PDA

View Full Version : Cost cutting plan agreed

Mark
11th December 2008, 12:37
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/7774277.stm

Key here is that although a standard engine will be available. Teams are able to make their own 'to the same specification', if they wish.

MrJan
11th December 2008, 13:09
Sounds reasonable. There is no doubt that spending needs to be reduced but this should allow for some wiggle room in the creativity stakes. PLus if all the teams agreed to it then one would assume that they also see it as the way forward :)

Brown, Jon Brow
11th December 2008, 13:22
Lets hope that the Cosworth engine is more reliable than their 2006 unit

Mark
11th December 2008, 13:28
I broadly support what they have done here. A standard engine would have indeed killed F1 as we know it. But what they've basically done is come up with a specification which engine manufacturers can put their own interpretation upon, and those who don't want to do that can get the standard Cosworth supply.

Hopefully this will be a big help to non-manufacturer teams like Red Bull, Williams etc, and eventually we may well get more private entries back into F1 if they don't have to worry so much about being partnered with an engine manufacturer.

IMO as long as the cars are still fast and the teams are able to build their own, then it is still F1.

PolePosition_1
11th December 2008, 13:31
All looks good to me, and dare I say, I think its a positive which has come out of the exit Honda.

I suspect that such an agreement may not have come out had Honda not plugged the plug on their operations.

Valve Bounce
11th December 2008, 21:59
All looks good to me, and dare I say, I think its a positive which has come out of the exit Honda.

I suspect that such an agreement may not have come out had Honda not plugged the plug on their operations.

I don't think Honda plugged the plug - I think they pulled it. :rotflmao:

Jag_Warrior
13th December 2008, 18:28
I have very mixed feelings about where things seem to be headed. With the current economic crisis, I understand and accept that costs had to be cut to ensure the survival of the sport. And limiting engine development is one way of doing that. Just as was limiting engine variety, before this. But different people watch Formula One for different reasons. And many of us watch for a variety of reasons: favorite teams, drivers, marques, tracks, technology and gadgets, etc.

I've noticed that while the racing seems not to have suffered at all recently, some of the other factors that first attracted me to the sport are going away. But that's happened with all forms of motorsport that I've followed over the years. IMO, the gee whiz! factor has been diminished.

So I'll watch for the racing. But other than whatever KERS provides, the idea of standard 2.4 liter V8's does nothing for me. But until F1's most popular driver is someone who has won but one race in 10 years or so, I guess it's not all bad.