PDA

View Full Version : Subaru history as well ??

Sulland
15th December 2008, 22:47
There are a lot of rumors that Subaru wil pull the plug an WRC as well.

Do anyone know anything ?

Tomi
15th December 2008, 22:56
you must be joking, where did you hear that?

JRodrigues
15th December 2008, 23:01
It's just that. Rumours.

yosssi
15th December 2008, 23:03
http://www.mtv3.fi/urheilu/ralli/uutiset.shtml/arkistot/ralli/2008/12/764726

Tomi
15th December 2008, 23:12
It's just that. Rumours.

its 99% true, i can't remember when mtv3 site would have announced bullsh!t.

Livewireshock
16th December 2008, 00:38
It may not be an immediate withdrawal but an annoucment that they are not going to compete in 2010 under the new WRC rules with S2000+.

We all know that Subaru were the least in favour of the rules, hoping for a Gp. N+ scenario.

Camelopard
16th December 2008, 01:17
So where is MickyT when you need him? :)

TKM
16th December 2008, 02:56
Haven't you read the lastest Motor mag? He's given up on it all.

janvanvurpa
16th December 2008, 06:47

What they need is a couple of RALLY SUPERSTARS!!! like Ken Block and Travis Pastrana.!!!

Camelopard
16th December 2008, 07:03
Haven't you read the lastest Motor mag? He's given up on it all.
Please explain! :)

Gard
16th December 2008, 07:37
Subaru Norway disclaims the rumours about the withdrawal on national tv this morning. Another rumour sais that Prodrive is bankrupt.

Press conference with Subaru 10 AM CET

Woodeye
16th December 2008, 07:43
What they need is a couple of RALLY SUPERSTARS!!! like Ken Block and Travis Pastrana.!!!

You consider them being RALLY superstars? :laugh: That's exactly what they don't need.

And if there's going to be press conference that means byebye Subaru. :mad:

cali
16th December 2008, 08:19
You consider them being RALLY superstars? :laugh: That's exactly what they don't need.

And if there's going to be press conference that means byebye Subaru. :mad:
Woodeye, you missed the sarcasm of javanvurpa's post ;)

Gard
16th December 2008, 08:54
It's confirmed Subaru is out!

Koppomsbo
16th December 2008, 08:57
Petter broke his arm after this PR stunt

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=graCdhtipt4&eurl=http://www.vg.no/pub/vgart.hbs?artid=555524&feature=player_embedded

Edit : look about 40 sec into the video

Roy
16th December 2008, 08:59
It's confirmed Subaru is out!

Link?

cali
16th December 2008, 09:07
Link?

http://www.mtv3.fi/urheilu/ralli/uutiset.shtml/arkistot/ralli/2008/12/764912

in finnish, but u can translate it.

Tom206wrc
Subaru Norway disclaims the rumours about the withdrawal on national tv this morning. Another rumour sais that Prodrive is bankrupt.

Press conference with Subaru 10 AM CET

That explains why Aston-Martin is for sale then(with Mercedes as main customer to buy it) :mark:

wrc_flipper
Could be announcing Gronholm for 2009?

Miika
16th December 2008, 09:08
Wake up.

MartijnS
16th December 2008, 09:13
:(

http://www.reuters.com/article/rbssConsumerGoodsAndRetailNews/idUSTKB00315320081216

wrc_flipper
16th December 2008, 09:14
Wake up.
Wish full thinking - just got the press release and they are out for 2009 - posting on http://www.rallybuzz.com soon.

miksu
Could be announcing Gronholm for 2009?

heh.

Roy
http://www.prodrive.com/p_releases.html

Subaru has announced its decision to withdraw from the 2009 World Rally Championship.

This sudden decision was in response to the widespread economic downturn that is affecting the entire automotive industry, and follows Suzuki’s withdrawal announced yesterday.

After 20 years in the sport, during which time the Prodrive-run Subaru World Rally Team has won six World Rally Championship titles, this is not only sad news for Subaru and the team, but also for millions of rallying fans around the world. Thanks to its highly successful World Rally Championship programme, Subaru has developed into one of the world’s most widely recognised and evocative automotive brands.

