PDA

View Full Version : A New Cricket Dawning

Valve Bounce
22nd December 2008, 00:43
I was waiting for someone from SA to start a thread, but nobody bothered, so I'll give it a go.

Welcome the new #1 Cricket team in the World. It will be a long, long time before this Proteus team can be disposed. So they only piled on the second highest last innings score ever in test cricket to beat the Aussis - the way they were going, 414 runs was a mere formality, and they could easily have piled on another ton.

I salute you, South Africa - you will reign long.

Rollo
22nd December 2008, 02:37
I don't think that it's terribly unexpected. With the retirements of McGrath, Warne Gilchrist all in a reasonably short space of time, then it follows that top spot should shift.

harsha
22nd December 2008, 10:29
i don't think there's necessarily a number one team in the world right now

Australia,South Africa,India and Sri Lanka are about the same level.any team which goes to Sri Lanka will loose esp against Mendis and Muralitharan.

India seem to be on a high with wins over Australia in the home series and having come so close to winning at their previous series

South Africa are still susceptible against Spin bowling in my book.

Australia have to get in Shawn Marsh and other promising youngsters and prob look to have another Captain cause Ponting's not a good captain,not when he doesn't have the likes of Mcgrath and Warne to fall back upon

harsha
22nd December 2008, 10:31
that said,i feel chasing 387 against an England attack in the 4th innings in Chennai is a very brilliant effort too

considering the fact that England has a better bowling attack than Australia in my book(Swann and Panesar are better spinners than Kreza)

millencolin
24th December 2008, 02:04
I think the real test will be the boxing day test... if South Africa beat us again, then i would say yes they are the worlds best.

India still haven't convinced me that they are the worlds best, they are still a fair bit off it.

But Australia have been number one for a long long LONG time, maybe its time we sit back a bit... but dammit I DONT WANT THAT TO HAPPEN! Lets make Hussey captain instead of that lil brat they call Ricky Ponting (no i havent joined the anti-ponting bandwagon, ive always disliked him)

Storm
24th December 2008, 05:00
Yeah it was great to hear SA beating Aus at Perth but world #1?
Lets wait for that...I believe Aussies can come back strong and especially with the Ashes coming...
Also we seem to be missing the thing that India beat them 2-0 and England 1-0 (just 2 tests which ended last night and having beaten Eng in Eng last year) and has had really close test series in Aus (2-1 last season and 1-1 in 2004 ) so I have to say India look the far more consistent team of the lot right now.

But yeah lets see if SA can continue this form and then win at home against the Aussies too...well!

It is really close in between SA and India too, they drew the series 1-1 in India this year and couple of years ago drew in SA too IIRC.

Camelopard
24th December 2008, 06:54
Lets make Hussey captain instead of that lil brat they call Ricky Ponting (no i havent joined the anti-ponting bandwagon, ive always disliked him)

You and me both, his failings as a captain are clearing showing up now that he hasn't got Warne and McGrath to fall back on.

Sometimes I think it is harder to get dropped from the Australian team than it is to get picked.

Read today that Nielsen's contract has been extended for 2 years! He has not produced the goods yet he gets rewarded with an extension.

harsha
24th December 2008, 13:41
so is this the dawning of the new cricket thread :p :

millencolin
27th December 2008, 09:03
Well look who is back on top! Aussie fightback... and what about Siddle! his first over was AMAZING! Seriously, good on him!

Camelopard
28th December 2008, 04:52
Well look who is back on top! Aussie fightback... and what about Siddle! his first over was AMAZING! Seriously, good on him!

Siddle: a one session wonder! Today has been disgracefull from Australia's point of view.

Ponting has to be sacked, quickly followed by Hayden, Lee and last but not least Nielsen. Send Hussy back to the shield to regain some confidence.

The selectors need a good walloping as well. What's the point of picking Hilfenhaus and not playing him. Add Hilditch and Merv to list of
those that should do the right thing and fall on their swords.

If the sellectors had had the guts to make Warne captain, I'm betting he would still be playing and winning.....

With all due respect to the South Africans, the performance from the Australian team today has been a disgrace to the 'Baggy Green'.

Rant over!

ShiftingGears
28th December 2008, 07:27
Many missed chances to dispatch Duminy and Steyn today, and the Australian team payed the price. It's unlikely that Australia will win this test match.

Camelopard
28th December 2008, 07:45
Many missed chances to dispatch Duminy and Steyn today, and the Australian team payed the price. It's unlikely that Australia will win this test match.

Leadership or lack there of from 'punter' has to be a prime issue here, I guess what I'm relly annoyed about is having to listen to Tony Greig gloat and carry on like he does..... :(

Valve Bounce
28th December 2008, 07:48
I think Mr Cricket missing that catch has to rank with the best of Basil Faulty. I hope somebody will put that on UTUBE.

Now, our side are praying for rain to save them from the ignominy of a whitewash. :(

harsha
29th December 2008, 07:09
Smith is decimating the bowlers...

Game,Set and Match to the proteas..

what an awesome performance,Steyn deserves the MoM award

Valve Bounce
29th December 2008, 07:52
Smith is decimating the bowlers...

Game,Set and Match to the proteas..

what an awesome performance,Steyn deserves the MoM award

At this stage, I would suggest that South Africa and India should play off for first spot. Anyone disagree??

harsha
29th December 2008, 09:09
the Australians are down on their luck..

they got beaten in India 2-0 but they didn't play bad cricket (except for the matter when Ponting had a brainfade and bowled Hussey)

a lot of these losses are actually due to Improper selections and Poor Captaincy.

1:Jason Kreza-he might have fluked some wickets against India but he got hammered nevertheless.

2:Carrying players like Lee,Hayden,Symonds who aren't match-fit.

3:Ponting's abysmal captaincy where he still resides in his dreamworld where he's setting fields to Warne,Mcgrath and Gillespie

Get players like Phil Jacques,Shaun Marsh,Ben Hilfenhaus,I don't see why a guy who's averaging 47+ in ODI's is not supposed to be good enough as a Test Player.He reminds me of a combination of Sangakkara and Yuvraj Singh,a very very potent combination.

I also don't see the reason of not getting youngsters into the team(which countries like India and South Africa are doing so successfully).The Aussies do not have players who come in relatively young and have a longer career.

ShiftingGears
29th December 2008, 09:39
Phil Hughes has scored 1000 domestic runs younger than Don Bradman did, so he'll be one to watch.

harsha
29th December 2008, 11:40
Like i said..Australia has got to be the only team in the world which isn't bringing in youngsters.They always seem to give a call to people only when they are above 26-27....with Micheal Clarke,Brett Lee being some exceptions..

Steve Waugh and Ponting came into the side when they were very young.Don't see that's the case today.

Storm
30th December 2008, 05:13
Hahahah never liked to read about a SA win as much as today....Ricky will still be captaining the team I guess :p :

harsha
30th December 2008, 07:14
was hilarious to see Micheal Clarke not even defending the Captain's tactics :cheese: