PDA

View Full Version : Citroen Junior Team

Xsara Fan
24th December 2008, 11:45
Ogier, Atkinson, Novikov and Rautenbach are members of the 'Citroen Junior Team'. They will start with C4 WRC at 8 rallyes. Seb, Evgeniy an Conrad are thу main drivers. Chris will start in Ireland.

Tom206wrc
24th December 2008, 11:53
:eek: :eek: :eek:

Source :confused:

Xsara Fan
24th December 2008, 11:55
:eek: :eek: :eek:

Source :confused:

Citroen press-release:

Citroën lance le "Citroën Junior Team"
Citroën Sport est ravi d'annoncer la création d'un team ‘Manufacturers 2’, le "Citroën Junior Team" pour le championnat des rallyes FIA 2009. La structure Citroën Sport Technologies aura en charge ce programme qui concerne plusieurs jeunes pilotes de talent. Le choix de ces derniers ainsi que
les épreuves auxquelles ils vont prendre part ne sont cependant pas encore complètement figés.
« C'est avec un plaisir non dissimulé que nous dévoilons l'inscription d'un team M2, le "Citroën Junior Team", dans le cadre du Championnat du Monde 2009 », explique Olivier Quesnel, directeur de Citroën Sport. « Comme l'impose le règlement, le "Citroën Junior Team" sera présent sur un minimum de 8 courses, afin de pouvoir prétendre inscrire des points dans le classement réservé aux Constructeurs. Conrad Rautenbach, Evgeny Novikov et Sébastien Ogier en seront les principaux pilotes. Chris Atkinson participera également au prochain rallye d'Irlande, premier rendez-vous de la saison, au volant d'une Citroën C4 WRC. »
« L'intitulé "Junior" n'est pas anodin », explique Benoît Nogier, responsable de Citroën Sport Technologies. « Cette équipe M2 accueille majoritairement des pilotes en phase d'apprentissage.
La moyenne d'âge est de 22 ans. La volonté de notre structure est de développer notre activité commerciale entamée en 2008 et de faire bénéficier les équipages de notre savoir faire. Ils pourront s'aguerrir et acquérir une précieuse expérience pour la suite de leur carrière. »
L’organisation mise en place avec Urmo Aava et Conrad Rautenbach pour 2008 sera reconduite l'an prochain avec des Citroën C4 WRC. Sur les épreuves, l'équipe Citroën Sport Technologies sera implantée à proximité de la structure Citroën Sport, et bénéficiera, de nouveau, du savoir-faire de
cette dernière. Le "Citroën Junior Team", dont la présence renforcera l'implication de la Marque en WRC, pourra s'appuyer sur l’expertise de l'équipe Championne du Monde tout au long de l’année.
« Auteur d'une saison 2008 encourageante, Conrad Rautenbach sera de nouveau présent sur l'ensemble des 12 manches du prochain Championnat », détaille encore Benoît Nogier. « Talent précoce, le très jeune russe Evgeny Novikov disputera un minimum de 8 courses, ses premières avec une WRC. Champion du Monde Junior et auteur d'une prestation remarquée au Pays de
Galles, Sébastien Ogier a, pour le moment, 6 manches inscrites à son calendrier. Enfin, l'Australien Chris Atkinson, qu'il est, je crois, inutile de présenter, nous rejoindra en Irlande. Nous pensons que
cette participation connaîtra une suite. »
Conscients de la chance qui s'offre à eux, les équipages du "Citroën Junior Team" entameront la saison 2009 avec enthousiasme et volonté sans toutefois négliger l'ampleur du challenge qu'ils vont devoir relever.

Tom206wrc
24th December 2008, 11:58
YEEEEEAAAAAAHHHHH !!!!!! :bounce:

I'm happy for Atkinson and Novikov they deserve that :D

Tomi
24th December 2008, 12:07
very good news, now the guys has proper cars, the rest is up to them self.

Buzz Lightyear
24th December 2008, 12:15
all paying.

Lousada
24th December 2008, 12:21
Pretty incredible that Atkinson drives at least one rally in this team. Anyone have any more information on this? Was he asked or did he pay, is it the beginning of a longer commitment, etc?

Buzz Lightyear
24th December 2008, 12:23
Pretty incredible that Atkinson drives at least one rally in this team. Anyone have any more information on this? Was he asked or did he pay, is it the beginning of a longer commitment, etc?

Its €180K per rally, or you dont drive the car. Its very simple with Citroen.

Tomi
24th December 2008, 12:28
Its €180K per rally, or you dont drive the car. Its very simple with Citroen.

The good thing is that its the same for everyone.

A.F.F.
24th December 2008, 12:31
Can't they make Citroen Senior Team as well. Petter should have the money...

