PDA

View Full Version : Ilmor Favoured To Win Fia F1 Engine Tender

CNR
26th November 2008, 21:58
http://www.tsn.ca/auto_racing/story/?id=257389&lid=headline&lpos=secStory_auto_racing

Ilmor is reportedly the front runner to develope and build Formula One engines should the FIA decide to go to a standard engine formula.
According to the German publication Auto, Motor und Sport, Ilmor is one several contractors who have responded to FIA's invitation to tender along with Cosworth, Mecachrome, Zytek and Judd. None of the current Formula One manufacturers are expected to submit a proposal.

this will not work the team that has designed the best aero package will always win. *&^%en good way to kill f1

why kill prodrive with running a year old car and then think of stuff like this.

yodasarmpit
26th November 2008, 22:10
Say goodbye to Mercedes, Ferrari, Renault, BMW, Toyota and Honda.

Powered by Cosworth
26th November 2008, 22:16
It'll probably end up in the F2 programme (if it ever happens that is)

Ferrari...Powered by Ilmor-Mecedes Benz. Yeah that'll happen.

It's official, the FIA are on crack.

V12
26th November 2008, 22:26
Surely the "winner" of this tender thing would have their reputation tarnished though? Guilt by association and all that? One could only hope anyway.

It's official, the FIA are on crack.

I think quite a few crack cocaine users would find that comment grossly offensive.

Jag_Warrior
26th November 2008, 22:49
The way the article is written, this is the Ilmor remnant that was sold to Roger Penske and friends, and I believe it's still based in Plymouth, Michigan. Mercedes renamed their portion of Ilmor: Mercedes-Benz High Peformance Engines.

Good grief. Maybe we'd be better off with Max's wife and Slavica making all the decisions from now on. I mean really, could they do any worse???!!!

ShiftingGears
26th November 2008, 22:57
Dreadful.

Ranger
26th November 2008, 23:56
Goodbye F1.

Easy Drifter
27th November 2008, 00:57
if it ever happens (which I doubt) we will be back to 8 to 14 F1 grids as it was in the 50's with lower formulas added to fill a pathetic field.

ioan
27th November 2008, 08:57
If it ever happens Ferrari will say Bye Bye F1, welcome real racing.

AndyRAC
27th November 2008, 09:09

What, the ALMS/LMS??
I'd like to see that- were the sport comes first. :up:

27th November 2008, 09:12
Just one thing.....since it is a tender, and as such should be strictly regulated with no indication of preference from the issuer of that tender....there should not be a 'favourite'.

ioan
27th November 2008, 09:31

BDunnell
27th November 2008, 09:32
Just one thing.....since it is a tender, and as such should be strictly regulated with no indication of preference from the issuer of that tender....there should not be a 'favourite'.

But in any tender it is perfectly possible — and, I feel, reasonable — for others outside the process, such as journalists and analysts, to make an assessment as to who the favourite is.

My interest in F1 would wane completely in the event of a standard engine formula. Ferrari's objections are absolutely right.

Tallgeese
27th November 2008, 10:00
It seems that FIA & Mosley are keen on destroying F1 for reasons best known to themselves.

When you think about it, most teams manufacture their own engines by choice with only four constructors (Williams, Force India, Red Bull and Toro Rosso) acquiring 'customer engines' where Ferrari, McLaren-Mercedes, BMW Sauber, Renault, Toyota & Honda manufacture their own engines. Obviously if it's six versus four then why on earth is there an attempt to appease the four?

Tallgeese
27th November 2008, 10:06
Obviously teams make conscience decisions. Lotus decided to acquire customer engines as opposed to manufacturing their own. The only time Ferrari collaborated with anyone (I believe once with Massariti & another time with FIAT before the latter's eventual take-over of Ferrari) on an engine, but the rules in F1 have always been that you must design+build your own chassis minus the engine+transmission. Naturally teams decide what is the best path to take, not FIA or whoever.

27th November 2008, 16:54
But in any tender it is perfectly possible — and, I feel, reasonable — for others outside the process, such as journalists and analysts, to make an assessment as to who the favourite is.

