PDA

View Full Version : Andreas Mikkelsen

Pages : [1] 2 3

Dave C
2nd December 2008, 17:08
Looks like he's going to be competing in an M Sport Focus next year according to this:-

http://www.rallybuzz.com/mikkelsen-m-sport-2009-wrc/

alexlake
2nd December 2008, 19:30
Shame, thought he might end up in Subaru :rolleyes:

Simmi
2nd December 2008, 19:54
I dont think it would have been a wise move to throw away a good relationship with Ford. Especially if you consider who is probably more committed to remain in rallying for when Andreas is hitting his peak.

Gard
2nd December 2008, 20:24
Mikkelsen said that he has until next weekend to get the money to fullfill his proposed contract from Citroen. He actually said that if they didn't get the money this week, they give up the WRC 2009 campaign.

Maybe blanks for the contract negotiations

alleskids
2nd December 2008, 20:32
@ Gard, do you mean Ford ?

SubaruNorway
2nd December 2008, 20:51
@ Gard, do you mean Ford ?

No he meant Citroen, thats what Mikkelsen has been saying the whole time, Citroen is the goal.

alleskids
2nd December 2008, 21:55
So M-Sport offered him a reduced offer to drag him into Fords side?

SubaruNorway
2nd December 2008, 22:14
So M-Sport offered him a reduced offer to drag him into Fords side?

Yeah or Wilson went something like this "If you leave us now you won't be able to put your foot in this team ever again" to say it a bit harsh :p

Tomi
2nd December 2008, 22:35
Yeah or Wilson went something like this "If you leave us now you won't be able to put your foot in this team ever again" to say it a bit harsh :p

more likely is that he made his choise after the test with subaru, btw who will be driving in those subaru M2 teams someone mentioned a few weeks ago?

Iskald
3rd December 2008, 09:34
more likely is that he made his choise after the test with subaru, btw who will be driving in those subaru M2 teams someone mentioned a few weeks ago?

Met Andreas two days ago, and he is absolutely not sure himself what is happening. On option is actually that he will be quitting rally for 2009 to do his military service in Norway. The article in rallybuzz is nothing else than extremly unconfirmed rumours, possibly Ford is his third and last choice...

Several drivers has been in discussion to drive alongside Mads Østberg in the Adapta Subaru M2 team, among those Eugene Novikov, Guy Wilks, Urmo Aava, Chris Meeke, Henning Solberg and others. Nobody has come up with the proper budget yet, but Morten Østberg (team principal and father of Mads) is staying calm and confident about getting a second (and even a third driver in a S12b!).

pino
3rd December 2008, 09:59
... btw who will be driving in those subaru M2 teams someone mentioned a few weeks ago?

Don Jippo and myself ;) :p :

urabus-denoS2000
3rd December 2008, 10:02

Is this confirmed or just rumors? ;) ;) ;)

pino
3rd December 2008, 10:06
Is this confirmed or just rumors? ;) ;) ;)

It will be confirmed before Xmas :p :

urabus-denoS2000
3rd December 2008, 10:09

Good for you ;) ;) ;) ;)

Brother John
3rd December 2008, 10:32

Me and A.F.F. take the third car! :s mokin:

Viking
3rd December 2008, 10:38

Jack D as sponsor? :beer:

Tomi
3rd December 2008, 12:40

busy days for atkinson and petter if thats true, whats new about the other subaru m2 teams, was there not suppose to be more than 1.

Tomi
3rd December 2008, 12:43

Please dont, that would mean bigger safety areas in rallyes, and thats bad news for spectators. :)

Simmi
3rd December 2008, 12:53
Please dont, that would mean bigger safety areas in rallyes, and thats bad news for spectators. :)

Yeah no spectators allowed within 50 metres of the stage at all times.

Tomi
3rd December 2008, 13:19
Met Andreas two days ago, and he is absolutely not sure himself what is happening. On option is actually that he will be quitting rally for 2009 to do his military service in Norway. The article in rallybuzz is nothing else than extremly unconfirmed rumours, possibly Ford is his third and last choice...

Ahaa ok, personally I think Subaru would be the best choise for him, even that the car is propably not so good, but I guess the next free seat will be there.

RS
3rd December 2008, 13:46

That won't happen, A.F.F. is under long term contract to Skoda.

Brother John
3rd December 2008, 13:56

We do also IRC with Skoda S2000! :D

Tomi
3rd December 2008, 15:21

That suites you much better guys, any pics of your new driving skirts?

Ramore
3rd December 2008, 15:44
According to rallybuzz.com, Mikkelsen will drive Ford Focus WRC, prepared by M-Sport.

bennizw
3rd December 2008, 19:32
Old news. They're not right.

Iskald
3rd December 2008, 19:58
According to rallybuzz.com, Mikkelsen will drive Ford Focus WRC, prepared by M-Sport.

Once more rallybuzz.com is speculating wildly. Are we surprised...?

Tomi
3rd December 2008, 20:15

Not really, even the guy who runs the site claimed that he check his news with different sourses, when somebody complained a few days back about it.

jonkka
4th December 2008, 05:13
Maybe any news is better than no news?

pino
4th December 2008, 06:48
Maybe any news is better than no news?

Nope ! no news is better than crappy news :p :

Roy
4th December 2008, 09:22

Again a motorsport 'news' website with rumour content. Start a website and fill it with real news, please.

pettersolberg29
4th December 2008, 19:05
rallybuzz.com is a really good website.

c4 does a great job, bringing us news and rumours - how dull would the winter period be in WRC without rumoured driver changes?!

urabus-denoS2000
4th December 2008, 20:35

c4 does a great job, bringing us news and rumours - how dull would the winter period be in WRC without rumoured driver changes?!

:up:

Love his vids

A.F.F.
4th December 2008, 22:16

:up:

And I have no intention to change the winning horse :)

A.F.F.
4th December 2008, 22:17

After the season we can write a book about it. Heck, it probably would turn out to be a serie.

noel157
4th December 2008, 23:04

Agree.

Iskald
11th December 2008, 10:38
News unfolded this morning. Andreas Mikkelsen has given up his hopes to secure a seat in a Citröen C4 for 2009. He is still missing 1 million Euros and says that he will not be participating in WRC coming season. Possibly he will do his military service and not rally at all during 2009, which seems a great shame for one of the worlds greatest talents at the moment.

Roy
11th December 2008, 10:47
News unfolded this morning. Andreas Mikkelsen has given up his hopes to secure a seat in a Citröen C4 for 2009. He is still missing 1 million Euros and says that he will not be participating in WRC coming season. Possibly he will do his military service and not rally at all during 2009, which seems a great shame for one of the worlds greatest talents at the moment.

And Expert Norway? Does Expert quit? If they still go further with H. Solberg I don't understand. Mikkelsen needs that money!

ProRally
11th December 2008, 11:28

Surprise surprise, Daddy said 'you' find 1.000.000 euro and I pay the rest, if not tough luck.
Seems that the 'youngster' could not find the 1mio so, he will have to do military service...

Even more talented and proven drivers can NOT find that kind of money, why so a kid be able to do it ?

Maybe he will prove me wrong (good for him then...) :D

Barreis
11th December 2008, 11:47
http://www.rallybuzz.com is great site!!!

Tom206wrc
11th December 2008, 14:38
No he meant Citroen, thats what Mikkelsen has been saying the whole time, Citroen is the goal.

Great !!!! Too much Focus in WRC anyway :bounce: :bounce:

Tom206wrc
11th December 2008, 14:43

Oh no... ;(

Sulland
11th December 2008, 14:47
He should go for IRC, and learn the new cars that will be WRCar from 2010, if rumours are correct !

Then he can gain an advantage !

Tomi
11th December 2008, 15:24
He should go for IRC, and learn the new cars that will be WRCar from 2010, if rumours are correct !

Then he can gain an advantage !

are they driving the kit car in IRC, link please ?

PLuto
11th December 2008, 15:26

Kit Cars in IRC are allowed only in groups A5 and A6. You can count with them to Overall classification (but I dont think you have a chance) or into 2WD Cup (you have better chances).

RS
11th December 2008, 15:30
I think Tomi meant "is Mikelssen driving S2000 in IRC"?

If so, that is only speculation of Sulland as far as I know.

Tomi
11th December 2008, 15:52
I think Tomi meant "is Mikelssen driving S2000 in IRC"?

If so, that is only speculation of Sulland as far as I know.

So what will he learn from that, if he drives the S2000 with the kit 2010? completely different car to drive then.

Mirek
11th December 2008, 15:56
Tomi, since we don't even know wheater there will be some Kit or not, it is not very clever to say that car would be different to drive than current S2000.

Tomi
11th December 2008, 15:59
]Tomi, since we don't even know wheater there will be some Kit or not, it is not very clever to say that car would be different to drive than current S2000.

I think you will know in a few days.

Sulland
11th December 2008, 15:59

Just to clarify: I ment IRC in 09, and in a normal S2000 !

Tomi
11th December 2008, 16:02

You said he would get advantage by driving a S2000, even you dont know what car he will be driving 2010.

RS
11th December 2008, 16:21
Presuming the proposed new regulations go ahead, an S2000 car is likely to be closer in terms of the chassis than a current WRCar, and of course IRC would be cheaper.

But if Mr Mikkelsen has to get his national service out the way sometime, perhaps he had best do it this year and think about making a return in 2010.

Sulland
11th December 2008, 18:25
You said he would get advantage by driving a S2000, even you dont know what car he will be driving 2010.

No but I was thinking driving style, since this is very different btw S2000 and WRC. Then it is smart to have some experience !

Tomi
11th December 2008, 18:48
No but I was thinking driving style, since this is very different btw S2000 and WRC. Then it is smart to have some experience !

Yes but there will propably be aerodynamic parts also, it will not help in any way, more help would be to drive good notes in wrc.

Sulland
11th December 2008, 20:07
Yes but there will propably be aerodynamic parts also, it will not help in any way, more help would be to drive good notes in wrc.

But you have to agree that it is very different to drive a NA engine compared to one with a turbo ?
Just ask the WRC drivers that has already tried !! :p

Iskald
11th December 2008, 20:46

IRC is definitely not on for Andreas - never has been. There are still some options for him though, and IMO he should not go through the whole of 2009 without driving at all. One solution could be to do the Norwegian Championship and Rally Norway, in a WRC-car still free on the market and competitive against the Subaru S10s of Østberg and Grøndal. The car is white and green...

Sulland
11th December 2008, 20:52
IRC is definitely not on for Andreas - never has been. There are still some options for him though, and IMO he should not go through the whole of 2009 without driving at all. One solution could be to do the Norwegian Championship and Rally Norway, in a WRC-car still free on the market and competitive against the Subaru S10s of Østberg and Grøndal. The car is white and green...
;) :s mokin:

bennizw
11th December 2008, 20:53
Skoda Fabia WRC Henning?

RS
11th December 2008, 21:16
Skoda Fabia WRC Henning?

Where did that one come from????

RS
11th December 2008, 21:21
Ahhh, I get it, Iskald's name is Henning :)

Tomi
11th December 2008, 21:46

Agree, whats the point to put ut loads of money trying to make a rally carreer, then suddenly drop to a minor league deliberetly.
Selected events in WRC car would be good option and at the same time do the military, after that 100% try to brake and get a works seat.

Sulland
12th December 2008, 00:47
Skoda Fabia WRC Henning?

Bernard Kongsrud bought 2 Fabia WRC last year, probably one of those. Will be fun to watch !

RS
12th December 2008, 09:01
Agree, whats the point to put ut loads of money trying to make a rally carreer, then suddenly drop to a minor league deliberetly.
Selected events in WRC car would be good option and at the same time do the military, after that 100% try to brake and get a works seat.

At the end of next year maybe you should ask Mr Alen and Mr Hanninen how easy that 'minor league' is.

However, I do agree that Mikkelsen should get his military service out of the way and try to make a comeback later when the economic situation may be better and there may be more than 6 works seats in the WRC.

Tomi
12th December 2008, 10:09
At the end of next year maybe you should ask Mr Alen and Mr Hanninen how easy that 'minor league' is.

However, I do agree that Mikkelsen should get his military service out of the way and try to make a comeback later when the economic situation may be better and there may be more than 6 works seats in the WRC.

So Hänninen did not get the money then? Thats a pity, but sh!t happends.

RS
12th December 2008, 10:24
So Hänninen did not get the money then? Thats a pity, but sh!t happends.

I think it will be a good move for him. It will probably do his driving skills some good to compete in a truly competitive championship and also to improve his skills on asphalt. Got to be better than another year crusing around in the Mitsubishi gravel cup.

Perhaps it is also nice for him to drive in a championship where he has been signed on his talent and not the size of his wallet.

Tomi
12th December 2008, 10:47
I think it will be a good move for him. It will probably do his driving skills some good to compete in a truly competitive championship and also to improve his skills on asphalt. Got to be better than another year crusing around in the Mitsubishi gravel cup.

Perhaps it is also nice for him to drive in a championship where he has been signed on his talent and not the size of his wallet.

Lol, thats not a good move if the driver has been focusing the whole carreer to drive in WRC, last friday he said in a interview that he wish he can continiue on WRC level, so for him its everything else but good.

RS
12th December 2008, 11:01
Lol, thats not a good move if the driver has been focusing the whole carreer to drive in WRC, last friday he said in a interview that he wish he can continiue on WRC level, so for him its everything else but good.

I don't know what his contract with Skoda says, maybe we will see him do some pWRC events too.

Anyhow, he can always go back in the future, when maybe there are more paid seats than pay drivers in WRC.

Also glad to see more than one Finn brave enough to take on IRC ;)

Tomi
12th December 2008, 11:09
Also glad to see more than one Finn brave enough to take on IRC ;)

It has nothing to do with baveness where they drive, every single finnish driver who put out enormous sums of money in an international rally carreer has only 1 goal, and that is a works seat and to get someday back the money they have invested, thats also why almost everyone stop with the driving if they cant do it.

RS
12th December 2008, 11:21
So without IRC, there would have been nothing for Juho next year?

RS
12th December 2008, 11:23
every single finnish driver who put out enormous sums of money in an international rally carreer has only 1 goal, and that is a works seat

Well Juho achieved it already :)

So without IRC there would have been nothing for him?

Tomi
12th December 2008, 11:43
Well Juho achieved it already :)

So without IRC there would have been nothing for him?

Sofar he has achived only 2 place in pwrc, irc is not an option or achivement.

RS
12th December 2008, 12:01
You really are very funny.

You do know there is more to a rally championship than 'a name' don't you?

I think it is good for Juho to be driving next year in a comeptitive international championship on loose and sealed surfaces.

Good luck to Hanninen next year, I will follow with interest. Hope the Skoda will be better for him than the previous Finns and vice versa. But I have confidence in both :)

I won't post again in this thread because it was supposed to be about Mikkelsen but went somewhat off track.

VidarH
9th February 2010, 09:27
Join his Facebook Fangroupe:
http://www.facebook.com/search/?q=an...8993309&ref=ts (http://www.facebook.com/search/?q=andreas&init=quick#%21/group.php?gid=2248993309&ref=ts)

Exelent Photos by: Thomas Bjørne www.videoaktiv.no (http://www.videoaktiv.no/)
Andreas and new car.
http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs154.snc3/18161_300287232180_588412180_4042565_4205666_n.jpg

Sorry did not find the tread for Andreas first. Now I did find it by search.

EavesFan09
9th February 2010, 10:19
I won't post again in this thread because it was supposed to be about Mikkelsen but went somewhat off track.

Maybe this will entice you? incase it hasn't been mentioned in this thread.

Confirmation that Mikkelsen will be doing 7 rounds of the IRC in an M-Sport Fiesta S2000.

http://www.rallybuzz.com/mikkelsen-fiesta-s2000-irc-programme/
http://www.ircseries.com/html/

VidarH
14th May 2010, 07:09
Hello
You can follow him here:
http://www.rallytalsi.lv/index.php/en/news/85-bta-rally-talsi-2010.html

We hope for a new victory.

sindroms
14th May 2010, 08:09
Hello
You can follow him here:
http://www.rallytalsi.lv/index.php/en/news/85-bta-rally-talsi-2010.html

We hope for a new victory.

To follow on-line results, visit - http://autorally.lv/2010/?pid=3&lng=en starting from tomorrow 15:40 (CET)

Well...Top 3 will be respectable result for him ;)

KKSF
17th May 2010, 16:15
Rally Talsi-2010 Nr.5 - Andreas Mikkelsen http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDpi4xN_SpY

Sulland
15th December 2012, 20:51
Will Mikkelsen compete in the 3 first rallies in 13 at all, or will he be training in the Polo?

SubaruNorway
15th December 2012, 21:11
Will Mikkelsen compete in the 3 first rallies in 13 at all, or will he be training in the Polo?

He said somewhere that they will try to find some national rallies to do, unknown what car or country. Just doing the recce in three first WRC events. I think EVEN Rally still has a Fabia WRC, would be good fun to see him out in that one to get used to the WRC speed again :)

Plan9
16th December 2012, 00:15
No chance of him doing the first 3 rounds in a Fabia s2000? When he does get the Polo; will he be registered in a M2 team or something like "VW Red Bull Junior Team"

Sulland
16th December 2012, 13:13
No chance of him doing the first 3 rounds in a Fabia s2000? When he does get the Polo; will he be registered in a M2 team or something like "VW Red Bull Junior Team"

Would maybe make sense to keep speed in the body!

SubaruNorway
17th December 2012, 16:15
Andreas Mikkelsen - future champion :: World of Rally (http://www.world-of-rally.com/news/andreas-mikkelsen-future-champion-/)

"Andreas also stated he will most probably appear on rallies on home turf next year, and told us that he would drive some events ahead of his debut in the Polo WRC, but it was too early to tell what car he would drive"

Sulland
8th February 2017, 13:04
Let us collect issues on Mikkelsen here, so not all threads are full of things on him.

We now know he has missed a rally (sweden) after doing a very good Monte in a R5 Skoda.

What looks to be his best options of a full time return?

Buy in to Adapta/ Jipocar
Bet on that one of the teams are not happy with their lineup for 3 cars
Something else

Sch17
8th February 2017, 14:07
hey guys, i dont know if its the right place to ask this but what is the relationship between Mikkelsen, Ostberg and Even Group? Its a bit odd not seeing them teaming up together. There is also Tidemand, Veiby and other young drivers(Solbergs?) which can make a good Project and it would be interesting to see them working together.
Im sorry for my bad English, cheers.

Sulland
8th February 2017, 17:13
Mikkelsen is part of Even Management. Same with Veiby Jr, Lappi and Tidemand.
No relationship with Østberg, apart from both being Norwegians.
Adapta is the team of the Østberg family.

Lets see what the future brings.

Simmi
8th February 2017, 17:31
Buy in to Adapta/ Jipocar
Bet on that one of the teams are not happy with their lineup for 3 cars
Something else

My views on the options:

a) Very difficult to make this happen I think. Two guys with personal ambitions/backing have come together. The team is built around them. I don't see how Andreas fits in. If they add a car then EVEN might as well go direct to M-Sport. It has to be their name on the entry list after all.

b) This is a long-term strategy. Teams aren't going to get rid of a driver quickly. They'd also need to be able to break the contract. Let's be real we are talking about Breen, Lefebvre, Hanninen. Maybe Sordo. All of which are under contract - and three of which have deals for next year too.

c) This has to be the best option. Take that money they were going to use for VW and see if M-Sport, Citroen or even Hyundai can stretch to a fourth car for the right price. He'd then have to beat their other drivers on pace to try and force a deal for 2018. It seems like Citroen are already behind on car availability. Have to think Ford are the best bet but they might be maxed out for a few months now. Hyundai could do it I'm sure if they wanted. I just don't see them being bothered enough to do it.

In summary I can't see Andreas getting into a car until after Finland. Even then it's hard to see the obvious way in.

jparker
8th February 2017, 17:55
In summary I can't see Andreas getting into a car until after Finland. Even then it's hard to see the obvious way in.

I can't see him not driving until Finland.
My guess is Hanninen steping down.

seb_sh
8th February 2017, 18:14
I can't see him not driving until Finland.
My guess is Hanninen steping down.

Hanninen is going to do the full year; he is the reference to how the car is progressing. I'm afraid Mikkelsen might have to spend a year in WRC2 or WRC Trophy. Not ideal but not a tragedy in any case, look at Ogier.

jparker
8th February 2017, 18:20
In this case, is 3rd Toyota fo Mikkelsen a possibility?

Simmi
8th February 2017, 19:17
In this case, is 3rd Toyota fo Mikkelsen a possibility?

Can't see why it would be. EVEN would have to remove their own guy (Lappi) from the car. And if that was going to happen they should have done it already before the season.

Honestly sometimes you play musical chairs and you are left without a seat.

Sulland
8th February 2017, 20:14
In the waiting time until something is decided, he should try to get hold of a 16 PanzerPolo!
He knows it intinately, and it was the superb car last year. In tougher rallies for the new unproven 17 breed, that could prove to be a top combo!

Munkvy
8th February 2017, 20:28
I think his only hope of a manufacturer drive this year is if a certain Frenchman continues to under perform. However, how likely is it that a French team would drop their only French driver. Even if it is for a clearly much more accomplished driver?

AL14
8th February 2017, 22:12
Fact is that if a manufacturer will build one more car for Mikkelsen or replace one of their drivers with him, they will be able to keep him for the next season(s).
Mikkelsen is not just a TOP driver, he is one of the best in the world, certainly in the TOP5, he has won more rallies than anybody except for Latvala and Ogier, and has a very important talent, that a factory team should look at: consistency. He is able not only to win rallies but to bring consistently points for manu title and he is good in all surfaces.

I am actually surprised he has not an agreement yet for at least the second part of the season.

Sulland
21st February 2017, 14:36
We will know more after Mex.

If Meeke crashes again.....
If Neuville crashes again....
If Hanninen crashes again....
If Lefebvre does not get his gravel form up...

many interessting possibilities!

Simmi
21st February 2017, 19:50
We will know more after Mex.

If Meeke crashes again.....
If Neuville crashes again....

Nothing will happen even if they crash all 3 days.

Munkvy
21st February 2017, 22:54
Nothing will happen even if they crash all 3 days.

If Neuville crashes for the third rally in a row, I suspect Nandan will do something. He has done it before after all. But what he would do, that I don't know, given the structure they run now and the need for as many drivers as possible so that they get points for the team.

Meeke I think is safe, simply based on the fact that he is still the quickest driver in the team for the moment. Breen however has a golden opportunity this year to learn, improve and then take over as the lead driver next year potentially. I think he may well be the safe pair of hands Citroen need right now! As for the remaining too, yes definitely on thin ice and a great opportunity for Andreas if the current trend continues.

pantealex
22nd February 2017, 08:03
If Neuville crashes for the third rally in a row, I suspect Nandan will do something. He has done it before after all. But what he would do, that I don't know, given the structure they run now and the need for as many drivers as possible so that they get points for the team.

Meeke I think is safe, simply based on the fact that he is still the quickest driver in the team for the moment. Breen however has a golden opportunity this year to learn, improve and then take over as the lead driver next year potentially. I think he may well be the safe pair of hands Citroen need right now! As for the remaining too, yes definitely on thin ice and a great opportunity for Andreas if the current trend continues.

and Neuville is not quickest driver in his team ?

Zeakiwi
22nd February 2017, 08:39
How many cars does Toyota sell in Norway?
Hyundai has run four cars before. What are the chances if Hyundai relegate Neuville out of a manufacturer's scoring role (and draft Mikkelsen into a Hyundai scoring drive -even a one off event e.g NORF ) Neuville will win the rally?

PLuto
22nd February 2017, 11:40
How many cars does Toyota sell in Norway?
Hyundai has run four cars before. What are the chances if Hyundai relegate Neuville out of a manufacturer's scoring role (and draft Mikkelsen into a Hyundai scoring drive -even a one off event e.g NORF ) Neuville will win the rally?

Hyundai have no budget to run 4 cars...

skarderud
22nd February 2017, 16:43
Carsales in norway:

1. Volkswagen1354917,40,6
2. Toyota873911,27,1
3. BMW56137,229,2
4. Nissan463465
5. Ford45435,89,8
6. Mercedes-Benz44625,726,9
7. Volvo41955,4-4,7
8. Skoda41715,414,4
9. Mitsubishi36184,728,6
10. Mazda35624,6

Sent fra min XP7700 via Tapatalk

Mise
23rd February 2017, 13:56
Well, we now know where Mikkelsen is heading.
Skoda Fabia WRC
http://yle.fi/urheilu/3-9472669

Skoda says that's rubbish and yet Bosse is there having a secret test.

Mirek
23rd February 2017, 14:05
So secret that it's everywhere on the internet.

BigWorm
23rd February 2017, 15:09
Testing the R5 isn't he?

Tarmop
23rd February 2017, 15:44
http://www.urheiluuutiset.com/marcus-gronholm-skoda-testista-ei-taalla-mitaan-wrc-autoa-ole/

And Gronholm also says no WRC.

RS
23rd February 2017, 16:29
We already know VW will build an R5 so why don't they just tell the truth about why Gronholm was there?

JUF
23rd February 2017, 17:10
Andreas Mikkelsen has posted a photo on Instagram earlier today that he flies to Porto. Maybe he is also involved in the Skoda test?

Meekefan
23rd February 2017, 17:37
Yes, Mikkelsen will test tomorrow at Ponte de Lima (Portugal).

dimviii
23rd February 2017, 17:38
so more than 4 days testing for Skoda?

BILLIOT Jérémie‏@planetemarcus 1h

#WRC 4th day of testing for Skoda Motorsport with Tidemand back behind the Fabia R5 wheel

Meekefan
23rd February 2017, 17:43
Yes, at least until tomorrow, maybe saturday if mikkelsen accomplishes two days.

rayh_mx
23rd February 2017, 17:43
Think wrong and be right

Andre Oliveira
23rd February 2017, 17:53
Mikkelsen arrived at Portugal. So test next days

RS
23rd February 2017, 19:27
Seems more and more likely Mikkelsen will do a WRC2 programme with Skoda then.

He has to do Portugal if that is the case.

RS
23rd February 2017, 19:28
so more than 4 days testing for Skoda?

