PDA

View Full Version : Ferrari would reject Lewis Hamilton

CNR
18th December 2008, 10:23
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/motorsport/formulaone/lewishamilton/3816186/Ferrari-would-reject-Lewis-Hamilton.html

Di Montezemolo went on to say that he would not trade Formula One's youngest-ever world champion for Brazilian Felipe Massa.
"Lewis Hamilton? Let's make this clear: he's a great driver, able to get within a whisker of the title in his first year in F1 and winning it on his second," Di Montezemolo said. "However, with all due respect, I wouldn't change him with Felipe Massa."

555-04Q2
18th December 2008, 10:28
Good to see him showing faith in his drivers :up: Somehow though, I think we may see LH in a Ferrari sometime in the future, even if he says he will drive for Macca until he retires.

Mark
18th December 2008, 10:36
That's not to say Ferrari wouldn't hire Lewis, if they didn't have Massa.

Dave B
18th December 2008, 11:32
That's an easy thing for Ferrari to say, because it's a totally hypothetical situation: Lewis isn't on the market nor do Ferrari have a vacancy to fill.

By that logic, I wouldn't employ Steven Hawkin right now.

Knock-on
18th December 2008, 11:55
It would have been a much funnier story if it read:

Ferrari looking to hire Lewis Hamilton

Di Montezemolo went on to say that he wanted to trade Formula One's youngest-ever world champion for Brazilian Felipe Massa.
"Lewis Hamilton? Let's make this clear: he's a great driver, able to get within a whisker of the title in his first year in F1 and winning it on his second," Di Montezemolo said. "However, with all due respect, who wouldn't change him with Felipe Massa."

Nearly as shocking as what he actually said :D

Valve Bounce
18th December 2008, 12:02
"However, with all due respect, I wouldn't change him with Felipe Massa."

Maybe he knows that Ron Dennis wouldn't agree to the swap either.

ArrowsFA1
18th December 2008, 12:03
As things are Ferrari have no interest in Hamilton and Hamilton has no interest in Ferrari, but as we know time and events can change things.

Valve Bounce
18th December 2008, 12:04
As things are Ferrari have no interest in Hamilton and Hamilton has no interest in Ferrari, but as we know time and events can change things.

Didn't Ferrari deny they were going to hire Kimi, even after I tipped Kimi to go there? :rolleyes:

Knock-on
18th December 2008, 12:08
Didn't Ferrari deny they were going to hire Kimi, even after I tipped Kimi to go there? :rolleyes:

Good think Kimi listened to you ;)

Valve Bounce
18th December 2008, 12:16
:D :p : :rotflmao:

wedge
18th December 2008, 13:02
Playing Devil's Advocate here: some drivers get signed onto pre-contractual agreements - just ask Kimi and Frentzen.

jens
18th December 2008, 19:48

Pretty much so. Also Formula One itself is changing so quickly every year, so who knows, what might be going on in a few years' time.

ioan
18th December 2008, 21:01

Not really, it was McLaren and Mercedes denying that he is leaving them.

Hawkmoon
19th December 2008, 05:18
I'd love to see Ferrari pinch Hamilton from McLaren. The look on Ron's face would be priceless! :D

Knock-on
19th December 2008, 11:00
I'd love to see Ferrari pinch Hamilton from McLaren. The look on Ron's face would be priceless! :D

And seeing some members on here wax lyrical about how great Lewis is :laugh:

Seriously, I would support him whatever car he drives but would be very disappointed if he ever drove for Ferrari.

aryan
19th December 2008, 15:14
Not really, it was McLaren and Mercedes denying that he is leaving them.

http://english.peopledaily.com.cn/200508/26/eng20050826_204634.html

Everyone involved denied it at the time, although later on it appeared Bild was right (broken clock being right twice a day!) and the pre-contract had been signed back in 2005.

PSfan
20th December 2008, 21:51
It would have been a much funnier story if it read:

Ferrari looking to hire Lewis Hamilton

Di Montezemolo went on to say that he wanted to trade Formula One's youngest-ever world champion for Brazilian Felipe Massa.
"Lewis Hamilton? Let's make this clear: he's a great driver, able to get within a whisker of the title in his first year in F1 and winning it on his second," Di Montezemolo said. "However, with all due respect, who wouldn't change him with Felipe Massa."

Nearly as shocking as what he actually said :D

Nearly as shocking?!?! What LDM said made sense because the reality of it is... The Ferrari Team lost Massa's Drivers championship, Lewis Nearly lost it himself... If I was Ferrari, after the season we just saw, I would not think about trading Massa for Hamilton either, now Kimi... thats another story :p :

aryan
21st December 2008, 02:06
Nearly as shocking?!?! What LDM said made sense because the reality of it is... The Ferrari Team lost Massa's Drivers championship, Lewis Nearly lost it himself...

Depends no your POV I guess.

The way I see it, Ferrari was the faster car on 3 quarters of the tracks. Yes, I agree Ferrari lost Massa's WDC, but Lewis 'won' it IMO.

Jag_Warrior
21st December 2008, 22:02
Depends no your POV I guess.

The way I see it, Ferrari was the faster car on 3 quarters of the tracks. Yes, I agree Ferrari lost Massa's WDC, but Lewis 'won' it IMO.

Lots of mistakes were made by both teams and both drivers. But I wouldn't say that Ferrari was to blame for all, or even a majority of Massa's misfortune. Massa spun and hit enough things on his own during the season that he lost enough points to put him second in the WDC. Even discounting his "gift" at Spa, had he not performed so badly at Silverstone, the WDC would have still been his.

markabilly
22nd December 2008, 05:04
Lots of mistakes were made by both teams and both drivers. But I wouldn't say that Ferrari was to blame for all, or even a majority of Massa's misfortune. Massa spun and hit enough things on his own during the season that he lost enough points to put him second in the WDC. Even discounting his "gift" at Spa, had he not performed so badly at Silverstone, the WDC would have still been his.

or some proper "team orders" at China, or a pit stop system that clearly was not working very well until it got "hosed" in Singapore ....or about another five seconds less time in Brazil....

LH will not go to Ferrari because of big egos at Ferrari. I think Luca became very jealous of MS and his crew to the point that at Monza, the one Ferrai person who was not shedding tears at MS departure was Luca.

Luca may have decided no big stars bigger than me and my cars.....and if MS had an ego that was sometimes displayed, LH has an ego as big or bigger and is always displaying it, and something like that just would not sit well at all with Luca