PDA

View Full Version : Next week tests @ Homestead

ChampUSfan
7th December 2008, 09:15
AGR & Ganassi Racing are going to test next week @ Homestead.

Does anybody know if other teams are going to be a part of this tests ?

MDS
7th December 2008, 14:41
Per Calvin: http://blogs.indystar.com/racingexpert/2008/12/dec_4_on_agr_and_the_unsers.html

Question: Which teams are participating in the Firestone tire test at Homestead next Tuesday? (Steve, Fishers, Ind.)
Answer: This response comes directly from Barnhart: "I think Ganassi and AGR are the test teams, and we have Vision, Foyt, Conquest and HVM as invited league add-ons. There may be a couple others, but I am not near my desk."

Supposedly Doornbos will be in a second car for HVM although I don't believe an official announcement is scheduled.

SarahFan
7th December 2008, 16:12

http://www.indycar.com/

to answer your question...I have no idea

and with apologies to starter as my next response isn't going to be positive.... but make no mistake it's legitimate...

how is it if there is indeed going to be testing there is no information on the IRL website?

anthonyvop
8th December 2008, 04:45
http://www.indycar.com/

to answer your question...I have no idea

and with apologies to starter as my next response isn't going to be positive.... but make no mistake it's legitimate...

how is it if there is indeed going to be testing there is no information on the IRL website?

Private test!

ChampUSfan
8th December 2008, 06:09
thanks

SarahFan
8th December 2008, 16:32
Private test!

why when one of the goals of the IRL is to make racing affordable are big budget teams allowed to do private testing....

NickFalzone
8th December 2008, 17:12
Barnhardt has said on several occasions that these tests are not "open" tests. Specific teams are invited by the IRL and Firestone, for one reason or another. They are not about showing off to the public, they're about testing new tire compounds. And they do their best to balance out the tests across the teams. The glass is always half-empty, isn't it Ken?

carracing
8th December 2008, 19:45
I would love to see more news/information on the IRL site - I drown in the sheer volume of info at the NASCAR site, but the folks at IRL seem to like to keep info to themselves or something - lol It's bad enough that it's hard to catch a race on TV anymore or see any Indy news without it being about Danica... maybe they need a new webmaster or a new policy on news.

:confused:

SarahFan
9th December 2008, 15:14
Barnhardt has said on several occasions that these tests are not "open" tests. Specific teams are invited by the IRL and Firestone, for one reason or another. They are not about showing off to the public, they're about testing new tire compounds. And they do their best to balance out the tests across the teams. The glass is always half-empty, isn't it Ken?

1/2 empty?

this is a league that his ben on a decade long search for a title sponsor and even die hard fans get zero zip nada in the way of off season news......

if it's 1/2 empty it's 1/2 empty..... but don't project that onto me

fugariracing
9th December 2008, 18:14
^I would agree. There's usually a lack of news in the off-season anyway and that leaves it to the blogosphere to update on any new info. The series should be doing everything it can to publicize things on their website.

Granted, the series puts out its weekly news and notes every Tues or Wed, but those are more fluff pieces of news and not related to on-track activities.

The instant classic
9th December 2008, 20:04
kind of shocked to see a test going on, after i heard indycar is going out of business in or 2012 or 2013, after tony said himself, if we dont become profitable befor then, we need to end the indycar racing,

right now i wolud be thinking of saving money and not testing, cuz maybe im just thinking nascar here guys, but didnt they say, all racing was cutting back in testing? or was that just nascar?

but on a sidenote, very much agree with you guys, on not much news, in the off season,most fans, keep all the info to themselfs, i guess cuz not many fans get a long :D

The instant classic
9th December 2008, 20:12
forgot to post, private test or not, i wolud try Homestead. website, come testing day, or indy500.com they could post video or T&S
i got my own website, and im trying to get the video feed from Homestead. i know they wolud have cams there, but if yr like me, and know where to look, video and T&S is pretty easy to find,

anthonyvop
9th December 2008, 20:43
One of the reasons for a private test is to test in PRIVATE.

ykiki
9th December 2008, 20:49
Just wondering on a question posed by The IRL fan pertaining to the costs associated with testing.