BILLIOT Jérémie‏@planetemarcus 1h

#WRC 4th day of testing for Skoda Motorsport with Tidemand back behind the Fabia R5 wheel

Testing joker parts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DPaKvl69vk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTU6t-FPNLo

Does maybe look slightly more powerful and sound slightly different.

GigiGalliNo1
24th February 2017, 14:58
Like NOT would say

He's a dying dog. Let him go. He had his chance and now he's out of a seat!

WUff1
24th February 2017, 17:45
Like NOT would say

Bullshit!

N.O.T
24th February 2017, 18:45
Like NOT would say

This is the reason why everyone in your close circle of people looks at you funny when you say something kid.

Fast Eddie WRC
6th April 2017, 22:55
Interesting AM interview on the TDC preview programme.

He confirmed how keen he was to get a 2017 Polo and how it would be the best for him as he was so used to it.

He also said it would"ve been the cheapest option and paying for a drive in another car was both expensive and would take a lot of getting used to before he could be fast...

Simmi
8th April 2017, 14:41
Did anyone hear Colin Clark's comments yesterday about Andreas. He said some positive noises were coming out of his camp regarding Portugal. But didn't know what specifically. Has anything been printed anywhere?

GigiGalliNo1
8th April 2017, 14:47
He's a has been, he'll never be back in a top car... Talent wasted... good on the sport! :D

Sulland
8th April 2017, 15:25
So if you were the teamboss of Citroen or Toyota, and your current driver lineup does not work. What option is better to call up than Mikkelsen?

GigiGalliNo1
8th April 2017, 15:35
Honestly the best thing for Mikkelsen would be Citroen.

I don't see him at Toyota...

Fast Eddie WRC
8th April 2017, 21:04
People were saying its no problem him missing 2017 and he can come back in 2018 and take up where he left off.

But I said he is missing a lot by not getting the 2017 WRC car experience asap. His comments on the recent interview back this up.

As he didnt get the Polo he will have a hell of a lot of ground to make up if/when he does get a WRC drive in a new car.

Sulland
9th April 2017, 13:23
Comments from Andreas after the last stage on Korsika.

"It's been a great weekend for us. We had a good gap and it was about maintaining that. I hope to be back in a WRC car soon! Things are looking better on that front and I hope to be back soon. Something is going on for sure.

wildboar
9th April 2017, 17:21
In the championship standings, Mikkelsen is ahead of Lefebvre and Hänninen. In an R5 car and with 2 events missing....
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_World_Rally_Championship#FIA_World_Championsh ip_for_Drivers

Toyoda
10th April 2017, 04:34
In the championship standings, Mikkelsen is ahead of Lefebvre and Hänninen. In an R5 car and with 2 events missing....
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_World_Rally_Championship#FIA_World_Championsh ip_for_Drivers

If I was Hyundai boss I would get him a 4th car now as he is much better the Paddon and Sordo, one of which has been woeful this year and the other has never really been fast, both of which are now speedwise journeymen.

mknight
10th April 2017, 10:58
I see only 2 options tbh.

Citroen with Lefevbre doing only some rounds in WRC car, no idea how likely that is, the comments about about "not being french" from Matton in December still stick. Question is how much pressure is there on him with Citroen being last in manu and with 6th as best driver champ. position.

3rd Toyota (or 2nd instead of Hanninen) - Toyota has shown that they have similar performance to the other cars (well, not enough data for gravel yet), so he is likely interested. Question is then how much not being finish and not wanting to pay to drive counts.

M-sport- would imo only use him if he paid for the car/drive and it's not a good idea for any of them. It is quite likely that M-Sport ends like it was with the previous fiesta. Starting fast but then focusing too much on selling cars and not developing the current one as fast as the competitors. Maybe Ogier forces them to keep development up, but then it is likely to affect the speed of the "costumer" cars. (remember the Focus 03-04 and the related A.Warmbold saga)

Hyundai is imo completely out of the question

Polo 2017 is out due to other manufacturers
Polo 2016 is pointless, customer 2017 Fiesta is for sure faster and would prbly cost the same

Simmi
10th April 2017, 12:18
I hope it doesn't happen but I wouldn't be shocked to see Mikkelsen end up in that third Toyota at the expense of Lappi. Lappi shifts into a test role/R5 or some such and then gets the permanent seat in 2018. Hanninen sees out the season and that's it for him in the WRC.

pantealex
10th April 2017, 14:39
Lappi and Mikkelsen are both EVEN Management drivers...

so Erik Veiby knows exactly what kind of deal Lappi has.

I believe Lappi has contract which says he is WRC car driver.

Simmi
10th April 2017, 14:47
Lappi and Mikkelsen are both EVEN Management drivers...

so Erik Veiby knows exactly what kind of deal Lappi has.

I believe Lappi has contract which says he is WRC car driver.

Yep fully aware they have the same management. Which is why I can see it happening and some deal being done between them. Just feels strange to me there are no details of Lappi's programme yet this year.

KKS
10th April 2017, 15:20
Toyota can easily bring +2 cars now. Toyota only one manufacturer that have two pairs of WRC'17 chassis. All other used same cars on all 4 rounds.
I don't understand why if Toyota have a spare cars, need more mileage for development don't invite Mikkelsen to do few rounds with Yaris.

Fast Eddie WRC
10th April 2017, 20:50
Andreas Mikkelsen: "Estamos negociando con todos los equipos del WRC" https://t.co/oHtL1NvFp3 https://t.co/rgPM3JwdM7

"We are negociating with all WRC Teams..."

Fast Eddie WRC
14th April 2017, 14:28
Rumours growing ...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C9ObTjBVYAAZz3k.jpg:large

SubaruNorway
14th April 2017, 14:35
Maybe a good idea to get the co driver right first ;)

GigiGalliNo1
14th April 2017, 15:55
Also. Flag stickers wouldn't be on the door, photoshopped better with smaller writing font... ah well

Fast Eddie WRC
14th April 2017, 16:38
You guys take everything so literally ! :D

Fast Eddie WRC
14th April 2017, 23:17
Not yet then for Andreas...

Lappi to drive third Toyota in Portugal, no changes to Juho's position in the team. http://www.is.fi/ralli/art-2000005171545.html

Andre Oliveira
15th April 2017, 00:51
Andreas future is not Toyota, not VW too

Duvel
15th April 2017, 05:55
Andreas future is not Toyota, not VW too

Citroen?, if you think to know more, just share whit us!

smsgrafica
15th April 2017, 08:33
Jumping in for Lefebvre would be the best choice overall

Rallyper
15th April 2017, 09:10
Jumping in for Lefebvre would be the best choice overall

Also most logical.

Fast Eddie WRC
15th April 2017, 10:18
I still think some sort of a drive with a Fiesta is most likely... maybe with Prokop/ Ostberg team or Dmack.

Fast Eddie WRC
15th April 2017, 11:54
Colin Clark on Mikkelsen:

'Perhaps the more likely route back for Mikkelsen is the possibility that in today’s ultra competitive WRC, where the cars seem so evenly matched, he could replace an underperforming driver.

If this is the case then there is one driver who Mikkelsen will have firmly in his sights - the eminently likeable but obviously underperforming Juho Hanninen. It’s astonishing to think that the opening stage on Saturday was Juho’s first complete stage driven competitively in a World Rally Car on tarmac. Juho might come good, but that could be too late for him, and perhaps more importantly, too late for Jari-Matti Latvala.

If JML is to seriously challenge Ogier for this year’s crown then he needs a reliable wing man. Theres also the question of development. Toyota will rapidly fall behind the opposition if they continue to rely on the competitive feedback from one car. It’s a pretty compelling case for Mikkelsen to Toyota. But for that to happen Mr Makinen will perhaps have to admit he was wrong about Juho. And that seems unlikely...'

Rallyper
15th April 2017, 13:02
I still believe Citroen this year only. And Toyota 2018.

tommeke_B
15th April 2017, 13:47
On the live-emission of the powerstage in Corsica (on RTBF), Yves Matton has said that Mikkelsen will be testing a new generation WRC car before the end of June. He also said that he would be surprised to not see him competing in a new WRC car before the end of the year. Sure he will be replacing either Hänninen or Lefebvre.

Fast Eddie WRC
18th April 2017, 13:41
Ha ha... no-one predicted Hyundai !

dodge33cymru
18th April 2017, 13:45
Oh come on Yves, don't let this one go.....

er88
18th April 2017, 13:49
Oh come on Yves, don't let this one go.....

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
He'll probably have Ogier, Meeke and Breen for next season, or feels he has a good chance of getting Seb. Otherwise Andreas would be in the car now instead of Lefebvre

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Hartusvuori
18th April 2017, 13:51
Ha ha... no-one predicted Hyundai !

