PDA

View Full Version : Wow where do all those WRCars come from???

koko0703
7th February 2007, 00:14
I read about Galway International Rally held last weekend and saw some videos online, and I must say "Wow, they have so many WRCars there!!!" According to wrc.com, there were 27 WRCar in Galway this year while Monte had 18 and Sweden will have 22 if I'm not mistaken. So my question for everybody is "Why are there so many WRCar in Ireland??? And why don't we see as many in WRC rallies these days???"

I understand the travel cost may be significant for privateers, so they may not be able to travel around World or even around Europe to enter WRC rounds, but isn't there local drivers driving WRC machinary in other countries too, at least within Europe??? Or is it just that Ireland happened to have many WRCar now ??? Or is the entry fee for WRC round too expensive for privateers??? Or....???

I'm just curious.....

L5->R5/CR
7th February 2007, 02:16
The cars are allowed in the Irish championship (many other more prestigious national championships have banned them) and most of the teams are based in the UK so the cars and the support for them are close...

Those seem to be the most obvious reasons atleast.

ST205GT4
7th February 2007, 02:21
WRCars are banned in the Australian Rally Championship. So no WRCars for us. In any case there were only ever a couple in Australia when they were allowed, mainly because of cost.

cut the b.s.
7th February 2007, 10:14
I read about Galway International Rally held last weekend and saw some videos online, and I must say "Wow, they have so many WRCars there!!!" According to wrc.com, there were 27 WRCar in Galway this year while Monte had 18 and Sweden will have 22 if I'm not mistaken. So my question for everybody is "Why are there so many WRCar in Ireland??? And why don't we see as many in WRC rallies these days???"

I understand the travel cost may be significant for privateers, so they may not be able to travel around World or even around Europe to enter WRC rounds, but isn't there local drivers driving WRC machinary in other countries too, at least within Europe??? Or is it just that Ireland happened to have many WRCar now ??? Or is the entry fee for WRC round too expensive for privateers??? Or....???

I'm just curious.....

A lot of wealthy business men enjoy their rallying in Ireland, circuit racing is not so big over there, rallying and motorbikes are the main motorsports over there, certainly UK rallying has a very healthy circuit scene to compete with.

Regarding why less are seen on WRC events, cost and time involved are no doubt factors, also the 2 pass recce goes against people doing a 1 off for fun, much more enjoyment to be had for these men on events where recce is more free or events you do each year and know something of the stages. I think its time an extra days recce was allowed for 1st timers/amature drivers, they still wont be troubling the top of the leader board but it may encourage more to try

Also the negative reaction of fans to lesser talents on the wrc stages is no doubt a limiting factor. Would you want to get sponsors on board, bring them of to watch you in say Monte Carlo to hear fans jeer your efforts?

Corny
7th February 2007, 12:50
Even in Holland there were 13 WRC entries last year in Golden Tulip rally.. But you can win here with an old WRcar, you can't do that in WRC, so most will go for S1600 or GRN

andyg07
7th February 2007, 14:01
As of Jan 2007 there were 81 wrc cars on the island of ireland.Its going to be a big problem when it comes to getting an entry for rally ireland in november

sal
7th February 2007, 14:59
The organisers are guaranteeing 40+ places for Irish crews...

jonas_mcrae
7th February 2007, 18:54
Irish championship is great, top level, top cars, just look at that 06 focus and 06 Impreza cant wait for rally ireland

jso1985
8th February 2007, 00:34
How many of those WRC cars are 03 or after models?
Many could afford a 00 Focus and run it on WRC events but what would be the point of it? they'd be minutes behind the other WRC cars

ST205GT4
8th February 2007, 01:50
If I had the money to run any sort of WRCar I wouldn't give two sh*ts if I was 10 mins off the pace. I'd be in there having a ball.

RallyCat909
8th February 2007, 04:18
I really hope the irish lads tear'em a new ass this year. I think Andrew Nesbitt will surprise a few.

306 Cosworth
8th February 2007, 11:58
And the Genie in his Scooby ;)

andyg07
8th February 2007, 13:30
Id say there is at least 60% 03 cars and over.Just look at galways entry last wk and donegal last yr