbmarcus21
2nd January 2009, 20:53
last year, Henning did not test ? not ?

Tom206wrc
2nd January 2009, 20:54
It's in the interests of Malcolm Wilson to give Henning what he wants and hoping he can threaten Atkinson, Sordo, Ogier and Novikov... :p :

It's also in his interest to take Petter in the team... ;)

DonJippo
2nd January 2009, 20:59
It's also in his interest to take Petter in the team... ;)

If Petter is ready to pay I'm sure Malcolm will welcome him to drive with Ford.

jbmarcus21
2nd January 2009, 21:00
A for second Stobart Driver who is he ?

Maybe Galli for 8 rounds not ?

Gard
2nd January 2009, 21:03
I don't know from where is coming supposition that Ford is unsuitable car to Henning. I don't remember that Henning would have been more near to top in any other car.

And obviously Henning is too unhappy with Ford-treatment because he is again driving with them.

Thats why Expert demanded both testing and priority in the contract

JFL
2nd January 2009, 21:06
last year, Henning did not test ? not ?
Nope! He tested before Rally sweden in 07.
After that he has used shakedown and rallies for testing. But after he finally found the setup, the race was over. And in the next rally he asked to have the car the same again, but that was'nt so... So he had to try again.. That's over now I hope...

DonJippo
2nd January 2009, 21:26
Thats why Expert demanded both testing and priority in the contract

Who has said he will have more tests and priority?

JFL
2nd January 2009, 21:28
Who has said he will have more tests and priority?

The contract he signed! (M.Wilson)

DonJippo
2nd January 2009, 21:30
The contract he signed! (M.Wilson)

Have you seen the contract or has M. Wilson said so?

JFL
2nd January 2009, 21:32
Have you seen the contract or has M. Wilson said so?
Henning said so in the news! "I'm very happy with new agreement we have done with them. More prority and testing-

http://www1.nrk.no/nett-tv/sport/spill/verdi/86061 (http://www1.nrk.no/nett-tv/sport/spill/verdi/86061)(for those who understand a little norwegian :) )

DonJippo
2nd January 2009, 21:49
Henning said so in the news! "I'm very happy with new agreement we have done with them. More prority and testing-

http://www1.nrk.no/nett-tv/sport/spill/verdi/86061 (http://www1.nrk.no/nett-tv/sport/spill/verdi/86061)(for those who understand a little norwegian :) )

So only Henning would have been better to hear it also from Mr Wilson...

Buzz Lightyear
2nd January 2009, 23:21
MSport will be out to gleen as much money as possible this year, as their dominence of the privateer market is disappearing, and will be further weakened with the 2010 regs and Super 2000.

bluuford
2nd January 2009, 23:33
A for second Stobart Driver who is he ?

Maybe Galli for 8 rounds not ?

Wilson Junior is already confirmed for 12 rallies and Aava is still talking with them. Rumors said that he will announce his program during this week but there is nothing yet.
So, now we have

Ford:
1. Latvala 12 rounds,
2. Hirvonen 12 rounds,
3. Wilson 12 rounds,
4. Henning 12 rounds,
5. Villagra 8 rounds,
6. Qassimi x rounds
7. Merkensteijn 8 rounds
8. Merkensteijn 8 rounds

Citroen:
1. Loeb 12 rounds
2. Sordo 12 rounds
3. Rautenbach 12 rounds
4. Ogier 6+x rounds
5. Novikov 8 rounds
6. Atkinson 1+x rounds

Subaru:
1. Ostberg 8 rounds

So, in my mind it looks that C4 is currently overbooked. before the season, Citroen told that they are able to service 5 cars for each rally. So, if Atkinson manages to extend his contract to Norway, then there should be already 6 C4-s. And if young hot shoes like Ogier and Novikov somehow "destroy" their cars (and quite likely Rautenbach as well), then there is a small problem in Citroen camp already.

At the same time there is one car virtually missing for Munchis (if they wont decide that for 4 rounds Wilson and Henning are scoring points for Munchis). So, there might be a place for Galli, Aava or why not P. Solberg? They have 13 latest spec Focuses and therefore enough capacity:-)

The most attractive currently looks Subaru Adapta. They have many cars, Prodrive support and only one certain driver :-) And currently it looks unlikely that Prodrive takes over Honda F1 team.

