PDA

View Full Version : Have any of you....

tannat
23rd December 2008, 21:14
......authored or given a go to having a children's book published(speicifically a picture book for the little ones)?

I'd really like to do so, and feel my ideas are good, but I've received such discouraging feedback on the lack of response from publishing houses, not to mention the greed and the somewhat unscrupulous nature of the industry that it has been disheartening.

Any one care to share? Some positivity would be great, but would appreciate any stories or thoughts.

Cheers

Tannat

jim mcglinchey
24th December 2008, 08:47
For some reason it seems to help if you're an A-List celeb like McCartney, Kylie, Madonna, Ricky Gervais etc, cant understand why.

Is i-publishing not a much better route for an unknown writer?

tannat
24th December 2008, 14:33
Is i-publishing not a much better route for an unknown writer?

Hadn't considered that option. While I could see that route being worthwhile, it would be more gratifying for it to go to press., but I am certainly open to options.

Thanks, Jim

Tannat

Hazell B
28th December 2008, 16:09
I am certainly open to options.

I used to be, and still am sometimes, a freelance journalist. Not full time and generally not for proper money, but a writer of sorts all the same. My one bit of advice is ..... don't expect either cash or to be published 90% of the time
:(

I stopped writing for two magazines after my stuff, word for word, appeared with another name on it (my own fault partly, as I hadn't bothered keeping copies or arranged a fee up front). Another magazine paid me only in items they'd been given for free, which were all good things but hardly the same as the promised cash! In short, magazines and newspapers aren't the way to go either - sorry.

Although, having said all that, you could try speaking to a small, non-publishing house, magazine that is for adults with children of the age you've invented for. You never know, they may be able to help or even take work from you.