My interest in F1 would wane completely in the event of a standard engine formula. Ferrari's objections are absolutely right.

Well, yes, my point exactly....it's nothing more than a hunch by a journalist. To claim that Illmor is favoured is just a guess, so not really a news story.

Now, if the FIA had gone on record as saying that the favourite for the tender is Illmor, then that would be a news story!

F1boat
28th November 2008, 06:39
F1 is dying a horrible death with this and the medals. I am very saddened.

ArrowsFA1
28th November 2008, 08:20
What happens when/if the tender is awarded? The FIA haven't (yet) imposed a standard engine formula on the teams and discussions appear to be going on on that front, so say Ilmor (or whoever) "win" what will they have "won"? The title of Pawn in a Political Game perhaps?

PolePosition_1
28th November 2008, 11:15
I can't see it happening. I think this is just the FIA pushing their weight around to force the teams into finding a compromise everyone is satisfied with.

Robinho
28th November 2008, 12:31
medals and standard engines = madness

what we will actually get as a compromise should hopefully be far closer to sanity, i hope the FIA and Bernie are only playing with the teams to get their less radical proposals through the back door, although part of me hopes everything goes through and the teams leave, leaving the FIA and Bernie with nothing to market and start defaulting on their contracts with circuits - how will Bernie cope when he owes the circuits for not being able to deliver the priomised F1 races as per the contract!

winer
28th November 2008, 23:55
The way the article is written, this is the Ilmor remnant that was sold to Roger Penske and friends, and I believe it's still based in Plymouth, Michigan. Mercedes renamed their portion of Ilmor: Mercedes-Benz High Peformance Engines.

Is it possible that this is a ploy to get North America back into the F1 scene? A way of putting pressure on all parties to make a race happen in Canada or the US?

Roamy
29th November 2008, 01:31
freaking mop head and pervert should go start a new cHAMP car series.

CNR
29th November 2008, 01:33
? concord agreement the last info i can find is the Concorde agreement which expire in 2007

http://rocketcar.blogspot.com/2005/02/grand-prix-world-championship-gpwc.html

GPWC was formed to alter these economics and restore more control to the teams themselves. Based on information made public this weekend, GPWC is talking about providing up to 80% to the teams.

The tactic was working until Ferrari’s decision 2 weeks ago to abandon GPWC and sign an extension of the current Concord Agreement. As the premier brand in F1, they have demanded the lion’s share of the revenue. It looks like Bernie has done just that.

Why is Max Mosley slating A1 Grand Prix? (http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2006/02/15/why-is-max-mosley-slating-a1-grand-prix/)

“In the end what (the fans) like to watch is the big names…That is the things the teams often forget, you could run some quite ordinary cars and still have the public.” Max Mosley criticised A1 Grand Prix thus earlier this week, criticising the series for not boasting enough top-line names to be able to compete with Formula One.
But why criticise the series? Does he genuinely feel it threatens Formula One’s place as the most popular form of motorsport? Could he perhaps be a little jealous of the quality of racing A1 has provided in its first season? But most of all, as someone whose job is to promote motorsport, why on earth is he slagging it off in public?
He also criticised the presence of teams from countries that lack motor racing heritage, then went on to suggest later this week suggested that Formula One’s next new venue couid be India.

markabilly
29th November 2008, 01:42
It seems that FIA & Mosley are keen on destroying F1 for reasons best known to themselves.

When you think about it, most teams manufacture their own engines by choice with only four constructors (Williams, Force India, Red Bull and Toro Rosso) acquiring 'customer engines' where Ferrari, McLaren-Mercedes, BMW Sauber, Renault, Toyota & Honda manufacture their own engines. Obviously if it's six versus four then why on earth is there an attempt to appease the four?

and so if it goes, it should go to some company not currently making an f1 engine, so none of the six should be bothered/upset and they should continue to pour out money to demonstrate their great skills in designing wings and performing pit stops.....yeah baby, u go dudes......

and they were singing, bye bye miss american pie....