Prodrive chairman, David Richards, said: “Subaru’s departure from the World Rally Championship is a great loss as it is one of the sport’s icons. The Subaru World Rally Team has created true champions such as Colin McRae and Richard Burns and its absence will be felt by many the world over. Although this decision closes a significant chapter in Prodrive’s history, our focus now turns to the future.”

For many, Prodrive and Subaru are synonymous, given the long-standing and close association between the two companies. However, while the Subaru World Rally Team historically represented a significant part of Prodrive’s business, today it accounts for no more than 20 per cent of the company’s turnover.

Prodrive will look to redeploy as many of the rally team as possible in other areas of its business operations, which have grown to span advanced engineering and manufacturing for the automotive, defence, marine and aerospace industries, in addition to other motorsport programmes.

Despite the current economic downturn, Prodrive’s automotive engineering business remains buoyant as it works with vehicle manufacturers to accelerate the development of next generation fuel-efficient vehicles and alternative fuel technologies.

Together with Subaru, Prodrive’s commitment to its customer rally teams will also continue unabated for 2009 and beyond. Over the past 15 years, Prodrive has sold close to 500 rally cars to more than 400 private competitors and independent rally teams in 47 countries. During this time, Prodrive’s customers have won five consecutive Production World Rally Championships and countless international rallies. In 2008, Prodrive-supported customer teams have claimed eight rally championship titles around the world.

Looking ahead, 2010 will see the introduction of new World Rally Championship technical regulations, which provide Prodrive with an opportunity to prepare for re-entering the championship with a new team and build on its 24 years of World Rally Championship experience and success.

Dingardo
16th December 2008, 09:21
:(

teufel
16th December 2008, 09:23
sad day :(

J.Lindstroem
16th December 2008, 09:24
This is really sad. What can i say? WRC are now like DTM with only two manufactors. Luckily thee future looks bright with the new regulations for 2010!

Viking
16th December 2008, 09:26
Did not see that one coming :(

It must mean problems for Mads Østberg as well!

WRC1
16th December 2008, 09:27
we can only hope for a new world championship 2010, but for next year it looks very sad....

swordsman
16th December 2008, 09:27
Just got it too, should be confirmed by now I think!? Subaru leaves the WRC.

J.Lindstroem
16th December 2008, 09:30
Just got it too, should be confirmed by now I think!? Subaru leaves the WRC.

Since David Richards has been commenting the news i think it's confirmed yeah. Sad!

RS
16th December 2008, 09:31
This is really sad. What can i say? WRC are now like DTM with only two manufactors. Luckily thee future looks bright with the new regulations for 2010!

Hmmm, we will see what happens.

This is really big news. A lot of people probably only know Subaru exist because of WRC, it defined their brand, at least in the UK.

Halvis
16th December 2008, 09:32
Terrible news in one sense, but then again, I don't have to watch Petter struggle with the Impreza yet another year.

No mention of todays drivers in the press release, they are under contract for 2009, will they get their money - but then be locked out from other teams? Or are they free to persue other options? What about a Solberg Brothers team Expert in Focus...? I must say I am eager to see what Petter could do in a more competetive car, wish it will happen!

MartijnS
16th December 2008, 09:33
This sucks big time.

tmx
16th December 2008, 09:34
ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH .

I hope petter and chris are still be able find a drive. They said they are still involve customer base so maybe a private team. I need a beer to calm myself down.

Tom206wrc
16th December 2008, 09:38
;(

Leon
16th December 2008, 09:38
http://www.prodrive.com/p_releases.html
Looking ahead, 2010 will see the introduction of new World Rally Championship technical regulations, which provide Prodrive with an opportunity to prepare for re-entering the championship with a new team and build on its 24 years of World Rally Championship experience and success.

May be the "VW in the WRC with Prodrive" rumor has some truth in it after all. (I wish)

Maui J.
16th December 2008, 09:41
Buggar!

J.Lindstroem
16th December 2008, 09:44
Terrible news in one sense, but then again, I don't have to watch Petter struggle with the Impreza yet another year.

No mention of todays drivers in the press release, they are under contract for 2009, will they get their money - but then be locked out from other teams? Or are they free to persue other options? What about a Solberg Brothers team Expert in Focus...? I must say I am eager to see what Petter could do in a more competetive car, wish it will happen!

Yeah. No questions about that Petter has got the money for it! ;)

tmx
16th December 2008, 09:45
I must say I am eager to see what Petter could do in a more competetive car, wish it will happen!