In the case of a tire test (if that is what this is), would the testing day(s) be paid by Bridgestone/Firestone, with little or no expense to IndyCar or the teams involved?

The instant classic
9th December 2008, 21:12
Just wondering on a question posed by The IRL fan pertaining to the costs associated with testing.

In the case of a tire test (if that is what this is), would the testing day(s) be paid by Bridgestone/Firestone, with little or no expense to IndyCar or the teams involved?
i wolud think for a tire test, firestone wolud pay, only

for a team test, just to get the car ready for next year, i think the team pays, only

and for new cars, or new anything, i wolud think indycar pays for the test, only,

but i dont know? im just guessing how testing works,

MDS
10th December 2008, 00:10

I'm not sure how it is working today, but based on how it was when I was with a team; the "official" teams most of Ganassi and AGR's expenses are going to be paid by Firestone, how much I'm not sure, but probably fuel and transport costs and of course tires.

As far as the "Invited teams" they probably get little or nothing. I'd think they'd get discounted tires if they're testing the new compounds, but that might not be the case.

anthonyvop
10th December 2008, 03:36
i wolud think for a tire test, firestone wolud pay, only

for a team test, just to get the car ready for next year, i think the team pays, only

and for new cars, or new anything, i wolud think indycar pays for the test, only,

but i dont know? im just guessing how testing works,

It is simple.

if it is a "Private" test then whoever is testing pays. If a team wants to hold a private test of either a new or old car or evaluate a driver or just test for setup and experimentation then it is the Team that pays.

MDS
10th December 2008, 04:08
It is simple.

if it is a "Private" test then whoever is testing pays. If a team wants to hold a private test of either a new or old car or evaluate a driver or just test for setup and experimentation then it is the Team that pays.

That's not always the case. Certain drivers have paid teams for a "Private test." It happens a lot in the Atlantics and Lights. A lot of drivers have paid for tests as a way to start their career/get a team to evaluate them.

Gluaistean
10th December 2008, 13:48
Per Calvin: http://blogs.indystar.com/racingexpert/2008/12/dec_4_on_agr_and_the_unsers.html

Supposedly Doornbos will be in a second car for HVM although I don't believe an official announcement is scheduled.

MDS, I read somewhere recently that TRUST is going to an F1 team and there may not be money left for Doornbos. The reason given was lack of international TV exposure and no ROI. I'll try to find it for you if I can.

MDS
10th December 2008, 21:42
MDS, I read somewhere recently that TRUST is going to an F1 team and there may not be money left for Doornbos. The reason given was lack of international TV exposure and no ROI. I'll try to find it for you if I can.

I too have heard that Doornbos has only minor backing from Trust, but thats supposed to be because ING is behind him. The latest rumor I heard is Doornbos has Primary sponsorship for the IRL from ING with associate level backing from Red Bull Netherlands, and Trust. The package as a whole would be in the $5 to $10 million range. He's upgraded his management this year to GR8 Industries, and those guys are probably the best talent/marketing firm in Europe.

As far as ROI, remeber the Euro/Dollar exchange rate with right now is about .75 Euro equals an Dollar, so for ING to put up 5 million dollars it only has to put up 4 million Euros. They get ROI by exposure to the American market, where they have a strong presence, and can cash in on Doornbos' popularity in the Netherlands.

I'm almost certain what I'm hearing is accurate, and if nothing else it seems like Doorbos really wants to be in the IRL. I found this on a Dutch news site:

Formula 1 is no longer my priority, although I continue watch for opportunties naturally. However, it is most important now that I become successfulat the highest feasable level, and for now that is the IRL.

I'm about 90 percent certain that an ING backed deal will be announced before St. Pete.

gofastandwynn
10th December 2008, 23:35

AGR & Ganassi will be doing tire testing for Firestone.

Vision, Foyt & Luczo Dragon will be there as well doing private testing.

NickFalzone
17th December 2008, 01:51
Here's a link to the Homestead test last week:

http://link.brightcove.com/services/link/bcpid1494874923/bclid1612710405/bctid4951623001