Jaanus
24th December 2008, 12:33
Citroen Introduces The Citroen Junior Team

Citroën Sport is delighted to announce the launch of the Citroën Junior Team which will run as a 'Manufacturers 2' team in the 2009 FIA World Rally Championship. The programme will be handled by Citroën Sport Technologies and will feature several talented young drivers over the year. The full list of names, and the individual events they will each contest, have yet to be finalised, however.

"We are absolutely thrilled to be able to confirm the Citroën Junior Team as an M2 entry in the 2009 World Rally Championship," says Citroën Sport Director Olivier Quesnel. "As required by the regulations, the Citroën Junior Team will contest at least eight events in order to qualify for Manufacturers' points. Conrad Rautenbach, Evgeny Novikov and Sébastien Ogier will form the mainstay of the line-up, while Chris Atkinson is due to take part in the first round of the new year, the Rally Ireland, in a Citroën C4 WRC."

"It is no coincidence that we have chosen to employ the word 'Junior' in the team's official name," points out Citroën Sport Technologies Manager Benoît Nogier. "It is an M2 team which will predominantly run drivers who are currently learning the sport, and their average age will be 22. Our aims are to develop the commercial side which we began in 2008 and also enable our crews to benefit from our expertise. The programme will allow them to gain valuable extra experience which will put them in good stead for the next step of their career."

The set-up of the operation will be the same as that which ran Urmo Aava and Conrad Rautenbach in 2008 and will continue to feature the Citroën C4 WRC. On events, Citroën Sport Technologies will be based close to Citroën Sport's facilities and will once again be able to benefit from the latter's know-how. The Citroën Junior Team brings a further boost to the brand's commitment to the WRC and will be able to count on the expertise of the World Championship-winning squad throughout the year.

"Following the encouraging results he obtained in 2008, Conrad Rautenbach will again contest every round of the 2009 championship," specifies Benoît Nogier. "He will be joined on at least eight of those 12 rounds by the very young Russian driver Evgeny Novikov who will be competing in a WRC car for the first time and who has also shown that he has plenty of potential. The programme of the Junior World Champion Sébastien Ogier, who made a name for himself on the recent Wales Rally GB, currently includes six events. Last but not least, we will be joined in Ireland by Australia's Chris Atkinson who is already a familiar face in the sport. It is our belief that our association with Chris will not stop there."

The crews who have been confirmed to drive for the Citroën Junior Team are all very aware of the opportunity they have been given. They go into 2009 with great enthusiasm and extremely determined, yet perfectly conscious of the challenge that awaits them.

Tom206wrc
24th December 2008, 12:38
In Ireland there would be six C4s then ???? Wow !!!! :D

jonas_mcrae
24th December 2008, 13:07
Don't think Oiger will be paying the same as the other guys, there must be some citroen money behind him. As he is the new wonder boy And good for Atko but what happened to what he said in that interview with FoxSports? "Im not paying for a drive"!! LOL

MikeD
24th December 2008, 13:11
That's simply amazing news. A really good christmas present :D Really good to see Novikov in a WRC car. He was pretty impressive in Japan and he and Ogier will be interesting to follow. Also very good news for the sport, as it looked as if 2009 would be a doomed year. Now it's looking a little brighter.

Xsara Fan
24th December 2008, 13:12
Don't think Oiger will be paying the same as the other guys, there must be some citroen money behind him. As he is the new wonder boy And good for Atko but what happened to what he said in that interview with FoxSports? "Im not paying for a drive"!! LOL

"Im not paying for a drive, but my parents did".

Tom206wrc
24th December 2008, 13:32
My bet Atko will be faster than Ogier and Novikov on irish tarmac roads... :p :

J4MIE
24th December 2008, 13:39
Well first of all I hope it's not the only chance Atkinson will have next year, hope he can get some sponsors together but guess Subaru Australia is out of it? :p : Maybe it was the best chance he had and with Ireland not being too far away he wanted to be there at the start of the season doing something at least.

Will be interesting to compare his speed from the Impreza to the C4, I wish him well. Maybe if he gets a decent result it will show that Petter might not be past it just yet ;)

Buzz Lightyear
24th December 2008, 14:15
Apparently..Novikov was substanially faster than Ogier in a ~1min loop at pre-Rally GB test, but it was an accident in the making at every corner.

Xsara Fan
24th December 2008, 14:22
Apparently..Novikov was substanially faster than Ogier in a ~1min loop at pre-Rally GB test, but it was an accident in the making at every corner.

Novikov is really fast driver. And also there is a very important fact - he quickly learns new cars. In 2008 he won rallys with Subaru Impreza, Mitsubishi Lancer and Peugeot 207 Super-2000 (at first start).

