PDA

View Full Version : Mazda 1

Rollo
3rd December 2008, 04:57
With the Mazda 6 and the Mondeo based on the same platform, the Mazda 3 and the Focus on the same platform and the Mazda 2 and the Fiesta based on the same platform it would seem logical that the Mazda 1 should share a platform with the Ka... except that the Ka II is in cahoots with the Fiat 500.

What I'm wondering is would the Mazda 1 if it existed replace the Mazda Carol with currently is a rebadged Suzuki Alto? In which case, when the Alto changes over in 2009, would the corresponding Mazda follow suit?

http://www.geocities.com/rollo75/mazda1.jpg

Oh yes, please feel free to start rumours with this. I caused quite a stir on a Mazdaspeed forum with the Mazda 9.

http://www.geocities.com/rollo75/mazda9.jpg

leopard
3rd December 2008, 07:16
I think it is very common that a platform applies to several model of cars. To start the new platform for every new models will not be efficient. Car users usually do not take notice of which engine applied for a model, they may need the rough detail about engine capacity as it has direct relationship with the power and fuel consumption. Regardless, visual model of the better look cars is more important.

The public use of certain car is not something odds, there are some points involved before a transportation firm deciding which car will be used for their business. Among various points of consideration, the proven better mileage car usually has the bigger hints.

Good start Rollo...

raybak
3rd December 2008, 12:37
I have just ordered my new Mazda 9 Omega with tow pack in white. It's to replace the 3 year old VZ Executive rep mobile in you guessed it white with a tow pack :(

Ray

veeten
4th December 2008, 13:00
Knowing present trends as how Ford does their cross-platform development, the next Mazda 9 will be based on...

wait for it...

the Taurus/Sable chassis, modified by Mazda for the market they are aiming for. The wheelbase for the current concept car confirms it, but the body design will go through final changes before hitting the market.

Rollo
4th December 2008, 21:37
the Taurus/Sable chassis, modified by Mazda for the market they are aiming for. The wheelbase for the current concept car confirms it, but the body design will go through final changes before hitting the market.

Given that the Taurus is essentially the Five Hundred with only a cosmetic change, we already know that that car sits on the Ford D3 platform. Also given that the equivalent Mercurys and Lincolns as well as the Volvos S80, V70, XC70, S60 and XC90 also do, then your supposition is entirely feasible.