PDA

View Full Version : Are two options of control tyre needed for WRC

Livewireshock
6th December 2008, 03:34
Wales Rally GB almost turned to farce because of the control tyre being totally unsuitable for the conditions. The same problem caused stages to be cancelled in Japan too. Is it unreasonable to have a second option available to avoid these embarrassments. It is clear that some other events were run with the tyres not suiting the conditions 100% either.

There is a cost involved and a logistic problem to overcome. Transporting the tyres to an event would be more expensive, up to three times so, because the unused optioned tyre would need to be returned to whereever.

In the past, multiple options of tyres were taken and so technically it would still be a cost saving on the past, just greater than 2008.

The decision as to which tyre to use would still lie with the WRC officials, rather than the drivers, ensuring a level playing field.

bowler
6th December 2008, 06:35
The same problem caused stages to be cancelled in Japan too.

I don't think that the tyre was an issue in Japan, when they cancelled the stages. The issue was the depth of snow on the stage, which made the stage potentially impassable. Snow tyres were never an option as they are not permitted in Japan. There was no smooth base below the snow which was deep enough to block air intakes

Daniel
6th December 2008, 08:21
I don't think that the tyre was an issue in Japan, when they cancelled the stages. The issue was the depth of snow on the stage, which made the stage potentially impassable. Snow tyres were never an option as they are not permitted in Japan. There was no smooth base below the snow which was deep enough to block air intakes
Do you mean studless snow tyres are not allowed? Or just studded ones?

Buzz Lightyear
6th December 2008, 09:37
OK, Japan was a slightly differenent scenario, but it raised the question, and nothing was done about it.

Daniel
6th December 2008, 10:49
Don't count on tomorrow being any different to Friday. Looks to be getting quite cold tonight!

Viking
6th December 2008, 12:06
Ireland 2009:
PZERO WRC 235/40ZR18 Soft or SOTTOZERO SNOW (without studs) 235/40R18

jonkka
6th December 2008, 13:13
Ireland 2009:
PZERO WRC 235/40ZR18 Soft or SOTTOZERO SNOW (without studs) 235/40R18

WRC tyres are that small? :eek: That's a standard size for my Volvo except the 18" rim...

MJW
6th December 2008, 18:34
Simple answer - YES. At least allow cutting, or even gravel crews. Friday was a farce with that option tyre and inflexible rules to allow cuts.

Daniel
6th December 2008, 19:59
Simple answer - YES. At least allow cutting, or even gravel crews. Friday was a farce with that option tyre and inflexible rules to allow cuts.

Looking at how polished the stages were I doubt just cuts would have helped all that much. As others have said normal gravel tyres don't really work that well when you get near to freezing.

Tomi
6th December 2008, 20:05
One could think that it would not be too expensive or difficult to arrange 1 tyre truck with normal studdless rally winter tyres just incase if needed, anyway we are talking only about 2-3 events where those might be needed.

Ghostwalker
7th December 2008, 18:19
i just saw on SVT's Rally review that there will be an "emergency tyre" next year atleast in Ireland.