PDA

View Full Version : New WRC-2 Class - Think Tank !

Sulland
7th December 2008, 11:41
Many people are looking for a way ahead for the level below WRC, to replace the current PWRC and JWRC formulas.

I have seep proposals to make a WRC2 type of class, ala GP2 and Formula 2.

The following factors has been mentioned;

- One class car, so the driver will get most attention.
- Set price for a season (250 000 Euro has been mentioned.
- Rear wheel drive - to keep the spectacle on top.

In this class the JWRC could be included, only age to decide if you also are competing in JWRC, and a Junior could win both titles.

Does this way of thinking seem something we would like, or do you have a better idea ?

cosmicpanda
7th December 2008, 13:28
Too expensive. I believe that the new F2 championship is going to be about 200,000 Euros per season per car, yes? So WRC2 shouldn't be more than that.

shurik
7th December 2008, 13:31
2WD 2 liter turbo class, ban electric rubbish like ESP, ABS et cetera. Limit the gearbox to H pattern 6 gears maximum.
AND introduce non-manufacturer basic, VO, VK, VF, ES and ET homologations, the only deciding factor has to be an obligatory market availability for certain ammount of time.

Sulland
7th December 2008, 13:55
Cost scheme:
Rent car for all races: 195 000 Sterling or 245 000 Euro. So you do not buy the car but rent it.
http://www.formulatwo.com/cost.aspx

Data monitoring to share info and if needed to avoid cheating:
http://www.formulatwo.com/f2carcardriverperformancemonitoring.aspx

Is this concept with modifications something that could work in Rally as well ?

Daniel
7th December 2008, 15:02
2WD 2 liter turbo class, ban electric rubbish like ESP, ABS et cetera.

You do realise the cars don't have ESP or ABS :)

shurik
7th December 2008, 15:09
You do realise the cars don't have ESP or ABS :)
afaik wrc cars have abs

Daniel
7th December 2008, 15:24
afaik wrc cars have abs
https://www.paddocktalk.com/news/html/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=23710

ABS is banned in the WRC.

shurik
7th December 2008, 15:51
good, now it's time to get rid of paddle shifters and sequential gearboxes :)

Sulland
7th December 2008, 22:15
I think we need to think a bit out of the box here.

If circuit racing can - then the rally world can as well - make a solution that Palmer have tried out for years in junior formula up a notch.

How can we make sure the most talented drivers have a place to show the big boys and sponsors that they can drive ?

Daniel
7th December 2008, 22:16
I think we need to think a bit out of the box here.

If circuit racing can - then the rally world can as well - make a solution that Palmer have tried out for years in junior formula up a notch.

How can we make sure the most talented drivers have a place to show the big boys and sponsors that they can drive ?
I don't know if I agree. Rallying has always been about manufacturers rather than teams unlike open wheel type racing

bowler
8th December 2008, 08:10
afaik wrc cars have abs

none have ABS

Sulland
8th December 2008, 11:51
I don't know if I agree. Rallying has always been about manufacturers rather than teams unlike open wheel type racing

Yes and that will it still be at the top, but for the second echelon it could be more about the drivers.
Many countries have cups where all are using the same car. In Norway we are starting a cup for Subaru N14 based cars. They are not full Gr N spec, but they are all the same.

Something similar could be done by the WRC org or FIA - and to a fixed cost !

Could be a BMW 1 series to get back wheel drive, and it could be Diesel to really do something different :cheese:

urabus-denoS2000
8th December 2008, 20:08
Could be a BMW 1 series to get back wheel drive, and it could be Diesel to really do something different :cheese:

NEVER seen a BMW 1 doing a slide in any form,not even when pulling out of corners

Allyc85
8th December 2008, 21:09
they obviously wern't driving it correctly!

LeonBrooke
9th December 2008, 04:09
I think the idea that what works in circuit racing will work in rallying is rubbish - for example I think the points system used in the WRC is completely inappropriate - I think we need half-points for positions on each leg, for example - but that's a debate for another thread.

I think spec racing works - but spec rallying wouldn't, because of the nature of it. Competitors need to be able to enter any rally they feel like with their car and making it a spec car limits that opportunity.

I this is implemented it needs to be run for (for example) Renault Clio R3s, or Citroen C2R2s, or Group N4 Subarus all of which have to be from a specific builder. Similar to the Ford Fiesta Sporting Trophy, where competitors compete in the Sporting Trophy, and for the N3 class, and all use Ford Fiestas built to N3 spec using identical kits.

As far as I'm aware the idea first came from Pirelli. Perhaps it could just be a special class of the PWRC, for which you sign up at the start of the year, and you have to use a particular type of tyre.

Tomi
9th December 2008, 05:32
Whats wrong with the current GrN cars, they are quite even, and after comming changes in the weight and brakes even more spectacular.

RS
9th December 2008, 05:49
I thought the Grp N cars were getting heavier next year?

Granted Aigner and Hanninen were both pretty good this year, but pWRC generally hasn't been a hotbed of talent has it?

LeonBrooke
9th December 2008, 06:11
I don't even know who the drivers have been in the pWRC this year... but it's not really on the career path to the WRC... I think Group N is pretty cool - I enjoy watching the New Zealand national championship coverage when I get the chance. And I like that Group N is production-based - actually similar to road cars, unlike the WRCars and S2000... my favourite current class is Group N4, and I'm sure I'd like Group R, if I'd seen any.

Tomi
9th December 2008, 09:29
I thought the Grp N cars were getting heavier next year?

Granted Aigner and Hanninen were both pretty good this year, but pWRC generally hasn't been a hotbed of talent has it?

Ahaa sorry i tought this was about from 2010 when the S2000 kit cars, takes over in WRC.

Sulland
17th September 2012, 07:21
I saw a thread on Wrc2 during the weekend, but cant find it now. So pick up an old one.

This class could be a crowd winner if done right, and a place for hot new drivers to show potential.
What do FIA need to do to make sure the new WRC-2 series turn into a winner?

Prisoner Monkeys
17th September 2012, 07:52
1) Encourage manufacturers to provide cars for drivers. Maybe even style them as a "junior" team. WRC2 drivers shouldn't have to do it on their own dime.

2) Make sure the category gets air time.