PDA

View Full Version : Chris Atkinson 2009

MJW
25th December 2008, 20:07
It certainly will be interesting to see how fast Chris will be in 2009 with the Citroen. I for one have no idea ho will it go, but if he is fast in the Citroen it might help us see how far off the pace the recent Subaru's have been. (or not)
It will also be intersting to see what car Petter ends up driving, and whether when he sees Chris in Ireland in a Citroen if that has any influence on what he drives.

Tomi
25th December 2008, 20:15
It certainly will be interesting to see how fast Chris will be in 2009 with the Citroen. I for one have no idea ho will it go, but if he is fast in the Citroen it might help us see how far off the pace the recent Subaru's have been. (or not)
It will also be intersting to see what car Petter ends up driving, and whether when he sees Chris in Ireland in a Citroen if that has any influence on what he drives.

Agree, I think on gravel he should easily beat Sordo and on tarmac he should be in top5, but now he for sure has a once in a lifetime chance to show what he can, if he can.

MJW
25th December 2008, 20:40
Chris will be the only driver "originally from another team" who has driven a C4 WRC, Aava was a JWRC driver and Conrad also (to my knowledge) no experience of anything other than a Xsara wrc.

StevieWonder
25th December 2008, 20:48
Agree, I think on gravel he should easily beat Sordo and on tarmac he should be in top5, but now he for sure has a once in a lifetime chance to show what he can, if he can.

yes, but be fair and have in mind, that nevertheless the C4 is a "new" car for chris and he has to learn handling and set-up of this "probably at the moment fastest" car in wrc.

Moreover I also hope for him to get some more chances in a C4 to show his pace !

MikeD
25th December 2008, 20:53
Like others I also think that Atkinson is a little difficult to judge. He has never really given me the impression that he's a world champion in the making, but he did have a good year this year with the Subaru. I think his benchmark should be Sordo, even though I do think that Sordo will beat him easily on every surface because he knows the car better.

PS: To be fair, then these "rides" in the C4 is so expensive that maybe it will only be 3-4 outings for Atkinson if he can't find some funding.

Tomi
25th December 2008, 21:05
I dont think it takes so long to get used to a new car, new tyres are much bigger deal, but to those Atkinson is used to already, "but he is not used to the car" is a good excuse.
Mäkinen won his first and only out with Ford, same with Subaru, Bosse also did not so bad in his first with Ford.
I also think Sordo is a good mark, if he cant beat him he might be in trouble to get new rides.

jonas_mcrae
25th December 2008, 21:30
I'm a little bit worried Atko wont get the "proper" C4 WRC. I bet Oiger will get the same as Seb and Dani (as citroen want him to shine) but will Citroen play the same thing as they did with Kronos and those rubbish Xsaras? (because of Atko comming from a different team of course)

VFTS
25th December 2008, 21:32
Chris will be the only driver "originally from another team" who has driven a C4 WRC, Aava was a JWRC driver and Conrad also (to my knowledge) no experience of anything other than a Xsara wrc.

Conrad Rautenbach did drive Mountain Rally in Norway january 2008. In this event he used Ex-Mikkelsen Focus WRC 05. He first had a test with the car before he did he event.

Tomi
25th December 2008, 21:39
I'm a little bit worried Atko wont get the "proper" C4 WRC. I bet Oiger will get the same as Seb and Dani (as citroen want him to shine) but will Citroen play the same thing as they did with Kronos and those rubbish Xsaras? (because of Atko comming from a different team of course)

For Ogier its far more difficult than for Atkinson, he has been driving WRC cars for sometime already and in the different cars the differences are after all quite marginal if you look at sec/km.
I remember Aava complaining a lot how difficult it is to find the braking spots and the way how to get in the corners when he did drive his 1st WRC event.

curry
25th December 2008, 22:18
Is Chris going to get a drive in the C4 before shakedown? If not then he has a steep learning curve ahead and as such I don't expect to see much out of him until probably the last day.

bluuford
25th December 2008, 22:26
Aava drove Focus in Estonian championship in 2002 and last year Mitsu WRC

MJW
25th December 2008, 22:44
Aava drove Focus in Estonian championship in 2002 and last year Mitsu WRC

Ok - minor mistakes about Aava & Rauntenbach, what I meant Chris is the only former manufacturer driver with several full seasons experieance to step into a Citroen C4.

tmx
26th December 2008, 00:20
Depends on how much testing he gets if any. Also I don't think Quesner will allow Chris to pass Dani and Loeb.

mjh
26th December 2008, 03:22
Depends on how much testing he gets if any. Also I don't think Quesner will allow Chris to pass Dani and Loeb.

I doubt he is worried about the chance of Chris passing Loeb!

ShiftingGears
26th December 2008, 04:47
Given some adjusting I think he can beat Sordo.

A.F.F.
26th December 2008, 06:24
For sure Ireland is not the easiest place to make a first outing. There's little place for errors and let's face it, Atkinson is the one who might make some ;)

However, I wish him best of luck. :up:

Psycho!
26th December 2008, 09:13
First,do you think that Quensel would allow this??I doupt it!Second:Malcolm may feel a little bit worried about Chris in a C4 both for BP Ford and Stobbart...So,a previous Champion (Petter,Marcus)could have a ride for Stobbart!(?)

Barreis
26th December 2008, 10:05
For 180 000 euro's he will be quick!!!

Gard
26th December 2008, 11:45
For 180 000 euro's he will be quick!!!

That's the problem. 180k euro only get you a car with C4 on it. It's up to Citroen to set the spec. Neither Citroen, Peugeot or M-Sport/Ford has reputation of leasing out the best machinery. Even last years Fords was changed if they got to fast. I know Henning and Galli discussed this and Henning even changed settings under and after stages to confuse the mecs on what to do.

alleskids
26th December 2008, 12:04
Teams dont want to be embarrest by paying clients who are faster then the factory guys. I would mean they pay to much for their own drivers and have to give paying clients discount. B drivers are not supposed to beat A drivers.

Tom206wrc
26th December 2008, 12:40
For sure Ireland is not the easiest place to make a first outing. There's little place for errors and let's face it, Atkinson is the one who might make some ;)

However, I wish him best of luck. :up:

No rally is easy to debut with a new car !!! Every has its own road particulraties and traps... :p :

Daniel
26th December 2008, 13:09
I think Chris will do well. If the car is decently prepared I think he'll easily get a top 5 finish.

Lousada
26th December 2008, 18:19
With his experience and reputation he should be at least near the BP-Fords. Supposedly he and his car should even be better on tarmac than Latvala and perhaps Hirvonen.

jacko
27th December 2008, 10:29
[quote="Tomi"]Agree, I think on gravel he should easily beat Sordo QUOTE]
Well, if he beats easily Sordo he even will match the times of Loeb.
On gravel Sordo was really good driving, for sure with the knowledge he had to deal with the manufacturers points.
Sordo did for sure a better job than Latvala this year.

jacko
27th December 2008, 10:35

I don't think there will be a huge different in cars, can't be.
Kronos did get good Xsara's from Citroen, both drivers Stohl and Carlson were the problem i think.

Atkinson does a brave job to invest his money in a good car and indeed it will important what he delivers this year. But he's young, so he will eb back also 2010.

Tomi
27th December 2008, 10:43
Agree, I think on gravel he should easily beat Sordo QUOTE]
Well, if he beats easily Sordo he even will match the times of Loeb.
On gravel Sordo was really good driving, for sure with the knowledge he had to deal with the manufacturers points.
Sordo did for sure a better job than Latvala this year.

The difference between Loeb and Sordo on gravel is about the same like the difference of night and day, I agree Sordo did a better job than Latvala this year.

Micke_VOC
27th December 2008, 10:45
Kronos did get good Xsara's from Citroen, both drivers Stohl and Carlson were the problem i think.

Atkinson does a brave job to invest his money in a good car and indeed it will important what he delivers this year. But he's young, so he will eb back also 2010.

The Carlsson/Sthol Xsaras was a really crap car with other dampers and lot of other things than the "factory" cars.

Psycho!
27th December 2008, 10:57
You understand it easily,if you compare Stohl's performance with the Xsara and the 307 which is reported to be difficult to drive.Thus,the problem isn't Stohl!!! ;)

jacko
27th December 2008, 10:57
[quote="Micke_VOC"]The Carlsson/Sthol Xsaras was a really crap car with other dampers and lot of other things than the "factory" cars.[quote]

Why would Citroen gave bad cars to Kronos? I remember a fastest stage time in Mexico by Stohl. Okay, the stage was about 10km and mostley straight, but it was on the first or second day when the top guys still were fighting.
But when the roads became more difficult the problem were the drivers. Both men are simply not fast enough. Carlsson did made some good rally's in the past, Stohl too, both are good but nothing more. Duval came in on the tarmac rounds and he did even match the Loeb times in Germany. And no, he didn't had any special parts within the car.
Remember also friend Xavier Pons back in 2006 in the "factory" Xsara. His performance was also very bad compare Loeb's time. It was that reason why Citroen did choose Sordo as the second driver in 2007, although he didn't have that much experience.
It's normal that a superb driver can do more with a car than a average driver...

jacko
27th December 2008, 11:05
You understand it easily,if you compare Stohl's performance with the Xsara and the 307 which is reported to be difficult to drive.Thus,the problem isn't Stohl!!! ;)

Look at the (stage-)times, there was still a huge gap to the top.
I agree it was a good season for both H. Solberg & Stohl @ Bozian Peugeot, but the competition in 2006 was low in numbers.
Also the 307 was still with active dampers instead of the top drivers/ manufacturers cars.
I think every rally car has it's + and -.
Main problem for Gronholm in 2005 with the 307 were the tyres.

jacko
27th December 2008, 11:14
The difference between Loeb and Sordo on gravel is about the same like the difference of night and day, I agree Sordo did a better job than Latvala this year.
I disagree on your opinion about Sordo, for a second driver in the team his times were acceptable, even on the last round he was really fast. Yeas, Loeb is faster, but he beats every guy in this moment... So compare to him it's a fine performance and also Citroen share's my opinion because they gave him another contract :)

But i'm looking forward to 2009, with Ireland, Norway and Cyprus as the first 3 rounds i think there could be a lot happen and with some bad luck for Loeb the season could be really interesting, like every year.

Psycho!
27th December 2008, 13:01
The rule for the starting order is the same for 2009 or it has changed??With so many gravel rallies tactics will reign...

Wim_Impreza
27th December 2008, 15:53
But i'm looking forward to 2009, with Ireland, Norway and Cyprus as the first 3 rounds i think there could be a lot happen and with some bad luck for Loeb the season could be really interesting, like every year.

Bad luck for Loeb? Are you dreaming?

@ jacko: Kronos had really sh*t cars when Stohl and Carlsson drove it. Citroën didn't allowe it to give new specs and updates from the Xsara's, so they drove with old cars.

Daniel
27th December 2008, 17:45
Bad luck for Loeb? Are you dreaming?

@ jacko: Kronos had really sh*t cars when Stohl and Carlsson drove it. Citroën didn't allowe it to give new specs and updates from the Xsara's, so they drove with old cars.
Why have you quoted Tomi as saying what Jacko said? :mark:

Barreis
27th December 2008, 17:55
The Carlsson/Sthol Xsaras was a really crap car with other dampers and lot of other things than the "factory" cars.
What about Duval's performance when he was leading after day one?

Helstar
27th December 2008, 18:03

No way ... the Xsaras were clearly slower than the factor ones. I remember problems with brakes, less power on engine, and other things.

with some bad luck for Loeb the season could be really interesting, like every year.
lol ... bad luck for Loeb ? I only remember an unlucky Greece 2006 but then... well, NOTHING ! ^^

Daniel
27th December 2008, 18:11
lol ... bad luck for Loeb ? I only remember an unlucky Greece 2006 but then... well, NOTHING ! ^^

There was the mountainbike accident too ;)

Helstar
27th December 2008, 19:22
There was the mountainbike accident too ;)
That can't be included in bad luck in a car (talking 'bout RALLIES here) :p !

Barreis
27th December 2008, 20:00
I wish Atkinson/Prevot the best! Just not to crash it on a first rally with C4. Better then to buy F430 F1 for that money and be quick every day around Monte where he lives..

Finni
28th December 2008, 15:19
I wonder why Petter don't seem to be considering Citroen or Ford. Driving with Subaru is useless. Chris is young driver with less ego so it's no wonder that he was ready to take Citroen. Petter understandably has fear of loosing to Seb in the same car - especially as Citroen is Sebastien's own team. But is there really so deep disagreement with Malcolm Wilson that Petter can't try Ford-option. Is Wilson really so stupid person or is Petter even afraid to challenge Hirvonen and Latvala from privateer base? If Wilson is blocking Petter then Petter's no-drive situation is understandable.

Fischer
28th December 2008, 15:34
Good to see Atkinson is competing in 2009, can't wait to see completely smashed up C4's.

Tomi
28th December 2008, 15:41
Is Wilson really so stupid person or is Petter even afraid to challenge Hirvonen and Latvala from privateer base? If Wilson is blocking Petter then Petter's no-drive situation is understandable.

Or maybe its the same for Wilson if Petter drives for Ford or not.

Psycho!
28th December 2008, 16:17
Hold on a minute.Petter was telling in all his latest words that he wants a car that will be able to challenge for victory,which means Ford or Citroen.So,with all the places locked in the French team,the only remaining solution is Ford.Malcolm for sure feels a little bit uncomfortable with Chris in Citroen.Petter,I think,is the best option at the moment...

Slipzen
28th December 2008, 16:22
I wonder why Petter don't seem to be considering Citroen or Ford. Driving with Subaru is useless. Chris is young driver with less ego so it's no wonder that he was ready to take Citroen. Petter understandably has fear of loosing to Seb in the same car - especially as Citroen is Sebastien's own team. But is there really so deep disagreement with Malcolm Wilson that Petter can't try Ford-option. Is Wilson really so stupid person or is Petter even afraid to challenge Hirvonen and Latvala from privateer base? If Wilson is blocking Petter then Petter's no-drive situation is understandable.
I beleive Petter is under contract with Subaru for 2009, hence neither Ford nor Citroen are possible. I think I read somewhere that his salary from Subaru for 2009 is 5 MEUR.

Brother John
28th December 2008, 16:32
I beleive Petter is under contract with Subaru for 2009, hence neither Ford nor Citroen are possible. I think I read somewhere that his salary from Subaru for 2009 is 5 MEUR.

If he has salary from 5 MIL EuRO for 2009 he can pay 1,5 Mil. to Prodrive if he realy want to drive! :s mokin:

J4MIE
28th December 2008, 17:00
I think that as soon as Subaru walked away their contracts will have been finished, I don't know whether they will still have to have been paid or not.

I think looking at the fact that Henning and Gigi were battling for podium positions quite a lot shows that Petter could do better in the same car, I really hope that he can work something out even if it means paying for a full drive to give him one last chance in 2009.....

Daniel
28th December 2008, 17:01
Good to see Atkinson is competing in 2009, can't wait to see completely smashed up C4's.

Atkinson is a solid driver. Unless he does a Duval you will not see piles of crashed Citroen's.

J4MIE
28th December 2008, 17:59
Atkinson is a solid driver. Unless he does a Duval you will not see piles of crashed Citroen's.