Not quite. Published two days ago:
Andreas Mikkelsen is among the drivers who deserve the place in a WRC car. The Norwegian´s first option and wish is to join Hyundai. A logical choice as his best friend, another Monaco resident Thierry Neuville has shown that the Korean manufacturer has the best car at the moment. And for Hyundai it is a win-win situation too as Mikkelsen would be that fraction better in the fight for manufacturers championship than the current "Neuville supporters".

https://www.facebook.com/mwmsports/?fref=ts

Fast Eddie WRC
18th April 2017, 13:53
If the Hyundai rumour happens, maybe Sordo could make way... he's not getting any younger. Paying up his contract could be a price worth paying.

Eric
18th April 2017, 13:56
If the Hyundai rumour happens, maybe Sordo could make way... he's not getting any younger. Paying up his contract could be a price worth paying.

Its car #4. No doubt they will have the best line up next year.

er88
18th April 2017, 13:56
4 car team apparently mate. Sordo is a very good driver to have for manufacturer points scoring as has been shown this year.

AnttiL
18th April 2017, 14:07
Can they have four cars? Could it be a some sort of a private team? Maybe something that Nasser is rumored to be putting up?

Fast Eddie WRC
18th April 2017, 14:15
Its car #4. No doubt they will have the best line up next year.

Heard that but dont see it when only two cars count...

Simmi
18th April 2017, 14:15
Very intrigued to see how this would work and how the points-scoring would be decided. Surely you can still only nominate three cars before each event. Then take the two best of those. Big statement from Hyundai.

Fast Eddie WRC
18th April 2017, 14:29
Maybe Hyundai were worried he could go to Toyota long-term and make them a stronger opponent...

Hartusvuori
18th April 2017, 14:49
Can they have four cars? Could it be a some sort of a private team? Maybe something that Nasser is rumored to be putting up?

PARTICIPATION – MANUFACTURER
A Manufacturer:
7.2.1 Undertakes to take part in all the rallies of the Championship with a minimum of two (2) World Rally Cars complying with the 2017 Appendix J, Article 255A.
7.2.2 Wishing to score points in the Championship must register for the Championship with the FIA no later than 16 December 2016 using a registration form available from the FIA.
7.2.3 Will be awarded points according to Art. 5.3 of these regulations. For any one Manufacturer, a maximum of three (3) nominated drivers may be eligible to score points of which only the 2 best placed (see Art. 7.2.6) will score points according to their relative position. The third placed cars may neither score nor detract points from the other cars.
7.2.4 Must pay the registration fee of €319,830.
7.2.5 Must give the name of the competitor at the time of registration. This name must include the name of the car manufacturer.

The way I see, four cars is possible, but for each event they will have to nominate three to score points. Something Hyundai did last year with two nominees in a three car team.

Andre Oliveira
18th April 2017, 15:02
Same way of Bertelli and Østberg starts this year

AnttiL
18th April 2017, 15:19
https://www.motorsport.com/wrc/news/hyundai-has-best-line-up-for-2017-wrc-claims-team-boss-857517/

Alongside its three full-time drivers, Hyundai also entered Kevin Abbring for six rallies this year, the Dutchman's best result being a seventh place in Spain.

While Nandan expressed his desire to keep him at Hyundai, he admitted the Dutchman posed "a problem" because the team cannot enter a fourth car for him in 2017.

pantealex
18th April 2017, 15:40
As you all know (or should know) only manufacturers can enter WRC17 cars.
M-Sport have entered 4/5 cars already, so Hyundai can do it also.
Don´t try to say anything different.

For Team points they can only enter 3 crews but for Rally as many they want/can.

Fast Eddie WRC
18th April 2017, 15:48
As you all know (or should know) only manufacturers can enter WRC17 cars.
M-Sport have entered 4/5 cars already, so Hyundai can do it also.
Don´t try to say anything different.

For Team points they can only enter 3 crews but for Rally as many they want/can.

Yes we know this but I assume we are talking about the Manufacturer"s Ch'ship as that is where Hyundai's priorities lie. Having 4 cars doesnt make sense in that case as only two of three can score.

rallyfiend
18th April 2017, 15:49
Yes we know this but I assume we are talking about the Manufacturer"s Ch'ship as that is where Hyundai's priorities lie. Having 4 cars doesnt make sense in that case as only two of three can score.

It does if you keep 4 drivers match-fit over the season to choose from for your 3 nominated drivers.

Like they did last year with Paddon, Dani and Thierry. As has been pointed out a couple of times above....

Fast Eddie WRC
18th April 2017, 16:06
It does if you keep 4 drivers match-fit over the season to choose from for your 3 nominated drivers.

Like they did last year with Paddon, Dani and Thierry. As has been pointed out a couple of times above....

Expensive way of doing it, paying four drivers contacts when only two of them can score you points in any one event...

If that happens I wont give them any credit if they win the title.

rallyfiend
18th April 2017, 16:17
Expensive way of doing it, paying four drivers contacts when only two of them can score you points in any one event...

If that happens I wont give them any credit if they win the title.

3 drivers score points.

How have you missed that point so many times? That's the way the WRC works now....

AnttiL
18th April 2017, 16:20
is it reasonable to make the comparison to M-Sport, which operates differently to other WRC teams? I don't see a point in hiring a driver who can't win the championship or score manufacturer points. Unless he pays for it like the M-Sport guys, and Mikkelsen said he's not paying to drive.

MikeD
18th April 2017, 16:32
3 drivers score points.

How have you missed that point so many times? That's the way the WRC works now....

But only the 2 best placed drivers eligable for Manu points, score. I think you have missed that point!

Simmi
18th April 2017, 17:37
Denial from Hyundai for the moment. Nothing more than the test but let's see - http://www.autohebdo.fr/wrc/actualites/hyundai-dement-une-entree-de-mikkelsen-au-portugal-184885.html

Fast Eddie WRC
18th April 2017, 18:19
3 drivers score points.

But only the 2 best placed drivers eligable for Manu points, score. I think you have missed that point!

Exactly, thank you Mike. I'm glad someone understands.

Apology accepted Rallyfiend.

Simmi
18th April 2017, 18:30
Thinking more about this - if you could always pick 3 from 4 drivers at Hyundai - then you're basically subbing in for Sordo on some (particularly the fast) gravel rallies and then Paddon on all tarmac rounds.

For me I don't think there's any combination of 3 guys (on any round) that wouldn't include Neuville and Mikkelsen.

So Hyundai immediately go back into the territory of potentially having to hurt a driver's feelings by demoting them.

dodge33cymru
18th April 2017, 18:39
Does Paddon have a contract beyond the end of this season? If not, it may be the kick that he needs to find his form from late 2015, when he was in a similar position.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Simmi
18th April 2017, 18:42
Does Paddon have a contract beyond the end of this season? If not, it may be the kick that he needs to find his form from late 2015, when he was in a similar position.

As I understand it Neuville and Paddon have deals through 2018. As does Sordo, but media reports at the time said Hyundai also have first option for 2019 on Sordo.

er88
18th April 2017, 18:42
Hyundai will choose to nominate 3 of the 4 drivers to score pts before each rally. Then the best 2 finishers of those 3 selected drivers score manufacturer pts. Simple.

Could help Paddon actually, he's the weakest of the 4 drivers atm so he should be #4 and told to just focus on pushing hard and driving his own rally (without having to think about manufacturer pts). Let Andreas and Sordo help Neuville and Hyundai out. Paddon needs to regain his confidence fast or he will be quickly lost, and chucked into the scrap heap of nearly drivers that have went before him like Duval, Marko Martin etc. Paddon should have a word with his "mate" Neuville about how to fight back from the dumps. I still believe in him, but he's currently very poor on tarmac and has lost all pace on gravel. Unfortunately for him, that is not a good situation to be in

AnttiL
18th April 2017, 18:51
Hyundai will choose to nominate 3 of the 4 drivers to score pts before each rally.

would, not will, nothing confirmed yet and Hyundai has stated that Mikkelsen is just testing the car. The team has also stated last December that they cannot have four drivers this season, hence sacking Abbring and not even trying to get Ogier.

er88
18th April 2017, 19:01
would, not will, nothing confirmed yet and Hyundai has stated that Mikkelsen is just testing the car. The team has also stated last December that they cannot have four drivers this season, hence sacking Abbring and not even trying to get Ogier.
There is just no way Hyundai let Andreas test the car without a deal being in the pipeline for him. The only question is whether Mikkelsen gets a drive from Portugal onwards, or whether he will just take on a test and development role this season, before he starts competing from 2018 onwards. He's going to sign a long term deal with them. And Hyundai can have 4 cars, as has previously been mentioned. Abbring was let go because he wasn't good enough

AnttiL
18th April 2017, 19:02
. And Hyundai can have 4 cars, as has previously been mentioned.

The rules allow it, yes, but it's a different thing whether they have resources for it.

