PDA

View Full Version : Peugeot-Citroen state an interest in Honda F1 team with Bourdais and Button as drivers

Giuseppe F1
15th December 2008, 12:18
Stranger things have happened..............

http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/081215090422.shtml

French carmaker eyes Honda F1 team
Citroen / Peugeot linked to Brackley squad
15/12/08 09:04

PSA to take over the Honda F1 team?
The French manufacturer PSA, selling cars under the names Peugeot and Citroen, has reportedly expressed interest in buying Honda's beleaguered Formula One team.

Anonymous sources apparently told the Belgian motor racing magazine Autosportnieuws that the carmaker, last involved in F1 as an engine supplier with the now-defunct Prost team, has made enquiries to buy the Brackley based team as an active F1 competitor.

Citroen's world rally team is the reigning drivers' and constructors' champion, and Peugeot is involved in Le Mans racing.

It is suggested that, given F1's willingness to vastly reduce operating costs, PSA is interested in stepping because it has not been hit as hard by the world economic crisis than some of its peers abroad.

The French government is also pledging financial support to the car sector, in return for Renault and Peugeot-Citroen promising to limit job cuts and plant closures.

It is suggested that Sebastien Bourdais, the French F1 driver whose Toro Rosso seat is in doubt for 2009, would be part of a PSA buyout, with Jenson Button as his team-mate.

Source: GMM
© CAPSIS International

ArrowsFA1
15th December 2008, 12:57
Anonymous sources apparently told the Belgian motor racing magazine Autosportnieuws that the carmaker...has made enquiries...
Mmmmm...let's wait and see... :dozey:

ShiftingGears
15th December 2008, 13:27
Loeb to seriously consider driving in F1 next year?!

Well, it's based on the same amount of solid evidence.

PolePosition_1
15th December 2008, 16:38
I would absolutely love it if this happened!!

MrJan
15th December 2008, 16:56
Stranger things have happened............

When? ;) :p : :D

goodf1fun
15th December 2008, 18:00
CALL OLIVIER PANIS AND PROST FOR BOSS :p

Nikki Katz
15th December 2008, 18:24
I'd just love for there to be a replacement team for Honda. Button and Bourdais sounds like a good lineup, but I'm not really thrilled at it being another manufacturer for the same reasons as I've not really been thrilled when privateer teams have sold out before - the manufacturers could pull funding at any minute, like Honda have done.

And Peugeot made a bit of a mess of Ligier before...

cy bais
15th December 2008, 18:39
I would absolutely love it if this happened!!

Me too. However, I sense the Ross Brawn & Ferrari engines (Force India's surplus) connection too strong to ignore.

jens
15th December 2008, 18:45
When Peugeot left F1 in 2000, didn't they say something like "we will never come back!" :p :

Anyway, I'm a bit sceptical that in current economic climate a car manufacturer would really consider joining F1. Also I guess they would race with Cosworth engines from 2010 on as surely they won't start constructing their own engine. Do they really want this?

Anyway, days are passing and there is serious lack of news about Honda's future besides some very foggy rumours. At the same time the deadline (Christmas/new year or whatever it was) is closing rapidly. Will anyone buy Honda at all or not?

ioan
15th December 2008, 20:53
Maybe they just want to get their hands on up to date F1 chassis data to use in their Le Mans prototype and than say bye!

Hawkmoon
15th December 2008, 21:17
So we are looking at a Peugeot/Citroen-Cosworth? Talk about mixed messages!

I'll believe it when I see though. Aren't we about due for some mysterious Middle Eastern consortium to show interest. They always do when these type of things occur.

Brown, Jon Brow
15th December 2008, 22:18
Maybe they just want to get their hands on up to date F1 chassis data to use in their Le Mans prototype and than say bye!

The 908 is probably a better chassis than the Honda already :p

F1boat
16th December 2008, 06:56

Aye!

