PDA

View Full Version : Quiet engines

seppefan
12th December 2008, 12:22
Now that is going to add to the spectacle....

NickFalzone
12th December 2008, 19:02
You'll never please all the people all the time. Many fans have complained about the shrill pitch for years, now they fix it and some will complain that it's too quiet. If they sound more like turbos, then I'm all for it.

garyshell
12th December 2008, 19:07
Now that is going to add to the spectacle....

I think it very well could. As a former audio engineer, I can readily say that taking off 9db of the high end rather shrill sound of the engines could leave us with a pleasurable throaty sound. Volume for volume's sake is not a good thing. Witness the audio compression wars that has gone on in CD mastering over the past years, culminating in the release and subsequent backlash of the latest Metallica cd.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness_war

And

http://blog.wired.com/music/2008/09/does-metallicas.html

Bottom line: give me a nice throaty sound at a lower volume a over high volume high frequency sound any day.

Gary

gofastandwynn
12th December 2008, 19:52
If it's too loud, you're too old.

Go to a NHRA national event. Not that is loud...

garyshell
12th December 2008, 19:58
If it's too loud, you're too old.

Go to a NHRA national event. Not that is loud...

Loud yes, but at what frequencies? It is deep and throaty. I like loud. But I want the loud to hit me in the chest, not make my ears bleed.

Gary

raybak
13th December 2008, 12:21
We had a local resident complaining about the noise levels from our Hillclimb track. Even had the EPA out there testing the noise when we had a race meeting on. Was just above ambient noise that they measured.

We sorted him out though. Every time we run an event we have to put an ad in the local paper to say that we are running the event so the locals will know. We ran an ad for an event, didn't actually run the event and we still got a complaint about the noise.

Suffice to say, that resident doesn't complain anymore :)

Ray

call_me_andrew
14th December 2008, 06:16
Bottom line: give me a nice throaty sound at a lower volume a over high volume high frequency sound any day.

I think the best question to ask would be, "Should an IndyCar sound like a stock car, a Formula One car, or Chewbacca?"

Bob Riebe
14th December 2008, 06:48
Race tracks all over the country are having to live with mandated (and enforced) sound limitations. SCCA has had a limit of 103db at every club race for years now. They even have a worker specialty for Sound Control. Trust me, it's still plenty loud enough. Many tracks have had to close because of either not meeting those limits or, worse, having the new neighbors who just bought those homes down the road close them because of the unwanted noise. (Forget the fact that the track was there for 30 years and the development was just built.) Noise and other environmental restrictions are here to stay. Best to have a strategy to live within those constraints.Hear that folks, if some pissant loudmouth complains and says crap-- you must drop your pants and sqaut, or else!

cobre
19th December 2008, 19:22
Bring back the turbines? were'nt they chocked out for being too quiet?

Mark in Oshawa
21st December 2008, 02:51
Bring back the turbines? were'nt they chocked out for being too quiet?

No, they were kicked out because they were not piston powered and Pratt and Whitney didn't have any skin in the game where as Ford, Offenhauser and any other car makers DID.

As for the noise now of the cars, I don't mind the sound and I suspect the db's of sound they put out isn't going to mean they really have to change the sound much, just tune it down. The cars may even sound better.

call_me_andrew
22nd December 2008, 05:16
In this video you can hear what the new silencer sounds like.

http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid1494874923?bclid=1612710405&bctid=4951623001

Better or worse?

Mark in Oshawa
24th December 2008, 17:36
It sounds like the car without it save a few decibels. A good move I would say.

call_me_andrew
28th December 2008, 06:11
A better comparison video.

http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid1439819601?bclid=1460782805&bctid=5835559001