JRodrigues
24th December 2008, 14:34
Very good for Atkinson.. He deserves a proper rally car. I'm really confident he'll do well. He's been very fast on tarmac (although not Loeb/Sordo speed).

urabus-denoS2000
24th December 2008, 14:40
Wow,very nice news out of nowhere!!!!

Psycho!
24th December 2008, 14:48
You don't know that!!He always had a worse car and in comparison with Petter,he was faster many times(at least on tarmac).I feel very confident about him...

RS
24th December 2008, 14:50
Some good news for WRC at last.

Rautenbach is just filling one car for the whole year but Ogier and Novikov should be interesting at least.

Don't think there''ll be 4 cars starting in Ireland though as some have presumed? Rounds are yet to be confirmed.

Tom206wrc
24th December 2008, 14:56
I wonder if Atko in the "proper car" will be faster than the official Ford M-Sport drivers in Ireland... ;)

Abarth
24th December 2008, 14:57
Atko will win !

Barreis
24th December 2008, 15:18
I hope Loeb will win or someone who didn't have to pay for a seat.. Only pure talent..

Roy
24th December 2008, 15:40
Wow! Great! Nice to see another 'MT'.

Good to see Atkinson has found a car.

N.O.T
24th December 2008, 15:51
The idea is great.... but the problem is they might act as supporting clowns for the citroen main boys when they need them, just like the clowns Stobart used this year in some rallies to help Hirvonen and Latvala.

The positive thing is that all of them apart from Rautenbach are proper drivers.

jens
24th December 2008, 15:56
I agree that this is absolutely fantastic Christmas news! I was already hoping that Chris would get a proper IRC-drive for 2009, so that the WRC chance came totally out of blue! Best of luck to Atko! :up: Hopefully he can adapt to the car quickly, he should have the speed to do well and challenge for a podium at least in a car as good as C4.

ste898
24th December 2008, 15:59
Nest of luck to this new team

Now we will see exactly how good atkinson really is when he is in a top car.

Does anyone know if there is citroen in AUS that are maybe putting money in?

RS
24th December 2008, 16:02
I hope Loeb will win or someone who didn't have to pay for a seat.. Only pure talent..

I hear what you are saying to an extent, but we have to be realistic... There are only 4 paid works seats in WRC now, but that doesn't mean there are only 4 talented drivers. For me, there are two types of pay driver; the Wilson, Rautenbachs and Al Qassimis of this world, then the Ogiers, Novikovs, Atkinsons, Solbergs e.t.c. who need to find sponsor money but are not without talent.

Kamikaze
24th December 2008, 16:03

If he gets the Top Car !!!!
I think they will not get the same as Loeb will get......

Anyway, good to see more Cars on the road :)

Tom206wrc
24th December 2008, 16:22
Nest of luck to this new team

Does anyone know if there is citroen in AUS that are maybe putting money in?

Good question Ste ;)

That would be interesting to know if Citroën Australia has something to do in the deal(hadn't Subaru Australia a link in previous years??)...

Barreis
24th December 2008, 16:34
I hear what you are saying to an extent, but we have to be realistic... There are only 4 paid works seats in WRC now, but that doesn't mean there are only 4 talented drivers. For me, there are two types of pay driver; the Wilson, Rautenbachs and Al Qassimis of this world, then the Ogiers, Novikovs, Atkinsons, Solbergs e.t.c. who need to find sponsor money but are not without talent.

I agree with you.. It seems that these days the best combination is to have both: talent and money. But I am glad for Loeb 'cos he didn't put money in it and became the best possible rally driver ever..

muscrae
24th December 2008, 17:14
Great news for the deterioting sport...

bluuford
24th December 2008, 19:51
hrr Novikov.. Well I dont expect him to be at the end of most of the rallies but at least we have got one of the most spectacular drivers into WR car :-) I watched all the rallies when he took part in Estonian championship and saw how he lost his title in the last rally (rolled off road). Just a little time before he hit a stone pile (my friend was on top of it and thought that he is dead now) that accidentally pushed him back on the road.

Accidentally I saw how he breaked his car in Tallinn rally as well and in Viru rally he was nearly off road in my spectating point (well, one wheel was still lightly touching the road).

Well, If we can say that current Estonian champion is using all the road.. then we can say that if the road is 4 meters wide then Novikov is using at least 6 meters of it:-P
He can be extremely fast on smooth roads, but his driving style is not good for rough rallies.

Anyway. I hope to see more drivers in WRC like him ;-)

Xsara Fan
24th December 2008, 19:56
He can be extremely fast on smooth roads, but his driving style is not good for rough rallies.

LOL! Do you know about his speed at IRC Rally Russia? It was one of the most roughest rallies in the world!

Gard
24th December 2008, 21:48
Will be interesting to se what Citroen will do when the junior team treathens the M1 positions

curry
24th December 2008, 22:17
And good for Atko but what happened to what he said in that interview with FoxSports? "Im not paying for a drive"!! LOL

I think reality sank in!