And unless he is out on more than one event there is only one at most you could see. I really hope not, but Ireland is an ultra tricky event at the best of times...

28th December 2008, 18:01
I have great pleasure to invite everybody for Round WRC in
POLAND.WELCOME EVERYBODY IN POLAND JUNE 2009.

"On this website http://www.accommodation-rallypoland.com
Supporters from all over the world can book accommodation for the period the Rally
Poland '09 (25-28 June 2009), which is one of the rounds of WRC cycle.
You can also find there a google map on which both places of
accommodation and special stages are marked. What is more, there are
also descriptions of given accommodation along with pictures, GPS
location and the description of the equipment. "

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5g-fkCM_ovc

Englandsfahrer
28th December 2008, 18:10
Hold on a minute.Petter was telling in all his latest words that he wants a car that will be able to challenge for victory,which means Ford or Citroen.

Actually, he also said it has to be a subaRust, so he still haven't learned anything... Unless he's planning to race a cusco impreza in jgtc until his contract runs out? At least that's a Subaru capable of winning. And I guess he could need a years worth of practice on asphalt if he wants to be champion again.

Daniel
28th December 2008, 18:16
And unless he is out on more than one event there is only one at most you could see. I really hope not, but Ireland is an ultra tricky event at the best of times...

True. But I think it would be a dumb move to only give him a drive for one rally. Believe me the guy is such a bloody solid driver when he has the machinery to do the job. I think given a proper car he'd beat Latvala in a straight fight.

HaCo
28th December 2008, 18:45
True. But I think it would be a dumb move to only give him a drive for one rally. Believe me the guy is such a bloody solid driver when he has the machinery to do the job. I think given a proper car he'd beat Latvala in a straight fight.

Yep Daniel, I'm expecting a lot of him as well... Hope he can do it and he gets the proper material of Citroen!

Psycho!
28th December 2008, 18:57
Sorry,but Jari-Matti has the upper hand in terms of pure speed!!However,concerning the consistency Atkinson is a little bit better...

Helstar
28th December 2008, 19:01
They both are crash test dummies until now ... and maybe Atko tops JML xD

Did you forget this video ? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2b4BdwoOqOA&fmt=18

Daniel
28th December 2008, 19:09
They both are crash test dummies until now ... and maybe Atko tops JML xD

Did you forget this video ? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2b4BdwoOqOA&fmt=18

Your point being?

believe me back in Australia when Chris has a proper car he was solid. The Subaru has never been a good car while Chris has been in the WRC.

MJW
28th December 2008, 19:36
Actually, he also said it has to be a subaRust, so he still haven't learned anything... Unless he's planning to race a cusco impreza in jgtc until his contract runs out? At least that's a Subaru capable of winning. And I guess he could need a years worth of practice on asphalt if he wants to be champion again.

Press release on Petter's website (today sunday 28th december) says agreement has been reached allowing Petter to drive any make of car in 2009 season.

http://www.pettersolberg.com/html/2008/12/28/pressrelease-from-petter-solberg/

MJW
28th December 2008, 19:38
I expect an announcemnet of what car he drives soon, all we have to speculate now is it a Ford or C4.
I suspect a Ford, but would like to see hIm in a C4.

Psycho!
28th December 2008, 20:13
In that case Citroen will be even more powerful!! :eek:

Finni
28th December 2008, 22:34
Very nice news indeed!!!

Wilson is complete idiot if he don't offer full-season with full test and full-equipped car. Driver of that caliber with huge sponsorships is gift from heaven. With Solberg it could be possible to give solid challenge to Loeb (like Grönholm did 2007).

Halvis
28th December 2008, 23:53
Very nice news indeed!!!

Wilson is complete idiot if he don't offer full-season with full test and full-equipped car. Driver of that caliber with huge sponsorships is gift from heaven. With Solberg it could be possible to give solid challenge to Loeb (like Grönholm did 2007).

I agree completely, very good news! Petter is quoted to have said that he will call both Citroen and Ford today, Monday, too ask if they have any available cars left. It's a very brief newsstory, without much detail, but my understanding is that he is prepared to pay for a drive - at least he is quoted to say that he will have to do much more private from now on.

BDunnell
29th December 2008, 00:04
I think Atkinson will be in the same boat as all those other ex-works drivers who have ended up undertaking incomplete semi-works (or non-works) campaigns. In other words, flashes of speed but no wins. It's a shame because I think he deserves better than that, just like Duval probably did, and Loix before that.

Daniel
29th December 2008, 00:06
I think Atkinson will be in the same boat as all those other ex-works drivers who have ended up undertaking incomplete semi-works (or non-works) campaigns. In other words, flashes of speed but no wins. It's a shame because I think he deserves better than that, just like Duval probably did, and Loix before that.

Duval did get the chance to drive a proper car though. If Chris gets a half decent car he'll do a good job of it I reckon. But if he's in a crap car you'll probably be right.

Tomi
29th December 2008, 00:21
Duval did get the chance to drive a proper car though. If Chris gets a half decent car he'll do a good job of it I reckon. But if he's in a crap car you'll probably be right.

so did Loix, all his cars was winning except the Hyundai, at Peugeot he even was the main testdriver but he got nothing done.

Daniel
29th December 2008, 00:35
so did Loix, all his cars was winning except the Hyundai, at Peugeot he even was the main testdriver but he got nothing done.

I wasn't talking about Loix :p I know I'll sound like Pino but believe me if Atkinson gets a good car he'll have the pace to win rallies. I doubt he'd beat Loeb in a straight fight but he will have very good pace.

Tomi
29th December 2008, 00:50
I wasn't talking about Loix :p I know I'll sound like Pino but believe me if Atkinson gets a good car he'll have the pace to win rallies. I doubt he'd beat Loeb in a straight fight but he will have very good pace.
No but the guy to who's post you did answer did speak about Loix too. What comes to Atkinson, soon we will see, Citroen should be the best out there now.
I think its difficult to judge him, simply because only he and Petter has been driving the Subaru, everyone says, me too, that Subaru was a crap car, but it would be easier to judge if some third guy would have driving it too.
For the same reasons it's difficult to judge Petter as well, has he developed as driver or has the younger guys passed him already, but soon we see that too propably, bloody good Subaru did throw in the towel, hopefully there will be more show than talk now.

Daniel
29th December 2008, 01:12
No but the guy to who's post you did answer did speak about Loix too. What comes to Atkinson, soon we will see, Citroen should be the best out there now.
I think its difficult to judge him, simply because only he and Petter has been driving the Subaru, everyone says, me too, that Subaru was a crap car, but it would be easier to judge if some third guy would have driving it too.
For the same reasons it's difficult to judge Petter as well, has he developed as driver or has the younger guys passed him already, but soon we see that too propably, bloody good Subaru did throw in the towel, hopefully there will be more show than talk now.

OK true. But from what I've seen of Chris in the ARC he should do very well given a proper car.

Finni
29th December 2008, 01:16
OK true. But from what I've seen of Chris in the ARC he should do very well given a proper car.

Do you think Chris achievement in ARC surpasses his last year performance in wrc? Chris' beated world champion in the same car. Not bad.

Tomi
29th December 2008, 01:16

Välimäki did ok in ARC too.

Daniel
29th December 2008, 01:25
Välimäki did ok in ARC too.

Ok perhaps I didn't make my point very well.

In the ARC Chris was very quick and very solid. Kind of like Loeb. I know the ARC is hardly a top level competition so results are somewhat meaningless, it's more about how he drove and in my mind I've not been impressed more by any of the newcomers in the WRC other than perhaps Ogier. I was right about Loeb 6 years ago so why not about Chris now? :p

Chris won in group N @ Rally Australia on his first attempt. To me this is something considering how difficult the event is. Perhaps he will be the next Loix but I don't see it personally :)

Tomi
29th December 2008, 01:29
Ok perhaps I didn't make my point very well.