And I am surprised by the price Henning payed. Only 11 milj Norwegian kr? That is just a little bit over 1 milj Eur for the whole season?

I think that it is vital for the Ford championship hopes to "hire" (with little bit reduced sponsor money of course) at least one of those drivers (Solberg, Galli and Aava).

Tomi
2nd January 2009, 23:36
I think that it is vital for the Ford championship hopes to hire at least one of those drivers (Solberg, Galli and Aava).

Hopefully Aava.

c4
3rd January 2009, 00:23
Qassimi meant to be doing 6 rounds starting with Rally Ireland

Camelopard
3rd January 2009, 00:24
It says that Expert will have a press release later today to tell their plans ... or lack of them. The meeting is expected to be a long one but signs/rumours are that Expert won't support H.Solberg in 2009.

MikeD with his finger on the pulse as usual!!! :)

Glad you aren't giving any Expert advice or consulting for my companies..... :)

Excellent news for Henning, now we need to see his brother in a blue oval as well.

noel157
3rd January 2009, 00:31
What is the problem with Adapta signing a second driver? Nobody willing to pay the asking price? Anybody that has the budget does not want to drive a Subaru? What gives?

tmx
3rd January 2009, 02:54
What is the problem with Adapta signing a second driver? Nobody willing to pay the asking price? Anybody that has the budget does not want to drive a Subaru? What gives?
It's not a good car.

Jaanus
3rd January 2009, 06:46
At the same time there is one car virtually missing for Munchis (if they wont decide that for 4 rounds Wilson and Henning are scoring points for Munchis). So, there might be a place for Galli, Aava or why not P. Solberg? They have 13 latest spec Focuses and therefore enough capacity:-)

Munchis Ford World Rally Team Estonia sounds lovely ;)

Brother John
3rd January 2009, 07:52
Well, I did my share. I just bought a s**t-load of stuff from Expert. I recommend you henning fans do the same :D

So we are both sponsors from Henning this year. ;) I bought a new TV yesterday at expert. :s mokin:

Salist
3rd January 2009, 08:16
Very good news!!!!
http://www.rallybuzz.com/henning-solberg-expert-focus-confirmed-2009/

+ 1 Ford Focus WRC :)

Psycho!
3rd January 2009, 08:44
Guys there is a new article about Petter on vg.no.Can anyone translate it??Thank you in advance...

Glee
3rd January 2009, 08:54
So we are both sponsors from Henning this year. ;) I bought a new TV yesterday at expert. :s mokin:

I am going to by a new freezer and a dishwasher, but not to day, today I have to use all my time shoveling snow...

Salist
3rd January 2009, 08:55
Guys there is a new article about Petter on vg.no.Can anyone translate it??Thank you in advance...

http://www.vg.no/pub/vgart.hbs?artid=549957

Patwrc
3rd January 2009, 08:59
http://www.vg.no/pub/vgart.hbs?artid=549957

I wander if it means Petter will enter Rally Norway?

Glee
3rd January 2009, 09:05

It is an article from NTB witch most news had yesterday. It states that Petter is unsure if he can drive Rally Norway:

Google translate:
Petter unsure if he reaches Rally Norway

Petter Solberg is far from sure if he prefer to gather threads and sign off on the Rally Norway, on time, leaving 6 January.

When the NTB was in conversation with Solberg Friday, said 34-year-old that he was not much closer to any particular solution for the 2009-season than he was before new years eve.

- It will go a while before I get things completely in place. If I manage to achieve something by the deadline runs out is quite impossible to say, "said the former Subaru-driver.

Free from contract

Solberg lost the job when the Subaru just before Christmas pulled out of the WRC. IHe was freed from the contract with the Japanese carmaker, but he is negotiating a new agreement with the factory to compensate some of the lost employee's annual salary of 6 million euros (60 million).

From several quarters, it is speculation about Solberg going to start their own rallyteam with money from their own pocket. The options are offered a seat from one of the remaining factory teams in single races, or he must buy him a place in a factory-backed teams.

- Working on something

- I have not spoken anything about what goes on. I have something going on, but still it can go one way or the other way. I still do not work in detail in this project, "says Solberg to NTB.

