PDA

View Full Version : Music and loudspeakers

Magnus
17th December 2008, 19:53
Many things are important in life. Health. Enough money to support your every day life. Friends and family. And maybe most important, sound and their way to the atmosphere: loudspeakers.

For my self I listen to just abt anything. Not that I don’t care. I really do care! My fav playlist on youtube reaches from Bach, Mozart, Rihanna, Blues, elvis, Rage Against the Machine, Sepultura, Blur, Eminem, Burt Bacharach, Front 242, Placebo, Eurythmics and so on.

I do not like to go out on clubs with friends. They spoil the fun. Especially girls: they want to talk and they want to dance. Now: is there any better way to destroy a beautiful piece of music other than dancing? Wouldnt belive so.
The best is to get hold of a nice Gin Tonic, and just relax. Feeling the music. Thinking the music.

But there are not many places around where it is possible to listen to music as you want, hence I have put some effort into my own equipment. As my house sits by the sea (two meters) with several hundred meters to the next neighbour, i can play what i want, as loud as I want it. If someone could see me when I am home alone. Well, they would probably think I am nuts. My daughter is used to my odd jam sessions. From heavy dance music to synth, to classical music, back to Sepultura. The contrasts make out for a big part of the enjoyment.

But this also demands a lot from the system itself. For the moment I have two Cerwin Vegas of the older school (1993). New 15" though. Amazingly good sound for being meant as partyspeakers. As backup/sub I have two MDS speakers with 2*12". It´s ok, but I would like to hang satellites in the ceiling in order to make the sound picture larger. As for the bass it is ok. When you play loud you have many thing shaking and causing distraction, so it´s more when youre in for a party the bass is nice to have, cause then you do not care... :) The system is driven by a Denon. I do not remember the rating. It weighs around twenty kilos but is cutting when you crank it up. I mix through a Numark mixer. I also have a computer in my bar where I keep all the music and can mix through deckadance or plain ol´Itunes.

So: what system do you have at home? Happy with it? Any recommendations? Any dreams? I have one, and if it had our oral ability it would anser to the name of Krell KSA25:)

I don´t know if this is a subject for a motorsportsforum; put I throw it out there anyways.

Mark
18th December 2008, 08:58
I think for most people being able to play music as loud as they want isn't a consideration, as we nearly all have neighbours of some sort, nice to live in a seperated detached house like that :up:

Unless you are chav scum then you play your music as loud as you like because nobody else matters.

Magnus
18th December 2008, 18:41
Whats chav scum...?
Pardon my lack of english knowledge... :)

pino
18th December 2008, 18:51
I have an old Kenwood (KE 7020) amplifir and a couple of Bose speakers, and that's just perfect for me and my neighbours :D

schmenke
18th December 2008, 19:01
Downstairs (living room/lounge): An old Technics somethingorother amp with a pair of brand new Sinclair bookshelf speakers.

Upstairs (family room): Yamaha 5.1 Dolby/DTS for the days when I really want to p!ss off the neighbours :D

Magnus
18th December 2008, 19:26
Bose: a landmark in loudspeaker tech!
Older Technics amps a rather decent stuff me thinks, but I discovered some time ago that they tend to break if you drop them on the volumeknob :( . Yamaha has allways been up there...

A.F.F.
18th December 2008, 20:38
If someone could see me when I am home alone. Well, they would probably think I am nuts. .

I know the feeling :laugh: You should see the faces of other drivers sometimes when stop at the red lights. Car is one of the best places to really listen to music :up:

Magnus
18th December 2008, 20:53
I know the feeling :laugh: You should see the faces of other drivers sometimes when stop at the red lights. Car is one of the best places to really listen to music :up:

Agreed!

Storm
19th December 2008, 04:08
I think for most people being able to play music as loud as they want isn't a consideration, as we nearly all have neighbours of some sort, nice to live in a seperated detached house like that :up:

Unless you are chav scum then you play your music as loud as you like because nobody else matters.

Exactly....lucky you Magnus :) :up:

Well if by chav scum you mean people who blast subwoofery/dance/rap beats out their car and apartment window all day long...well indeed then chavs are all over the planet.

As for me, I have an older Aiwa CD/tape system in my computer/books/guitar room....loud enough for my apartment, but thesedays I don't play it that often as I listen to music on my PC via a pair of Sennheiser (low end!) headphones....

for watching music DVDs though I use a Sony component 5.1 channel surround system and it is indeed quite good!

Everything isn't super duper high end but good enough for my needs :)

In my car I have again a decent Sony Xplod MP3/CD/radio with 4 speakers....that one isn't that good but does the job.

schmenke
19th December 2008, 14:54
...In my car I have again a decent Sony Xplod MP3/CD/radio ...

Same here. I installed that one because:
1) It's equipped with the input jack on the front face so I can plug in my iPod or XM radio, and;
2) It was cheap :D

Daniel
19th December 2008, 16:24
Same here. I installed that one because:
1) It's equipped with the input jack on the front face so I can plug in my iPod or XM radio, and;
2) It was cheap :D
I got myself a nice pioneer head unit with built in bluetooth hands free and an iPod adaptor too so my iPod stays nice and safe in my glovebox away from prying eyes :)