PDA

View Full Version : Will Ferrari Bail

Roamy
10th December 2008, 15:40
I expect Ferrari to leave F1 if a standard non Ferrari engine is installed in the series. What say you

Andrewmcm
10th December 2008, 15:58
They've threatened to do it before; I'm sure everyone has seen the pictures of the Ferrari Indycar from the mid 1980s.

Having said that I do think Ferrari are the lynch-pin of F1 and if they were to leave it would be a hammerblow to the series. Mind you the "standard engine" isn't a common engine in the sense that everyone gets an engine manufactured by the same person - Ferrari could still build their engine themselves (and indeed sell it to other teams), albeit to a stringent set of guidelines.

Bagwan
10th December 2008, 16:22
I expect Ferrari to leave F1 if a standard non Ferrari engine is installed in the series. What say you

They would , indeed , but it will never happen , for that reason .

They will never put a Cosworth in a Ferrari .

The engine freeze , as we saw , much to Flavio's chagrin , was no freeze at all , with gains made under the guise of reliability pushing some forward in horsepower .
Standardizing power ceases competition , and the pride of the prancing horse has long been "what's under the hood" .

If the rumours are true , FOTA are set to announce that they will all make available a 1.8 turbo for a set rate .
That sounds more like it .
If Cosworth , or anyone else wants in on the deal , then so be it .
As long as the price tag isn't too ugly , it could work .

There's a class of racing around here that has , at it's central point , a stipulation that the track owner , if you start running away with all the races , can buy your car for $500.00 .
It keeps people honest , or poor , if you toss more than that at the car .

There's got to be some version of that we can apply to F1 .

trumperZ06
10th December 2008, 18:12

;) Probably true without a Ferrari engine... is it really a

FERRARI ?

:dozey: That said, over the past decade or so...

Bernie & Max, coniving together, have made sure that Ferrari remained at the front of the grid.

Why would F-1 change their M O now ?

Expect Ferrari to have their own engine...

what the other teams do, doesn't really matter from Bernie & Max's viewpoint.

In their mind, Ferrari is the KEYSTONE in Formula One.

CNR
10th December 2008, 23:23
Some thing to think about would f1 still be around
how long would it take to set up Grand Prix World Championship

Ferrari have agreed to extend Formula One's Concorde Agreement until 2012, effectively ending the threat by the sport's major manufacturers to set up a rival competition.

The announcement means that Ferrari, the richest team in F1, have broken ranks with their partners in the Grand Prix World Championship (GPWC), which they set up with Mercedes, BMW and Renault to campaign for a greater share of the sport's revenues.

Hawkmoon
10th December 2008, 23:48
Some thing to think about would f1 still be around
how long would it take to set up Grand Prix World Championship

That's an old quote and the GPWC was a laughable joke from it's inception, through it's brief life and at it's inevitable death.

Ferrari may pull out of F1 if the standardising of parts goes too far. However I don't think a standard spec engine, as opposed to everybody running Cosworths, would be enough to get them to leave. The spec engine would still be a Ferrari even if it wasn't allowed to be developed the way they wanted it to. That'll probably be enough to keep Maranello reasonably happy.

Besides, Montezemolo heads up FOTA and they're apparently happy with their discussions with the FIA and are going to make an announcement Friday. If Ferrari were looking to leave I doubt we'd be hearing nice things from ol' Luca at this point.

Roamy
11th December 2008, 08:11
Besides, Montezemolo heads up FOTA and they're apparently happy with their discussions with the FIA and are going to make an announcement Friday. If Ferrari were looking to leave I doubt we'd be hearing nice things from ol' Luca at this point.

who said the announcement was going to be nice??

Knock-on
11th December 2008, 08:33
who said the announcement was going to be nice??

Well, it sounds very rosy.

Although no details of what was agreed have been released, the FIA and FOTA issued a joint statement saying that the gathering had been the 'most successful meeting on Formula One matters which any of the participants can remember.'

FOTA President Luca di Montezemolo added: "The unity of the teams was fundamental to meeting the goals for a new Formula One, but with the same DNA, as requested by the FIA."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/72427

markabilly
11th December 2008, 14:17
Strange how things are never as they seem....Bernie ain't running off Ferrari right now, not just yet anyway

So whatever happens, Ferrari is not fussing, so while the old man would never ever have let such happen, who is to say the same about luca who is just another corporate type, who would sell grandma if he thought it would make him some money