View Full Version : BBC confirm whole TV team

Somebody
24th November 2008, 13:35
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/7745347.stm

Presenter: Jake Humphrey
Commentators: Jonathan Legard & Martin Brundle
Pit lane: Ted Kravitz & Lee McKenzie
Pundits: David Coulthard & Eddie Jordan

If Humphrey is the guy I'm thinking of, his voice really annoys me. Kravitz is a bit of a surprise - I thought Brundle was the only ITV guy moving across. No other surprises.

Otherwise, Murray's apparently doing a column for the Beeb website.

52Paddy
24th November 2008, 13:38
I still think it will beat ITV coverage. Though I would have liked the Ben Edwards/John Watson duo on the microphones.

Mark
24th November 2008, 13:56
I'm pleased Ted Kravitz is staying. I'd always thought that adside from Brundle he was the strongest part of the ITV team, he always comes across as knowing what he's talking about!

wedge
24th November 2008, 14:24
I'm wondering whether Jake Humphries *genuinely* likes F1/motorsport even though he does a magnificent job for NFL. Apart from stints on Football Focus, the poor guy has been stuck with kids telly and minority sports for well over a decade.

Knock-on
24th November 2008, 15:25
So, PitPiss managed to get the obvious ones with their "official" release :laugh:

Dave B
24th November 2008, 15:27
You'll notice that news about HD is conspicuous by its absense. It looked like a given, but I'm informed that Bernie is dragging his heels.

MrJan
24th November 2008, 16:03
Lee McKenzie is irritating, Jake Humphries always seems like he's still presenting to kids, and Eddie Jordan is a prune. Thankfully the Legard/Brundle duo should be good and that's the main thing :)

christophulus
24th November 2008, 16:18
Pretty much the best line up we could have hoped for. I'm particularly glad Ted Kravitz has been brought over.. though I'll be honest that I have no idea who Lee McKenzie is. I doubt she'll be any worse than Louise Goodman or James Allen though!

Dave B
24th November 2008, 16:21
Lee McKenzie is the daughter of Daily Express motorsport columnist Bob McKenzie, and has had some motorsport presenting experience. She's pretty good, to be fair. Holly Samos, familiar from the Five Live coverage, was in the running but is due to give birth early next year so ruled herself out to be with her family.

AndySpeed
24th November 2008, 17:10
It sounds like a good line up, and I'm sure many people will be glad that James Allen is no longer going to be commentating on the F1. It will be interesting to see how Coulthard does, but I'm expecting him to be very good already, he was always great when interviewed by the ITV team etc.

Allyc85
24th November 2008, 17:17
Disapointed that Ted Kravitz has moved to the BBC the bloke is an idiot. the rest of the team seems ok though :)

inimitablestoo
24th November 2008, 17:21
You'll notice that news about HD is conspicuous by its absense. It looked like a given, but I'm informed that Bernie is dragging his heels.

Well, he's not exactly going to be flattered by HD now is he? ;)

Nor are those 2009 F1 cars tbh... :eek:

woody2goody
24th November 2008, 18:44
Kravitz is good when he's not presenting with an autocue. He can describe the action in the pit lane well. I wonder if James Allen would have been a good pundit as I don't like Eddie Jordan's attitude too much. I would have preferred Damon Hill or Anthony Davidson.

Jake Humphrey did a pretty good job with the American Football with the legend that is Mike Carlson, but I wonder whether he really understands F1 like Steve Rider does. But hey, let's give him a shot. I'm quite happy with this overall.

VkmSpouge
24th November 2008, 19:13
Martin Brundle and Jonathan Legard as the commentary team is good. David Coulthard and Eddie Jordan are decent choices for pundits. I know nothing about Jake Humphrey and Lee McKenzie. Ted Kravitz...that's a surprise...

Garry Walker
24th November 2008, 19:26
Lee McKenzie is the daughter of Daily Express motorsport columnist Bob McKenzie, and has had some motorsport presenting experience.
Will she run naked around Silverstone too?

BDunnell
24th November 2008, 23:34
Not a bad line-up, though I'm very unsure of Jake Humphrey's credentials for the role. He's not a poor sports presenter, but he's no Rider. And I'm just a tad dubious about Jonathan Legard, too. Anyway, we'll see how they do. Coulthard and Brundle will doubtless be excellent.

AndyRAC
25th November 2008, 08:06
Quite a few people seem to be worried about Legard, it's the same on the BBC forums - he was the first BBC Motorsport correspondent, as opposed to Motor Racing commentator. A position that no longer exits sadly, as it's brief included WRC, BTCC, Le Mans. I've got no real problem with him.

PolePosition_1
25th November 2008, 08:27
Anyone got pictures of the crew? Off top my head I only know the regulars, other than that I'm not too sure on them, though would probably recognise them.