After Petter made the switch to Subaru midway while driving for Ford, I think Malcom was pretty mad. I think it is not likely to see Petter in the Ford team again, but who knows. I hope he will find a drive in the future and not a Subaru, it's a sign from above that he should move to something new, good ridance.

While the Subaru World Rally Team historically represented a significant part of Prodrive’s business, today it accounts for no more than 20 per cent of the company’s turnover. Did not knew that.

miksu
16th December 2008, 09:46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=graCdhtipt4&eurl=http://www.vg.no/pub/vgart.hbs?artid=555524&feature=player_embedded

thats funny, first goofing around and then running after his car :D and broke his arm....well now he doesnt have to worry if it will heal in time for the start of the season

Roy
16th December 2008, 09:46
After Petter made the switch to Subaru midway while driving for Ford, I think Malcom was pretty mad. I think it is not likely to see Petter in the Ford team again, but who knows.

Maybe Cris in a Stobart?

Buzz Lightyear
16th December 2008, 09:47
Maybe Cris in a Stobart?
In his current form he would be a liability to a private team, they could not afford the repair bill.

mdesign
16th December 2008, 09:48
Sad, really sad...

J.Lindstroem
16th December 2008, 09:49
Hmmm, we will see what happens.

This is really big news. A lot of people probably only know Subaru exist because of WRC, it defined their brand, at least in the UK.

Yeah and at the same time its also in the other way round, many people know about rallying only because of Subaru and the succes that Ari, Colin, Richard and Petter has done with the team. So a big loss for WRC.

ln-ops
16th December 2008, 09:52
It must mean problems for Mads Østberg as well!

No problems for Mads, he continues as planned.

Who knows, maybe Adaptas 2nd driver will be Petter Solberg :)

Halvis
16th December 2008, 09:52
After Petter made the switch to Subaru midway while driving for Ford, I think Malcom was pretty mad. I think it is not likely to see Petter in the Ford team again, but who knows. I hope he will find a drive in the future and not a Subaru, good ridance.

Petter wrote about that in a book a couple of years ago, he said that he drove for Ford without a contract, he was promised one, and asked for it several times without anything happening - so I guess M Wilson had only himself to blaim for that.

noel157
16th December 2008, 09:56

S12 models?

Allyc85
16th December 2008, 09:58
Gutted :(

Fang
16th December 2008, 10:00

Why would he bother??

Doon
16th December 2008, 10:05
I was told by someone at Rally GB, that Phil (Mills) has had enough for now, and Petter won't do it without him......so I think he will retire.

Woodeye
16th December 2008, 10:06
Dammit. :(

Thanks again to FIA. You are doing your job perfectly at the moment. Only idiots like you can make rally icon like Subaru to retire from the sport! :mad:

ln-ops
16th December 2008, 10:06
S12 models?

They where supposed to have one S14 shipped to Norway this week, but now I do not know. Prodrive have promised to fullfill all contracts, so I'm hoping :)

Magnus
16th December 2008, 10:09

That is just... Petter is not a very lucky guy, that´s for sure... The audience had a laugh though. When was it? The 14:th of dec :)

Brother John
16th December 2008, 10:09
Luckily thee future looks bright with the new regulations for 2010!

Are you certainly of it?
Who still want to build a S2000+? Nobody I think!
There is only one solution and that is, WRC 2010 become S2000!

ln-ops
16th December 2008, 10:10
Why would he bother??

Just a joke. Since he can't drive for a M1 team next year, I don't think he will go rallying. And without Phil? No chance!!

Rallycross would not be to unlikely tough!!

Brother John
16th December 2008, 10:11
Maybe Cris in a Stobart?

Wake up instead of dreaming further! Be realistic please. :rolleyes:

J.Lindstroem
16th December 2008, 10:13
Are you certainly of it?
Who still want to build a S2000+? Nobody I think!
There is only one solution and that is, WRC 2010 become S2000!

No i'm not certain about it. I'm just guessing, like everybody else here.

karlzoro
16th December 2008, 10:15
Sad news again...

noel157
16th December 2008, 10:22
They where supposed to have one S14 shipped to Norway this week, but now I do not know. Prodrive have promised to fullfill all contracts, so I'm hoping :)

Thanks, hard to know what will happen now but I still hope that Mads will be out in something in 09.

