PDA

View Full Version : Will Honda ever return to F1?

Giuseppe F1
6th December 2008, 18:13
Would really appreciate if one of the moderators here could make this into a poll - many thanks in advance.

So, if the economy eventually starts to settle down, and F1 do dramatically reduce costs, as motorsport, Honda themselves have always admitted, is such a strong part of their DNA, and that Honda Japan have a habit of sending their engineers to work within the F1 department to gain technical expertise to then transfer this back to other divisions of the group......question is.....realistically, does anyone expect Honda to ever be back in F1.......lets say, within the next 10 years?

As with Renault, Honda have had many different chapters/spells in their F1 history so if they ever did come back, having sold a whole Works team, it would be hard to think they would choose to come back, if they ever did as a scale of a full Works operation and I imagine it would more likely be an as engine partner to another team.

So, will we ever see Honda back in F1 within the next 10 years?

Yes or No?

goodf1fun
6th December 2008, 18:31
who cares

ioan
6th December 2008, 18:38
Who knows? Who cares? Will there be F1 in a couple of years?

Nikki Katz
6th December 2008, 18:41
Possibly but not for a while. I've always stated that F1 is too reliant on manufacturers, I'd much rather see more privateer teams as they're less likely to disappear overnight with no warning.

Jag_Warrior
6th December 2008, 21:13
Would really appreciate if one of the moderators here could make this into a poll - many thanks in advance.

So, if the economy eventually starts to settle down, and F1 do dramatically reduce costs, as motorsport, Honda themselves have always admitted, is such a strong part of their DNA, and that Honda Japan have a habit of sending their engineers to work within the F1 department to gain technical expertise to then transfer this back to other divisions of the group......question is.....realistically, does anyone expect Honda to ever be back in F1.......lets say, within the next 10 years?

As with Renault, Honda have had many different chapters/spells in their F1 history so if they ever did come back, having sold a whole Works team, it would be hard to think they would choose to come back, if they ever did as a scale of a full Works operation and I imagine it would more likely be an as engine partner to another team.

So, will we ever see Honda back in F1 within the next 10 years?

Yes or No?

I have an easier time believing that Honda will return to F1 in 10 or so years, than Max or Bernie will be running F1 in 10 or so years.

Most of the global economy will rebound. And IMO, Honda will be just fine. It's hard to say where F1 is going. But if F1 is (still) worth being in, I'd say Honda will be there (return) when the time is right.

trumperZ06
6th December 2008, 21:22
:D Honda has always been interested in RACING !!!

;) I believe that Honda will be back... possibly as an engine supplier..

but it may NOT be in Formula One....

As long as the two Stooges are in control.

Alexamateo
6th December 2008, 21:24
Well Let's see,

They started in 1963, left in 1968, then they started again in 1983, and left in 1992, then they came back in 2000 and are leaving again in 2008.

Yep! They'll be back! :D

Valve Bounce
6th December 2008, 21:35
They will be back in two years. And I can say, without any fear of contradiction that nobody will remember that I said so. :D

Jag_Warrior
6th December 2008, 22:15
:D Honda has always been interested in RACING !!!

;) I believe that Honda will be back... possibly as an engine supplier..

but it may NOT be in Formula One....

As long as the two Stooges are in control.

Well, they've always got the IRL to fall back on. :D

tsarcasm
7th December 2008, 03:07
F1 is rapidly becoming a Spec. Series, there will be no F1 to come back to....

Valve Bounce
7th December 2008, 03:35
F1 is rapidly becoming a Spec. Series, there will be no F1 to come back to....

Well, if that's what it will take to be rid of both Bernie and Max, then I'm all for it.

wedge
7th December 2008, 15:08
Honda will be back

Manufacturers historically come and ago when it pleases them - apart from Ferrari because they do what they know best which is sportcars and racing; the big manufacturers have a far more complex business to run.

Certainly there'll be a different way of operations. Engine supply at the very least.

RWD
7th December 2008, 17:32
I think they will be back, but not as a team. They should have kept there name in F1 and got Mugen back on the scene and give Mugen the 2008 engines to develop instead of cutting all ties with F1.

jens
7th December 2008, 18:49
Ever? Nah, too far-reaching. Have no idea, what will be going on 100 years later. :D

The original post asked about the 10 years. Well, again too difficult to predict. F1 is changing so quickly that it's difficult to guess, what is going on in one year's time, let alone ten. Maybe we will have another series instead of F1 - something like GP1. :p : As has been mentioned above, considering Honda's tendency to make a comeback sooner or later after departure, the possibility is there. Whether it will be as an engine manufacturer or an independent team, is another matter. Likewise the timing.

PolePosition_1
8th December 2008, 14:43
Without a doubt, I think they will be back. Pending on direction of Formula 1, can't say whether it'll be in partnership or full works team. Considering manufacturer pressence, I'd say it'd only be worth going back as a full works. But if independent teams take over as majority teams, it may be worth while them going in as an engine partner.

Mark
9th December 2008, 15:13
They'll be back. I think they need to have a good think about what they are doing. After all do you think they would have pulled out of F1 if they had been challenging for the championship and/or getting race wins? I seriously doubt it.

Downturn or no downturn manufacturers can only throw money at a failing team for so long.

cjent
11th December 2008, 03:57
They won't return if they cannot have their own engine,

RWD
11th December 2008, 14:16
They won't return if they cannot have their own engine,

and who is suggesting they cant have there own engine?

Mark
11th December 2008, 14:32
and who is suggesting they cant have there own engine?

They will. In fact they may return quite soon if the costs are much lower in say 2011-12.

trumperZ06
11th December 2008, 15:43
They will. In fact they may return quite soon if the costs are much lower in say 2011-12.

;) I'm not so sure about the manufacturers supporting Formula One, long term.

:D Their accountants are looking for: Return on Investment !!!

The major justification for supporting F-1 from their veiwpoint is: Advertising !!!

:dozey: Bernie has $$$ PRICED $$$ F-1 out of the North American Market, first the United States Grand Prix, and now Canada.

This being the MAJOR market for Ferrari, Mercedes, BMW, Toyota, Honda, and even Renault with thier partial ownership of Nissan, the manufacturers may re-access their Co$t/Benefit ratio and decide to move on.

Honda may only be the first mfg'r to leave... given the current economic conditions.