In the ARC Chris was very quick and very solid. Kind of like Loeb. I know the ARC is hardly a top level competition so results are somewhat meaningless, it's more about how he drove and in my mind I've not been impressed more by any of the newcomers in the WRC other than perhaps Ogier. I was right about Loeb 6 years ago so why not about Chris now? :p

Chris won in group N @ Rally Australia on his first attempt. To me this is something considering how difficult the event is. Perhaps he will be the next Loix but I don't see it personally :)

Lol, not the next Loix, but it will be interesting to see, Sordo should be worried i guess.

Daniel
29th December 2008, 01:34
Lol, not the next Loix, but it will be interesting to see, Sordo should be worried i guess.

As I said a long time ago Sordo should have been fired and Chris hired....

When you consider Chris beat Petter and isn't all that far behind Sordo when you consider the difference in cars then Chris has to be doing something right. I can't wait to see Ogier and Chris in C4's next year. I think it will make for some interesting results.

Helstar
29th December 2008, 03:11
Your point being?

I don't think he can win rallies, he's not capable of that (beating Loeb I mean).
Also, Citroen will never allow him to beat his works drivers. Maybe only Sordo when Atko happens to be ahead of Fords and Sordo behind them in the last rally day ^^

But we will see, it's surely interesting. He's a faster driver compared to a lot of others (won't name them :p ). But can he keep his head cooled down ? In the last rally didn't seem so ...

Daniel
29th December 2008, 08:32
I don't think he can win rallies, he's not capable of that (beating Loeb I mean).
Also, Citroen will never allow him to beat his works drivers. Maybe only Sordo when Atko happens to be ahead of Fords and Sordo behind them in the last rally day ^^

But we will see, it's surely interesting. He's a faster driver compared to a lot of others (won't name them :p ). But can he keep his head cooled down ? In the last rally didn't seem so ...

Is anyone capable of beating Loeb consistently? Nope.

But as we've seen in the last few years some can beat him on selected rallies. Perhaps we should wait a little before writing of Chris you know ;) Unlike Gigi he's never had a properly competitive car ;)

Gard
29th December 2008, 09:17
I agree completely, very good news! Petter is quoted to have said that he will call both Citroen and Ford today, Monday, too ask if they have any available cars left. It's a very brief newsstory, without much detail, but my understanding is that he is prepared to pay for a drive - at least he is quoted to say that he will have to do much more private from now on.

Sponsors for a full season, was in place last week. Only seats for the #1 drivers are taken, so there is possibilities.

Tom206wrc
29th December 2008, 10:07
If Petter S goes in a C4 next year, the duel in equal cars between Atko and Solberg will look very very tight and we would see which one is really the best after the episode of the Imprezas... :p :

alleskids
29th December 2008, 10:11
Petter and Chris could split off from the Junior Citroen MT2 (be honest, they both are far from junior now) and form Citrobaru World Rally Team :) . I hope Petter will choose the Citroen side.

curry
29th December 2008, 10:55
With all these extra C4's running around next year, you might see that Malcom has match them and as a result we see Petter in a Focus. That would be my bet.

Tom206wrc
29th December 2008, 11:01
With all these extra C4's running around next year, you might see that Malcom has match them and as a result we see Petter in a Focus. That would be my bet.

I too don't see Wilson missing the opportunity(would be crazy if opposite) ;)

Camelopard
29th December 2008, 11:04

That has to be the best bet for the WRC, the chance for Petter to show that he isn't past it. he would be worth a bundle in advertising for Ford, though i wonder how many of his loyal fans will follow him across, please let him be in a Focus next year.

If he goes to Ford, surely he would be given a top spec car, whereas I doubt he would get the equivalent of seb's c4 if he goes that route.

DonJippo
29th December 2008, 11:19
If he goes to Ford, surely he would be given a top spec car, whereas I doubt he would get the equivalent of seb's c4 if he goes that route.

Only if you are part of works team you will get top spec car, set-up and engineers what ever team that is.

Finni
29th December 2008, 16:16
Only if you are part of works team you will get top spec car, set-up and engineers what ever team that is.

Top-driver doubled with oil-money you can get everything. There is resources to give proper service for third driver and in the case of Petter it should be Malcolm's interest as Petter would bring money for the arrangements.

Only if there is absolute rules against previous scenario would be impossible. I don't know if that's the case.

Barreis
29th December 2008, 16:20

Loix had a bad luck 'cos he was in the same team as Tommi Makinen and in his shadow all the time especially after big crash I do not know where it was in Mitsubishi.. Before Mitsu as a priveteer he was leading Acropolis '98 and finished second and Mitsubishi took him on a 3 year trial. Bad times to be with T. Makinen in the same team..

Daniel
29th December 2008, 22:24
Loix had a bad luck 'cos he was in the same team as Tommi Makinen and in his shadow all the time especially after big crash I do not know where it was in Mitsubishi.. Before Mitsu as a priveteer he was leading Acropolis '98 and finished second and Mitsubishi took him on a 3 year trial. Bad times to be with T. Makinen in the same team..

Bad luck or just lack of the stuff required to win rallies? As much as I like Freddy I think it's the latter.

Helstar
30th December 2008, 04:28
Unlike Gigi he's never had a properly competitive car ;)
He will do same of Gigi. Expect hard impact on rally weekends due to almost no testing at all, sometimes problems on the car (setups or failures), sometimes crashes, sometimes flashes of speed, some "freezing position" because works drivers have to arrive before you, and the year will end without any relevant result for him too ^^ (yes call me a prophet lol).

curry
26th January 2009, 23:16
Anyone heard anything about Chris competing in the 3rd event - Rally Cyprus?

A quote from Olivier Quesnel:

As for Chris Atkinson, he will drive one of our Citroen C4 WRCs in Ireland. As we already made clear when we signed the deal there are no plans currently in place beyond then, even though there’s a strong will to do so from both sides.”he also went on to say:

It will be interesting to see a driver like Chris Atkinson in a C4 WRC. We know the quality of the cars we supply to our customers and I am convinced they will soon emerge as potential winners."

As expected is sounds like it is up to Chris to get the cash, tough work at the moment.

swordsman
27th January 2009, 07:15
Anyone heard anything about Chris competing in the 3rd event - Rally Cyprus?

A quote from Olivier Quesnel:

he also went on to say:

As expected is sounds like it is up to Chris to get the cash, tough work at the moment.

For sure it's up to him to bring the cash. That's obvious. If they really want him he may have a slight discount (they say they give you a good price :) ), noting else.

A.F.F.
27th January 2009, 07:40

I don't think Mitsu expected Freddy to win rallies. That's why they had Mäkinen. But Mitsu expected freddy to finish rallies in which he failed.

Daniel
27th January 2009, 08:35
He will do same of Gigi. Expect hard impact on rally weekends due to almost no testing at all, sometimes problems on the car (setups or failures), sometimes crashes, sometimes flashes of speed, some "freezing position" because works drivers have to arrive before you, and the year will end without any relevant result for him too ^^ (yes call me a prophet lol).

No. No he won't. Chris isn't a can opener like your beloved Gigi. The guy's got real skill and with some good luck you'll see it.

AndyRAC
27th January 2009, 08:58
No. No he won't. Chris isn't a can opener like your beloved Gigi. The guy's got real skill and with some good luck you'll see it.

Oh dear, you've done it now Daniel - Pino won't be amused......

I must admit a year or so ago Chris was looking a little like that - however he's got his consistency together and should get better. He probably wasn't helped by being in a dog of a car. I'm expecting him to go fairly well this weekend - and who knows what after that? I hear he has expressed an interest in IRC/S2000......

