PDA

View Full Version : another bid for honda, this time from mexico

jonny hurlock
22nd December 2008, 13:50
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/motorsport/article2059838.ece

2nd richest man in the world, owner of telmex, intresting?

jonny hurlock
22nd December 2008, 13:54
a bit from wiki

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlos_Slim

ioan
22nd December 2008, 14:49
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/motorsport/article2059838.ece

2nd richest man in the world, owner of telmex, intresting?

Interesting? Yeah, but it if it comes from "The Sun"... it might end on the moon.

ArrowsFA1
22nd December 2008, 14:57
Prodrive boss David Richards has flown to the Middle East for discussions about a potential rescue deal for the Honda Racing Formula One team.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/72549

jens
22nd December 2008, 18:22
What was the deadline for finding a new owner? Wasn't it said to be Christmas, when Honda announced its withdrawal? Anyway, the potentially interested parties don't have much time left, they must act quickly and decisively.

goodf1fun
22nd December 2008, 18:38
there is another man interested for honda team.. a greek one........

CNR
22nd December 2008, 20:37
redbull = Scuderia Toro Rosso
force india = ??

Mallya, Slim in race for Honda F1
http://www.business-standard.com/india/news/mallya-slim-in-race-for-honda-f1/00/31/344101/

Liquor and airline business tycoon Vijay Mallya is pitched against Mexican billionaire and one of the world's richest men Carlos Slim Helu, among others, to buy the Formula One team of Japanese auto giant Honda, a report said today.

A report published today on automotive industry website Motor Authority said Carlos Slim, Force India's Mallya and UK-based motorsport and auto engineering group Prodrive's David Richards have emerged potential buyers. Other interested parties include a Swiss hedge fund and Greek shipping tycoon Achilleas Kallakis, it added

gloomyDAY
23rd December 2008, 03:18
W00T! Maybe a Mexican native in a F1 car? No, highly doubt that as of right now.

Also, I don't care who buys the team from Honda as long as Fry gets fired!

Valve Bounce
23rd December 2008, 08:03
there is another man interested for honda team.. a greek one........

Zorba?

wmcot
23rd December 2008, 08:11
If the deal goes through with Mexican owners, they could look to Wendy's or McDonalds for sponsorship! ;)

PolePosition_1
23rd December 2008, 08:53
Whilst I have huge respect for Richards, and he would be my number one for taking over Honda, I doubt he has the financial backing to last in F1. Fact he is having economic trouble with his Aston Martin company, you have to question him.

In this respect, Mexican billionaire maybe be a better long term prospect.

jso1985
23rd December 2008, 19:44
W00T! Maybe a Mexican native in a F1 car? No, highly doubt that as of right now.

Also, I don't care who buys the team from Honda as long as Fry gets fired!

Salvador Duran runs in the Renault WS with TelMex sponsorship, so I think he would certainly get a seat there

CNR
23rd December 2008, 20:53
would like this to happen
Mexican native in a F1 car?
and that they use Alexander Rossi
http://www.dnaindia.com/report.asp?newsid=1212394

ioan
24th December 2008, 00:10
Zorba?

Nah, Onasis! Oh wait, he's not around anymore! ;)

wmcot
24th December 2008, 08:25
I have an idea. Get a major pharmaceutical company to buy up Honda and a couple of other teams. The drug business is doing well in stressful times. If business ever got too bad, they could always fix the races creating stress and depression among the fans and increase their revenue!

gloomyDAY
25th December 2008, 04:35
would like this to happen
and that they use Alexander Rossi
http://www.dnaindia.com/report.asp?newsid=1212394Isn't Rossi an American?

Either way I'd be happy to see either an American or Mexican in F1.

CNR
25th December 2008, 06:05
Isn't Rossi an American?

Either way I'd be happy to see either an American or Mexican in F1.

I got that part mixed up (Rossi Mexican)but when you look at how good some of the bmw test drivers go.

HenryM
25th December 2008, 15:43
that would be good to B. Senna.
B senna is sponsored by Embratel, which is owned by telmex.

Placid
25th December 2008, 22:48
Salvador Duran runs in the Renault WS with TelMex sponsorship, so I think he would certainly get a seat there

His resume includes the British F3 National Class title in 2006 and the
the BF3 Championship class title.

gloomyDAY
26th December 2008, 06:28
Salvador Duran runs in the Renault WS with TelMex sponsorship, so I think he would certainly get a seat thereHe definitely popped to mind, but I don't think Duran is good enough yet. Maybe in a few years time. I just hated seeing him struggle during his stint in A1GP.

ratonmacias
27th December 2008, 20:22
if Slim buys it senna is secure of 1 seat. rumor in mexico is that jo ramirez is helping him. and jo ramirez loved senna.

Placid
27th December 2008, 21:35
Telmex wanted Bruno if the deal goes through swiping him from Tost and Toro Rosso.

If it happens, Bourdais seat might be secured.

ratonmacias
28th December 2008, 02:12
Telmex wanted Bruno if the deal goes through swiping him from Tost and Toro Rosso.

If it happens, Bourdais seat might be secured.

arent sato barrichello and button in the running too?

if slim/honda happens then thers sato and barrichello at least vying for bourdais' seat.

Valve Bounce
28th December 2008, 02:20
that would be good to B. Senna.
B senna is sponsored by Embratel, which is owned by telmex.

I didn't know B. Senna is Mexican :(

Valve Bounce
28th December 2008, 02:22
arent sato barrichello and button in the running too?

if slim/honda happens then thers sato and barrichello at least vying for bourdais' seat.

Well, Sato might pass for a Mexican if you put a large Sombrero on his head. :D

ratonmacias
28th December 2008, 04:31

senna isnt mexican but slim isnt the among the top 3 or 5 richest for being a fool.

brazil is a huge market where he already owns embratel and senna is huge in brazil. if the kid is any good he will be laughing all the way to the bank.

aryan
28th December 2008, 07:37

Carlos Slim is very well established in many Latin American countries, including Brazil.

Senna is every marketeer's dream name, specially among the Latinos.

2 + 2 = ?

Valve Bounce
28th December 2008, 07:50
Carlos Slim is very well established in many Latin American countries, including Brazil.

Senna is every marketeer's dream name, specially among the Latinos.

2 + 2 = ?

Easy peasy: 3.98

paddocknews
28th December 2008, 11:14
Mexican native Carlos Slim, the second richest man in the world, on Saturday purchased the Honda Formula 1 team.

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2008-12/28/content_10569498.htm

Ranger
28th December 2008, 11:57
Mexican native Carlos Slim, the second richest man in the world, on Saturday purchased the Honda Formula 1 team.

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2008-12/28/content_10569498.htm

In which case I hope Rubens will be happy in any future racing endeavours he may have, because he deserved a better sendoff.

Bagwan
28th December 2008, 13:05
Slim would be wise to put Senna in the test seat for the first year , and keep Rubens in the car .

43 billion euros is said to be in his account .
That should be enough .

Placid
29th December 2008, 02:38
Once if it becomes official, will this new team open the door for a US driiver for either a race or test seat?

I know Carlos love to fill a seat with a Mexican such as Duran or Sergio Perez.
But it will be a lot sweeter to get a US driver back in the grid.

jso1985
29th December 2008, 03:03
I don't think Slim became the 2nd richest in the world by letting his heart tell him what to do.

Even if he would love too have a Mexican or whatever on his cars, he will hire the fastest drivers available even if they are from Pitcairn and Svalbard

Mach24
29th December 2008, 06:03
How will this work? Will the team continue to run Honda engines or are they in the market for a new supplier?

Valve Bounce
29th December 2008, 08:49
I don't think Slim became the 2nd richest in the world by letting his heart tell him what to do.

Even if he would love too have a Mexican or whatever on his cars, he will hire the fastest drivers available even if they are from Pitcairn and Svalbard

Rumour is that he has his eyes on a resurgent SchM. Don't forget, you heard it from me first.

ChrisS
29th December 2008, 09:04
Slim denied even having negotiations to buy the team

Mach24
29th December 2008, 09:54
Honda Racing deny reports billionaire Carlos Slim is ready to take over the team
Honda Racing have denied that they are in talks with Mexican billionaire Carlos Slim regarding a potential takeover, with team principal Ross Brawn dismissing the rumours as "pure speculation".

By Tom Cary

Reports over the weekend suggested that Slim, the world's second richest man behind American investor Warren Buffett, had finalised a contract to take over the Brackley-based team, who have been left without a backer since the departure of Japanese car manufacturer Honda earlier this month.

Slim, who is reputedly worth $60billion thanks to his substantial influence over the telecommunications industry in Mexico and much of Latin America, was said to have visited Brackley in his private helicopter before Christmas.

And Italian newspaper La Stampa wrote on Saturday that Slim had agreed a deal that would see the team line up on the grid in 2009 with Englishman Jenson Button and Bruno Senna as their drivers.

But Brawn told Telegraph Sport on Sunday that, while talks are ongoing with "a number of interested parties," speculation concerning the Mexican billionaire is wide of the mark.

"We would love it if it were true," Brawn said, "but it's pure speculation from various members of the media. It's just been one of those rumours which has developed a life of its own."

However, Brawn stressed that discussions were ongoing with a number of other parties and stressed that the team, who have continued to develop their 2009 car, werestill an attractive proposition to potential investors.

"There has been a huge amount of interest," Brawn said. "It's now got to the stage where we need to filter out the serious from the not so serious. We're all hopeful that something will happen and we're anxious to turn up the wick again in the new year."

Time, though, is of the essence. Brackley's 700-odd staff are serving their statutory 90-day notice period. Brawn, though, insisted that the team could limp through to the season opener in Melbourne on March 29.

He said: "We haven't really lost anything yet as it has still only been a few weeks. Everything is in place although we have had to turn down various programmes.

"We have enough funding to get us through to Melbourne and we still have a competitive package."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/motorsport/formulaone/4000204/Honda-Racing-deny-reports-billionaire-Carlos-Slim-is-ready-to-take-over-the-team.html