J.Lindstroem
16th December 2008, 10:24
Just a joke. Since he can't drive for a M1 team next year, I don't think he will go rallying. And without Phil? No chance!!

Rallycross would not be to unlikely tough!!

Yeah whats the motivation of driving without subaru wich he has driven for in eight long years and also without his codriver who has been with him in all the ups and downs of his career. I mean his not young anymore so i whould''nt be suprised if he calls it after this season.

Roy
16th December 2008, 10:25
Wake up instead of dreaming further! Be realistic please. :rolleyes:

I am wake up. Only sad...a day before my birthday.
Next news (?): Citroen and Ford pull out both... ?

http://www.nos.nl/nos/artikelen/2008/12/art000001C95F64404F834E.html

Komend seizoen lijken alleen Citroën en Ford een WRC-fabrieksteam op te tuigen, maar ook die merken zouden zich op hun deelname bezinnen. Onlangs besloot Honda vanwege de slechte economische situatie al zijn Formule 1-renstal op te doeken.

paddocknews
16th December 2008, 10:30
can u translate it?

Roy
16th December 2008, 10:33
can u translate it?

google translate:

Coming season seem just a WRC Citroen and Ford factory team to vehicles, but even those marks would reflect on their participation. Honda recently decided because of the bad economic situation though Formula 1 racing stable to canvases.

Micke_VOC
16th December 2008, 10:36
Very sad day )=

Brother John
16th December 2008, 10:38
I am wake up. Only sad...a day before my birthday.
Next news (?): Citroen and Ford pull out both... ?

http://www.nos.nl/nos/artikelen/2008/12/art000001C95F64404F834E.html

Komend seizoen lijken alleen Citroën en Ford een WRC-fabrieksteam op te tuigen, maar ook die merken zouden zich op hun deelname bezinnen. Onlangs besloot Honda vanwege de slechte economische situatie al zijn Formule 1-renstal op te doeken.

Hopelijk bezinnen ze alle twee hun deelname voor 2009!
Ze hadden toch al gedreigd wrc te verlaten!

Sorry for this Dutch guys! :s mokin:

cosmicpanda
16th December 2008, 10:38
Dammit. :(

Thanks again to FIA. You are doing your job perfectly at the moment. Only idiots like you can make rally icon like Subaru to retire from the sport! :mad:

so the FIA is in charge of the economy now?

AndyRAC
16th December 2008, 10:42
I was told by someone at Rally GB, that Phil (Mills) has had enough for now, and Petter won't do it without him......so I think he will retire.

Well I've heard another rumour about them - involves Historics. ;)

Brother John
16th December 2008, 10:43
so the FIA is in charge of the economy now?

Yes they are responsible for economy in wrc! :s mokin:

Halvis
16th December 2008, 10:47
Yeah whats the motivation of driving without subaru wich he has driven for in eight long years and also without his codriver who has been with him in all the ups and downs of his career. I mean his not young anymore so i whould''nt be suprised if he calls it after this season.

If Phil quits it will certainly require something new for Petter, but I wouldn't rule him out that quickly. I'm pretty sure Petter is damn motivated to show everyone that the reason for the couple of last sesons poor results is NOT because of him, but the car! I guess he needs a sponsor though, don't think anyone would use 3 mill Euros of own money just to prove a point...

Halvis
16th December 2008, 10:49
Well I've heard another rumour about them - involves Historics. ;)

Please fill in the rumour for us also...?

RicKT
16th December 2008, 10:57
you must be joking, where did you hear that?

Sadly not... as we now know....

Will be intresting to see what comes of WRC now....

Rick

ln-ops
16th December 2008, 10:59
Yes they are responsible for economy in wrc! :s mokin:

And they have done nothing wrong, only a bit to late. S2000(+) should have been implemented at least two years ago.

Brother John
16th December 2008, 11:11
And they have done nothing wrong, only a bit to late. S2000(+) should have been implemented at least two years ago.
but F.I.A. done also nothing good? :p :
S2000(+) would be a crap car, don´t you see that nobody wants to build that turbo shop carrier? :s mokin:

pino
16th December 2008, 11:33
Please let's continue this Here (http://www.motorsportforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130854)