PDA

View Full Version : Wales Rally GB Old "new" stages spectator tips

Simmi
24th November 2008, 16:42
Ok so the mid-Wales stages are back in the event this year for the first time in a while. I was just looking for a bit of local knowledge on good spots etc.

My thinking is Sweetlamb might be the busier of the stages, so I'm planning to go to the first stage in Hafren. What is everyone else doing?

Looking at the pathetic bit of map you get on the website/planner, does anyone know what would be the best direction to walk into the stage from the spectator car park/area?

http://www.walesrallygb.com/308_599.php

It's sad really how little information you get about the stage itself. They do their best to try and pen you into one area by pretending there is just one viewing spot.

I looked at my old programmes but I couldnt find anything of anything of use. So if anyone has a map or any knowledge of the stage it would be greatly appreciated.

fastboy
24th November 2008, 18:35
go to myherin.from the car park part of the stage go 2 miles in the stage direction towards the windmills.Great open viewing.

alexlake
24th November 2008, 18:58
Wish I was going for the friday, cant get time off work though!

Looking forward to sat and sun though, and AVOIDING the hill at Halfway!!

Allyc85
24th November 2008, 19:35
Il be going to sweetlamb even though I know itl be busy. Its the stage ive always wanted them to bring back so itl be there by the water splash.

lol I had forgotten which stage had the massive hill to walkup, il be avoiding it this year!

AndyRAC
24th November 2008, 21:42
I got my old RAC maps out from 1994/95 - and the stage was Sweetlamb Hafren - all one stage, about 22 miles. Have just watched the in car of McRae in Hafren in 1994 and there are spectators all the way through. Sadly, it will not be like that this year. I'll hopefully be going to the Nant Melen hairpin -which I did in 1995/97/2000 - but I expect it to be crazy as that seems the only 'spectator area' - what a joke - if you don't get there early enough, you can't see anything. While I understand the reasons, they are misguided - you should be able to spread out.

Simmi
25th November 2008, 13:32
I got my old RAC maps out from 1994/95 - and the stage was Sweetlamb Hafren - all one stage, about 22 miles. Have just watched the in car of McRae in Hafren in 1994 and there are spectators all the way through. Sadly, it will not be like that this year. I'll hopefully be going to the Nant Melen hairpin -which I did in 1995/97/2000 - but I expect it to be crazy as that seems the only 'spectator area' - what a joke - if you don't get there early enough, you can't see anything. While I understand the reasons, they are misguided - you should be able to spread out.

I think I will stand at the hairpin on the second run as it is near the car park. Im definately going to get there early and walk into Hafren for the first run. I think it will just be a snap decision which way i go once I get on the stage. Hopefully it will be a clear morning, there seems to have been a fair bit of fog about for the past couple of years.

Actually AndyRAC do you know if there is anything worth seeing before or after the hairpin in the stage?

AndyRAC
25th November 2008, 15:25
I think I will stand at the hairpin on the second run as it is near the car park. Im definately going to get there early and walk into Hafren for the first run. I think it will just be a snap decision which way i go once I get on the stage. Hopefully it will be a clear morning, there seems to have been a fair bit of fog about for the past couple of years.

Actually AndyRAC do you know if there is anything worth seeing before or after the hairpin in the stage?

Not sure, they no longer show the maps of the stages to spectators - don't want spectators straying away from the 'viewing areas'. Will have a look at the old maps when I get home.

MrJan
25th November 2008, 15:46
This is exactly why I spent my money last weekend to go to the RAC and can't be arse with this. WRC is a joke these days.

dyfi1
25th November 2008, 16:23
There`s good `in-car` of Hafren and Myherin stages (full length) from 2007 and 2008 Welsh Historic Stages Rally on http://www.martymccorrmack.com Sweet Lamb is only 5.1 km and the finish is in the bowl area before the `ford` this year.

dyfi1
25th November 2008, 17:35
My bad, it`s http://www.martymccormack.com , one `r` in McCormack. Sorry.

Simmi
25th November 2008, 18:05
My bad, it`s http://www.martymccormack.com , one `r` in McCormack. Sorry.

Thanks for the videos they will be really helpful. You dont happen to know which of the 2008 videos is Hafren do you (top or bottom)? I cant find the stage details for the rally on the internet anywhere.

I am thinking maybe the top one on the 2008 page (Stage 3) - the hairpin right at the very end?
http://www.rallymax.tv/martymccomack/gallery_video_2008_05_mid_wales.htm

dyfi1
25th November 2008, 20:04
@ Simmi

The hairpin in the video is not the one on WRGB Hafren stage. It is very similar though. I recced the hairpin myself a couple of week ends ago..... IMHO only average viewing.

Simmi
25th November 2008, 20:10
@ Simmi

The hairpin in the video is not the one on WRGB Hafren stage. It is very similar though. I recced the hairpin myself a couple of week ends ago..... IMHO only average viewing.

Thanks dyfi1. The spectator areas do tend to be only average from a viewing perspective. The only reason I ask is because that is where I will be entering the stage. Did you see if there was anything before or beyond the hairpin that looked decent?

dyfi1
25th November 2008, 20:21
@ Simmi

After the hairpin the road follows the valley floor, and it`s wooded. Above the hairpin, and beyond where the spectators car park road comes out, is a dissused quarry and a very fast crest/ kink left which is the start of the long down hill to the hairpin. The road steepens for last 30mts into hairpin. 200mts beyond the disused quarry is a long long left hander..... but that`ll be beyond the tapes no doubt.

Simmi
25th November 2008, 20:41
@ Simmi

After the hairpin the road follows the valley floor, and it`s wooded. Above the hairpin, and beyond where the spectators car park road comes out, is a dissused quarry and a very fast crest/ kink left which is the start of the long down hill to the hairpin. The road steepens for last 30mts into hairpin. 200mts beyond the disused quarry is a long long left hander..... but that`ll be beyond the tapes no doubt.

Thanks for the info mate that's just what I wanted to know I appreciate it.

dyfi1
25th November 2008, 20:58
Thanks for the info mate that's just what I wanted to know I appreciate it.

Glad to help. Incidentaly, Myherin stage starts off A44 just below Eisteddfa Gurig and goes into `Pikes Peak` style with with wide hairpin after wide hairpin. great viewing, but there seems to be no spectator access....... and then goes straight over Cefn Croes towards the wind farm. All open moorland.

AndyRAC
25th November 2008, 23:08
Glad to help. Incidentaly, Myherin stage starts off A44 just below Eisteddfa Gurig and goes into `Pikes Peak` style with with wide hairpin after wide hairpin. great viewing, but there seems to be no spectator access....... and then goes straight over Cefn Croes towards the wind farm. All open moorland.

The best parts of stages are normally Non Spectator nowadays - you get sent to the same tired old junctions/sections. C'mon - give us some variety, please!!