"It is our belief that our association with Chris will not stop there."

Petter must be pissed, especially when he watches the event from his lounge chair.

Hopefully for Chris he can get up to speed with the car quickly and most of all stay on the road in what is going to be a very difficult rally.

This is great for the WRC next year, hopefully we can have some good results from the 'junior' team and a result some more interesting racing. However I don't expect to see anything out of Rautenbach - sorry don't rate him.

By the way, what is the latest with Aava? (I do rate him by the way)

alleskids
24th December 2008, 22:35
Maybe Aava wil drive the second Subaru. Still no news on the Abapt Subaru's second seat, now that Novikov is on the Citroen camp?

Anti-Lag-Rocks
24th December 2008, 23:23
Amazing news for Chris, I would love to know how the deal came together so quickly. I really hope a good result and more events will follow for him, he deserves the chance in a better car, for sure...!

bluuford
24th December 2008, 23:40
LOL! Do you know about his speed at IRC Rally Russia? It was one of the most roughest rallies in the world!

Yes I know..
But the thing I was talking about was reflects on the next quote:
Those who fell foul of these hazards on the final day included Evgeny Novikov who had been an excellent second o/a. Novikov (Subaru) broke a suspension arm on SS11 and was forced to tackle the final stage on three wheels. He didn't make it through SS12 and had to retire after such a galant run.

of course group N is very fragile but is just the way he drives.. and i like it to watch:-)

ShiftingGears
25th December 2008, 03:32
Best WRC news I have heard for a while.

grugsticles
25th December 2008, 04:50
Petter must be pissed, especially when he watches the event from his lounge chair.

Hmm, well I dont think it would be for a lack of trying.
I read somwhere (wrc.com I think) that Chris is contracted to Prodrive and Petter to Subaru which would make it harder for Petter to find a drive for another manufactuer. Mind you I think Petter was undergoing negotiations with Subaru at the time reguarding his contract but Im not sure of the result.

But as for the whole M2 team from Citroen, Im stoked! Not only does it mean that the manufacturers title could be better fought (ie. there wont be a monopoly of Fords against 2 or 3 Citreons) but it also paves the way for more drivers to be in top machinery which, hopefully, will give different drivers a fighting chance.
I honestly think that there are 10 possible winning drivers for the 09 season (surface and situation dependant).

curry
25th December 2008, 05:24
Hmm, well I dont think it would be for a lack of trying.

Agreed, but that would make it even worse that your ex-teammate is going to be competing in the next event and you’re not.

Xsara Fan
25th December 2008, 07:37
Yes I know..
But the thing I was talking about was reflects on the next quote:
Those who fell foul of these hazards on the final day included Evgeny Novikov who had been an excellent second o/a. Novikov (Subaru) broke a suspension arm on SS11 and was forced to tackle the final stage on three wheels. He didn't make it through SS12 and had to retire after such a galant run.

of course group N is very fragile but is just the way he drives.. and i like it to watch:-)

This rally was a total disaster for group N cars - all of the Russian Rally Championship leaders destroyed their cars...

alleskids
25th December 2008, 09:17
Amazing news for Chris, I would love to know how the deal came together so quickly. I really hope a good result and more events will follow for him, he deserves the chance in a better car, for sure...!

In the Rally Ireland 2009 tread someone mentioned that Citroen only has 5 C4 WRCars, so only 3 C4 available for the junior team. Rautenbach does all season, so Novikov, Ogier and Atkinson have to share the other 2 cars. Novikov will do minimum 8 rounds, and I expect Ogier's budget to increase during the season, just like Sordo's did when the good results came in 2006. That leaves not much room for Atkinson. I think only Rally Australia is more or less secured for him.

Xsara Fan
25th December 2008, 09:46
In the Rally Ireland 2009 tread someone mentioned that Citroen only has 5 C4 WRCars, so only 3 C4 available for the junior team. Rautenbach does all season, so Novikov, Ogier and Atkinson have to share the other 2 cars. Novikov will do minimum 8 rounds, and I expect Ogier's budget to increase during the season, just like Sordo's did when the good results came in 2006. That leaves not much room for Atkinson. I think only Rally Australia is more or less secured for him.

Citroen has more than 5 C4`s, trust me ;) The problem is the number of mechanics. In 2008 PH-Sport works only with 2 cars, but if they have more mechanics they could work with more cars.

KF1800
25th December 2008, 10:24
all paying.

Hi, do you have any proof that Atko is paying? I find it really hard to believe that he would pay €180K for one rally - especially a tarmac one. I don't think he would have €180K to splash on this or that he would have the financial support from outside.

Tomi
25th December 2008, 10:27

maybe but Citroen has more use of Atkinson than they have of the others.

alleskids
25th December 2008, 11:28
Atkinson is more usefull in stealing Manufacturer points from BP Ford then Rautenbach that is for sure. I am curious to who will be nominated for what rally. I am affraid that Rautenbach will be nominated for all 12 rallies.

MikeD
25th December 2008, 12:00
I am affraid that Rautenbach will be nominated for all 12 rallies.

I very much doubt that. They will only nominate him when they have no other choice. It's the same with Wilslow - he's only nominated when Stobart have no other choice.

Maui J.
25th December 2008, 18:55
Great news.
I wonder if Dani is a little nervous of this new team. If Chris gets some good results and Dani doesn't, we may see a similar thing to what happened at Ford when Jari Matti was replaced for a few events from the number 1 team.

Some positive WRC news at last. Roll on Ireland

StevieWonder
25th December 2008, 20:57
I very much doubt that. They will only nominate him when they have no other choice. It's the same with Wilslow - he's only nominated when Stobart have no other choice.

as I know you must have a number one driver in each team, who does all events (8 at minimum for M2-teams) and who is then nominated for the manufacturer´s points.
so this means, that even rautenbach or novikov will be the number one driver - as there are only 6 rounds planned for Ogier at the moment.

correct me, if this info is not correct.

Helstar
25th December 2008, 20:58
I honestly think that there are 10 possible drivers who can score a second place for the 09 season (surface and situation dependant).
Fixed for you (and anyway 10 drivers are way too many ^^).

DonJippo
25th December 2008, 22:08
as I know you must have a number one driver in each team, who does all events (8 at minimum for M2-teams) and who is then nominated for the manufacturer´s points.
so this means, that even rautenbach or novikov will be the number one driver - as there are only 6 rounds planned for Ogier at the moment.

#1 driver rule applies only on Manufacturers a.k.a. M1 teams.

MikeD
25th December 2008, 22:48

The Citroën Junior Team is an M2 team and they can nominate whoever they want for each round. The rule you are refering to is for M1 teams.

Tom206wrc
26th December 2008, 10:28
According to Prévot his belgian codriver, Atkinson would be cloth to a deal for eight rallies in the C4... ;)

alleskids
26th December 2008, 10:48
That would be great news. I hope they can make the deal happen.
PH Sport is assisting Citroen Sport on the logistic during the rallies and tests?

Tom206wrc
26th December 2008, 10:53
PH Sport is assisting Citroen Sport on the logistic during the rallies and tests?

Normally yes ;)

Andrey
26th December 2008, 12:04
Confirmed WRC program for Novikov:
Norway
Cyprus
Portugal
Italy
Greece
Poland
Spain
Great Britain

and some rallies in Czech Republic with gr.N car

urabus-denoS2000
26th December 2008, 12:22

He knows where the best competiton is ;)

Xsara Fan
26th December 2008, 12:43
Confirmed WRC program for Novikov:
Norway
Cyprus
Portugal
Italy
Greece
Poland
Spain
Great Britain

Some more info. Novikov will have 8 days of testing. In contract with Citroen there are no words about ‘team orders’ for Novikov. But if Citroen Sport will ask him to help, he`ll do it :)

Tom206wrc
26th December 2008, 12:49

Knowing Quesnel will become boss of Peugeot-Sport too in 2009, couldn't be a 207 S2000 for Novikov in CZ ??? :confused:

Xsara Fan
26th December 2008, 13:07
http://img78.imageshack.us/img78/862/eartc4frontv01dz4.th.jpg (http://img78.imageshack.us/my.php?image=eartc4frontv01dz4.jpg)

MikeD
26th December 2008, 13:15
http://img78.imageshack.us/img78/862/eartc4frontv01dz4.th.jpg (http://img78.imageshack.us/my.php?image=eartc4frontv01dz4.jpg)

Is that Photoshop or from a test with Novikov?

Xsara Fan
26th December 2008, 13:18
Is that Photoshop or from a test with Novikov?

Photoshop made by Citroen specialists. They gave this photo for Novikov`s manager :)

Mirek
26th December 2008, 14:40
Andrey: Is the Czech gr.N programme sure or just a rumour? :)

Andrey
26th December 2008, 15:14
]Andrey: Is the Czech gr.N programme sure or just a rumour? :)

Yes, sure. They talking about 3-5 races of Czech championship for to get an experience on tarmac roads.

Mirek
26th December 2008, 15:18
Great indeed! Thanks

Kamikaze
26th December 2008, 15:48
...there are no words about ‘team orders’ for Novikov. But if Citroen Sport will ask him to help, he`ll do it :)

What a surprise ;)

Doon
26th December 2008, 20:44
The idea is great.... but the problem is they might act as supporting clowns for the citroen main boys when they need them, just like the clowns Stobart used this year in some rallies to help Hirvonen and Latvala.