Helstar
29th January 2009, 04:59

I'm ready to eat my words. And you ? ;)

Daniel
29th January 2009, 08:02
I'm ready to eat my words. And you ? ;)

Nope :D No need to eat my words ;)

GigiGalliNo1
29th January 2009, 08:11
No. Chris isn't a can opener like your beloved Gigi.

haha

Daniel
29th January 2009, 08:50
haha

Do you ever add anything to threads or do you just say "haha" all the time? :mark:

Tom206wrc
29th January 2009, 16:57
Smells bad news :mad:

In a pre-Ireland interview at the Dernière Heure, Stéphane Prevot says he will have to find another work on tuesday because Chris and him haven't budget for other rallies ;( ;(

Daniel
29th January 2009, 16:58
Smells bad news :mad:

In a pre-Ireland interview at the Dernière Heure, Stéphane Prevot says he will have to find another work on tuesday because Chris and him haven't budget for other rallies ;( ;(
Ah crap! Lets just hope Glen doesn't come back. Chris' career picked up after he left.....

curry
30th January 2009, 07:18
Yeah doesn't sound good. Chris said in his wrc.com blog; "Currently this is my only event for the year......"

Reading between the lines it doesn't sound like he has much going.

Chris, please don't crash out!

Lousada
30th January 2009, 17:20
Chris, please don't crash out!

Oh dear :\

Tom206wrc
30th January 2009, 17:51
I must say I'm particularly disappointed by his perfs for today :mark:

Let's see how it'll evolve tomorrow and sunday :rolleyes:

HaCo
30th January 2009, 17:52
Apparantly he hit something allready :(
http://www.motorsportforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=583093&postcount=576

Helstar
31st January 2009, 02:22
Do you ever add anything to threads or do you just say "haha" all the time? :mark:
Yes, I'll fix it for him

"haha who is a can opener ?"

However I am a little bit sad for Chris as I really admire him (nice guy and totally full attack driver, that jump on Sardinia 2006 can't be forgotten !), but I think that with this accident it's just turning bad for him now ...

Finni
31st January 2009, 08:02
Hopefully he can continue. I want to see how his pace developes. Last year it took one and a half rallies to Duval to really find groove with Focus in dry asphalt. This years Ireland has been most difficult condition to get used to with the new car.

Buzz Lightyear
31st January 2009, 08:30
It wcould be the last rally we ever see Aktinson. He is totally out of his depth in this car.

User
31st January 2009, 08:50
On WRC.com you can see Atkinson's crash, and he crashed hard, but was reallyyy lucky!

Anti-Lag-Rocks
31st January 2009, 10:32
This has been a rally that is very very difficult indeed - no matter how good your notes or talent. Apart from the off and the bonnet incident - his times have been actually very good (for a brand new car on wet asphalt) - pretty consistent Top 4, and now today Top 3 times. He certainly seems to be ahead of Oiger in stage pace. I really hope he has more chances in this car, as there is no doubt about his pace/talent - just needs a good rally to put it all together...

Corny
31st January 2009, 10:35
are you joking? Indeed, normally fourth or fifth would be a great result, but he's 6 minutes!! behind after just 9SS.. You don't get there in a healthy championship/rally with his pace

Daniel
31st January 2009, 13:33
are you joking? Indeed, normally fourth or fifth would be a great result, but he's 6 minutes!! behind after just 9SS.. You don't get there in a healthy championship/rally with his pace

He had a crash dude...... AND his bonnet flew up.

It wcould be the last rally we ever see Aktinson. He is totally out of his depth in this car.

Huh?

RJL25
31st January 2009, 13:50
some of you guys are just plain idiots. Ofcourse he suffered at the start of the rally getting used to a car, but you don't consistantly pull out top 4 and now top 3 stage times on wet asphalt in a car your completely un-familiar with unless your quite a bit talented.

RJL25
31st January 2009, 13:51

pretty easy to look at the leader board and make judgements... how about you have a bit of a look at all the individual stage times to see how that margin was established, and see how he has been very much on the pace for a great deal of the rally.

Again, idiots...

J.Lindstroem
31st January 2009, 13:52

i dont think it is the last rally we ever see him... :S sounds a little bit harsh

Cloverleaf
31st January 2009, 14:14
Anyone, who is in doubt with Chris's talent understands the fundamentals of this sport as well as Paris Hilton !

JRodrigues
31st January 2009, 14:16

So that also means that Ogier is a poor old who knows nothing about driving.

RJL25
31st January 2009, 14:18
the thing i find funny is that the guy can drag a result out of that dog of a WRX (unlike his incredibly highly paid former world champion team mate) yet in a good car he is suddently "out of his dept" after one spin which damaged the car for the next few stages leading to a slow start to the rally... please

by the way, Atkinson just beat loeb on stage 12... yep way out of his depth though!

JFL
31st January 2009, 14:22
And almost equal time with Latvala.. Way to go..

Finni
31st January 2009, 14:32
Chris sums it nicely:

"Now our pace is about one second a kilometre slower than Loeb’s. I know I’ll get faster - I’m not on the limit yet because everything is new. To explore the limit on these roads is pretty adventurous, but we’ll get there.”"

I have no doubt that Chris would close to Hirvonen and Sordo in pacewise. Actually Chris has been at Hirvonen's pace and near to Sordo already in few stages but it's really adventurous seek limits on these roads.

grugsticles
31st January 2009, 14:38
Atko = a man of talent.

For the life of me I cannot understand why some people seem do not have the ability to give the guy a break!

To those who critisise his pace, how about YOU go out and drive a car from a manufacturer you have never driven before and see how hard it is. Especially with your job prospects laying on the line.

I personally admit that I find it hard enough to smoothly drive a friends car home after a night on the town without hitting the brakes too hard, or jerking with gear changes. Its all about getting accustomed with a car - something that takes a fair bit more time than a few hours in a test car.

JRodrigues
31st January 2009, 15:13
Oh.. look.. Atkinson faster than Sordo.

Corny
31st January 2009, 15:38
by the way, Atkinson just beat loeb on stage 12... yep way out of his depth though!
Ah, yes, Loeb is pushing soo hard!

JFL
31st January 2009, 15:43
yes he is... :)

JRodrigues
31st January 2009, 15:47
Oh.. again 2nd fastest. 1,5s off Loeb's time. How can he be driving in WRC?? He's good for regional championships. Just.

Finni
31st January 2009, 15:49
Ah, yes, Loeb is pushing soo hard!

Hard enough to end on grass. Ok, seriously Loeb has backed little bit but considering many factors Chris seems to be now at the pace - not on Loeb's but somewhere near to Hirvonen and Sordo.

Daniel
31st January 2009, 17:27
Yes, I'll fix it for him

"haha who is a can opener ?"

However I am a little bit sad for Chris as I really admire him (nice guy and totally full attack driver, that jump on Sardinia 2006 can't be forgotten !), but I think that with this accident it's just turning bad for him now ...
You know where you can stick your can opener now :laugh:

P.S haha

alleskids
31st January 2009, 17:37
I noticed no sponsoring on Atkinson cars. He is paying the Rally Ireland entry all form the kick out of Subaru money? And after sunday he is left without money and rallies?

Daniel
31st January 2009, 17:49
I noticed no sponsoring on Atkinson cars. He is paying the Rally Ireland entry all form the kick out of Subaru money? And after sunday he is left without money and rallies?
You would hope that's not the end of him. I must admit Chris spoilt it by going off yesterday but his pace today has shown that he really is a competitive driver given a proper car.

Finni
31st January 2009, 18:20
You would hope that's not the end of him. I must admit Chris spoilt it by going off yesterday but his pace today has shown that he really is a competitive driver given a proper car.

And it's obvious that there is more to come from Chris.