WRC starts in Ireland 30 January with Petter Solberg. 13. February starts Rally Norway.

Psycho!
3rd January 2009, 09:35
If I am right,everything depends on the money he will/won't take from Subaru??

Tomi
3rd January 2009, 10:07
If I am right,everything depends on the money he will/won't take from Subaru??

did he not say that he has the budget long time ago already.

MikeD
3rd January 2009, 10:50
MikeD with his finger on the pulse as usual!!! :)

Glad you aren't giving any Expert advice or consulting for my companies..... :)

I was just translating what was written in the article for Tom :rolleyes: "Vi har hørt rykter om at Expert trekker seg som sponsor for Henning Solberg" which means "but signs/rumours are that Expert won't support H.Solberg"

Buzz Lightyear
3rd January 2009, 11:51
What surprise me is Petters salary... €6m/year? He obviously negioated that after becoming WRC Champ, some years ago.

52Paddy
3rd January 2009, 13:35

Two factors are the lack of testing he had during the 08 season and also the bias Malcolm Wilson had for his factory drivers. It seemed that Munchi's and Stobart would just play a part in insuring Latvala and Hirvonen got top results.

Also, when he tested the Fabia he gave it very positive feedback and said it could be a race winner, despite it being outdated.

Sure, with more testing for 2009 on the cards, I'm confident that this will help Henning adopt to the car quicker over the course of a rally weekend. :up:

Edit: So basically, my previous comment was concluding that he wasn't given the proper opportunity to get good results because he was driving a car with no testing done. And, Malcolm would favour his Abu Dhabi team over the rest (kind of understandable.)

ARF
3rd January 2009, 14:21
Well, anybody who knows rallying, also knows that you should keep Solberg bros as far away from testing as you can :)

Tomi
3rd January 2009, 14:36
Well, anybody who knows rallying, also knows that you should keep Solberg bros as far away from testing as you can :)

well said, especially the younger one :)

Sulland
3rd January 2009, 16:38
What surprise me is Petters salary... €6m/year? He obviously negioated that after becoming WRC Champ, some years ago.

I agree that that is high if you see the results, but he is still a superstar in Japan and that might help !

But Rally at top level need to get away from that the best drivers have to pay to drive. They need to get paid from the team that runs them, and from their sponsors. Maybe a couple of personal sponsors on top of that.

If not the sport will die !

Glee
3rd January 2009, 23:14

It is however a difference in testing the car (for development) and testing for personal setup before a rally...

AndyRAC
4th January 2009, 00:33
I am going to by a new freezer and a dishwasher, but not to day, today I have to use all my time shoveling snow...

Have been on the 'expert' website, and it appears that the only country in the EU not served by them is - UK. Anybody know why??

Psycho!
5th January 2009, 09:57
Any news about Petter??Time is running out and I think everything is decided,because no miracles can happen in the last day...

Halvis
5th January 2009, 10:52
Any news about Petter??Time is running out and I think everything is decided,because no miracles can happen in the last day...

No news on his webpage since 28/12 - either he keeps his cards tight to his chest, or it looks difficult.

Psycho!
5th January 2009, 11:46
There is a fresh article about Petter but I don't understand if it says something new...Help!! http://www.hamar-dagblad.no/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090104/HDSPORT/375258745/1011/HDABONNEMENT

jbmarcus21
5th January 2009, 12:00
There is a fresh article about Petter but I don't understand if it says something new...Help!! http://www.hamar-dagblad.no/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090104/HDSPORT/375258745/1011/HDABONNEMENT

the english translation http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http://www.hamar-dagblad.no/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090104/HDSPORT/375258745/1011/HDABONNEMENT&&hl=fr&ie=UTF-8&sl=no&tl=en

Not easy for Petter to Norway entry ..

Gard
5th January 2009, 12:03

Only says that the organizer of RN, not have heard from Petter. and that he will get the entry postponed, if needed.

Buzz Lightyear
5th January 2009, 12:07
At last, people in high places know what its like for the younger generation to make it to WRC. If a former world champion cannot find sponsorship to do his home rally, then there is a real problem. My advice would be for petter to go to monte carlo.

