PDA

View Full Version : Sale shopping....

GridGirl
22nd December 2008, 14:26
So I'm done with Christmas shopping and my presents are all wrapped. :)

Last week I was busy trying to remove the board of a plc and have them arrested for fraud yet today I have absolutely nothing to do. So I'm sat here at work compiling my list for when I log into my Next sale slot tonight. My list of items is currently over £300 and thats not counting the 32GB Ipod touch that I'm seriously considering as its only £169. I really need to start removing things and get the things I really want and not the things I'd just like to have.

What bargains have you got already and what will you be looking for when the sales start proper?

dc10
22nd December 2008, 14:57
I need to find a very English pressie for a Phillipino friend who has invited me to her wedding in Kuala Lumpur next year
any suggestions would be very welcome :)
I also need to find a cheap flight which includes a stop off in Bucharest to pickup another friend enroute
Apart from that, I have nothing in mind.

Bezza
22nd December 2008, 15:56
Sale shopping, get yourself down to Woolworths...

GridGirl
22nd December 2008, 16:11
But I want Firetrap boots and an Ipod not an ironing board. :p

Bezza
22nd December 2008, 16:36
How about pic n mix?? :laugh:

Drew
22nd December 2008, 16:59

There's barely any of that left!

If you're a fan of the Bourne Identity or Linda Barker, they have tonnes of those DVDs.

Hazell B
22nd December 2008, 17:31

Went in to a Woolworths today (first time in years) and the pick and mix left was either sat in a layer of gritty dust or more costly than gold. No wonder they went bust :mark:

Anyhow, Brown's department store in York already has the Radley bags at 40% off with the sales yet to begin, so I'll be heading there once January starts :D

We've been horse shopping again for the past few weeks, but they don't seem to be discounting them ....... wish they would :p :

Dave B
22nd December 2008, 17:51
I went in Woolies the other day and to give you an example their own brand "Worth It" blank DVDs were, even with 30% off, more expensive than genuine Sony or Maxell online.

Desperately sad for the staff, especially at this time of year, but Woolworth really were a dinosaur of retail and were lucky to survive as long as they did.

Anyway, sale stuff? You mean the goods which are inflated during the autumn just to make the savings look attractive in winter? Thanks, but I'll pass.

Daniel
22nd December 2008, 21:09
There's barely any of that left!

If you're a fan of the Bourne Identity or Linda Barker, they have tonnes of those DVDs.

They were restocking the pick n mix when we went in today? not sure why we went in because we'd been in before and there was nothing decent anyway :mark:

I went in Woolies the other day and to give you an example their own brand "Worth It" blank DVDs were, even with 30% off, more expensive than genuine Sony or Maxell online.

Desperately sad for the staff, especially at this time of year, but Woolworth really were a dinosaur of retail and were lucky to survive as long as they did.

Anyway, sale stuff? You mean the goods which are inflated during the autumn just to make the savings look attractive in winter? Thanks, but I'll pass.

So very true. I would only buy stuff at Woolworths if I was truly desperate to have it there and then. I have an Amazon Prime membership and I get stuff sent next day for free and it's without exception cheaper to buy most of the stuff I want from Amazon rather than Woolworths.

As for conventional sales. Well almost a month ago I bought Caroline a present from Debenhams when they had their big sale and got 25% off something only to find out I could go onto their website and buy the same thing for the same price but get free delivery plus 5% off and then get an additional 4% off through cashback :mark: So I just ordered it online and returned the one I bought instore for a full refund :)

No wonder the high street is failing when online shopping is just so much cheaper....

BDunnell
22nd December 2008, 21:18

Absolutely right.

Something that makes the Woolworths collapse even worse is the fact that in various cases, including in my home town, it was the only 'department store'-type retailer in the town centre. Quite a lot of these stores will be difficult to replace with anything other than a pound shop or similar, because the demographic profile of the towns themselves makes it very hard to attract a Debenhams or an M&S to fill the gap.

Daniel
22nd December 2008, 21:26
Absolutely right.

Something that makes the Woolworths collapse even worse is the fact that in various cases, including in my home town, it was the only 'department store'-type retailer in the town centre. Quite a lot of these stores will be difficult to replace with anything other than a pound shop or similar, because the demographic profile of the towns themselves makes it very hard to attract a Debenhams or an M&S to fill the gap.

Very true. In our town Woolworths is the only store of it's type in the town and until the new Tesco store opens sometime 2009/10 and there should be a centre with an M&S as well as some other stores. Up until then our big high street names include a Spar, Barclays, Lloyds TSB, HSBC an and Abbey National. So lots of places to take money out but nowehere to spend it on other than on fruit and veg or some meat :mark:

No wonder we drive 25 miles or so to Chester when we want to shop!

BDunnell
22nd December 2008, 21:30
Very true. In our town Woolworths is the only store of it's type in the town and until the new Tesco store opens sometime 2009/10 and there should be a centre with an M&S as well as some other stores. Up until then our big high street names include a Spar, Barclays, Lloyds TSB, HSBC an and Abbey National. So lots of places to take money out but nowehere to spend it on other than on fruit and veg or some meat :mark:

No wonder we drive 25 miles or so to Chester when we want to shop!

Sounds quite similar to my home town, which has a large Sainsbury, a Lidl and a pretty crappy independent department store — none of them in the main market place itself, though, which is already a rather sad place. The closure of Woolworths will only exacerbate this, but it was inevitable.

Daniel
22nd December 2008, 21:46
Sounds quite similar to my home town, which has a large Sainsbury, a Lidl and a pretty crappy independent department store — none of them in the main market place itself, though, which is already a rather sad place. The closure of Woolworths will only exacerbate this, but it was inevitable.

Well we only have an Aldi :mark:

AndyRAC
22nd December 2008, 21:58
I haven't been in our Woolies for about a year, and about twice in 5-6 years. Yet 10-15-20 years ago I was always in there, mainly on the way home from school buying/looking at cassettes/albums.
It sounds stupid, but I find it incredibly sad, especially for the poor staff - but, it must be said - the management were stuck in a time warp, and a lot of the stuff they sold was basically tat.

BDunnell
22nd December 2008, 22:04
I haven't been in our Woolies for about a year, and about twice in 5-6 years. Yet 10-15-20 years ago I was always in there, mainly on the way home from school buying/looking at cassettes/albums.

I suspect that is a pattern repeated all over the country. It's certainly true of me.

Daniel
22nd December 2008, 22:19
It sounds stupid, but I find it incredibly sad, especially for the poor staff - but, it must be said - the management were stuck in a time warp, and a lot of the stuff they sold was basically tat.

So true. Coming from Australia the British high street is a bit strange to me. You have stores like Woolworths that would have gone out of business a long time ago in Australia. Selling tatty **** can only be viable when that's only a small part of your business and not 70% of your business as it seemed to be with Woolworths :mark:

GridGirl
22nd December 2008, 22:48
Merry Christmas to me because I am well happy with my Next sale purchases. Two suits for work, a pair of Firetrap boots, the Freya swimwear that I've been desperatly wanting for ages and not willing to spend £60 on as well as a few other things for less than £200. :D I will not be spending anymore now whether it be in the sale or not as the shopaholic in me has been put to rest. Although if Hazel keeps talking about Radley bags I might start getting more ideas. :lips:

I don't think I've been in a Woolworths store this century. :s

Daniel
22nd December 2008, 22:49
Merry Christmas to me because I am well happy with my Next sale purchases. Two suits for work, a pair of Firetrap boots, the Freya swimwear that I've been desperatly wanting for ages and not willing to spend £60 on as well as a few other things for less than £200. :D I will not be spending anymore now whether it be in the sale or not as the shopaholic in me has been put to rest. Although if Hazel keeps talking about Radley bags I might start getting more ideas. :lips:

You say that but for some reason I just don't believe :p

Drew
22nd December 2008, 22:50
They were restocking the pick n mix when we went in today? not sure why we went in because we'd been in before and there was nothing decent anyway :mark:

Well they brought back those cups (you pay a certain amount for a cup and cram as much as possible in it) and of course it's the only thing that people went there for.

Anyways I noticed most of the clothes shops have (up to) 50% off sales, that's what I'm doing tomorrow!

Daniel
22nd December 2008, 22:51
Well they brought back those cups (you pay a certain amount for a cup and cram as much as possible in it) and of course it's the only thing that people went there for.

They have those in Target in Australia but 99% of the stuff is crap :mark: Though that didn't stop me when I was younger :p

Bezza
23rd December 2008, 09:46
Absolutely right.

Most towns already have a Debenhams and a M&S, and to be honest I'd rather shop in those than in Woolworths. I have never liked the place, although I do feel sorry for the staff. Main problem was trying to get a CD/computer game/DVD - you'd find what you want on the shelf, queue up for 15 minutes, only to be told that they have no stock left. For that reason, I barely ventured in there again, and that was at least 8 years ago. There must have been a lot of people who did the same, as that level of customer service is appalling. In Preston, the HMV is next-door, and their shelves are full with security tags, and the queue is never as big, so Woolworths never stood a chance - unless you fancied pic n mix!!