Mark
16th December 2008, 07:47
They probably wouldn't be keen to base the team in the UK. They would have to be in France.

leopard
16th December 2008, 08:05
It is unlikely that general sales of PSA is achieving revenue much better than Honda. Unless proposal about standardizing expenses is properly done, it is difficult to make new participants interested in investing teams of F1.

ioan
16th December 2008, 08:06

I don't think so.

raikk
16th December 2008, 08:27
I would like if this happened...

jens
16th December 2008, 10:25
http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/081216081549.shtml

I don't know, how did these rumours arise, but they have been denied... which sounds only logical from a car manufacturer's perspective at the moment.

Anyway, days are passing and still no news about Honda - it seems increasingly likely we will be left with 9 teams for 2009...

Dave B
16th December 2008, 11:25
They probably wouldn't be keen to base the team in the UK. They would have to be in France.

For marketing reasons, yes, but there's already an established facility and workforce in Brackley. They'd be mad to start from scratch elsewhere, at least initially.

Robinho
16th December 2008, 12:33
Prodrive seem to have a large whole in their operation now given that Subaru have quit WRC, so still seem to me the obvious choice, althoughi did read the Abu Dhabi guys are looking to sell 10-20% of their stake in Aston Martin to raise funds, so perhaps the backers are not a cash rich as we'd have thought

Tallgeese
16th December 2008, 20:59
http://www.crash.net/motorsport/f1/news/172742-0/peugeot_honda_f1_rumours_are_totally_false.html

False rumours....

Azumanga Davo
17th December 2008, 06:53
Maybe Daniel's lack of approval here put them off? :D

leopard
17th December 2008, 07:50
http://www.crash.net/motorsport/f1/news/172742-0/peugeot_honda_f1_rumours_are_totally_false.html

False rumours....
yeah, see also post #15. ;)

leopard
17th December 2008, 09:11
Perhaps I look at it this way, every manufacturer including PSA have the same opinion that F1 is always a temptation, will give them enormous confidence whenever they have opportunity to take part in the competition. Looking at withdrawal of Honda F1 racing and is now in a free position to whoever can take over the ownership PSA has asserted their interest.

But considering their current position is not up to the level enable them involved in the competition, they can only keep their interest without further statement to make people assured with it. imo.

Tallgeese
17th December 2008, 20:48
Wish I could buy it! :( :D if so I'd give Bourdais a test drive & make him a TD. I'd also keep Button & Barichello, but would set myself on a Cosworth power-plant unless Honda provides a better offer. I wonder on KERS development at Honda though?

MrJan
17th December 2008, 21:31
Maybe Daniel's lack of approval here put them off? :D

Since when has anyone listened to Daniel ;) :p : :D

Azumanga Davo
18th December 2008, 04:31
Since when has anyone listened to Daniel ;) :p : :D

Only human, we all make mistakes... ;)

Tom206wrc
21st December 2008, 13:25
Good this has been denied by PSA, because to me Citroën has a better place in rally(or even rally-raid)and Peugeot in endurance(and rally too)... :)

Tallgeese
21st December 2008, 16:00
Wish I could buy Honda, but I'd have my own line of cars. :D

Azumanga Davo
22nd December 2008, 04:33
Well, technically their goose is already cooked. Does that count..? ;)

PolePosition_1
22nd December 2008, 09:59
Good this has been denied by PSA, because to me Citroën has a better place in rally(or even rally-raid)and Peugeot in endurance(and rally too)... :)

Though you have to question the marketing advantage of being a manufacturer in the WRC. Theres only Citroen and Ford left now yes?

WRC, unfortunately seems to be a sinking ship.

Tom206wrc
31st December 2008, 16:01
Even if Peugeot won't come back in F1 soon, looks like they will help FERRARI to develop and test their hybrid KERS system :eek: :eek:

http://www.mulsannescorner.com/newsnov08.html

ioan
2nd January 2009, 12:25
LdM will have to be forever thankful to a certain Jean Todt.

Valve Bounce
2nd January 2009, 12:33
LdM will have to be forever thankful to a certain Jean Todt.

Really? Was the pizza lunch that good?