The positive thing is that all of them apart from Rautenbach are proper drivers.

Well said N.O.T, I second that!

Merry Christmas to all

RJL25
27th December 2008, 09:12
Regarding Atkinson, he isn't paying for this drive, hence why there aren't many of them.

When Atkinson said he wasn't going to pay for a drive, it wasn't because he feels that he shouldn't have to or anything like that, it was purely because he has no means to pay! While his family are far from living on struggle street, they are far from having the kind of money required to pay for a WRC drive, and ontop of this now that he is no longer in a subaru (and therefore there will be no Subaru Australia money) Chris has no sponsors. Australian drivers always struggle for sponsorship in europe because Australian companies get no exposure over there and therefore aren't willing to provide support, and european sponsors would rather have their money tied to european drivers.

This drive with Citroen is basically a limited kind of deal, probably rally australia and a few other rallies such as tarmac rallies where the other drivers in the squad won't be competitive enough to take points off ford. Chris will be there purely to get points for the team when required.

Chris is actually a reasonably experienced driver now and i'm sure there are alot of "pay teams" out there who would love to have him, so if he was going to pay for a drive, assuming he had the money to do that which he doesn't, he would go for a season long deal, not a "rally here and a rally there" type deal

JimmyNav
27th December 2008, 09:35
Regarding Atkinson, he isn't paying for this drive, hence why there aren't many of them.

When Atkinson said he wasn't going to pay for a drive, it wasn't because he feels that he shouldn't have to or anything like that, it was purely because he has no means to pay! While his family are far from living on struggle street, they are far from having the kind of money required to pay for a WRC drive, and ontop of this now that he is no longer in a subaru (and therefore there will be no Subaru Australia money) Chris has no sponsors. Australian drivers always struggle for sponsorship in europe because Australian companies get no exposure over there and therefore aren't willing to provide support, and european sponsors would rather have their money tied to european drivers.

This drive with Citroen is basically a limited kind of deal, probably rally australia and a few other rallies such as tarmac rallies where the other drivers in the squad won't be competitive enough to take points off ford. Chris will be there purely to get points for the team when required.

Chris is actually a reasonably experienced driver now and i'm sure there are alot of "pay teams" out there who would love to have him, so if he was going to pay for a drive, assuming he had the money to do that which he doesn't, he would go for a season long deal, not a "rally here and a rally there" type deal

Read this here today...http://www.rallybuzz.com/citroen-junior-team-news/

"Meanwhile, Chris Atkinson is hoping to contest eight events with the Citroen Junior Team next year in the PH-Sport run C4 WRC, his co-driver Stephane Prevot has explained to the Belgian Media.
Atkinson decided to invest the money he received from Subaru, following their withdrawal from the WRC, by renting the best car available to him which was a PH Sport Citroen C4 WRC. Rally Ireland is the only event officially confirmed due to the small budget but Atkinson hopes to extend the deal, with the help of Citroen Sport, to be able to contest eight events in the junior M2 team.
Prevot confirmed that they will not be in Norway or Cyprus but expects to be on Rally Portugal to continue the programme."

Buzz Lightyear
27th December 2008, 10:04

what world are you living on? you have absolutely no concept of the current market.

sparco
27th December 2008, 11:41
Rautenbach isn`t good driver , he just bring big money for Citroen.
Novikov is young,but here in Estonia and Russia he saw only the good points of .

jacko
27th December 2008, 12:01
[quote="sparco"]Rautenbach isn`t good driver , he just bring big money for Citroen. QUOTE]

So what do say?? May he not drive or something??
It's the same thing about Wilson Jr. Yes, that guy isn't fast and will never be because it was already his third full season with Ford.
Why repeat all of you the same every time??

If those guys don't be driving, there will not be another driver/ car instead if you believe that.

You can say it's because of the money of Conrad R. there's room for some extra driver at Citroen now, see case Ogier.
About Stobart, i think it's a deal between Ford and Stobart to put WilsonJr. in the car. If Stobart has more money to expand for sure they brought in a guy like Wilks, McShea or Meeke.

In a ideal world i can make a list of 50 drivers wich i wanted to see in the best cars together in the same time...

Every xtra WRCcar is a good thing, yes he would not be driving for the points normally, but at least there was some progressions too watch this year.

Barreis
27th December 2008, 21:03
They are all paying to drive.. Worst thing. There was comentator on Eurosport in 1998 or '99 when Gardemeister was driving Ibiza kit car without sponsor stickers (Monte Carlo rally) and he said: "What a bad thing.. Not good for him and sport.. (something like that) What now? Only Loeb, Sordo, Hirvonen, Latvala (now), Solberg P. and Atkinson are paid. Stobart is Malcolm Wilson's deal for Matt and everybody else are fulling seats with their money (Duval was asked for 1000 000euros for next season). That's waste of talent... To pay and to drive World rally championship.. They should be payed!