Fast Eddie WRC
18th April 2017, 20:29
Close friends and hear they live next door to each other in Monaco...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C9tDzjcXsAIW1kH.jpg

Rally Power
18th April 2017, 20:55
Yep, Mikkelsen joining Hyundai it's a big surprise but it makes sense to see the Koreans betting all chips to get this year championship. Citroen and Toyota clearly don’t have a driver's line up strong enough to challenge Hyundai and without Ford’s full backing MSport resources can’t be compared to those of Hyundai. Hopefully next year competition will get stronger but ’17, with now Neuville and Mikkelsen as frontrunners and Sordo and Paddon probably sharing the third car, it seems will be Hyundai’s year!

AnttiL
18th April 2017, 21:43
https://mobile.twitter.com/voiceofrally/status/854390986721689600

pretty sure this is a commercial deal. Don't exclude other offers coming in

AL14
18th April 2017, 21:51
Yep, Mikkelsen joining Hyundai it's a big surprise but it makes sense to see the Koreans betting all chips to get this year championship. Citroen and Toyota clearly don’t have a driver's line up strong enough to challenge Hyundai and without Ford’s full backing MSport resources can’t be compared to those of Hyundai. Hopefully next year competition will get stronger but ’17, with now Neuville and Mikkelsen as frontrunners and Sordo and Paddon probably sharing the third car, it seems will be Hyundai’s year!

Also they're securing Mikkelsen for the future years (and taking him from the competition). Add to it that he is a big friend of Thierry, which means less arguments inside the team...
Maybe the only cons is the fact that it will be very difficult, at this point, to eventually get Ogier next year.

Mintexmemory
18th April 2017, 21:55
Also they're securing Mikkelsen for the future years (and taking him from the competition). Add to it that he is a big friend of Thierry, which means less arguments inside the team...
Maybe the only cons is the fact that it will be very difficult, at this point, to eventually get Ogier next year.

So team orders will ensure that Thierry gets support from AM? While there is a contest that may get Hyundai the manufacturer's title I still see Ogier's consistency taking the driver contest.

AL14
18th April 2017, 21:59
So team orders will ensure that Thierry gets support from AM? While there is a contest that may get Hyundai the manufacturer's title I still see Ogier's consistency taking the driver contest.

Agree with Ogier taking WDC.
My statement about less argument was not about this year's support to Thierry. I was generally speaking. It's more likely to see them two cooperating for the team since they are close friends.

mknight
18th April 2017, 22:27
On first thought it is surprising. But on second thought it would actually make a lot of sense.
Hyundai has seen after first rallies that they have a car capable of winning manu champ, but Paddon seems out of form.
So hiring Mikkelsen as 2nd driver and switching Paddon and Sordo on gravel/tarmac would maximize their chances.

That said no contract is signed. Hearing Mikkelsen, it seems he wants a multi-year deal. Signals from Toyota are quite mixed and Citroen's program/plans has been strange for quite a while so anything can happen. The only team out of question is definitely Ford, pretty sure they have enough issues with finding money for Ogier+car development and desperate in trying to keep him for more than 1 year.
Interesting times anyway.

Fast Eddie WRC
18th April 2017, 22:49
Hyundai have been in the WRC for a while but with little real success. So it's strange now that they didnt go for Ogier, believing their existing line-up was already strong enough. But they now possibly concede they need Mikkelsen...

Either they made a big mistake not going for Ogier or their drivers have let them down and the bosses have lost patience/confidence in them.

Sulland
18th April 2017, 23:19
I am guessing Sordo will retire WRC after 2017. He has driven since 2006, and 12 years at top level is a long time!

JAM
18th April 2017, 23:54
The rumors of Andreas Mikkelsen's test with Hyundai this week in Portugal were confirmed by the brand.

Hyundai Motorsport source confirmed to SportMotores.com the test of the Norwegian driver next Friday but ruled out there is more to the future.

"This is a one-off test because we are interested in having a different point of view from one of the WRC's leading drivers on our 2017 car. And Andreas Mikkelsen is currently on the market and free to do this Test, "explained Nicoletta Russo.

"We've been in touch with him since the end of last year, and we've managed to find this date to try out the car that fits well with our test program and its commitments," said Hyundai Motorsport Communications Manager.

In closing, he made it a point to stress "our drivers are and continue to be Dani Sordo, Thierry Neuville and Hayden Paddon."

This test with Hyundai is a big surprise, as the rumors in recent days pointed to two possible scenarios: One was the entry into Toyota to replace the poorly productive Juho Hanninen; Another was a new private team that Nasser Al-Attiyah would be trying to set up this year, and would feature Mikkelsen as a team-mate.

(translated by google)

http://sportmotores.com/portal/!site.go?s=4399777916&p=.20055&id=48263

BigWorm
19th April 2017, 10:50
I am guessing Sordo will retire WRC after 2017. He has driven since 2006, and 12 years at top level is a long time!

He is under contract for 2018

Simmi
19th April 2017, 11:51
Crazy situation really with Mikkelsen. Today we have the story in MN saying Andreas is close to joining Toyota. But with pretty vague sources/info.

Then yesterday obviously the Hyundai story. The Toyota one was written first as it had to go to print a few day ago. It seems Andreas is in negotiations with both and they need to work now to get the extra car in place. Although I still think Toyota could still sideline Lappi later this year - something that the MN article referenced.

Who knows? Clearly a lot of talks behind the scenes. Also potentially a bit awkward for Evans having two stories in two days saying Mikkelsen is joining two different teams.

AnttiL
19th April 2017, 12:09
Well, Mikkelsen stated earlier that he is negotiating with all teams so there isn't really any wrong information

BigWorm
19th April 2017, 13:50
It's more likely to see them two cooperating for the team since they are close friends.

But it could add some tension in the team which no one wants. They're pretty identical in terms of pace so probably none of them would like to play second fiddle.

AnttiL
19th April 2017, 14:02
They're pretty identical in terms of pace so probably none of them would like to play second fiddle.

I would guess Neuville would have a big advance by having rallied more in WRC 2017 specs and been longer in the team.

BigWorm
19th April 2017, 14:42
I would guess Neuville would have a big advance by having rallied more in WRC 2017 specs and been longer in the team.

This season, naturally. But should they be teammates in the future.

sollitt
20th April 2017, 01:55
Hyundai has seen after first rallies that they have a car capable of winning manu champ, but Paddon seems out of form.
So hiring Mikkelsen as 2nd driver and switching Paddon and Sordo on gravel/tarmac would maximize their chances.
They same that form is temporary ... and it is. In reality Paddon's results in the 4 opening rounds are, Sweden aside, identical to last year. And Sweden was an aberration. Let's also remember that he was in a 3 way fight for P2 in the championship right until it's conclusion.
On form, Paddon is at least the equal of both Mikkelsen and Neuville.

That said, I did comment when it was apparent Mikkelsen had no drive for 2017 that Nandan should be getting his cheque book out.

AnttiL
20th April 2017, 07:55
BTW the Portugal entries were already closed on Tuesday and Mikkelsen is testing Hyundai tomorrow...I wonder when that entry list is published?

Simmi
20th April 2017, 10:37
BTW the Portugal entries were already closed on Tuesday and Mikkelsen is testing Hyundai tomorrow...I wonder when that entry list is published?

I'm sure Mikkelsen will have some form of entry lodged for the rally - even if it's just in WRC2. Then after that's its up to them to maybe get a waiver to change it. I'm sure it can be achieved.

AnttiL
20th April 2017, 10:49
Colin Clark's podcast suggests that Hyundai might want Mikkelsen to prevent other teams from getting him, or him testing Hyundai might be a reminder to Citroen and Toyota that he might be wanted elsewhere if they don't get him. There's also a crazy rumour of driving a Hyundai under Kia livery :D

Watson
20th April 2017, 12:48
They same that form is temporary ... and it is. In reality Paddon's results in the 4 opening rounds are, Sweden aside, identical to last year. And Sweden was an aberration. Let's also remember that he was in a 3 way fight for P2 in the championship right until it's conclusion.

That said, I did comment when it was apparent Mikkelsen had no drive for 2017 that Nandan should be getting his cheque book out.

I agree. Sometimes others are just in better form. You have the likes of Ogier, Neuville and Meeke who are always going to be fast unless they run into problems, then you have the other up and coming drivers who just seem to have a better run atm. So even if you are doing an average job you look a bit lost and that goes for Paddon and all the other drivers who currently look a bit disappointing, maybe apart from Levebvre who seems to have to spend a bit more time in WRC2 to get to the level of the others.

In short, you have a set of roughly 10 '17 spec word rally cars and somebody will have to fill the lower positions even if they are not doing particularly bad.

Allez Andruet
20th April 2017, 13:26
With @HMSGOfficial allowing Mikkelsen to test the i20, I can almost feel the concern in Paris and Puuppola. More offers coming his way?

Just when did Andreas Mikkelsen become Sebastien Ogier?

N.O.T
20th April 2017, 13:52
Just when did Andreas Mikkelsen become Sebastien Ogier?

its colin clark... the fact that you value his opinion is a bit worrying.

mknight
20th April 2017, 19:00

First 4 rounds last year for Paddon:
crash, 2., 5. 1.
first 4 rounds this year:
crash, 7., 5. ,6

4th event is Corsica this year instead of Argentina. Still not really identical.
"form" is how you drive during last few rounds. Not how you drove 6 months ago. Clearly Paddon does not have same "form" as Neuville this year. 0 stage wins compared with 20 for Neuville speak for themselves. It's not really possible to compare him with Mikkelsen when last time they drove same class was 6 months ago.

Mk2 RS2000
20th April 2017, 20:49
crash, 2., 5. 1.
crash, 7., 5. ,6

4th event is Corsica this year instead of Argentina. Still not really identical.
"form" is how you drive during last few rounds. Not how you drove 6 months ago. Clearly Paddon does not have same "form" as Neuville this year. 0 stage wins compared with 20 for Neuville speak for themselves. It's not really possible to compare him with Mikkelsen when last time they drove same class was 6 months ago.

I am looking forward to the event where Paddon can have a mechanical trouble free run, his overall pace and position prior to power steering failures hasn't been too bad

Zeakiwi
20th April 2017, 21:43
Half the cars sold in Norway now are hybrid/ electric http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/norway-half-new-cars-electric-hybrid-ofv-vehicle-registrations-a7615556.html Would the Norwegian public prefer to see Norwegian drivers in hybrid or electric WRC cars?

Mirek
20th April 2017, 22:26
How is that related to Andreas Mikkelsen? It's interesting question for sure (especially because the car market in Norway is anything but free competition) but it shall be asked in appropriate thread.

danon
20th April 2017, 22:38
How is that related to Andreas Mikkelsen? It's interesting question for sure (especially because the car market in Norway is anything but free competition) but it shall be asked in appropriate thread.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/ec/e8/7c/ece87ccd0bb01384609fc4223719559a.jpg

sollitt
21st April 2017, 08:39
crash, 2., 5. 1.
crash, 7., 5. ,6
Substitute actual events for round order and you have ;
2016 ... Out, 2, 5, 6
2017 ... Out, 7, 5, 6
Looks pretty similar to me, particulary when you consider last year's Sweden result was unexpected.

In respect of the remainder of your post, it can pay to remember that the season comprises significantly more than 4 events.

mknight
21st April 2017, 08:56
Sure, but then it's no longer talking about "form". If you take Mads Østberg as an example. His season in total was quite good, pointwise ahead of Tanak, close to Latvala and Sordo. But in terms of "form" he clearly wasn't very competitive in the second half of the season (be it car or driver, or a combination). This "form" is one of the main reasons he is not driving in a factory team at the moment.

Anyway this is a bit off topic here.

AnttiL
21st April 2017, 09:10
Give some slack to Paddon, the accident in Monte will probably slow him down for a while. And I'm sure the team understands that as well.

COD
21st April 2017, 09:33
One off test, more feedback from the car

https://www.facebook.com/HMSGOfficial/posts/1442235575842321:0

Watson
21st April 2017, 10:31
Give some slack to Paddon, the accident in Monte will probably slow him down for a while. And I'm sure the team understands that as well.

I hope he is seeking support from a therapist. You hear all the time how train drivers feel a lot of guilt when someone jumps on the tracks and how it chews them up. He must be feeling similary.

Simmi
21st April 2017, 13:40
So let's say we take this Hyundai statement at face value.

They are going to let a guy who is known to be deep in contractual talks with Toyota test their car for an extra point of view - beyond the 4 drivers already known to have tested that car. I get why they've come out and said it changes nothing regarding the contracted drivers - but I think there's more to this test. Just my opinion.

Tarmop
21st April 2017, 13:53
Well, he has been talking to different teams since the VWexit, testing-compeiting for Škoda and has driven and tested for a team which produced a championship-winning car for four years in a row, so...until nothing is signed, why not. Sure he`ll be back, maybe with a Hyundai, maybe with something else.

dimviii
21st April 2017, 15:10
Andreas Mikkelsen is i20 WRC testing today at the Portugal with a neutral combination http://bit.ly/2pKmerQ*

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C97vu-xXUAA2p4x.jpg

N.O.T
21st April 2017, 15:17
How hyundai is handling their WRC project is trully amazing... a GREAT professional team.

dimviii
21st April 2017, 15:19
small clips from Mikkelsens test
https://twitter.com/RallyingUK

EstWRC
24th April 2017, 19:43
i posted it in Rally Argentina thread but i think it also belongs here

Laura Cerezo‏ @lauraviajera 33m33 minutes ago

Mikkelsen will make the recce of the @rallyargentina and said that soon there will be news of his return to the @OfficialWRC

https://twitter.com/lauraviajera/status/856573202071420929

a deal with Hyundai then?

Rallyper
25th April 2017, 09:09
No, my crystal ball said Citroen ... ;)

GigiGalliNo1
25th April 2017, 16:40
I bet Citroen are still saying "No one drives the car unless they sign a contract" and I would say, Do it Andreas! Do it!!!

er88
25th April 2017, 18:26
No, my crystal ball said Citroen ... ;)
I think Citroen will go all out to sign Ogier for next year. They've always said 2018 was the year they wanted to fight for both championships and they can't win the manufacturers title with the current line up. Lefebvre is not going to be up to the required standard for them (despite fulfilling the French quota). A team of Ogier, Meeke and Breen would be superb, although I'd rather see Seb remain with Msport. However Ford have to come back for that to happen

mknight
25th April 2017, 21:38
Ford is leading both championships.
Citroen's best driver is 6th.

Ford has won 20 stages so far.
Citroen 9.

Ford needs to do comeback. Citroen is poised to win 2018. Mhmmm

AL14
25th April 2017, 22:55
The fact that Mikkelsen goes to Hyundai doesn't mean Ogier will not go to Hyundai.

pantealex
26th April 2017, 08:12
Ogier can go where ever he wants :)

Every team will say "Welcome"

EstWRC
26th April 2017, 08:27
well it wasnt the case at the end of the last year....

AnttiL
26th April 2017, 08:54
Colin Clark's podcast had Jost Capito as a guest and talked about how the teams stick to the drivers' contracts, not sacking too easily. The Hyundai and Citroen guys and Hänninen had a contract when VW called it quits, so there were not that many places for JML, Ogier and Mikkelsen to go. Of course Ogier was welcomed to both Ford and Toyota, but Hyundai said they didn't even try to get him.

Andre Oliveira
26th April 2017, 09:01
I bet Ogier will stay in Ford

AnttiL
26th April 2017, 09:11

What happens next season depends probably on how this season goes for each team. Right now, it seems all teams are pretty equal.

MikeD
26th April 2017, 09:11

I think Ogier only has one thing on his mind and that is to win the drivers title with M-Sport. If he does that, Ford will come back and Ogier will stay put. I don't see him going back to Citroën or wanting to go to Hyundai. He has won his titles with VW, so now he wants to win against the odds and become a true legend.

Simmi
26th April 2017, 09:25
Front cover of Motorsport News today sees David Evans double down and write that Hyundai are going to sign Mikkelsen, run four cars for the next two years and become the new WRC super power.

No real quotes to back this up as nobody is really going on record. Just an internal Hyundai source saying they are very interested. Vague quotes from Penasse saying they have the capability to run four cars - and it won't be a commercial deal. They have R5 for that in his words.

Couple of other bits. Mikkelsen apparently rolled on the test. I think we knew he'd done some damage. Not sure if a full roll is new info or not.

Also Penasse quoted as saying Meeke doesn't have a contract for next year? That's news to me given he signed a three-year deal - http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/122261

Apparently there are concerns in the service park that this would turn Hyundai into a VW-esque super power which made me laugh. They'd have four drivers with just eight combined victories - and still wouldn't have the quickest two guys in the championship.

Andre Oliveira
26th April 2017, 09:39
What happens next season depends probably on how this season goes for each team. Right now, it seems all teams are pretty equal.

Before VW quit, the plan was Ford back officially in 2018. Now with the best rally driver in world i don't think that will not happen.

Simmi
26th April 2017, 10:31
Before VW quit, the plan was Ford back officially in 2018. Now with the best rally driver in world i don't think that will not happen.

You have some source for this info Andre?

Simmi
26th April 2017, 10:36
Front cover of Motorsport News today sees David Evans double down and write that Hyundai are going to sign Mikkelsen, run four cars for the next two years and become the new WRC super power.

No real quotes to back this up as nobody is really going on record. Just an internal Hyundai source saying they are very interested. Vague quotes from Penasse saying they have the capability to run four cars - and it won't be a commercial deal. They have R5 for that in his words.

Couple of other bits. Mikkelsen apparently rolled on the test. I think we knew he'd done some damage. Not sure if a full roll is new info or not.

Also Penasse quoted as saying Meeke doesn't have a contract for next year? That's news to me given he signed a three-year deal - http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/122261

Apparently there are concerns in the service park that this would turn Hyundai into a VW-esque super power which made me laugh. They'd have four drivers with just eight combined victories - and still wouldn't have the quickest two guys in the championship.

Here's the news story - http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/129167/rivals-fear-hyundai-could-dominate-like-vw

tomhlord
26th April 2017, 10:59
The Meeke-related quote is intriguing. Doors open for 2018 if true.

AL14
26th April 2017, 11:26

He maybe just said it wrong. I think he just talked too much about others, he has not been correct with his opponents IMO.

Allez Andruet
26th April 2017, 11:28
Really strange if true. Meeke's deal was published at the end of 2015 as a "three-year deal".

http://www.wrc.com/en/wrc/news/december-2015/citroen-signs-meeke/page/3057--12-12-.html

wrc2017
26th April 2017, 11:50
Really strange if true. Meeke's deal was published at the end of 2015 as a "three-year deal".

http://www.wrc.com/en/wrc/news/december-2015/citroen-signs-meeke/page/3057--12-12-.html

With all due repect, Alan Panasse does not know what is in anyone's private contract, other than his own drivers.

Simmi
26th April 2017, 11:53

Have to assume it's a mistake from Penasse. And if so it shouldn't really have been published. Or at least have an editor's note added against the quote.

Andre Oliveira
26th April 2017, 12:34
You have some source for this info Andre?

Not officially. I will be not surprised if Andreas ended as Seb and Ott team mate

Watson
26th April 2017, 14:59
Not officially. I will be not surprised if Andreas ended as Seb and Ott team mate
You mean because of the money boost they'd get from official Ford support? I'm not even sure if I'd prefer Mikkelsen to Evans. Evans showed good pace, setting fastest stage times at all events but Corsica. He's been slowed down by time penalties and technical issues, as well as the DMack tyres. I reckon he'd be Tanak/Sordo/Latvala-fast were he on Michelin rubber; that's also where I assume Mikkelsen is at. So the biggest boost would be that they wouldn't have to finance the third car with DMack money.

DonJippo
26th April 2017, 15:18

Probably it is a 2+1 three-year deal both parties having an option to end it after this season.

mknight
26th April 2017, 16:41
You mean because of the money boost they'd get from official Ford support? I'm not even sure if I'd prefer Mikkelsen to Evans. Evans showed good pace, setting fastest stage times at all events but Corsica. He's been slowed down by time penalties and technical issues, as well as the DMack tyres. I reckon he'd be Tanak/Sordo/Latvala-fast were he on Michelin rubber; that's also where I assume Mikkelsen is at. So the biggest boost would be that they wouldn't have to finance the third car with DMack money.

Facts:
- Evans has won 3 stages in Monte that were dry tarmac while cold. (unclear how much tire related it is, but certainly there could be big differences in compound performance for this un-normal conditions).
- No stages won in Sweden, 2x 6th place best result
- 3 x 2km street stages won in Leon in Mexico (with gravel tires on tarmac?)
- best 1 7th place on Corsica (only worse WRC on that stage was Lefevbre 0.3 sec behind)

I wouldn't say that it shows "good pace". Where he would be on same tires is just a guess, maybe he wouldn't even get the stage wins on Monte.
Note that Evans has historically been best on tarmac and not so good on other surfaces. Reportedly this was why DMACK picked him after Mikkelsen refused to pay to drive. While it might make sense for DMACK, it's probably not a preferred choice for 2nd or 3rd manu car.

Anyway I think Mikkelsen at Ford is the least likely option atm. If Ford is going in they are unlikely to announce or sign any paper this early. Mikkelsen is impatient and wants to drive this year . So M-sport would have to use some own funds at least for the car (if not salary).
This is imo unlikely as funds are needed for testing/developing the car so that Ogier and M-sport stay on top of the standings which in turn will convince both Ogier and Ford to join for 2018.

Watson
26th April 2017, 17:30
Facts:
- Evans has won 3 stages in Monte that were dry tarmac while cold. (unclear how much tire related it is, but certainly there could be big differences in compound performance for this un-normal conditions).
- No stages won in Sweden, 2x 6th place best result
- 3 x 2km street stages won in Leon in Mexico (with gravel tires on tarmac?)
- best 1 7th place on Corsica (only worse WRC on that stage was Lefevbre 0.3 sec behind)

I wouldn't say that it shows "good pace". Where he would be on same tires is just a guess, maybe he wouldn't even get the stage wins on Monte.
Note that Evans has historically been best on tarmac and not so good on other surfaces. Reportedly this was why DMACK picked him after Mikkelsen refused to pay to drive. While it might make sense for DMACK, it's probably not a preferred choice for 2nd or 3rd manu car.
Touché. My memory has really failed me here.

er88
26th April 2017, 18:30
Meeke has a contract for next year 100%. Citroen wouldn't sack one of the fastest, if not thee fastest driver in the WRC and Meeke would be happy to work with Seb in same team (if that does end up happening). He feels he can beat anyone and Seb isn't a problem to work with.

Fast Eddie WRC
26th April 2017, 21:22
Time for a Pickems on where Mikkelsen will go ? ;)

stefanvv
26th April 2017, 21:40
Time for a Pickems on where Mikkelsen will go ? ;)

My money on WRC:D

Andre Oliveira
26th April 2017, 22:01
M-Sport

AnttiL
27th April 2017, 09:40
https://www.rallye-magazin.de/wrc/artikel/d/2017/04/26/vierter-hyundai-wrc-fuer-mikkelsen/

Michael Nandan repeats here that Mikkelsen is not joining the Hyundai team and they will not add a fourth car.

Watson
27th April 2017, 10:09
https://www.rallye-magazin.de/wrc/artikel/d/2017/04/26/vierter-hyundai-wrc-fuer-mikkelsen/

Michael Nandan repeats here that Mikkelsen is not joining the Hyundai team and they will not add a fourth car.

'Michel Nandan: „Andreas wird in keins der drei aktuellen Werksautos steigen, noch werden wir ein viertes Auto für ihn einsetzen, oder planen mit einem anderen Fahrer. Der Aufwand steht in keinem Verhältnis zum Ertrag. Zudem ist das Team mit all seinen Projekten ausgelastet.“'

Michel Nandan: "Andreas is not going to drive one of the three ['17] cars, neither will we provide a fourth car for him nor any other driver. The [return of investment] would not be enough. Moreover, the team is working to capacity with all of its projects."

That sounds like a clear no at least for this season.

mknight
27th April 2017, 10:16
Weird, what was the point of the test drive then?

I cant imagine how he could un-convince them during one day in a completely unknown car. Drive backwards in 1st only?

If its not that then why would they let him drive it. Sure they get some feedback for development, but how much value is it really. Not like the Polo 2017 fully developed and proved fast car to compare with.

And if he signs someone else you risk some knowledge transfer.

AnttiL
27th April 2017, 10:19
I would assume Latvala's and Ogier's know-how from VW helped them make their cars faster, so maybe Hyundai tried to get some of that know-how from Mikkelsen? And at the same time the test was useful for Mikkelsen to get more experience from 2017 cars and to keep his name on the headlines. Win-win?

Watson
27th April 2017, 10:25
I would assume Latvala's and Ogier's know-how from VW helped them make their cars faster, so maybe Hyundai tried to get some of that know-how from Mikkelsen?
I was thinking the same thing. And/or maybe to gain sympathies with Mikkelsen for future negotiations.

Simmi
27th April 2017, 11:06
Do Nandan and Penasse talk to each other? They seem to come out with conflicting quotes most weeks.

jparker
27th April 2017, 13:14
I would assume Latvala's and Ogier's know-how from VW helped them make their cars faster, so maybe Hyundai tried to get some of that know-how from Mikkelsen? And at the same time the test was useful for Mikkelsen to get more experience from 2017 cars and to keep his name on the headlines. Win-win?

Transfer know-how just after one testing session? Not sure if that's possible, but to me looks unlikely.
Same goes for Mikkelsen getting experience with WRC17 cars.

My guess Hyundai were hoping to get him for cheap, but Mikkelsen is not willing to make any discounts. He probably wouldn't hesitate two months ago, but now it is different.

mknight
27th April 2017, 16:31
First explanation that I see as possible. After one test session the development feedback from Mikkelsen has to be extremely limited, so it would make sense. Also fits with "return of investment" quote.

Tbh it's not like Hyundai really needs him to charge for both titles this season. No chance for him in driver champs with the point deficit and they already have the most balanced team. So they decided to wait a bit more, possibly hoping that nobody else signs him long-term in the next few months anyway. That is for sure true for Ford, possibly also for Toyota since they want to see after Portugal +1 maybe one rally more how Lappi does. Citroen I honestly have no idea. The whole management of that team seems less that brilliant. (stay out most of 1 year to develop the car and "forget" to develop it for Monte and Sweden, complain about not enough available drivers then not sign any of the 3 VW drivers).

er88
27th April 2017, 17:36
Do Nandan and Penasse talk to each other? They seem to come out with conflicting quotes most weeks.
Just all part of the game. I wouldn't believe any of eithers recent remarks