PDA

View Full Version : Who thinks he is the greatest driver?

Magnus
18th December 2008, 07:08
I believe that many of us forumers have a big trust in ourselves as drivers. If we just had the chance we would have gone far, and so on... you know the drill.
When looking at the big guys, grand thoughts of yourself and your abilities are very important for you possibilities to post good times, and eventually becoming a champ. Now, this is a bit odd maybe, but i have a little list below over drivers who I believe really think they are the greatest in the world, it is just that they have not had the opportunity to prove themselves because of the french guy and various obstacles. Different issues which have hindered them from showing the world that they are the best. Please note that some of the drivers really ARE great. I am merely brainstorming abt how they regard themselves. In the list are also some who do not think very highly of them selves...
Loeb
of course; he must think he is the greatest for the moment. he is the greratest for the moment!
Hirvonen
Could be that his problem is that he has a rather balanced view of himself, which in turn could pose a problem.
Bosse
naturally
Sordo
nah, I do not think he believes he is the greatest, an excemption amongst the topdrivers. He knows not to follow the example of his predecessor:
Duval
in Duvals case his trust in himself meant his downfall.
Latvala
Yes, i think he has what it takes :)
Atko
Yes, another guy with great selfesteem. of course he is the greatest in the world!
Petter
The best in the world
Henning
Probably the best in the world.
Galli
Could there be any more skilled driver? nah
M wilson
The end of the list; lack of selfesteem, or good personal knowledge, but also a problem on the way to the top, besides that every manu is going bankrupt.

other drivers:
mäkinen
Yep!
Macrae
Who else?
Burns
Who else? The tall finnish guy? Luck.
rautenbach
Why is everyone else so fast :(
D carlsson
i am the greatset. just give me the material and a nice drink and ill sow ye all!!
KKK
Yep
Rådström
No. Loeb destroyed him
Sainz
could be another man with proper insight; his lack of killer instinct is countered by extra ordinary skills.

What do you think? Any other suggestions?

shaitan
18th December 2008, 08:14
just another waste stuff.

Magnus
18th December 2008, 08:16
just another waste stuff.

Yep; just like this forum, and most parts of life. Welcome!
:D

urabus-denoS2000
18th December 2008, 14:41
Rautencrash:
"I am the king of the world,and I was going to prove it in Jordan because it was the first time.But then that stupid Loeb........"

tmx
18th December 2008, 14:47
e greatest for the moment. he is the greratest for the moment!
Hirvonen
Could be that his problem is that he has a rather balanced view of himself, which in turn could pose a problem.
Duval
in Duvals case his trust in himself meant his downfall.
Galli
Could there be any more skilled driver? nah
What do you think? Any other suggestions?

I think it's bad and sometimes arrogant for any driver to 'say' he's great, or greater than his ppers, atleast not to say it aloud in the media anyway.

Hirvonen: I think the opposite of you, the way he think and control himselves is an advantage. The way I look at it it's harder to drive 99.99% and finish every single rally than to drive 110% and finish only half (not trying to put down Latvala). Hirvonen is the most consistent driver in the WRC. But as you can see he really is switching on to driving flat out against Loeb now. Btw, I think very very few drivers can drive over the limit and not crash, like Waldergard and Rohrl. Also I am betting Hirvonen will be ahead of Latvala again in points this year.

Duval: I don't think he think highly of himself. With Citreon he was still young and hot-headed (probably with Ford before that too), he's much more mature and controlled now, that's all.

Galli: Also smarten up as a driver, because you can see he neaten up his driving. You can still see a little bit of his trademark still though. Even though he has a bit of crashes and unfinishes this year, I think he's has a very unlucky year. He has no test and was leading rallies and always fighting with the top guys on gravel rallies.

I would like to add Guy Wilks and Kris Meeke, who both know they have the speed to compare to these top WRC guys. Guy Wilks actually said it aloud to the press at one point, and I don't doubt their speed. Maybe with more S2000 manufacturers they'll have a better chance getting a factory drive.

Petter: I don't want to talk about, it makes me weep.

J4MIE
18th December 2008, 19:24
Sebastien has nothing on me ;)

Magnus welcome back to the forum :up:

Tomi
18th December 2008, 19:37
[quote="tmx"]

The limit is individual, if Waldegård or Röhrl drives over the limit they crash like the others, there is no supernatural people.

What comes to Wilks he is an ok driver but far from a top guy, maybe a bit slower than Henning or on par.

pino
18th December 2008, 21:21
The limit is individual, if Waldegård or Röhrl drives over the limit they crash like the others, there is no supernatural people.

Waldegård did drive over the limit when he beat Munari in Sanremo, and He didn't crash ;)

Magnus
18th December 2008, 21:35
Sebastien has nothing on me ;)

Magnus welcome back to the forum :up:

Thanks J4MIE!

Tomi
18th December 2008, 21:40
Waldegård did drive over the limit when he beat Munari in Sanremo, and He didn't crash ;)

no way he did ;)

pino
18th December 2008, 21:44
no way he did ;)

I was there and I can confirm he did it :p :

Tomi
18th December 2008, 22:06
I was there and I can confirm he did it :p :

I know, thats why i dont belive it :)

Camelopard
18th December 2008, 23:04
Atko
Yes, another guy with great selfesteem. of course he is the greatest in the world!

Where do you get this from? :confused:

Chris is probably one of the most approachable, easiest going drivers in the WRC (along with Henning).

Big ego? Over inflated opinion of his own abilities? I don't think so.

I'd be very interested if you could come up with some concrete evidence to support your thoughts on this.

Buzz Lightyear
18th December 2008, 23:27
Where do you get this from? :confused:

Chris is probably one of the most approachable, easiest going drivers in the WRC (along with Henning).

Big ego? Over inflated opinion of his own abilities? I don't think so.

I'd be very interested if you could come up with some concrete evidence to support your thoughts on this.
ohh... if only I had time to trawl through the posts when Atkinson first arrived one the scene... he was going to take over the world! not atkinson words, but our friends in oz. :)

Buzz Lightyear
18th December 2008, 23:29
The otherway of looking at it... if a drives doesnt think he can win rallys, or the ability to, why should he even bother in the first place. If you dont believe in yourself... why would anyone else?

Camelopard
18th December 2008, 23:46
ohh... if only I had time to trawl through the posts when Atkinson first arrived one the scene... he was going to take over the world! not atkinson words, but our friends in oz. :)

Granted, Australians tend to be one eyed, but no different to the Norwegans, Swedes, Finns, Kiwis and all the rest, but my point is, where has Atko ever stated that he is the fastest or going to be the greatest and so on, or even show me examples of his overly inflated self esteem? :(

Magnus
19th December 2008, 07:59
Hold your horses Camelopard. One of the reasons I regard rallying as such nice sport is that the people in it, from mechs to drivers, are nice common people. Pretty much down to earth the whole bunch.
The problem is that you will not succeed with your targets if you don´t believe in your self. my little list was an attempt to analyze the selfesteem of some different drivers. What I wrote abt Atko was in essence that: yes, this guy has a great level of self esteem, and thus he has what it takes. I am basing this upon his reluctance to play second base in the team, he is taking the battle with Solberg, who really is a great driver, and even beats him to it.

Regarding Atko as a person I do not have a clue. You get an impression from tele, and, well, that tells me nothing. I wish him the best of luck though!

ShiftingGears
20th December 2008, 00:07
I think that most drivers believe they can be the greatest. I don't think any of them believe they are.