Simmi
31st January 2009, 18:27

We've never seen him in a proper car until this weekend. You are right there has to be more to come.

Helstar
31st January 2009, 20:33
You know where you can stick your can opener now :laugh:
P.S haha
Yes show me the way my master... http://www.motorsportforums.com/forums/images/icons/rolleyes.gif

Oh wait no need, we can already see your face.

Daniel
31st January 2009, 21:05
Yes show me the way my master... http://www.motorsportforums.com/forums/images/icons/rolleyes.gif

Oh wait no need, we can already see your face.

Don't worry Chris will show you the way :)

FabiaFan
31st January 2009, 21:26
Chris himself was speaking about Greece and Australia today...

Finni
31st January 2009, 21:40
Chris himself was speaking about Greece and Australia today...

Source?

ShiftingGears
31st January 2009, 22:11

You were saying?

FabiaFan
31st January 2009, 22:22
Source?
He said this after SS14 (P2) to the radio.

mjh
1st February 2009, 00:23
Go Atko :bounce:

Just not any higher than 4th as you'll stuff my pickem' up.... :p :

J.Lindstroem
1st February 2009, 07:21
Go Atko :bounce:

Just not any higher than 4th as you'll stuff my pickem' up.... :p :

He can go as high as he wants since i picked him as winner in front of Loeb haha a little bit of crazy but anyway haha

jens
1st February 2009, 15:23
Atko showed some pace in some stages, but looked a bit uncomfortable with the car generally as the mistakes showed. Even if Chris doesn't get more WRC opportunities in '09, I hope he can rejoin the series in 2010 at the wheel of a potential new manufacturer (as we expect more of them to join) and really have a go at the highest placings.

Mirek
1st February 2009, 16:09
I don't expect new manufacturers to come before 2011. It's too late now and still no rules exist...

Helstar
1st February 2009, 16:58
Don't worry Chris will show you the way :)
Oh ye, the way to go offroad while fighting against H.Solberg. On tarmac.

Finni
1st February 2009, 17:31
Oh ye, the way to go offroad while fighting against H.Solberg. On tarmac.

However one judges Chris showed in his first Citroen-rally more tarmac pace than Gigi in the whole season with Ford.
--------

I guess Chris' problem today was caused rather due to lack of attack than pace; he was ordered to finnish.

Jens is right that there was uncomfortability in Chris side but I guess it was combination of high pressures (only rally to show his worth for the rest of the year) and hazard circumstannces combined with the new car. Ogier's modest drive hints that adapting of C4 was quite a challenge in those conditions.

As a whole I am not overly moved by Chris performance. It's obvious that he didin't yet show his peak-pace. Obviously he would close somewhere around to Sordo as there was not too much difference in saturday. But that was already obvious as Chris has driven stage wins with the crap car and beated P. Solberg in some asphalt rallies.

Barreis
1st February 2009, 17:59
Last year with bad Subaru car on podium.. This year fifth behind H.Solberg..
All that for 185k €.. Not worth..

Englandsfahrer
1st February 2009, 18:28

I suppose someone such as yourself will immediately get used to a new car, that handles completely different to your own in a matter of hours? Gimme a break mate... He's only barely tested the car before. Of course he's still faster in an impreza, cause he knows how (no matter how bad) that thing handles! You can't go flat out in a car you don't know. That's why he's had a few spins. He just doesn't know yet how to react when that car starts acting up. You learn by trial and error, which means driving the car.

Now how on earth is he supposed to learn if he doesn't rent a car?

Money well spent. The end.

J.Lindstroem
1st February 2009, 18:29

you can add "and on tarmarc" after H.Solberg and it's even more pointless

ShiftingGears
2nd February 2009, 00:46
Money well spent. The end.

Yep. Mistakes, but Atkinson showed he was one of the fastest out there.

Which is more than can be said for other drivers who had Citroens at their disposal over the years.

Helstar
2nd February 2009, 02:39
However one judges Chris showed in his first Citroen-rally more tarmac pace than Gigi in the whole season with Ford.

lol ! And what have we seen of Gigi on tarmac in a Ford ?
Pretty much like Chris, he got his first rally ever with the new car on tarmac (Monte) with no testing at all (Chris tested a little bit), no powersteering for some stages and still he got a 6th place with the car all in one piece ^^

Then in Germany the unfortunate crash (not his blame) ... this is not the Chris vs Gigi battle, I have just said that I am myself a fan of Atko, and also explained early in this thread what I would expect from him (I quote my post below).
But I've started to hear "he will crush everybody MAYBE except Loeb" that seemed a little bit exaggerated. And if you read my predictions, I got it perfectly :P

Daniel
2nd February 2009, 07:40
But I've started to hear "he will crush everybody MAYBE except Loeb" that seemed a little bit exaggerated. And if you read my predictions, I got it perfectly :P

You should see a head doctor about those voices in your head. No one has said that......

René
4th February 2009, 10:52
Citroen Team Manager Olivier Quesnel is happy by Irish performances of Atkinson and he says that he would likes to keep him in the team for the rest of season after the Rally de Norway. A meeting is already programmed. Wait and see...

http://www.leblogauto.com/2009/02/chris-atkinson-la-suite-de-la-saison-chez-citroen.html

J.Lindstroem
4th February 2009, 11:38
That whould be so good, but i wont believe it untill it really happens... :P

We saw some really impressive times by Atkinson in Ireland, ok Loeb was maybe not pushing 100 % but anyway, Atkinsons times were really good.

If this guy are to have a go in the Citroen for the rest of the season, i know who i will cheer on in 2009!

Barreis
4th February 2009, 12:57
Citroen Team Manager Olivier Quesnel is happy by Irish performances of Atkinson and he says that he would likes to keep him in the team for the rest of season after the Rally de Norway. A meeting is already programmed. Wait and see...

http://www.leblogauto.com/2009/02/chris-atkinson-la-suite-de-la-saison-chez-citroen.html

Mr Quesnel probably meant: GIVEEE MEEE ALLLLL YOUUUU GOTTTT!!!

Viking
4th February 2009, 14:43
http://www.wrc.com/jsp/index.jsp?lnk=231&featureid=1318&desc=WRC%20Pirelli%20driver%20blog%20-%20Chris%20Atkinson

"The boys working on my car impressed me - especially on Friday night when they brought it back to life after we smashed into the electricity pylon. It was back to 100 per cent for Saturday and I'm sure they're not so used to cars coming back to service looking the way mine did!"

Not since the Duval days :rotflmao:

Brother John
9th February 2009, 09:18
Olivier Quesnel, teamleader of Citroën Racing, can not help Atkinson and refers to its limited budget. „I would gladly continue with him and would be glad, if he finds a solution.
But I have only determined budget of Citroen and have unfortunately no money for three cars.
I'm sorry for him, but he must procure money, if he wants to remain with us. If he succeeds to it, I would be very gladly over it. :dozey:

http://www.rallye-magazin.de/r/wm/d/n/d/2009/02/08/citroen-keine-unterstuetzung-fuer-atko/index.html

ST205GT4
9th February 2009, 09:35
It's a shame, but not unexpected. I think Chris will really be up against it trying to procure sponsorship for what is in all reality a European based sport. He won't get anything from Australia. The WRC gets zero coverage over here so it does sponsors no good sponsoring him.

And why would a European sponsor give him $$ when they can probably get better recognition with a European driver?

My sad prediction is that Chris will disappear from the WRC ranks, which is a real shame because I don't think he really got a chance to show what he's capable of driving for Subaru.

I hope I'm wrong.

Daniel
9th February 2009, 09:36
It's a shame, but not unexpected. I think Chris will really be up against it trying to procure sponsorship for what is in all reality a European based sport. He won't get anything from Australia. The WRC gets zero coverage over here so it does sponsors no good sponsoring him.

