PDA

View Full Version : If you could organise your own motorsport event

Daniel
22nd December 2008, 23:18
If you could organise your own motorsport event what route would you use, what classes would you have for cars and so on?

If I could have my own event I'd organise a Targa style event here in North Wales with the following route

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&saddr=A4086%2FPentre+Castell&daddr=53.182186,-3.431093&hl=en&geocode=FRZ5KgMdsyfB_w%3B&mra=mi&mrsp=1,0&sz=17&sll=53.181614,-3.427198&sspn=0.004481,0.009613&ie=UTF8&t=h&ll=53.084127,-3.791656&spn=0.574921,1.230469&z=10

Doesn't look much from the map on google but if you open the kmz file in the zip file attached you'll get an idea of the topography and scenery. It starts out in a rather dramaticy mountainous area on narrow roads then once it climbs out of the valley it goes into much open and flowing roads and after a while turns tighter with and much greener with lots of trees and greenery, then it goes onto moorland with great roads then ends with some more technical roads with hedges either side. It does go through towns so I suspect you'd have to have speed limits some areas as I doubt you'd be allowed to have cars doing silly speeds through towns.

It's ~38 miles in length so is far from a sprint and has lots of different corners and has wide open stretches and very technical tight bits so would make for interesting competition methinks.

Not sure what cars I'd have but I'd like to have lots of classes for different kinds of rally cars as well as road cars.

raybak
23rd December 2008, 00:37
I am organising my own event. Will be held on the 23rd of May in Canberra with over 120km competitive.

Will be part of the ACT Regional Rally series and will be open to schedule "R" cars as well as PRC and Group N.

Will be using some awesome roads that haven't been used for a while.

I will post a link to the event as it gets a bit closer.

Ray

Drew
23rd December 2008, 01:37
If you could organise your own motorsport event what route would you use, what classes would you have for cars and so on?

If I could have my own event I'd organise a Targa style event here in North Wales with the following route

I love that road, well all of the A5 bit anyway, it gets most interesting just after Betws-y-Coed heading towards England.

Rollo
23rd December 2008, 02:40
Catthorpe to Glasgow down the M6/M74.

The cars would have the following restrictions:
1. They must be FIA safety compliant
2. The original car must have been bought off of a showroom for less than €30,000
3. You will be allowed to make any modifications except that the rated power at the axle must not exceed 500bhp.

I wonder what sort of weird and wacky stuff would be invented to fit this. And because it's held down a motorway, it would be nice and open.

Mark in Oshawa
24th December 2008, 16:55
Well I love the 24 hour endurance races as a rule. But since we are talking open road racing apparently......

I would love to hold a "Targa Ontario" very simliar to the "Targa Newfoundland" I can name numerous roads and back roads in the province, mainly in the mid north and east in the Muskokas and Haliburton Highlands south of Algonquin Park that would be fantastic but hairy roads to run special stages on.

That said...I watch the TV highlights of the Targa Newfoundland every year and that costal road scenery they hammer down at high speeds is pretty tough to top. If only Newfoundland wasn't a bit closer for me.........

Daniel
24th December 2008, 16:56
Well I love the 24 hour endurance races as a rule. But since we are talking open road racing apparently......

Doesn't need to be open road racing at all. The event I'm suggesting would be a time trial type event anyway. The roads are far too narrow for cars to race each other on!

MrJan
24th December 2008, 17:27
I'd organise the Roger Albert Clark rally and hold it in classic stages in NE England and southern Scotland. It'd be open to historic and post historic stuff and held at some point in the winter :D :D :D

inimitablestoo
24th December 2008, 18:14
Typically I'd try and do something completely different - by doing something that's actually a lot of very familiar things. If I may explain...

Imagine a multi-discipline knockout event that gradually whittles competitors down from, say, 100 to one winner. You'd start with five circuit races, held at five different venues (covering a reasonable geographical spread), with 20 cars each, and eliminate the last five cars from each. The remaining 80 would then head for an autograss oval, where they'd be whittled down to 60, then to a rally stage, a dragstrip, a hillclimb, perhaps even an autotest or sporting trial venue; basically, every branch of motorsport you could think of, as a way of showcasing each type of event. It's even possible a new event could be devised at some point too.

The final eight or so could go through to a Race of Champions-style rallysprint, which would probably be the best means of elimination (a drag race is good, but would be over too soon to decide the overall winner; I'd prefer to put that stage in earlier in the contest).

Because of the need to travel over the country, you'd be limited to road cars and, to stay within the spirit of the rules, they'd be as cheap as possible. Why, I might even throw in a banger race at the end, so that they'd be reduced to scrap anyway. You could hold the preliminary circuit races one weekend, then hold the other events over a Bank Holiday weekend, so that there'd be plenty of time to fit them all in without encouraging people to speed down the motorway en route - and to make sure the cars were roadworthy after each event. Easter would be perfect.

All I'd have to decide after that is whether it would be straight knockout or whether there would be some form of points involved. It'd have to be straight knockout for the rallysprint finals (although probably on a best-of-three basis) but before that it's possible a points-based system would be fairer.