PDA

View Full Version : Sebastian Bourdais

Tallgeese
4th December 2008, 19:24
My personal favourite driver in F1, I think he's been hard-done by the season. He was better adapted to the STR2B & on several occasions was let down by reliability, where the STR3 proved difficult to adapt to. Never-the-less, one at least two occasions he was robbed of points due to steward errors (Japan) or bad luck (Italy) depriving him of much needed points. The freak incident at Spa cost him a potential podium & tussles in China & Brazil also resulted in losses. But the 4-time ChampCar champion has what it takes & with the transition to slicked cars & 'clean' aerodynamic profiles (similar to ChampCar that he dominated) he should regain his form & become a major challenger for 2009.

I'm hoping that STR gives him another well deserved chance!

Nikki Katz
4th December 2008, 20:17
I think that it would really depend on what direction with the car Toro Rosso / Red Bull go. He was quite good in the old car and kept beating Vettel (which actually Liuzzi also did most of the time too when they were in the dry). But since they brought out the new car with only one or two exceptions he's looked at best the number 2 driver and at worst completely lost.
Red Bull seem to be pinning a lot of hopes on Vettel, so I imagine that they'd continue along the same lines with the car.
I'm pretty certain that Buemi will take Vettel's seat, which as a shame as while he's been a front-runner in GP2, he wasn't a championship contender and there are probably better drivers out there at the moment. The second seat will probably go to Sato, with Bourdais and Barrichello as outside shots.

keysersoze
4th December 2008, 20:18
No way that Sato is better, and I think Takumo is a good driver! But he has had ample opportunity to prove his capability, and I feel safe to ay he will never be an F1 winner.

Bourdais knows how to win races, and he's shown reasonably well against Vettel, who would be a WDC contender if he were in a top 4 team. I think we have yet to see the best that Bourdais can offer.

Tallgeese
4th December 2008, 21:22
I suspect that his relationship at STR isn't all that smooth. Personally I'd rather Renault have taken him in to team up with Alonso, but for 2009 with no clear drive I presume that he may be looking at Honda or so. Currently STR & Honda are undecided with four seats for grabs & at least six serious candidates so I think he stands a good chance. Curiously I'd like to see how he does in slicks.

If his ChampCar record is anything to go by, (where they all used identical chassis & drivetrains) then I presume that he'd be able to defeat drivers in superior cars. If the STR4 with slicks & without TC (as in ChampCar) but 300kg lighter then he'd stand a decent chance with the new regulations that no doubt be a potent force.

Montoya (a ChampCar/IRL graduate) found difficulty with grooved tyres (who doesn't?) so now would have been the best time to rejoin F1.

Knock-on
5th December 2008, 09:17
I think Sebs time is limited.

Sato has shown strongly and if a buyer for Honda cannot be found, then Button is also on the market who would be preferable to either.

Tallgeese
5th December 2008, 11:37
Don't know, I think Button started out strongly but unfortunately didn't make the right career choices in his time. Bourdais has what it takes to win & the new regulations should help him.

ioan
5th December 2008, 11:51
I suspect that his relationship at STR isn't all that smooth. Personally I'd rather Renault have taken him in to team up with Alonso, but for 2009 with no clear drive I presume that he may be looking at Honda or so. Currently STR & Honda are undecided with four seats for grabs & at least six serious candidates so I think he stands a good chance. Curiously I'd like to see how he does in slicks.

Scrap Honda from that list.

jens
5th December 2008, 19:05
I have to admit that I would feel for Bourdais if he doesn't get an opportunity for 2009, especially after a relatively strong second half of 2008.

But... F1 history can provide us with endless examples of talented drivers, who didn't get a proper chance. And it will continue so in the future too. There is nothing to do about it, this is the way, how F1 works. At least Heidfeld and Glock continue to race more or less successfully :) - in some phases of their careers the F1-game seemed pretty much over too...

For Bourdais' consolation it can be said that probably he doesn't have good F1-career outlooks anyway even if he continues at STR. He may destroy his namesake in the other car in 2009 and shine, but I doubt he will ever find himself in a top team. Partly also due to his age as it's known, how youth-obsessed current F1 is.

Tallgeese
8th December 2008, 12:52
The wise option for Toro Rosso would be to run Bourdais & Sato. Honestly, Buemi may have the money goods but a 5th place in GP2. Likewise when one stops to think about it it's all about getting the funding (as Bourdais seemed to hint) not about the points. No doubt Buemi has what it takes but he's not the man to step in now.

In many ways Bourdais has worked longer with the team & has one year of experience in F1 & a history of winning at ChampCars, where Sato has several in F1 so it makes more sense to use an experienced line-up. Unfortunately it's now about sponsorship funds.