AndyRAC
5th January 2009, 12:32
At last, people in high places know what its like for the younger generation to make it to WRC. If a former world champion cannot find sponsorship to do his home rally, then there is a real problem. My advice would be for petter to go to monte carlo.

Exactly - if proof were needed that the WRCar formula has reached it's end it's this. Plus other talented drivers searching for scraps so they can get a drive. PG is considering driving his own Gp N Lancer in Norway. What about Duval, Wilks,. etc?????

Gard
5th January 2009, 13:10

the sponsorship is in place. A competitive car and team is the challenge

Buzz Lightyear
5th January 2009, 13:14
the sponsorship is in place. A competitive car and team is the challenge

I'll believe that when he is in a fully branded car sitting on the start line. Prodrive would give him a car, but even their works driver doesnt want to hire it.

Abarth
5th January 2009, 15:55
Petter should go to IRC for 09.

Then he will have fun again, and for less than half the prize.
He can be in a car that can win rallies, he has not been that since 03 !!

jbanbury
5th January 2009, 16:29
Then he will have fun again, and for less than half the prize.

I agree ... the IRC is less than half the prize ;)

Halvis
6th January 2009, 08:33
Strange new message on Petter Solberg's homepage now, no date when posted or implications for him, just:

"Rally Ireland kicks off the 2009 season, 29 Jan - 1 Feb."

Should we get our hopes up? I don't know.

J4MIE
6th January 2009, 09:02
Don't think that's new. It's true the season starts in Ireland but doesn't say he'll be there.......

Halvis
6th January 2009, 09:26
Don't think that's new. It's true the season starts in Ireland but doesn't say he'll be there.......

I know this - my point is that I don't think that message was there yesterday. Maybe I'm wrong, though - I just felt it was a bit strange how it looks.

bauwie
6th January 2009, 10:34
I know this - my point is that I don't think that message was there yesterday. Maybe I'm wrong, though - I just felt it was a bit strange how it looks.

And now all his sites are offline.

Is something happening?

J4MIE
6th January 2009, 10:39
It was on his site yesterday, I remember seeing it and thinking the same thing :p :

Hopefully his site is just being changed or something now :s

Psycho!
6th January 2009, 10:45
It's OK now...No changes.

Sulland
6th January 2009, 13:23
Petter i working as a maniac, and need to either have a car, or apply for new suspense by 1500 CET.

30 min left !

pucky54
6th January 2009, 13:42
10 mins

pucky54
6th January 2009, 13:47
5 mins

pucky54
6th January 2009, 13:54
Closed!

Sulland
6th January 2009, 14:01
Petter has applied FIA for extension until friday.
http://www.nrksport.no/motorsport/1.6399012

Translated:
http://translate.google.no/translate?hl=no&sl=no&tl=en&u=http://www.nrksport.no/motorsport/1.6399012

Gard
6th January 2009, 14:37
Petter has asked for postponement until friday. FIA decides if he gets it.

Psycho!
6th January 2009, 14:52
FIA will definitely accept his request!!Guys,be patient everything will be cleared on Friday...

urabus-denoS2000
6th January 2009, 14:55
Lets hope...

SubaruNorway
6th January 2009, 17:11
Petter got until tuesday he says now.
http://www.vg.no/pub/vgart.hbs?artid=535730

VFTS
6th January 2009, 17:16
Petter got until tuesday he says now.
http://www.vg.no/pub/vgart.hbs?artid=535730

All the competitors can wait one week...

http://www.rallynorway.no/no/pressemeldinger/pamelding-utsatt.html

http://www.norsk-rally.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=5881 :p ameldingsfristen-til-rally-norway-utsatt-en-uke

52Paddy
6th January 2009, 19:19
The suspense.....

I just hope it all ends happily ever after. :p :

Psycho!
6th January 2009, 20:17
Now it seems to me that if Petter continues in 2009,he will do it with his own team and that's the reason he wants more time.Negotiations with Wilson or Quensel would have shown from the beggining their success,so I suppose that he is trying to set-up his team at the moment.What do you thing??