And why would a European sponsor give him $$ when they can probably get better recognition with a European driver?

My sad prediction is that Chris will disappear from the WRC ranks, which is a real shame because I don't think he really got a chance to show what he's capable of driving for Subaru.

I hope I'm wrong.
Ditto

Tomi
9th February 2009, 10:15
I don't think he really got a chance to show what he's capable of driving for Subaru.

I think he had the best chance to show, but at the moment it's not so easy if he dont have sponsors.

Brother John
9th February 2009, 10:19
My sad prediction is that Chris will disappear from the WRC ranks

He is not the first and will be also not the last, it is time that he find a new challenge.
Take a look to Gardemaister, Loix, +...+...+...+ and even new hopefuls in rallysport.

Camelopard
9th February 2009, 10:24

I hope I'm wrong.

Yes it's a real pity that guys like Rautencrash and Wilslow can get drives and some one with Atko's obvious talent can't.

If Malcolm Wilson was acting in the best interest of FORD he would have dropped Mathew and given a seat to either Petter or Atko, imo.

Maybe if we start an email campaign to FORD it may bring results....

A bit nasty I know, but Rautencrash reminds me of a saying that I heard years ago: "he couldn't drive out of sight on a dark night!!!!"

Tomi
9th February 2009, 11:03

I dont think you get any result by sending e-mails to the team bosses, almost the same effect you get when crying in a forum, but you could try to approace companies that has export from australia to europe.

Daniel
9th February 2009, 11:04
I dont think you get any result by sending e-mails to the team bosses, almost the same effect you get when crying in a forum, but you could try to approace companies that has export from australia to europe.
I remember a while ago someone on the forum suggested a sausage sizzle to raise funds for Skoda when they were having trouble in the WRC :laugh:

Tomi
9th February 2009, 11:08
I remember a while ago someone on the forum suggested a sausage sizzle to raise funds for Skoda when they were having trouble in the WRC :laugh:

:laugh:

J.Lindstroem
9th February 2009, 11:22

Thats kinda sweet i think, hehe!

Buzz Lightyear
9th February 2009, 11:25
Quesnel is not going to be bullied. If he thought he was going to oust Sordo, and Citroens long term plans, he was very much mistaken.

curry
9th February 2009, 11:25
He may be a chance for Rally Australia later in the year, who knows, maybe the organisers will chip in.

MJW
9th February 2009, 12:14
[quote="Camelopard"]Yes it's a real pity that guys like Rautencrash and Wilslow can get drives and some one with Atko's obvious talent can't.

If Malcolm Wilson was acting in the best interest of FORD he would have dropped Mathew and given a seat to either Petter or Atko, imo.
QUOTE]

That is rallying at the highest level, and its not a new concept, in fact the bring money theory applies in all motorsport, its just more obvious now. What gets me is the media (wrc.com) attitude of treating Matt, Conrad and all the other pay drivers as being equal, we all know if it wasnt for the size of their wallets they wouldnt make it in 'village rallies'

ST205GT4
9th February 2009, 12:24
Quesnel is not going to be bullied. If he thought he was going to oust Sordo, and Citroens long term plans, he was very much mistaken.

Personally I think Chris wasted his money buying a one off ride. Even if he'd managed to beat Sordo I don't think that would have helped.

If I was Sordo though I wouldn't be feeling to comfortable though. I wouldn't be in the least surprised if when Loeb retired, Citreon chucks it in. Or at best they'll stay and he'll be Ogier's no.2.

Bazza2541
9th February 2009, 12:51
Yes it's a real pity that guys like Rautencrash and Wilslow can get drives and some one with Atko's obvious talent can't.

A bit nasty I know, but Rautencrash reminds me of a saying that I heard years ago: "he couldn't drive out of sight on a dark night!!!!"

Thats a bit harsh seeing as they didn't 'get' drives, they pay for them and Ford doesn't sponsor young Wilson, his Dad does. It's not up to anyone on any forum to dictate howe any business/wealthy man spends his money. I am just glad that some do decide to spend it on rallying rather than an expensive yacht in Monte-Carlow, fair dues to them for it.

Brother John
9th February 2009, 13:12

What is the problem? Are you jealous?
If you have a son and much money or you have a big rallyteam, you give your own son also a wrc seat I think. Or are you yourself still is a child? :s mokin:

Barreis
9th February 2009, 13:40
Do not forget that C.Atkinson also had paid drive first year (or 2)..

Buzz Lightyear
9th February 2009, 13:43
Personally I think Chris wasted his money buying a one off ride. Even if he'd managed to beat Sordo I don't think that would have helped.

If I was Sordo though I wouldn't be feeling to comfortable though. I wouldn't be in the least surprised if when Loeb retired, Citreon chucks it in. Or at best they'll stay and he'll be Ogier's no.2.

i wouldnt be suprised that red bull's contract stipulates that there must be a french and spanish driver to cover there marketing exposure in those areas. they used sordo heavily in the x fighters last year, therefore making it almost impossible for atkinson to get in there, even if he wanted to. redbull is almost a 'perfect' company, it just gernerates cash, it does not have real product development (like a car or pharmaceutical) its simply spends 60% of what it earns on marketing, but even they are slashing budgets.

no matter who your investor is, wheather it even be roman abramovich, today is a totally different world from even last year. you will now not get anyone to sustain a spend of €200K per rally. i think chris will disappear from wrc, and reemerge in irc

Barreis
9th February 2009, 13:50
I agree.. Better 5 years with F430 F1 than 4 days of driving and almost rebuilded codriver's right shoulder again.. Do not know if Australia also has Citroen cars..

GigiGalliNo1
9th February 2009, 14:52
Do not know if Australia also has Citroen cars..

They do, but it's not a woop di do brand like the big 3.... or even in the top 10 of car brand sales.

Camelopard
9th February 2009, 22:34
What is the problem? Are you jealous?
If you have a son and much money or you have a big rallyteam, you give your own son also a wrc seat I think.

I guess my problem is that I have been a life long supporter of Ford in rallying and it saddens me to see a seat given to someone who will never make the grade, dad's money or not. There have been many threads about this and how 'Malcolm can spend his own money on what he wants to', but is it in Ford's best interest to allow this to happen?

30 years ago I probably would have been jealous but I'm a realist, I know that I will never be as good as I wanted to be, whether it is rally driving or playing blues guitar, now I just like stirring the pot on internet forums and getting a rise out of people. :)

(but maybe I'm not very good at that either, looks like I'll have to go off and have another cry, now where did I leave those tissues? :) :) :) )

L5->R5/CR
10th February 2009, 01:35
i wouldnt be suprised that red bull's contract stipulates that there must be a french and spanish driver to cover there marketing exposure in those areas. they used sordo heavily in the x fighters last year, therefore making it almost impossible for atkinson to get in there, even if he wanted to. redbull is almost a 'perfect' company, it just gernerates cash, it does not have real product development (like a car or pharmaceutical) its simply spends 60% of what it earns on marketing, but even they are slashing budgets.

no matter who your investor is, wheather it even be roman abramovich, today is a totally different world from even last year. you will now not get anyone to sustain a spend of €200K per rally. i think chris will disappear from wrc, and reemerge in irc

AFAIK Red Bull is not sold in France.

Buzz Lightyear
10th February 2009, 01:36
AFAIK Red Bull is not sold in France.

wrong.

Minke
10th February 2009, 07:34
They do, but it's not a woop di do brand like the big 3.... or even in the top 10 of car brand sales.

