PDA

View Full Version : WRC 2009 - Minimum weight?

bt52b
26th December 2008, 14:36
Anyone know what the WRC 2009 Min. weight is?

At Rally Japan the min. weight went up about 8kg due to the new seats. Those without the new seats had to run ballast.

From the first round 2009 the cars are due to run the new side impact protection, which must add about 10kg or so.

Couldn't find anything on fia.com.

Mirek
26th December 2008, 14:44
WRC cars themselves are much lighter than 1230 kg and they got on the limit by some idealy mounted ballast. I don't expect any change in their total weight in 2009.

bt52b
26th December 2008, 19:50
]WRC cars themselves are much lighter than 1230 kg and they got on the limit by some idealy mounted ballast. I don't expect any change in their total weight in 2009.

From GPWeek #35, about the new seats introduced at Rally Japan:

Sparco has initially produced 25 examples to be shared round the teams, who have been given the option whether to fit these seats at Rally Japan or not, with a seven kilogram ballast imposition if they did not.

If they added 7kg for Japan and GB, then they are hardly likely to be running less in 2009. Maybe I'm wrong but it must be more than 1237kg

Sparco and RaceTech were the first to make the new seats, not sure it Recaro and OMP started yet.

bt52b
26th December 2008, 20:27
Wales Rally GB 2008

Date : 4th December 2008
Subject: BULLETIN NO: 2

5. New safety seats

Currently all cars entered by a Manufacturer (not including a Manufacturer
team) must be fitted with homologatesd seat made by Racetech (homologation
No. CS218.08) and/or Sparco(homologation no. CS221.08).

These new seats are heavier than the current seats - the difference being 7 kg
as informed by the FIA Technica Delelegate to the Stewards'

As a limited number of sizes of these seats are currently available, the
Stewards permit a Manufacturer to use the previously homologatated seats with
7 kg ballast added to each seat. The ballast must be fitted at a location
approved by the FIA Technica Dlelegate.

FIA Stewards of the Meeting

http://www.walesrallygb.com/documents/Bulletin_2.pdf (pdf)

bt52b
26th December 2008, 20:48
Rally Japan Bulletin #4, is similar to Rally GB Bulletin #2:

http://planning-for.kir.jp/2008/bulletin/bulletin4.pdf

Steve Boyd
27th December 2008, 17:06
Nothing in those bulletins has increased the total weight of the cars - all they say is that where the older seats are used 7kg of ballast must be attached to the seat. In practice, all the teams would do is to move 14 kg of ballast from the floor (or wherever else it was fitted) and attach 7kg to each seat.

bt52b
27th December 2008, 17:41
^True, when I read it initially in the comics I thought they upped the min. weight.

However, it will be interesting to see what ballast is added to cars not running the new side impact protection.

Wonder will having to run the ballast affect other series? Could affect everyone else? Not running the seat and side impaction protection might be a weight advantage.

Btw - the new seats (http://www.sparco.it/catalogo/PubHomePage.aspx?catArea=racing&codLingua=ENG) are £1500 each!