Dave B
23rd December 2008, 10:29
Hmm. I've just come back from a big-ish Tesco and it's surprisingly quiet. I expected hell on earth when I realised there were marshalls directing traffic in the carpark, but once inside it was no worse than a typical Saturday. Aside from the old dear who kept trying to barge my trolley aside, I didn't get the normal urge to go postal.

Even the petrol station was quiet (85.9, to save posting on the other thread :p )

The news is predicting the demise of Whittards of Chelsea (http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/retailing/article5386116.ece), we've recently lost MFI (ok that's no great loss!), and some experts reckon as many as 15 High Street chains could fold in the next few months.

Personally I'd be amazed if the likes of Zavvi can survive in physical form: their market is being eroded by downloads and the supermarkets and their prices have remained well above the average.

Daniel
23rd December 2008, 21:41
Most towns already have a Debenhams and a M&S, and to be honest I'd rather shop in those than in Woolworths. I have never liked the place, although I do feel sorry for the staff. Main problem was trying to get a CD/computer game/DVD - you'd find what you want on the shelf, queue up for 15 minutes, only to be told that they have no stock left.

We don't have either sadly! We have an Ethel Austin though!!!!!

AndyRAC
23rd December 2008, 22:01
We don't have either sadly! We have an Ethel Austin though!!!!!

Who's a lucky boy then?? ;)

What more d'you want? A Harvey Nichols....... ;)

J4MIE
24th December 2008, 01:57
As usually I will start my christmas shopping tomorrow around 3pm, I believe there are bargains to be had :up:

Daniel
24th December 2008, 14:29
Hmm. I've just come back from a big-ish Tesco and it's surprisingly quiet. I expected hell on earth when I realised there were marshalls directing traffic in the carpark, but once inside it was no worse than a typical Saturday. Aside from the old dear who kept trying to barge my trolley aside, I didn't get the normal urge to go postal.

Even the petrol station was quiet (85.9, to save posting on the other thread :p )

The news is predicting the demise of Whittards of Chelsea (http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/retailing/article5386116.ece), we've recently lost MFI (ok that's no great loss!), and some experts reckon as many as 15 High Street chains could fold in the next few months.

Personally I'd be amazed if the likes of Zavvi can survive in physical form: their market is being eroded by downloads and the supermarkets and their prices have remained well above the average.

Care to predict the demise of any other high street chains Dave? :p

Daniel
25th December 2008, 00:58
Wow! This web merchant is offering a staggering 0% off a big range of products :p

http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/sales.html?tag=mail_uk_uk_2008-12-25_30048&srcid=3690

Dave B
28th December 2008, 09:37
Woolies have earned a belated brownie point for selling me a £100 swimming pool for £15 on boxing day!

Dave B
28th December 2008, 09:40
Care to predict the demise of any other high street chains Dave? :p

Next week's lottery numbers while I'm at it? :eek:

Ok then: WH Smith. I understand that they're well run and financially sound, but their prices are a fantasy even when compared to other high street retailers, let alone the supermarkets and Amazon. I give them a year.

Dave B
28th December 2008, 11:58
Me again, talking to myself on this thread :p

The Sunday Times (http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/retailing/article5404090.ece) are predicting that clothing retailer Adams will go into administration, and also warning that such well-known names as Focus DIY, Jessops and Clinton Cards could be on shaky ground.

AndyRAC
28th December 2008, 15:32

The Sunday Times (http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/retailing/article5404090.ece) are predicting that clothing retailer Adams will go into administration, and also warning that such well-known names as Focus DIY, Jessops and Clinton Cards could be on shaky ground.

Yeah, I've heard rumours that Jessops could be in trouble as well - which would be a shame.

Regarding the price drops - anything from 30% - 70% - I noticed that the car retailers aren't joining in......

Hazell B
28th December 2008, 16:36
Focus DIY, Jessops and Clinton Cards could be on shaky ground.

As we wandered about in York the other day, we wondered which retailers would fold this coming year. You've named some of our shortlist. To it add Halfords (I kid you not), House of Fraser and a large part of me thinks Boots may end up in trouble. Smaller chains and family owned department stores will go first, though.

Gridgirl, I haven't grabbed a Radley grab yet .... too happy with my new Revlon (I don't care if they're aimed at old biddies - it's stunning!) and my old Tulas.

Daniel
28th December 2008, 16:46
Gridgirl, I haven't grabbed a Radley grab yet .... too happy with my new Revlon (I don't care if they're aimed at old biddies - it's stunning!) and my old Tulas.

