PDA

View Full Version : Which rally games to buy?

Allyc85
27th November 2008, 18:50
As theres no decent rally games for the ps3 im looking at buying some rally games for my PC. Sooo which rally games would you guys recomend that are compatible with Vista and play well with a joy pad?

52Paddy
27th November 2008, 19:13
I'm not sure if these following games work with Vista, but they certainly work on XP Home Edition, with varied results:

Colin McRae Rally 2.0
Richard Burns Rally
Mobil 1 Rally Championship

I'd say the very first Colin McRae game is good on PC too but the demo didn't work for me. I think its only compatible on Windows 95/98. I'd say adjustments can be made to make it run on later spec computers if you're interested.

As a side note, I would avoid any of the later Colin McRae series games if your more of the sim racing kind. They car physics, in my opinion, are awful and the whole feel of the game just doesn't do it for me. Toca Race Driver 2 and 3 also include rallying segments but, again, they're an awful addition if you ask me.

Allyc85
29th November 2008, 21:14
Ive heard good things about Richard Burns Rally. Id love Rally championship to work on Vista but with its age I doubt it will.

Any more suggestions people?

PuddleJumper
1st December 2008, 23:58
You can't go wrong with Richard Burns Rally, but you will need a decent set of wheel and pedals to get the most out of it. There's a wide selection of new cars and liveries available and even a few good new stages created by the sim racing community.

tmx
3rd December 2008, 09:24
Richard Burns Rally is the final stop. You will need steering wheels for it, the Logitech Momo is a good choice, but the G25 is better although too expensive. I prefer the Logitech Momo wheel for this game because it has the inline shifting stick which you can use as handbrakes, but it's pedals are nowhere are good as the G25 and has problems sticking to the carpet unless you nail it down. There is a plugin you can download that enable H gearbox configuration to work with the G25 which is great. Even though it is said to be a realistic game it still took me a while to get used to the physic, after it clicks you get some great fun.

The RBR dvd case is advertised to work with Vista. This game is actaully the only single thing right now that is preventing me from stop using Windows completely, because currently with Ubuntu the trees are invisible and keys have to remap each time the game start.

Avoid new Colin McRae games at all cost. I have a very big personal problems with these new Codemaster games that I boycott them. From Toca Racing 3 ultra cheating AI to Dirt's incapability of moving saved datas between computers.

PuddleJumper
5th December 2008, 13:38
I prefer the Logitech Momo wheel for this game because it has the inline shifting stick which you can use as handbrakes
The G25 gear shift can be changed from H-pattern to sequential and can thus be used as the handbrake.

I run RBR on Vista and have experienced very few problems. I did have that problem you mentioned about having to reconfigure the keys every time you start the game, but that was because some directory was missing on my install. Once I'd created it, the settings file was saved there and no more problem.

In addition to skins and stages, you can also download improved physics and handling settings, better internal views and even a night mod so you can drive all the stages in the dark!

tmx
7th December 2008, 09:58
The G25 gear shift can be changed from H-pattern to sequential and can thus be used as the handbrake.

see the 40th second of this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjA7ZcKHWXc) why i disagree. good thing the steering wheel shorted and died on me pretty soon after i bought it so i didn't have to handbrake like that for too long.

PuddleJumper
9th December 2008, 21:27
I don't know what that person was doing, but that's not how mine works. For starters, mine is fastened to my desk as close to the wheel as possible so I barely take my hand off the wheel. Then, to apply the handbrake all I have to do is flick the lever back, as though changing up a gear with a sequential gearstick, and that's it.

J4MIE
9th December 2008, 22:40
Yup I have mine set up the same, you just need to pull back on the gear stick as if pulling the handbrake, and using the paddles for changing gears. I'm still having trouble with the throttle though, it is fine for GB, USA and Australia but the other events....forget it :s

Jonathan what stages have you downloaded? I only got the Portugal SSS working :confused:

Allyc85
10th December 2008, 22:10
Nooo my D drive has just broken. It fails to spin up and makes a noise like its jammed. Only had the pc a couple months so will have to send it back :(

tmx
12th December 2008, 11:50
well you still have the C drive dont you? just buy another harddrive.

Allyc85
12th December 2008, 11:56
How would the hard drive affect, the CD drive? I cant mess around with things as it would affect the warrenty!

MrJan
12th December 2008, 12:57
How would the hard drive affect, the CD drive? I cant mess around with things as it would affect the warrenty!

Most new computers have 2 hard drives, a C and a D so CD or DVD drive is E I assume this is what TMX meant :)

Ramore
14th December 2008, 19:34
As theres no decent rally games for the ps3 im looking at buying some rally games for my PC.

My brother just bought PS3, so I was looking for a rally game to buy myself as a Christmas gift. I found only one, Sega Rally Revo, but it is acrade game which I don't like. Are you saying that I should stop looking for a nice rally game, and buy Call of Duty instead?

hoofhearted
22nd December 2008, 13:07
sorry to sound stupiud i am new to this but i was wondering what is the process to download new cars, skins and cockpit views

Many thanks

jonas_mcrae
22nd December 2008, 13:14
My brother just bought PS3, so I was looking for a rally game to buy myself as a Christmas gift. I found only one, Sega Rally Revo, but it is acrade game which I don't like. Are you saying that I should stop looking for a nice rally game, and buy Call of Duty instead?

Get COD4 and don't look back!

(get a PC if you want rally games...)

Allyc85
25th February 2009, 19:28
Will colin mcrae 2.0 work on Vista?

Ramore
25th February 2009, 20:35
Will colin mcrae 2.0 work on Vista?

Yes, it works fine.

Allyc85
25th February 2009, 21:21
Thanks, will get it ordered :D

Ramore
25th February 2009, 21:58
How much is it, if i may ask. I got my copy for just 3 euros.

lcd
26th February 2009, 06:25
You should start playing RBR BUT be warned:This Isn't an arcade game!
At the beginning you may find It very hard , but after hours of practice ( like In real life ) you will find out how talented driver Richard was , by making this game so real....So lucky we have RBR!

Ramore
26th February 2009, 10:31
I completely agree with LCD. The most realistic game i have ever played, and for that reason very difficult.

I am not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I have a problem with my Logitech MOMO Racing Wheel. The problem is that is stopped working (therefore I can't play RBR anymore. The problem is that the windows says that it don't recognize the wheel. I have tried on more that 5 computers running on Vista or Xp. Still the same. I tried to contact Logitech but they didn't help me at all. They don't even provide repair services for it. Since I live in Rotterdam, The Netherlands, I was wondering if some of the Dutch people here can give an advice about a possible place where they can fix it.

urabus-denoS2000
26th February 2009, 13:30
RBR,RBR,and only RBR........

You can't believe how real it is ;)

Ramore:I am driving on the Logitech MOMO and I have no problems with it.
Did you run the recognition software?
There should be no problems....

Ramore
26th February 2009, 13:59
I have tried several times on several computers. I guess there is a hardware problem, but I don't know where it can be fixed. i tried 4 or 5 different repair shops, but no one wants to even look what the problem might be.

urabus-denoS2000
26th February 2009, 14:09
The problem must be in the whell then....

Well you are protected by law as a costumer so....

Ramore
26th February 2009, 15:03
Yep, but I bought it almost 5 years ago, so the warranty has already expired. It is pretty old, but most of the time it was in the box.

pino
26th February 2009, 15:54
A part from RBR I recommend both WRC3 and WRC4 :up: :D

lcd
26th February 2009, 16:16
It's funny but every rally gamer who respects himself , always return to RBR!
I've spent thousand of hours playing all traditional rally racing games there are In the market, and I'm telling you nothing can be compared with RBR ( exept WRCIII & IV , but we're not talking about PS. Has anyone heard anything about EVOLUTION studios , makers of WRC series? Seems they've disappeared after RALLY - tragedy - Evolved!) :confused:

Allyc85
26th February 2009, 17:39
I cant install RBR, every time it comes up with..

"The system is not using Small Fonts. In order to view this installation you need to change your system to display Small Fonts"

How do I change this on Vista?

Cheers.

Ramore
27th February 2009, 12:35
That's strange. I have installed RBR on Vista last week and it didn't show that problem.
But you can try adjust the fonts size by right clicking the desktop, then personalize. In the left column is a link that says Adjust Font Size (DPI)
OR
Righ click on the desktop and again click Personalize. Click the "Window Color and Appearance" link. Click the "Open classic appearance properties for more color options" link. An "Appearance Settings" window will open. Click the "Advanced" button. Using the "Item" dropdown menu, look at the options that font sizes associated with it. (adopted from google).
OR
Re-install your windows

Allyc85
27th February 2009, 16:44
Ideal got it installed, thanks for that :)

Only problem now is theres no audio pace notes, just the logos on the screen!? Probably another simple fix but how do I get the co-driver to shout notes at me? :)

Thanks.

Ramore
28th February 2009, 14:06
I don't have it installed right now (since my wheel is not working, there is no point), but you should be able to fix that somewhere from the settings, or look at the sound settings.

urabus-denoS2000
28th February 2009, 21:37
Just played Dirt on my friends PC and I can say that if you are for rallys DO NOT buy this game!

It's basically an arcade.
The colors are boring,everything is gray.
It is just braking from 150 km/h to do some drifts and then continue.I'm sorry but that's not what I want.

And the last detail that really kills this game (at least for the rallying part).
There is no codriver!!!!

I think that the late great Colin McRae wouldn't allow this at all.

pino
1st March 2009, 11:35
Just played Dirt on my friends PC and I can say that if you are for rallys DO NOT buy this game!

It's basically an arcade.
The colors are boring,everything is gray.
It is just braking from 150 km/h to do some drifts and then continue.I'm sorry but that's not what I want.

And the last detail that really kills this game (at least for the rallying part).
There is no codriver!!!!

I think that the late great Colin McRae wouldn't allow this at all.

Unfortunatelly it looks like Dirt2 won't be any better for us rallyfans :(

Allyc85
1st March 2009, 12:14
Dirt is terrible. Im not even looking forward to the second one, especially after playing RBR :)

urabus-denoS2000
1st March 2009, 12:23
Nothing is as good as RBR ;)

I would also reccomend CMR 5, I like it (didn't play 3 & 4 though).

Agree that WRC 3 & 4 are very good

Frozzy
1st March 2009, 14:37
Has anyone heard anything about EVOLUTION studios , makers of WRC series? Seems they've disappeared after RALLY - tragedy - Evolved!) :confused:
Evolution studio made the Motorstorm games on the PS3 but no proper rally games since :rolleyes:

Allyc85
2nd March 2009, 20:43
I don't have it installed right now (since my wheel is not working, there is no point), but you should be able to fix that somewhere from the settings, or look at the sound settings.

Ive had a look at the sound settings and played with the pace not settings too but still I dont get anything :(

Also really annoyed that my progress in the rally school wasnt saved the other day!

lujanbio
3rd March 2009, 20:33
I think that the best game is the Richard Burns rally because is the most real and you can update with new mods. The problem is that without steering wheel is very complicated to drive. So, to play with pad I recomend the colin MCrae Dirt.

steve_spackman
7th April 2009, 20:35
news about the new so called Colin Mcrae rally game..

pathetic!!!

http://www.dirt2game.com/

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/46137.html?type=wmv

Back-N-Black
19th April 2009, 01:23
Yes, it works fine.

Are there any tricks to it? I just did the full install on my new Vista Home Premium and when I try to start the game it doesn't do anything. CPU goes up and then down and nothing.