PDA

View Full Version : Doornbos still not signed

MDS
26th December 2008, 03:13
So the deal is Robert Doornbos wasn't at the Homestead test because he hasn't signed a contract for 2009 yet, and it appears that NHL is leapfrogging HVM in the Doornbos/ING sweepstakes.

"I've been talking to HVM, but Newman/Haas/Lanigan are the team I've been in contact with the most," said Doornbos.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/72572

Clearly NHL is the stronger team, but if, because clearly ING hasn't made a decision as off this article, this deal gets done it will easily be the best thing for the IRL this off season.

Lousada
26th December 2008, 18:24
He should be careful that he does not become the next Jos the Boss.

millencolin
27th December 2008, 09:11
Isn't ING in serious strife atm? they got somewhat bailed out by the dutch government i think

MDS
27th December 2008, 13:23
My bet is that ING's financial issue are what's holding the issue back, but just because you're in financial trouble doesn't mean you can or should pull back on advertising. They said they're committed to their Renault sponsorship, one of there marketers said it was a strategic growth driver, and I'd bet they're looking at Doornbos in the IRL the same way, but this time for around 4 million Euros instead of 50 million Euros.

Given the current exchange rate, European companies doing lots of business in America are getting a steal advertising in America right now. For 4 million euros you can get full sponsorship of a race winning car in America. That's not a bad deal.

OWFan19
28th December 2008, 02:50
What is his connection to ING? I am floored they would pay that money in this economy. Hell of a deal if it goes through. HVM has their own issues, I would want to be at NHL if I could.

Chamoo
28th December 2008, 03:26
HVM has their own issues

What issues might those be?

Mark in Oshawa
29th December 2008, 01:35
Chamoo...likely they need more than just the ING sponsorship money to operate. They may not have the engineering support or infrastructure such as chassis to operate. Lets face the reality. If Doornbos gets a green light to shop his services with a 5 million Euro check in hand to go to a team, you think he is going to HVM over NHL????????

Chamoo
29th December 2008, 03:02
Chamoo...likely they need more than just the ING sponsorship money to operate. They may not have the engineering support or infrastructure such as chassis to operate. Lets face the reality. If Doornbos gets a green light to shop his services with a 5 million Euro check in hand to go to a team, you think he is going to HVM over NHL????????

No, I would also go to NHL first, however, the poster made it sound as though they are having personnel issues or money issues, which is not the case.

NHL would be first on my list, but I would see no reason why if HVM provided a similar type ride asking for a bit less cash, that Doornbos would turn his nose up at them.

Cart750hp
29th December 2008, 05:33
Any teams in IRL most likely has the upper-arm than the drivers. Especially when the team have their own sponsor and got the money. Ganassi, Penske, NHL, AGR are most likely going for good drivers because they can afford them. But for Dale Coyne, Panther, HVM....not much options for them. They are most likely to bring drivers with deep pockets and a back-up sponsor although the driver ***** big-time. For Doornbos, Tracy, Tagliani or for any other drivers....pretty much the good seats are taken or filled. So they either have to go for the cheap pay or bring in cash to secure a mid or backmarker teams. Either or, the teams have the upper-hand.

NickFalzone
30th December 2008, 01:25
I don't know the current situation at Conquest, but last I heard (like 2 months ago) they were in full season 09, with Tags in the seat. I also think that Doornbos will get into the series at least half the season. Tracy to me is a real enigma, he could be a great veteran to match with a younger talent like Rahal. But he's not going to bust his ass for hot dogs apparently, and I guess with the economy sponsor's are real hard to come by.

MDS
30th December 2008, 03:03
Just in the last couple of days there has been a increase in chatter in the international news. A lot of them are just reusing the quote without any attribution or information, so I wonder how much of this actually his deal getting closer and how much is just speculation based on one quote of uncertain origin.

If this deal is going to get done it has to get done a couple of weeks before spring training at Homestead, or at least before the open test at Barber. Its pretty clear he has a good relationship with ING and Red Bull based on the pictures he has up on his website. If nothing else all of this international coverage shows how big, and how positive Bobby D coming to the IRL would be.

I think he's going to land at NHL with a multi-year in a couple of weeks, but thats just my feeling at this point.