PDA

View Full Version : The final nail in WRC will be

MJW
16th December 2008, 15:28
If all the tv channels decide the 2009 season wont be worth braodcasting. A few years ago there was a (very) last minute deal between ISC as was then and Eurosport to show the programming. As far as I know there is no guarantee that Eurosport will broadcast WRC09.
Here in UK there is talk of its 2008 home Dave TV dropping wrc coverage for 2009.
The Eurosport support for IRC may mean that by default that series becomes the best promoted and syndicated tv covered rallying.
If you were a TV broadcaster and advertiser would you honestly consider WRC 2009 as a 'value product' ?

Daniel
16th December 2008, 15:40
Oh no! You mean we might not get a 1 hour special devoted to Matthew Wilson next year? :(

:p

Ramore
16th December 2008, 15:41
I am wondering if WRC and IRC coverage is done by Eurosport itself or it is subcontracted, because the difference in terms of quality of the programs and content between WRC and IRC is huge. The IRC coverage is even funny to watch because of the incompetence of the narrator, in my opinion. To me, this two coverages seem completely different.

Daniel
16th December 2008, 15:45
I am wondering if WRC and IRC coverage is done by Eurosport itself or it is subcontracted, because the difference in terms of quality of the programs and content between WRC and IRC is huge. The IRC coverage is even funny to watch because of the incompetence of the narrator, in my opinion. To me, this two coverages seem completely different.
AFAIK the ISC do the coverage and supply it to the stations. At least the english speaking stuff. I think for other languages the footage is supplied as is and the station just does their own voice over.

Mihai
16th December 2008, 15:59
The final blow to the 2009 season will be the retirement of Stobart. Their trucking business relies heavily on industrial transportation and while industry is in a bad shape, they might consider cutting the expenses of competing in the WRC.

http://img73.imageshack.us/img73/893/stobartsl9.jpg

cut the b.s.
16th December 2008, 16:17
The final blow to the 2009 season will be the retirement of Stobart. Their trucking business relies heavily on industrial transportation and while industry is in a bad shape, they might consider cutting the expenses of competing in the WRC.

please no, not just as wee Matty stands on the brink of greatness :-(

RS
16th December 2008, 16:17
They will be screwed if Dave are not interested in retaining the WRC, there is little else place they can go.

With Eurosport, the WRC programming is made by North One. It is slick, but very bland.

The IRC stuff is Eurosport's own as Eurosport run the whole IRC series. I agree the commentary can be clunky but it is done as live and not scripted crap like the WRC stuff (ie. "Oooooooooooo look!!!! He's gone off and nearly killed his co-driver")

For next year, IRC should have live stages televised from most rounds. That is proper stages and not the indoors stuff WRC is obsessed with.

Brother John
16th December 2008, 17:10
At least you are awake and realistic here, Mihai. :up:

alexlake
16th December 2008, 17:16
Anyone know about Stobart, are they likely to pull out?

WRC is truely on its last legs aint it!

Larry_Japan
16th December 2008, 17:45
Here in UK there is talk of its 2008 home Dave TV dropping wrc coverage for 2009.

where is this talk? I know they might be cutting the coverage back from a weak weekly show (goodbye to Matthew Wilson specials & craziest crashes 7) to having shows only on Sundays of events, but there is no question of dropping it completely - they are contracted to North 1 & ISC until end of '10? The Dave coverage may not be to the purist's tastes, but it has got a load of new people interested in the sport in the Uk when, otherwise, the sport is gasping, so IMHO let's hope it does continue.

Daniel
16th December 2008, 19:36
(goodbye to Matthew Wilson specials & craziest crashes 7)

Craziest crashes 7? Really? I thought they just had one show they showed 7 times :mark:

Mihai
16th December 2008, 19:42

I am usually drunk and lacking the sense of reality, but this time I was awake and realistic. http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g202/gr8link/orn/00.gif :up:

A.F.F.
16th December 2008, 21:34
When Ecclestone says so.

BDunnell
16th December 2008, 21:45
where is this talk? I know they might be cutting the coverage back from a weak weekly show (goodbye to Matthew Wilson specials & craziest crashes 7) to having shows only on Sundays of events, but there is no question of dropping it completely - they are contracted to North 1 & ISC until end of '10? The Dave coverage may not be to the purist's tastes, but it has got a load of new people interested in the sport in the Uk when, otherwise, the sport is gasping, so IMHO let's hope it does continue.

It would be perfectly possible for them to get out of the contract, I'm sure — just as I think a lot of 'confirmed' entries in motorsport series around the world may not happen in 2009 — but I think it would be short-sighted, because 2010 offers a new start.

rallyfiend
18th December 2008, 06:12
It would be perfectly possible for them to get out of the contract, I'm sure — just as I think a lot of 'confirmed' entries in motorsport series around the world may not happen in 2009 — but I think it would be short-sighted, because 2010 offers a new start.

Probably not without it costing Dave a lot of money!
Why pay out the money when it probably costs them effiectively zero to actually broadcast.
This sounds like mere idle speculation based on zero facts.

ShiftingGears
18th December 2008, 06:26
When Ecclestone says so.

Ecclestone holds no power over the WRC.

Koppomsbo
18th December 2008, 07:01
The Ice Cream boys from argentina or whatever they are from?

JAM
18th December 2008, 10:28

Directly no, but indirectly the power is huge!

Do you think that if Ecclestone income's come from the WRC the things would be as they are? :D

A manufacturer in WRC is a manufacturer that is not on F1. A big WRC would be a threat to F1...

A.F.F.
18th December 2008, 11:13

So many of you think.....

Corny
18th December 2008, 19:29
the final nail would be that they stop the WRC for one year..

Somehow I wouldn't mind :p

Roy
21st December 2008, 17:11

I don't think so: :D

http://www.crash.net/motorsport/wrc/news/172803-0/stobart_team_confirms_2009_participation.html

wrc_flipper
22nd December 2008, 13:21
Armin Schwarz has withdrew his bid for the global promoter for the WRC
http://www.rallybuzz.com/schwarz-withdraws-global-promoter/

Sighting problems with the inflexible attitude of the FIA (think my dog could have told him that!)

That leaves two contenders, Eursport and ISCRally - who also reportedly not happy with the T&C especially after the last couple of weeks.

Eurosport looks to be concentrating on the IRC
http://www.rallybuzz.com/eurosport-live-monte-carlo-rally/

ISCRally look likly to keep the contrtact - hopefully they have more ideals than developing an online computer game!

RS
22nd December 2008, 18:55
[ISCRally look likly to keep the contrtact -

Is that why you put this in the "final nail in the coffin for WRC" thread? :D

wrc_flipper
23rd December 2008, 14:07
Is that why you put this in the "final nail in the coffin for WRC" thread? :D

Well my bid for a 24/7 channel dedicated to Burcu Çetinkaya from the Fiesta Sporting Trophy didn't even get a response! :s mokin: