PDA

View Full Version : Honda pulls out of AMA Superbike

Chamoo
13th December 2008, 03:34
I don't think Honda will leave the IRL at all, but I feel this is still an important element regarding the IRL. I think anything that happens regarding any Honda Racing, especially Honda America, is noteworthy for the IRL.

http://moto-racing.speedtv.com/article/ama-sbk-american-honda-withdraws-from-ama-road-racing/

call_me_andrew
14th December 2008, 06:19
I'm pretty sure Honda's motorcycle and small engine program aren't very closely tied to their cars.

Plus I think USSB has something to do with it.

Bob Riebe
14th December 2008, 06:52
I'm pretty sure Honda's motorcycle and small engine program aren't very closely tied to their cars.

Plus I think USSB has something to do with it.HONDA, Japan, which is the ONLY true Honda, rules with an iron fist; there is not disconnect in any form as far as Honda goes.

Chamoo
14th December 2008, 18:23
HONDA, Japan, which is the ONLY true Honda, rules with an iron fist; there is not disconnect in any form as far as Honda goes.

Well, it seems the American Honda R&D is the one paying for ICS.

beachbum
15th December 2008, 13:27
I was involved in AMA Superbike some years ago when Honda moved from supporting privateer teams to a "factory" effort. It was only an American Honda program and they had to buy equipment from Honda of Japan. Sometimes, they could not even get the "good stuff" from the World Superbike program.

Factory involvement in Superbike has always been interesting with the factory teams often more "semi-factory" since they were private teams with factory support. The epitome is Yoshimura, who has been the Suzuki factory team for a long time, but is not owned by Suzuki.

Some have argued that some new homologation restrictions are a reason the factories are leaving. That is a poor excuse as the factory support in the most restricted classes like the supersport classes has always been as high or higher than in the more open Superbike. These kinds of restrictions have been around for almost 20 years in one form or another.

American Honda has often suggested they would pull out for one reason or another, so this isn't a huge shock. They have indicated they will continue to support "private" teams like Erion. In the past, Erion was considered similar to Yoshimura with a lot of factory support and help. That makes sense to Honda as they get the marketing benefits if Erion wins, and little downside if they don't.