PDA

View Full Version : What happened to The Simpsons?

jonas_mcrae
6th February 2007, 19:43
I still remember(and watch sometimes) the good old episodes of the Simpsons, those days in which Homer was stupid(still is) but stupid enough to make you laugh, those episodes that had a message at the end, i liked that half an hour in which you got disconnected from everything and really enjoyed a good TV show. Bart was still a kid, a mean one, immature, funny, that had kid troubles, not like now that he is a stupid teen trapped in a kid body, and Lisa was smart but not a smartas5 as she is today, march was a much more secondary character and had some ethics, not like now that she allows anything going on in that house. The situations dealt in the episodes were smart and real, things that you could imagine happening to yourself or your neighbor, not like now that everything seems surreal, things like dragons that talk and some other things that don’t make you exactly laugh. I don’t know if the Simpson’s now want to be like South Park or Family Guy, but if they are trying to do that they are not good at it. South Park is funny because since the beginning it was all unreal, stupid and with out any respect to anybody, and family guy, well its family guy...
So what i want to know is what happened to the Simpsons, what changed, what went wrong, who left the script writers team or something.... some reason that tell why is this show is going down the toilet.
I think the problem started around the episode 250 or something like that maybe later, you be the judge

Enjoy the pic, from the good old days

thanks for the comments

Brown, Jon Brow
6th February 2007, 20:00
Every time I watch a new episode of the simpsons I don't think it's very good. But when I re-watch them, I see new things that are funny. However, Homer is to dumb now to be funny. It was at it's best in around 1996-1998

janneppi
6th February 2007, 20:05
I've heard rumours that makers have wanted to end the show for years but Fox has wanted to continue, in revenge they produce bad episodes. :)

Andrewmcm
6th February 2007, 20:21
It went down the pan because they didn't let the characters age as the seasons passed. There are only so many stories to tell about a boy who gets in trouble at school, or a know-it-all 9 year-old girl.

Family Guy is funny because it has always set its stall out to be a bit mental, and Stewie is comic genius. Does anyone else think that he sounds like Rik Mayall?

Ian McC
6th February 2007, 20:28
Only just getting into Family Guy, so far I think it is brilliant! :D

jonas_mcrae
6th February 2007, 20:34
yeah family guy is brilliant but what happened to the simpsons i really cant get it, for examplo south park kids never get old and still they are great

RaikkonenRules
6th February 2007, 22:15
The Simpsons have gone downhill since about 2002. :( They sort of picked it up again last year but still not as good as it was in the 90s. Hope they call it a day after the movie.

Sleeper
6th February 2007, 23:55
Its been going for nearly 20 years, I guess theres only so much that you can do with this kind of thing before running out of good ideas.

AndySpeed
7th February 2007, 02:01
Its been going for nearly 20 years, I guess theres only so much that you can do with this kind of thing before running out of good ideas.

When I first read your post I didn't believe it, so went to Yahoo and did a quick search. I'm surprised to see that you are actually correct, the show started in 1989 and was conceived even earlier than that! :eek:

About time to call it a day I think. Hope the film's good! :up:

Woodeye
7th February 2007, 07:18
To answer the original question, they became a product. It's hard to funny and anarchist at the same time when you should be able to sell as much as possible.

Donney
7th February 2007, 12:08
:up:

stevie_gerrard
7th February 2007, 13:17
I agree with whats been said, i may not have been arund long enough to remember some of the first episodes, but it doesnt seem so funny anymore than it used to be.

I have to say though, from the movie trailers, the movie looks absolutely awesome :up:

jamessmith73
7th February 2007, 14:41
i belive they are making a movie because they have basically done a episode of everything and the creators are sitting round for days until they come up with an idea and after the movie is released they will do a few more then stop, ive seen clips of the movie and is like the new movies but have been working on it for a few years now and there are some very very funny bits

Hotbikerchic33
7th February 2007, 15:16
I cant stand the simpsons so i dont care what happened to them!! :D :rolleyes: :p

hoppers1212
7th February 2007, 16:54
the simpsons are realey cool

Andy

jonas_mcrae
7th February 2007, 18:45
seems that they ran out of ideas, i know 20 years is a lot but why not to change the concept a little bit? maybe they where afraid dont know, actually Futurama is muhc better than the "new" episodes of The Simpsons

jso1985
7th February 2007, 19:07
Matt Groening have surely ran out of ideas or he's trying to turn the shown into some kind of miz between South Park and Family Guy. and it's not working.
It annoys me to hell that in every single new episode Homer besides being stupid has some kind of mental balance problem, the fact that yells for nothing every single episode is just stupid.
The show stopped being good around 2000, the new episodes have no sense at all now, from the movie trailers I saw I'm not expecting much of the movie

schmenke
7th February 2007, 19:08
...south park kids never get old and still they are great

I find that even SP is wearing a bit thin, even though the "cast of characters" has changed.

tony_yeboah
7th February 2007, 21:17
i think it started going downhill when they kept having so called 'celebs' in the episodes. it spoils it completely and use them to disguise the fact that the dialog is rubbish. it was better when it was just the original characters.

jonas_mcrae
8th February 2007, 08:05
Matt Groening have surely ran out of ideas or he's trying to turn the shown into some kind of miz between South Park and Family Guy. and it's not working.
It annoys me to hell that in every single new episode Homer besides being stupid has some kind of mental balance problem, the fact that yells for nothing every single episode is just stupid.
The show stopped being good around 2000, the new episodes have no sense at all now, from the movie trailers I saw I'm not expecting much of the movie

you have all the point and hate the celebs in the show too