PDA

View Full Version : Official: Tata to sponsor Ferrari in 2009

Giuseppe F1
17th December 2008, 15:53
Tata have been involved with Ferrari for the past few seasons as an associate partner and Mr.Tata is also a member of the FIAT Auto board yet 2009 will see Tata appear on the race cars as a sponsor.

Seems a bit tacky for a car manufacturer to have sponsorship from another car manufacturer other than one in its immediate family IMO.

Hope this doesnt mean Karthikeyan will be testing the Ferrari as he has Tata ties - dont rate him at all!

Indian carmaker to sponsor Ferrari
Montezemolo lauds 'historic' Tata deal
17/12/08 14:45

Despite the global financial crisis, Ferrari has inked a new sponsorship deal with a car manufacturer.

The famous Italian Formula One team will add Tata, an Indian multinational, to its roster of backers in 2009, President Luca di Montezemolo told Italian media on Wednesday.

"For the first time an Indian brand will appear on the Ferrari," he said. "It's historic."

A Ferrari spokesman confirmed the deal, with the details set to be announced in due course.

Tata was associated with the Indian driver Narain Karthikeyan's Formula One career, first with Jordan in 2005 and subsequently at Williams.

Source: GMM
© CAPSIS International

http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/081217144502.shtml

inimitablestoo
17th December 2008, 19:36
Mind you, Fiat sponsor Yamaha's MotoGP effort despite the latter's Toyota links... I guess they could argue there's no direct overlap between anything Tata produces and anything Ferrari produces.

And there's the small matter of rumours regarding Fiat-owned Alfa Romeo using Tata-owned Jaguar's XF platform for the upcoming 169 executive, so it can't hurt to let them have a little ad space...

driveace
17th December 2008, 20:15
Does this tell us that Ferrari are short of cash and that ANY sponsership is welcome ? Also today I read that their team manager Stefano says that the drivers will have to take a pay cut ,as the days of the LARGE wages and retainers are in the past !
Will Kimi have to cut back on the liquor now ?

Easy Drifter
18th December 2008, 00:40
What's next? Lada and Trabant sponsoring F1 cars?
Delorean and Tucker will be in there next not to mention Bricklin.

Roamy
18th December 2008, 00:55
Who cares where they get their money as long as they get it. I don't know which is more hazzardous to your health Marlboro or Trabant

Knock-on
18th December 2008, 08:28
Perhaps Tata would be better advised putting money into their own businesses and not expecting the British taxpayer to bail them out.

Ranger
18th December 2008, 08:46
So Lenovo is gone to McLaren, Tata is gone to Ferrari... Williams really need to improve on their marketing skills! :\

555-04Q2
18th December 2008, 10:27
Seems a bit tacky for a car manufacturer to have sponsorship from another car manufacturer other than one in its immediate family IMO.

I dont see the problem. Cars is just one part of what Tata Industries does. They are a huge concern with many different industries and products in their fold.

Dave B
18th December 2008, 11:33
Perhaps Tata would be better advised putting money into their own businesses and not expecting the British taxpayer to bail them out.

Wise words, mate.

Robinho
18th December 2008, 12:02
whats the fuss - Tata and FIAT do have links in the producition of the super cheap "Nano", and as mentioned above are rumoured to be sharing the XF platform with Alfo in the future, .

i do think that for Tata to be running about putting money into F! whilst simultaneously holding talks with eth Govt over a bailout of Jaguar/Landrover to be a bit tasteless though, especially considering they paid Ford less than half what Ford had paid for the 2 companies, which before the "downturn" where both quite sound businesses

ArrowsFA1
18th December 2008, 12:05
To be fair, similar things could be said of other F1 sponsors.

whats the fuss...
No idea :crazy: :p :

18th December 2008, 15:16

Very true Arrows, but RBS don't sponsor Ferrari so are let off the hook in the minds of some. Pathetic though it is.

ioan
18th December 2008, 20:59

And rightly so.

tayto
19th December 2008, 18:07

Here, here. The Govt and the taxpayer has enough to deal with at the minute without bailing out companies who apparently still have enough cash sloshing around to enter F1 sponsorship. :mad:

Valve Bounce
19th December 2008, 21:49

I hate to tell you Knockie, but India is no longer part of the British Empah!!

Knock-on
22nd December 2008, 09:15
I hate to tell you Knockie, but India is no longer part of the British Empah!!

I can only assume you don't know about the Jag /Land Rover fiasco going on.

Labour Govt lets LR and Jag go.

Tata eventually buy this white elephant.

British government give money to Tata.

British taxpayer takes it up the ter as per normal.

inimitablestoo
22nd December 2008, 20:31
Although the latest update is that Tata will be putting some extra money in. Which seems only fair. Is Ratan Tata the only motor industry mogul to be named after a drumbeat?