MJW
6th January 2009, 20:41
If Petter sets up his own team where would that leave him for 2010 when the new generation comes out?
I am not saying that he wont drive with his own team, but you must have things like engineers, logistics, someone for the splits on the radio, weather info, etc. Its a big thing to set up your own team.
I guess (with Norway being an oil producer) if the sponsor is oil company that would be a conflict with BP and Total, perhaps thats what needs sorting. Also, with an eye to 2010 one should consider Abarth, Citroen, Peugot, Ford? may be the teams, based on that there is not much logic in running a PSWRT Subaru.

Psycho!
6th January 2009, 20:54
These new teams will provide more driving seats,so it will be easier for Petter to drive.And which new team wouldn't like to have a world champion and an experienced driver?

gloomyDAY
7th January 2009, 01:09
Petter could take a year long break from the WRC and tackle other rallies.

This idea is far fetched since much of the time drivers cannot leave the WRC and come back with the expectation to be successful. That probably applies to most sports in general. Petter should just hang up the rally shoes and look for greener pastures in 2010 since there is little room for opportunity today. Also, why would Petter want to rally with a Subaru? Is he a masochist? He's had 3+ years of dread inside the blue n' yellow crapbox, so I doubt Petter is readying himself for more of the same?

Finni
8th January 2009, 14:07
According to finnish mtv3 Petter is negotiating with Ford. Furthermore it says that Petter broke bone in his hand in Bettega memorial.

swordsman
8th January 2009, 14:11
Bone is no news... However, Ford are :)

Psycho!
8th January 2009, 14:13
Interesting!!Let's see how the story ends up...finally!!!

Tom206wrc
8th January 2009, 14:39
Yep, but if Malcolm Wilson doesn't take Solberg P. in factory drive, it won't really bring him lots to see him drive a privateer Focus(I mean points for the manufacturer)... :mark:

DonJippo
8th January 2009, 14:44
According to finnish mtv3 Petter is negotiating with Ford.

Yes and if Petter is willing to pay enough Malcolm has a car for him...

Gard
8th January 2009, 18:21
Petter is in England to sort out the last details. That rules out C4 I believe

Tom206wrc
8th January 2009, 18:37
More suspense against Citroën's campaign me guess ;)

Finni
8th January 2009, 18:42

That sounds great! Ford is natural option because taking seat from Loeb's team sounds too dangerous. Even Loeb commented few years back - when it seemed that Citroen might retire - that he don't want to drive Subaru and to face Petter in his own team.

Now we just have to wait details. What's Petter's exact status in the team.

Exciting things happening.

Psycho!
8th January 2009, 18:51
Where did you listen that?I mean the source is reliable??

bauwie
8th January 2009, 18:54
Where did you listen that?I mean the source is reliable??

It's on the site of rally norway.

Sulland
8th January 2009, 19:03
It can of course be RAMSport he is talking to. How new cars can they get their hands on - Can they get hold of a 08 Focus ?

Barreis
8th January 2009, 19:05
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/72669

Daniel
8th January 2009, 19:09
France and the UK are very close to each other you know :)

Psycho!
8th January 2009, 19:17
He has gone to England for the show,for negotiations or both?

MJW
8th January 2009, 19:25
I suspect its more of a working visit to sort out details rather than taking a look at the exhibits.
Autosport magazine (printed version not the online version) said they were talking to Ramsport for Norway. It also said that Petter was "talking to people at the show". Whilst it is in England the Autosport Show is an international show and its quite feasable that Petter may be in meetings with, Ford Citroen or even teams for 2010. I guess we will hear something definate over the weekend. That autosport article said that Chris' deal with Citroen will be extended to 9 rallies and he could even replace Sordo in the official team for some events, Australia specificallty was mentioned.

JFL
8th January 2009, 19:26
He has gone to England for the show,for negotiations or both?
Both! And to say hello, and thanks for everything to prodrive...

Finni
8th January 2009, 21:22
I guess we will hear something definate over the weekend. That autosport article said that Chris' deal with Citroen will be extended to 9 rallies

What article?

MJW
8th January 2009, 21:57
What article?
In the printed version of today's Autosport magazine on the same page (in a sub article) refering to the fact that Atko had got himself sorted for Ireland it said that this will probably be extended to 9 rallies, and he could be substituting Sordo as points scorer for Citroen team on some rallies notably Australia.

