25th December 2008, 16:01
Soon the IRL season will be back.
Who's going to Spring Training?

February 23-26
IRL Spring Training
Homestead-Miami Speedway

Scheckterfan54
27th December 2008, 06:05
I may be wrong, but I believe this is called a "test session" in today's major racing world. "Spring Training" is used only in baseball and a now defunct racing series.

Scheckterfan54
27th December 2008, 06:09
I may be wrong, but I believe this is called a "test session" in today's major racing world. "Spring Training" is used only in baseball and a now defunct racing series.

I stand corrected, after finding the Homestead Miami speedway website, it is indeed listed as "spring training"...I find this absolutely stupid. Spring training is for baseball. Race teams do not "train", they test.

Chamoo
27th December 2008, 06:48
I stand corrected, after finding the Homestead Miami speedway website, it is indeed listed as "spring training"...I find this absolutely stupid. Spring training is for baseball. Race teams do not "train", they test.

Baseball players don't really train during spring training, they just play a boat load of exhibition games. Sure they probably hit the weight room a couple times, but so do the pit crews most likely. I bet baseball players do as much training during spring training as the ICS teams do.

The reason it is called Spring Training is because they are trying to make a small media event out of it. Newspapers and pundits don't usually cover tests. But you throw on a nice name like Spring Training which appeals to America due to Baseball, and send out a nice press release about the event stating how many cars will be in one location, and you get the local newspapers atleast, and a bunch of radio and internet pundits I would think.

Anthony, you could probably shed more light on this as this is your kind of thing. But I believe that was the main reason behind the CCWS Spring Training, and it drew quite a crowd as well if I recall correctly.

Also, any dirt you can share with us from the track AV?

anthonyvop
27th December 2008, 15:13
"spring Training" has been an on-going event at HMS. First with CART/Champcar then the IRL.
If you are a fan then this is a must attend event. You will never experience a more open paddock and driver accessbility.

Still have no word on the format. usually it is a day or 2 of road course than Oval testing.

Mark in Oshawa
29th December 2008, 01:06
If I am in Miami around that time...maybe...but the last time I knew of any one driving truck from my neck of the woods going to Miami, he was sent north right away before he got to like the weather too much!