PDA

View Full Version : Walker coming back with more competition for Danica?

MDS
13th December 2008, 03:37
No one has said much, but Derrick Walker found some investors and has signed a developmental deal with Michele Bumgarner, a Philippino teenager with a pretty strong karting background and is arguably better looking than Danica and Sara.

Here's the statement Derrick put up on his website:

As we previously released, Walker Racing has formed a new business relationship with two gentlemen called Charlie Patterson and Peter Olach. The duo are the principles behind a company called NexGen MTD., with offices in Indianapolis and Hickory, North Carolina. The objective of the program is to raise sufficient sponsorship funds to establish a new program that is targeted to support young and up-and-coming drivers seeking to grow their careersɩn open-wheel racing in North America.

There is little doubt that the NexGen MTD. and Walker Racing relationship has its work cut out for it in these tough economic times, but the interest and progress that has been made thus far is very encouraging. Our first program is to compete in the Firestone Indy Lights Series with a long term program for a nineteen year old Philippine girl, Michele Bumgarner (pictured is Michele visiting us last week).ˊThere will be more on this program and hopefully more in the coming months when the deals get done.ȠOn a cautiously optimistic note, we will sign off for now.

I've done some checking and I don't know anything about NexGen MTD. I have some friends in Hickory, and they've not heard of them, there isn't a website and I have no idea what they do, so the whole thing might be a vapor deal, or it could be some rich guys who have a toy company and want to play in racing.

While this is a good thing, I think it safely rules out Derrick running anything more than a few one-offs in the ICS in 2009.

http://www.michelebumgarnerracing.com/

NickFalzone
13th December 2008, 03:45
I still don't get what the holdup is on getting Tracy in at least a part-season ride. Or maybe he just won't go for that.

In other news, Marco finally signed with AGR for 2009. Press release doesn't say anything about his contract going beyond that.

http://www.indycar.com/news/?story_id=12915

beachbum
13th December 2008, 12:00
No one has said much, but Derrick Walker found some investors and has signed a developmental deal with Michele Bumgarner, a Philippino teenager with a pretty strong karting background and is arguably better looking than Danica and Sara.

Here's the statement Derrick put up on his website:

I've done some checking and I don't know anything about NexGen MTD. I have some friends in Hickory, and they've not heard of them, there isn't a website and I have no idea what they do, so the whole thing might be a vapor deal, or it could be some rich guys who have a toy company and want to play in racing.

While this is a good thing, I think it safely rules out Derrick running anything more than a few one-offs in the ICS in 2009.

http://www.michelebumgarnerracing.com/Check for Nex-Gen Motorsports. It is basically a PR firm working as a driver search and placement group for young drivers. It isn't a sponsor, but looks for sponsors for young drivers. Apparently, they represent a whole range of young talent, not just Bumgarner.

Mark in Oshawa
17th December 2008, 16:27
I still don't get what the holdup is on getting Tracy in at least a part-season ride. Or maybe he just won't go for that.

In other news, Marco finally signed with AGR for 2009. Press release doesn't say anything about his contract going beyond that.

http://www.indycar.com/news/?story_id=12915

Tracy wants a full season. An Ex Champion and draw shouldn't have to go begging for a full time ride. He isn't what he used to be, but he isn't a has been either. His drive in Edmonton says volumes about how he still has the chops.

AS for this Bumgarner girl....may she have more talent than some of the women who get rides in Indycar.