A.F.F.
8th January 2009, 22:04
Petter in Ford sounds really good. Hopefully it'll happen. :up:

Sulland
8th January 2009, 22:09
So we might see both brothers in Ford then !

Will be interesting. The last time they had the same cars I guess was Toyota Celica...
Hopefully they can learn from each-other to get the best out of them !!

Viking
8th January 2009, 22:18
So we might see both brothers in Ford then !

Will be interesting. The last time they had the same cars I guess was Toyota Celica...
Hopefully they can learn from each-other to get the best out of them !!

Last time in same cars (or at least simular) was rally GB 2001 (Subaru Impreza)

JFL
8th January 2009, 22:23
I guess both Ford and Citroen are at the Autoshow. Let's wait and see! Both car would be good for him I think.. Yet again, we must wait in anticipation! puh...

Rally_Rocks
9th January 2009, 08:00
Petter had lengthly discussions with DR at autosport show yesterday. Expect to see him in S14 for Norway with Ohlins dampers. Citroen not at show.

Tom206wrc
9th January 2009, 09:22
Petter had lengthly discussions with DR at autosport show yesterday. Expect to see him in S14 for Norway with Ohlins dampers. Citroen not at show.

Does he really want to aim victory with that S14 ???? :rolleyes:

Glee
9th January 2009, 09:36
Does he really want to aim victory with that S14 ???? :rolleyes:

If he manages to have just one more victory with the Subaru Impreza, it will be the most victorious WRC car…

Tomi
9th January 2009, 10:02
If he manages to have just one more victory with the Subaru Impreza, it will be the most victorious WRC car…

Lol, sure he manages :)

grugsticles
9th January 2009, 11:07
Going on Mads' recent comments reguarding his S14, I would not be surprised if Petter in the S14 with Ohlins dampers is, at least, competitve.
I just cant believe that Subaru/FHI/Prodrive are not capable of building a car thats on par with the current Fords and Citreons.

Heres hoping anyway!

Tom206wrc
9th January 2009, 11:26
I don't believe problems of S14 are only dampers... :rolleyes:

Finni
9th January 2009, 11:43

Thats decision of doom if true. However in Autosport article Petter said he is going to thanksa his former team and lengthy discussion with DR might not mean anything.

Ford is only realistical option at the moment.

grugsticles
9th January 2009, 11:46
I don't believe problems of S14 are only dampers... :rolleyes:
Nor do I, not completly anyway. But I do believe that it must be significant factor given the many drivers complaints and general blame in that area.

Does anyone have any further infor regarding DR's and Petter's conversation/dealings?

JFL
9th January 2009, 12:05
This was the first time he met DR after Subaru retired! Could have been a friendly chat, or a new deal! Who knows! He said he was going to talk to prodrive and thank them for a good relationship! Let's wait and see...

Psycho!
9th January 2009, 12:18
There is an interview from Malcolm Wilson on crash.net and he says that Stobart's line-up is not completed...

JFL
9th January 2009, 14:27
Petter Solberg asks the press and public to wait until tomorrow! He has got an offer today, and needs time until tomorrow to make up his mind!
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=no&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.motorsport.no%2Fwip4%2Fpetter_n aer_loesning%2Fd.epl%3Fcat%3D13747%26id%3D407499&sl=no&tl=en

Tom206wrc
9th January 2009, 14:53
Petter Solberg asks the press and public to wait until tomorrow! He has got an offer today, and needs time until tomorrow to make up his mind!
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=no&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.motorsport.no%2Fwip4%2Fpetter_n aer_loesning%2Fd.epl%3Fcat%3D13747%26id%3D407499&sl=no&tl=en

So Ford or Subaru ???? Let's bet :p :

JFL
9th January 2009, 15:01
I think both car will b e better for him, then the last s14. If he gets a top spec Focus, or a indipendent Subaru(free to use different dampers etc) My guess is Ford! Malcolm Wilson said in a interview with Autosport that they are not finnished with their programme.. In the last year the drivers has jumped back and forward betwen BP Ford and Stobart, so maybe we can see him in a BP Ford in some rallies? just a wild guess...

noel157
9th January 2009, 15:12
If Petter gets a "proper" Focus I can see an exciting championship on the horizon, that's assuming Papa Wilson does not start playing chess again with the drivers.