Tomi
27th December 2008, 21:41
They are all paying to drive.. Worst thing. There was comentator on Eurosport in 1998 or '99 when Gardemeister was driving Ibiza kit car without sponsor stickers (Monte Carlo rally) and he said: "What a bad thing.. Not good for him and sport.. (something like that) What now? Only Loeb, Sordo, Hirvonen, Latvala (now), Solberg P. and Atkinson are paid. Stobart is Malcolm Wilson's deal for Matt and everybody else are fulling seats with their money (Duval was asked for 1000 000euros for next season). That's waste of talent... To pay and to drive World rally championship.. They should be payed!

Well, it has been like this for many,many years already, it should not be a new thing anymore, motorsport on world level is always expensive thats is why they use sponsors.

ShiftingGears
27th December 2008, 21:48

Talent rarely gets a driver into a premier class of motorsport without money to back it up. That's just how it is.

Tomi
27th December 2008, 21:54
(Duval was asked for 1000 000euros for next season). That's waste of talent... To pay and to drive World rally championship.. They should be payed!

If Duval would have played his cards a little more clever he would now be a works driver.

Brother John
28th December 2008, 09:14
Well, it has been like this for many,many years already, it should not be a new thing anymore, motorsport on world level is always expensive thats is why they use sponsors.

Do you have a sponsor to pay your bills? ;)
This is a beautiful example what there is wrong in the world today.
Why do five drivers have to get there around 5 millions a year instead of to pay 20 drivers around 1 million?
Exactly that is why the complete world has now financial problems. :s mokin:

Barreis
28th December 2008, 11:31
If Duval would have played his cards a little more clever he would now be a works driver.
I agree. But guy likes to take so much risks.. At least there's that win in Australia. Only mistake was that he didn't take that Wilson's contract from Japan same year. But then maybe that win wouldn't be there..

Tomi
28th December 2008, 11:52
[quote="Brother John"]Do you have a sponsor to pay your bills? ;) /QUOTE]
No, but I have sponsored, M.Grönholm, M.Kalliomaa, S.Vierimaa, M.Stohl, may I ask what you have done?? Crying on web site dont count this time ;)

Brother John
28th December 2008, 11:59
Do you have a sponsor to pay your bills? ;) /QUOTE]
No, but I have sponsored, M.Grönholm, M.Kalliomaa, S.Vierimaa, M.Stohl, may I ask what you have done?? Crying on web site dont count this time ;) I only sponsor my kids and a lot of musicians. :D
Crying on website? I have always fun on websites. :s mokin:

Tomi
28th December 2008, 12:30
Crying on website? I have always fun on websites. :s mokin:

Same here, but people often complain, instead of using the energy to something more creative.

Finni
28th December 2008, 13:40
Good news that there is real talents driving proper wrc-car. Ogier is very steady and talented driver and so is Novikov. Novikov may not be as steady but he might be more exciting/faster driver. Only bad thing about those drivers is the fact that they are at early phase in their developement. Because there is only one wrc-season ahead I would have liked to see someone like Hänninen or Meeke in the Citroen - they would have been ready to deliver instantly. Hänninen for instance was few minutes faster than Novikov in group N (except Japan where he was playing safe because of world title). That's not to meant to belittle Ogier and Novikov. They are one of the most exciting young talents. They are just in same position now as Atkinson, Hirvonen and Sordo were when they started.

I expect that in the long run Atkinson can challenge Sordo on asphalt and beat Sordo on gravel. But it remains to see how fast Chris is able to find good set-up and how much rallies and testing possibilities are allowed.

jparker
28th December 2008, 17:28
Same here, but people often complain, instead of using the energy to something more creative.
Very good. Now you can stop bashing IRC and do something creative.

jparker
28th December 2008, 17:32
May I count on you for some support for IRC ;)

Tomi
28th December 2008, 17:45
May I count on you for some support for IRC ;)

Sure, i have always said it's a good series for those who did not really make it and for those who never will make it, good enough?

RS
28th December 2008, 19:53
Sure, i have always said it's a good series for those who did not really make it and for those who never will make it, good enough?

No, because that is a barbed criticsm.

How about a proper explanation of why you don't like it?

For me, it is a championship with:

- a nice mix of events, which are mostly of at least equivalent quality to WRC events
- close competition
- not so many stupid rules as WRC
- a good and improving tv package
- 3 works (or heavily works supported) manufacturers
- many drivers there for talent and not money

alleskids
28th December 2008, 20:12
.. and for a lot less amount of money, so it gives more drivers the possiblility to drive a car then can challange for a win or a podium without the need of having a wealty rich dad.
And the IRC gices the rally organisations the freedom to run their event to their best possibiliy, like Rallye Monte Carlo will do for 2009.