Santa gave Caroline a Radley grab bag for Christmas. Got it on the Debenhams site with a 20% voucher and free delivery voucher too :p

Debenhams have now got all their bags 20% off and you can still use the 20% off voucher and free delivery voucher too! When you get to checkout simply enter SHA1, P5LP and you'll have yourself a nice cheapish Radley bag :)

Daniel
28th December 2008, 17:00
Yeah, I've heard rumours that Jessops could be in trouble as well - which would be a shame.

Regarding the price drops - anything from 30% - 70% - I noticed that the car retailers aren't joining in......

Perhaps it's the fact that I've not lived here for long but I wouldn't see it as a huge shame. Jessops seem to operate a sort of PC World business strategy as in pricing goods at 20% to 100% above what you can get them for online. With Amazon, Play offering such great prices and the so on you simply can't do this! I fully realise that brick & mortar stores have to charge more to cover the cost of staff and storefronts and so on and I'm happy to pay a bit extra so my money goes towards paying a person in my local area but with the way things are currently going a lot of these companies simply won't exist. Perhaps over a year ago when people were all flush with money and perhaps had a different attitude to spending more money for convenience

If DSG don't go out of business on their own as some expect I think Best Buy will bury them. From what I've heard Best Buy are actually quite good and tend to do very well in regards to at least getting near the prices offered by online merchants. Perhaps I should put my purchases off till the DSG group is having a closing down sale :dozey:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Best_Buy_UK

BDunnell
28th December 2008, 23:51

I agree about Jessops. The end of their 'original' store in Leicester isn't a good sign. I used to use Jessops all the time; now, with the excellent service I've received from online camera equipment retailers, they have no chance as far as I'm concerned, except in an emergency (they have a branch near me).

Others? Well, I think the survival of independent stores depends on the particular area, for the better-off small towns that have staved off the attentions of major superstores in the vicinity may be able to sustain those independents — from my home area, for example, I can't imagine Larner's of Holt going under because it's a bit upmarket and fits the area. Its business model, fairly unchallenged by the big players, would still seem to make sense. There must be other examples along these lines. My doubts mainly centre around the Arcadia group — Next, Dorothy Perkins, etc. Will one or more of them bite the dust? Halfords is an interesting thought, though, too. We haven't heard all that much about that market sector.

Daniel
28th December 2008, 23:53
My doubts mainly centre around the Arcadia group — Next, Dorothy Perkins, etc. Will one or more of them bite the dust?.

*feigns giving a **** *
Oh no!
*continues to not give a **** * :p

BDunnell
28th December 2008, 23:54
Next week's lottery numbers while I'm at it? :eek:

Ok then: WH Smith. I understand that they're well run and financially sound, but their prices are a fantasy even when compared to other high street retailers, let alone the supermarkets and Amazon. I give them a year.

I'm not so sure, given the fact that they have taken over so many airport franchises in recent times, so have many high-yield stores, and remain the dominant presence on the high street as regards magazine sales. None of the other failed companies have that position in their fields. I think a year is unduly pessimistic.

BDunnell
28th December 2008, 23:56
*feigns giving a **** *
Oh no!
*continues to not give a **** * :p

:laugh:

Exactly!

I thought my father summed up Woolworth rather well the other day — the shop you went into once every eight years to buy an ironing board cover if you couldn't be bothered with the DIY superstore. I'd add to that the fact that everyone used to go in there for the pick-and-mix (note my stress on 'used').

Daniel
29th December 2008, 00:41
I'm not so sure, given the fact that they have taken over so many airport franchises in recent times, so have many high-yield stores, and remain the dominant presence on the high street as regards magazine sales. None of the other failed companies have that position in their fields. I think a year is unduly pessimistic.

Probably true. One thing that surprises me about WH Smiths is the fact that they sell stuff other than stationery, papers and magazines.

There seem to be a few places here in the UK that try to do everything and just don't do a great job of it. Woolworths and WHSmith come to mind. Back in Western Australia you didn't seem to get so much diversification other than from big places like K Mart, Target, Big W, Myers and David Jones. But these are all big chains which have never specialised in anything and are expected to have "everything". Walk into newsagent in Perth and you'll get newspapers, lottery tickets, magazines, drinks, chocolate bars,cards and stationery which is what I've been told WHSmith used to be like! Here in the UK the WHSmiths I've been into are huge and they seem to have a crappy overpriced range of DVD's, games, printer cartridges and so on in addition to the things you'd get in an Australian newsagent.

Perhaps it's just me but my favourite stores are stores which do one thing and one thing well :) That said I do like Amazon but then again amazon do just about everything! Oh and Costco. You can't beat Costco for a bit of souless shopping because the aisles are so wide they don't get blocked up :)