Tomi
9th January 2009, 15:48
If Petter gets a "proper" Focus I can see an exciting championship on the horizon, that's assuming Papa Wilson does not start playing chess again with the drivers.

lol, what a load of crap.

playmo
9th January 2009, 16:00
maybe a load of....
BUT, didn't someone said before that the Focus IS NOT a charm to drive? given the chance to drive one on a proper rally, think he would have to "learn" the car properly before going flat out, and look at what happened to Gigi (was never fast on the Focus as on the Lancer, yes, yes i know, he also changed he's driving style)....

Simmi
9th January 2009, 17:41
maybe a load of....
BUT, didn't someone said before that the Focus IS NOT a charm to drive? given the chance to drive one on a proper rally, think he would have to "learn" the car properly before going flat out, and look at what happened to Gigi (was never fast on the Focus as on the Lancer, yes, yes i know, he also changed he's driving style)....

But surely Petter must want to drive ANYTHING other than an Impreza. The only reason I can see why he wouldn't is that in a blue car he is not expected to challenge for title honours. Hopefully Petter would not want to hide behind something like that.

noel157
9th January 2009, 18:16
lol, what a load of crap.

Perhaps you talk crap? You may be surprised, obviously Loeb will be safe enough but Petter in a "proper" Focus with a test programme could make life difficult for Latvala, Hirvonen and Sordo.
But we'll wait and see if he can get a deal together.

COD
9th January 2009, 18:27
A lot of people laid off from Prodrive, so I vote for FORD...

JFL
9th January 2009, 20:00

Just saw some pictures from the show! Looks like Citroen are present!
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/photo.php?pid=213303&id=1355651757&ref=nf
( I think it is a public album!?)

Daniel
9th January 2009, 20:04
Just saw some pictures from the show! Looks like Citroen are present!
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/photo.php?pid=213303&id=1355651757&ref=nf
( I think it is a public album!?)
I don't get this sillyness. Why are people suggesting he's not dealing with Citroen purely because they don't have a stand at some poxy show?

tolis
9th January 2009, 21:39
A lot of people laid off from Prodrive, so I vote for FORD...
I also vote for Ford and RAMSPORT.... ;)

A.F.F.
9th January 2009, 22:43
But surely Petter must want to drive ANYTHING.

Period.

Tom206wrc
10th January 2009, 08:40
News about Petter ????? :confused:

rx-guru
10th January 2009, 10:33
Young Petter Solberg (in RX times with Volvo 240)...
© by rx-guru

rx-guru
10th January 2009, 10:38
Very young Pernilla Walfridsson (but I do not remember if left or right, the other one is her sister Linda)...
© by rx-guru

J.Lindstroem
10th January 2009, 10:59
This is priceless...! ;)

News about Petter ????? :confused:

Tom is asking for news...

Young Petter Solberg (in RX times with Volvo 240)...
© by rx-guru

... and this is what he gets. Petter in a Volvo 240!

This is houmor on a high level i think. thanks for making my day.. ;)

rx-guru
10th January 2009, 11:16
thanks for making my day.. ;)

Varsågod! ;)

Tom206wrc
10th January 2009, 14:37
But wasn't it today that Petter gave rendezvous to his fans to reveal his plans for 2009 ??? :confused:

JFL
10th January 2009, 14:41
We are all waiting.. No news yet!

Psycho!
10th January 2009, 14:52
I think that it will be the "waiting year" because since its first day we are waiting..........

Tom206wrc
10th January 2009, 15:14
I think that it will be the "waiting year" because since its first day we are waiting..........

In fact since the day Prodrive/Subaru announced its retirement from WRC !!! :mark:

pettersolberg29
10th January 2009, 15:36
Yesterday Petter said he'll tell the press what he's doing today. If my 'sources' are correct, news will be revealed at 17:00 Norwegian Time.

DSTM!

Tom206wrc
10th January 2009, 15:37
So a few minutes to wait again ;)

Daniel
10th January 2009, 15:38
So a few minutes to wait again ;)
Or you could just bloody wait till the actual press release comes out....... :rolleyes: