PDA

View Full Version : Honda

Chris R
4th December 2008, 21:23
While the apparent news of Honda pulling the plug on its F1 team is off topic - I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts as to whether or not this this any effect on the Indy program.

Could it be good because Honda sees better value in the IRL product and will thus invest more in it since it is not sinking money into the F1 sinkhole??

Could it be bad because the F1 debacle is going to make Honda look at all motorsport involvement?

disko
4th December 2008, 23:07
I think your going to see MAJOR reductions in racing support by Chrysler, Ford and GM.

If I have to pay for a bailout (as a taxpayer), I have to say no way and no more to the NASCAR subsidy.

I'm glad that Hondas above water. I think this is the time for the IRL to thrive.

F1 and NASCAR are are in trouble. Then again, everythings in trouble.

Thank you Dick Fuld and you wall street thieves. Its your greed that has caused this great financial mess. Yea, oil to 160. They still hold that target.

Birdman5700
5th December 2008, 11:10
What is the likelihood that Toyota pulls out as well and joins the IRL is 2011?

This part is just wishful thinking, I know they withdrew from the IRL because the Honda's were so much better, but could they use their old engines to join in 2010? or did the IRL change the specs to much since then?

MDS
5th December 2008, 12:57
We all know what will happen if Honda decides on further cutbacks. Lets hope or pray that it doesn't happen.

wedge
5th December 2008, 13:51
While the apparent news of Honda pulling the plug on its F1 team is off topic - I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts as to whether or not this this any effect on the Indy program.

Could it be good because Honda sees better value in the IRL product and will thus invest more in it since it is not sinking money into the F1 sinkhole??

Could it be bad because the F1 debacle is going to make Honda look at all motorsport involvement?

Hopefully the IRL programme will be safe and there's still more manufacturer interest.

The manufacturers have been far too greedy in F1, thinking they can replicate Ferrari. Ferrari knew what's best for them: sportcars and racing and a helping hand from Fiat.

Honda et al should've just supplied engines but they've now raised the bar in terms of cost and destroyed the rules of the game ie. the independent teams and constructors have been the true blood of motorsport.

fan-veteran
5th December 2008, 21:47
I think that Honda should not have any wishes to leave the IRL. In fact they are the only supplier there, which i think is very good for them as a publicity point of view. And anothe point is that the IRL engines are not very expensive, their production is already adopted. So IMO the benefits are good and the expenditures are low :)

Chamoo
5th December 2008, 23:05
If I am correct, Honda has a contract they can't break until 2013? And on top of that, this is American Honda R&D in contract with the IRL, I know that isn't their proper name, but they are a little bit distanced from the parent company.

call_me_andrew
6th December 2008, 04:24
What is the likelihood that Toyota pulls out as well and joins the IRL is 2011?

This part is just wishful thinking, I know they withdrew from the IRL because the Honda's were so much better, but could they use their old engines to join in 2010? or did the IRL change the specs to much since then?

Two chances: slim and none.

Indy is so low on the radar no one can remember it long enough to cut its funding.

DBell
6th December 2008, 16:19
I saw this at an F1 site. Looks like the IRL is safe for now.

http://f1update.com/full_story/view/288056/Honda_to_stay_in_IRL_motorbikes/

I wonder, if Honda had been even remotely competitive in F1, would they still have pulled out? When you spend the most money and are getting waxed by the teams like STR and to a lesser degree Force India, then it's a easier decision to come to.

MDS
6th December 2008, 16:26
On the bright side Honda might offer a parachute to its drivers like Jensen Button and get them a seat in the IRL.

Giuseppe F1
6th December 2008, 17:03
I guess its safe to say Danica Patrick will no longer get her Honda F1 test this Winter now as was planned :)

Chamoo
7th December 2008, 05:33
On the bright side Honda might offer a parachute to its drivers like Jensen Button and get them a seat in the IRL.

It's too bad Honda doesn't run a factory team in the IRL.

Lemmy-Boy
7th December 2008, 11:04

Hahahaha! What type of tree are you smoking? Button is still a very capable driver. I don't think he'll stoop so low to be farmed out the lowly IRL. He's going to stay in F1 for quite a while, whether it's the next iteration of the Honda Team or some other team, like Renault, etc.

MDS
7th December 2008, 14:38
Hahahaha! What type of tree are you smoking? Button is still a very capable driver. I don't think he'll stoop so low to be farmed out the lowly IRL. He's going to stay in F1 for quite a while, whether it's the next iteration of the Honda Team or some other team, like Renault, etc.

I'm just trying to be positive

Jag_Warrior
7th December 2008, 17:41
It's too bad Honda doesn't run a factory team in the IRL.

:D
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0cyUeb89UB3WT/340x.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3036/2664991613_964ab536e9.jpg

Jag_Warrior
7th December 2008, 17:56

I think Honda does see better value in the IRL (and ALMS and most of its other racing activities). But I don't think it's because the IRL has been so great for the company; it's because this F1 experience has been so dismal. I read an estimate that since returning to F1 as an engine supplier, and then as owner of 1 (or 2?) team, Honda has spent just shy of $1 billion on support and sponsorship of its various F1 activities. The IRL provides rather small national exposure (compared to NASCAR) and virtually no global exposure (compared to F1). But what exposure it does get is generally rather positive. It now wins 100% of the races in the IRL and gets guaranteed Indy 500 wins for the next couple of years at least. And even before GM and Toyota left the IRL, Honda did extremely well. But for its $1 billion in F1, the company that powered Prost and Senna to World Driving Championships in the 80's and 90's is now a complete laughing stock.

The Japanese are very sensitive to "saving face" and the concept of being humiliated. For what little Honda spends in the IRL and ALMS, the benefits have been positive. For the huge expenditure in Formula One, the company has been trounced by its main rival, Toyota, and now sets just ahead of a rag-tag outfit like Force India.

But the main thing that is making Honda and every other company look at expenditures is probably the worst global recession since World War II.

Chamoo
7th December 2008, 17:56
Jag_Warrior, I understand what your saying, but I was thinking of a straight up 2 car effort by Honda, perhaps named Honda America Racing or something along those lines. Maybe move Mutoh over and bring in one of their other drivers from Europe who can't land a ride like Pantano or sign up RHR.

Jag_Warrior
7th December 2008, 18:14
I guess its safe to say Danica Patrick will no longer get her Honda F1 test this Winter now as was planned :)

I asked someone here about that a few months ago. Seems like Honda killed that "test" maybe before the IRL season even ended.

Me and Danicafan were so broke up about it, we got together, shared a half gallon of Jack Daniels and sang old Elvis and Johnny Cash songs til about 5 in the morning.

Well, that's OK. I figure if Alonso leaves for Ferrari in 2010 or 2011, Danica is a shoe-in for his #1 driver seat at Renault. Man, that JD Black Label packs a punch!!!