I know that our top Four are

Toyota
Holden (General Motors / Opal)
Ford
Mitsubishi

After that.. it would be (if I were to guess)
hyundai
VW
kia
MBenz
BMW
Peugeot
Citeron
Renault

Basicly, I'd be surprised is Citeron aust paid for any drives for chris..

mjh
10th February 2009, 12:18

Toyota
Ford
Mitsubishi

hyundai
VW
kia
MBenz
BMW
Peugeot
Citeron
Renault

From April last year, couldn't find a more recent one on a quick google but should be near enough......

Manufacturer - Monthly Sales - YTD Sales
1 - Toyota - 20,838 - 81,062
2 - Holden - 10,187 - 44,037
3 - Ford - 8,246 - 34,533
4 - Mazda - 6,749 - 28,439
5 - Mitsubishi - 5,007 - 21,697
6 - Nissan - 4,935 - 20,375
7 - Honda - 4,289 - 19,448
8 - Hyundai - 3,683 - 15,058
9 - Subaru - 3,158 - 13,473
10 - Volkswagen - 2,440 - 10,290

FCAI give similar top 10 Australian marques for 2007.

L5->R5/CR
10th February 2009, 14:09
wrong.

Did that change recently?

I would have sworn that a couple of years ago Red Bull was not allowed to be sold in France.

You learn something everyday.

Mirek
10th February 2009, 14:17
In mid-May, the French government gave in, reaching an agreement with Red Bull to allow the sale of the original formula. Officials had no choice because under European Union rules, a product sold in other member states cannot be banned unless there is scientific proof of a danger to consumers, said a Finance Ministry spokeswoman, Sylvie Garnier.

June 9, 2008, International Herald Tribune

Bazza2541
10th February 2009, 15:01
I guess my problem is that I have been a life long supporter of Ford in rallying and it saddens me to see a seat given to someone who will never make the grade, dad's money or not. There have been many threads about this and how 'Malcolm can spend his own money on what he wants to', but is it in Ford's best interest to allow this to happen?

:) :) :) )

Ford have very little say in the matter as M-Sport is largely self financing and the control comes with the cash.

FabiaFan
10th February 2009, 23:58
i wouldnt be suprised that red bull's contract stipulates that there must be a french and spanish driver to cover there marketing exposure in those areas
But isn't it Citroën's interest tho have a driver from France and Spain, its greatest markets?

FabiaFan
11th February 2009, 00:08
Btw. what about Fiat and Skoda in AUS??? (thinking of Atkinson's IRC engagement...)
While I had a visit from an Australian friend here in Europe recently, she laughed, she was really surprised, because she sees no cars of the Fabia/207/Punto class on the roads there... On the other hand she thought that Skoda Octavia/Superb would be an immediate success there...

Minke
11th February 2009, 02:05
Btw. what about Fiat and Skoda in AUS??? (thinking of Atkinson's IRC engagement...)
While I had a visit from an Australian friend here in Europe recently, she laughed, she was really surprised, because she sees no cars of the Fabia/207/Punto class on the roads there... On the other hand she thought that Skoda Octavia/Superb would be an immediate success there...

We get Fiat and Skoda in Aus (Skoda is VW after all). Skoda's are selling well here (according to a friend at VW).. but certainly not in the league of raising $$$ for CA...

a fair few of 207's on the road too...

GigiGalliNo1
11th February 2009, 11:05
she sees no cars of the Fabia/207/Punto class on the roads there...

There are a whole load of 206's, 306's, 405's, 207's and 307's in Australia! Seen a few Fiat Punto's and 500's around as well so don't know where she is getting her info from or she doesn't know her cars! haha :p There are so many small classed vehicles here... Fiesta, Focus, 207, Barina, Astra, Honda Jazz (Fit), Mitsu Colt, Corolla bla bla bla

Toyota
Ford
Mitsubishi

hyundai
VW
kia
MBenz
BMW
Peugeot
Citeron
Renault

Where did you learn how to spell?

Citeron? Opal?

Citroen don't have THAT much money to endorse Atkinson... only Subaru but they've left the Rally Scene many moons ago.... Also, Subaru left Rally and its heritage and went into circuit racing, and god knows where that has gone?! Toyota have also recently left the Australian Championship... Ford never had a chance and Skoda.... they don't sell the Fabia in Aus! :( Well not yet..... Oh and even Honda came to Aus for the Australian Rally Championship.... but again no money or something rather.... :)

Minke
11th February 2009, 12:53
There are a whole load of 206's, 306's, 405's, 207's and 307's in Australia! Seen a few Fiat Punto's and 500's around as well so don't know where she is getting her info from or she doesn't know her cars! haha :p There are so many small classed vehicles here... Fiesta, Focus, 207, Barina, Astra, Honda Jazz (Fit), Mitsu Colt, Corolla bla bla bla

Where did you learn how to spell?

Citeron? Opal?

Citroen don't have THAT much money to endorse Atkinson... only Subaru but they've left the Rally Scene many moons ago.... Also, Subaru left Rally and its heritage and went into circuit racing, and god knows where that has gone?! Toyota have also recently left the Australian Championship... Ford never had a chance and Skoda.... they don't sell the Fabia in Aus! :( Well not yet..... Oh and even Honda came to Aus for the Australian Rally Championship.... but again no money or something rather.... :)

hehe.. I can't spell.. I'll give you that..

yes you are correct in all that you've said.. Honda, Ford, Toyota and Subaru have all recently (more recent for some) left the Australian Rally C'Ship once considered the strongest national series in the world (if you believe the marketing hype)

2009 ARC will be interesting... if the ex toyota boys (Bates and Evans) can get some $$ together they'll be very strong..

Cody Crocker (Asia Pac champ) is a product of the ARC... always surprised that he didn't get a run in the WRC...

bluuford
11th February 2009, 22:20
Just watched the second crash of Atkinson on WRC.com during stage 18. He is sooooo lucky or Citroen is veeeeery strong car. He basically went through the stonewall and got stuck on it and then (after some help by marshals and spectators) he just drove on:-) There is saying that luck is favoring the winners.. so, he has real potential to became winner :-)

Daniel
12th February 2009, 09:48
There are a whole load of 206's, 306's, 405's, 207's and 307's in Australia! Seen a few Fiat Punto's and 500's around as well so don't know where she is getting her info from or she doesn't know her cars! haha :p

There aren't that many Peugeot's in Australia. There are only a handfun of Grande Punto's and 500's in Australia as well.

ST205GT4
12th February 2009, 10:03
You're correct Daniel. Sure Peugeot and Fiat sell here, but they'd be lucky to make up more than 1% of the market.

Rally Hokkaido
8th May 2009, 06:56
Now I have your attention, please read this from the Australian Rally Ch'ship homepage.

The Nambour Showgrounds thundered to the sound of the region’s best rally stars today for the unofficial shakedown and Media day.
Red Devil Rally QLD ambassador Chris Atkinson was on hand to wish local and overseas competitors the best of luck – although he did sneak a ride with Championship leader Neal Bates.

"These S2000 cars go really well” He commented jumping out of the Red Devil s2000.

Source: http://www.rally.com.au

ProRally
8th May 2009, 08:30
Talked to Chris briefly at Nambour Showgrounds, he misses the competition but for sure he will find a ride soon.
Hope to get more news over the weekend.
Overall a nice field here at Rally Queensland,some new Subaru's , some EvoX and several Evo9 ...
Start tomorow at 08:30 from Imbil Service park

Rally Hokkaido
27th August 2009, 03:02
Here he's doing a bit of PR work for Rally Australia while waiting for a very important phonecall.

http://rallyaustralia.com/australian-ace-hails-manufacturer-attraction-to-the-wrc/

Finni
28th August 2009, 13:02
It's painful to watch drivers like Chris and Petter in sideline. It would only take one little change to the rules to get them back in competitive cars. FIA, Citroen and Ford should do contract to drive three cars per team. Then we could see Chris driving Citroen and Petter in Ford.