Tomi
28th December 2008, 21:26
No, because that is a barbed criticsm.

How about a proper explanation of why you don't like it?

For me, it is a championship with:

- a nice mix of events, which are mostly of at least equivalent quality to WRC events
- close competition
- not so many stupid rules as WRC
- a good and improving tv package
- 3 works (or heavily works supported) manufacturers
- many drivers there for talent and not money

Most of all I think its the wrong way to get to the WRC, they drive the wrong events, giving to much advantage to those who drives in WRC.
The cars are quite pathetic compaired to WRC.
I have only seen Rally Russia in tv, even F-Cup here has a better tv coverage.
Also the events are not so well organised, at least not San Remo where was an observer, who gave a not so good report.
What comes to talented drivers, there might be a few, but the best drivers are in the WRC, for sure.
And offcourse almost forgot the China rally this year showed a real IRC top entry, hat off for that :)

PLuto
28th December 2008, 21:52
I think there is no point to make a discussion with Tomi. It is a pity, but nobody can persuade him to change the mind. Another championships can be the best, but for some poeple WRC events will be the best for every time...

Tomi
28th December 2008, 21:59
I think there is no point to make a discussion with Tomi. It is a pity, but nobody can persuade him to change the mind. Another championships can be the best, but for some poeple WRC events will be the best for every time...

Can you tell me what is the absoulte best in IRC?

Cars with better preformance?
The best drivers?

Daniel
28th December 2008, 22:13
Most of all I think its the wrong way to get to the WRC, they drive the wrong events, giving to much advantage to those who drives in WRC.
The cars are quite pathetic compaired to WRC.
I have only seen Rally Russia in tv, even F-Cup here has a better tv coverage.
Also the events are not so well organised, at least not San Remo where was an observer, who gave a not so good report.
What comes to talented drivers, there might be a few, but the best drivers are in the WRC, for sure.
And offcourse almost forgot the China rally this year showed a real IRC top entry, hat off for that :)

lets not forget that the WRC is heading backwards. In a year or two's time will the IRC be so far behind? I'm not so sure. For sure the WRC is still the premier series for me but I think the IRC will overtake it in a few years if it continues to be run so badly

Tomi
28th December 2008, 22:17
lets not forget that the WRC is heading backwards. In a year or two's time will the IRC be so far behind? I'm not so sure. For sure the WRC is still the premier series for me but I think the IRC will overtake it in a few years if it continues to be run so badly

Will not happen, soon as Eurosport loose the interest IRC is gone, in the way it is now.
In 2010 propably 3 teams from IRC will join WRC.

Daniel
28th December 2008, 22:21
Will not happen, soon as Eurosport loose the interest IRC is gone, in the way it is now.
In 2010 propably 3 teams from IRC will join WRC.

WRC IRC JTHDNJRC, it's all just a name though :)

The thing that makes the IRC attractive is the fact that the rallies seem to have more freedom as to how they run, the sporting regs aren't crap and the calendar isn't as big.

For me it doesn't matter which wins as long as it's a good series. Add the current teams and drivers from the WRC into the IRC and you have exciting possibilities. Do the same into the WRC and you have a couple more teams and the same boring series.

urabus-denoS2000
28th December 2008, 22:22
Can you tell me what is the absoulte best in IRC?

Cars with better preformance?
The best drivers?

No.
No.

The best competition and closest rallies.

Tom206wrc
28th December 2008, 22:24
Please, it's not the subject of this thread, the discussion WRC vs IRC !! :mark:

Tomi
28th December 2008, 22:25
No.
No.

The best competition and closest rallies.

If those are the criterias, our F-cup beats it any day.

Daniel
28th December 2008, 22:25
Please, it's not the subject of this thread, the discussion WRC vs IRC !! :mark:

And why you can't understand why the splits aren't showing isn't the topic of every rally thread.....

Tomi
28th December 2008, 22:27

You are right offcourse, maybe a slow day at the IRC section.

RS
29th December 2008, 08:36

Yes, as a staunch supporter of WRC no matter how bad things are, I suspect Tomi sees the best form of defence as attack.

Anyhow, I think this coming year for IRC will be better still than 2008, and we will see an increasing amount of drivers who will compete in both. Then we can make some real comparisons.

urabus-denoS2000
29th December 2008, 09:21
our F-cup beats it any day.

I trully respect your F RWD machines and the maniacs who drive them.
But by that logic Slovenias Yugo cup is better

I said that it has the better competition in WRC vs IRC ,for sure there are a lot of national series that have closer races

Micke_VOC
29th December 2008, 17:03
If those are the criterias, our F-cup beats it any day.

I Agree of that or Swedish Volvo original Champions =)