I'm hopeful we'll see an improvement, but if we're judging them on their previous stint hosting F1, I can see it going down. But with ITV improvement expectations, I'm hopeful we'll see a further increase.

Unfortunately, ITVs biggest let down.....their Hamilton love for past 2 seasons, will probably continue over onto the BBC website if we look at their features on the website.

acescribe
25th November 2008, 11:43
I'm pretty sure Jake Humphrey wont be any more annoying than Jim Rosenthal was on ITV between 97 and 05! He was a sports presenter with minimal F1 knowledge - nobody really knows whether Humphrey has or hasnt. At least it wasnt Adrian Chiles or Richard Hammond. Lets give him a chance.

I cant see why people are worried about Jonthan Legard either. Yes he has been away covering Football for the past few years, and isnt well known on the TV, but he'll be fine he knows who is who and what is what in F1 and motor racing in general.

Much I have found him a bit too cheesy sometimes with his fill-in parts for F1 on ITV I'm actually glad that Ted Kravitz has moved across too, as two pit lane reporters, one at the front and one at the back are what is needed for good coverage.

PolePosition_1
25th November 2008, 12:16
I really liked Jim Rosenthal, his awkwardness was hilarious, and hugely entertaining, and done in a likable way as well I thought.

And I appreciated how he came from a non-F1 background, and grew to really appreciate the sport.

with Ted, I'm pretty neutral, I wouldn't really miss him if he didn't follow to the BBC, but I can't say I'm disappointed or excited that he has. He done a good job.

CNR
25th November 2008, 12:24
http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2008/nov/24/murray-walker-formula-one-bbc

Murray Walker returns to BBC's F1 commentary team

Murray Walker is to be part of the BBC formula one commentary team next year - but only on the web.

PolePosition_1
25th November 2008, 13:19
I really liked Jim Rosenthal, his awkwardness was hilarious, and hugely entertaining, and done in a likable way as well I thought.

And I appreciated how he came from a non-F1 background, and grew to really appreciate the sport.

with Ted, I'm pretty neutral, I wouldn't really miss him if he didn't follow to the BBC, but I can't say I'm disappointed or excited that he has. He done a good job.

BDunnell
25th November 2008, 13:36
Quite a few people seem to be worried about Legard, it's the same on the BBC forums - he was the first BBC Motorsport correspondent, as opposed to Motor Racing commentator. A position that no longer exits sadly, as it's brief included WRC, BTCC, Le Mans. I've got no real problem with him.

I think he's an excellent sports broadcaster, but I was never 100 per cent convinced by him as F1 commentator on 5 Live. Difficult to say why. Nonetheless, I'm sure he'll do a good job.

wedge
25th November 2008, 14:29
I think he's an excellent sports broadcaster, but I was never 100 per cent convinced by him as F1 commentator on 5 Live. Difficult to say why. Nonetheless, I'm sure he'll do a good job.

I think it comes down to the right voice and delivery as a commentator. People like Murray Walker, Ben Edwards, David Croft, Martin Haven, you can hear their joy and genuine enthusiasm from their voice whereas with Legard you're left wondering.

25th November 2008, 14:40
I think it comes down to the right voice and delivery as a commentator. People like Murray Walker, Ben Edwards, David Croft, Martin Haven, you can hear their joy and genuine enthusiasm from their voice whereas with Legard you're left wondering.

Well, to be honest, I find anybody who is verging on the hysterical when commentating to grate a little.

Interestingly, when I lived in Italy, the commentary team (Clay Regazzoni was the expert) were, perhaps surprisingly, very dead-pan and never hyper.

I much preferred it to Walker's efforts. I'm not brain-dead, so prefer not to be treated as such.

Mind you, it was the mid 80's, and Italian F1 fans had feck all to get excited about.

25th November 2008, 14:41
Although, if you'd ever heard the French guy on Europe 1 radio in the early 80's, you'd think that Walker & Allen were heavily sedated.

wedge
25th November 2008, 23:52
Well, to be honest, I find anybody who is verging on the hysterical when commentating to grate a little.

Interestingly, when I lived in Italy, the commentary team (Clay Regazzoni was the expert) were, perhaps surprisingly, very dead-pan and never hyper.

I much preferred it to Walker's efforts. I'm not brain-dead, so prefer not to be treated as such.

Mind you, it was the mid 80's, and Italian F1 fans had feck all to get excited about.

I didn't mean it as such, though 'verging on the hysterical' is where I put Charlie Cox. He doesn't know when to stop cracking jokes and seems to be getting to the point where Steve Parrish is finding it tiresome at times when he wants to move on and be seriously analytical.

Knock-on
26th November 2008, 09:42
Will be good to hear MW commentating a bit again.

Mark
26th November 2008, 12:37
Will be good to hear MW commentating a bit again.

From what I can see his role is as a pundit in the studio, but still it's still fantastic to have the prospect of his return. He may not be up to live commentating any more but the recent TV stuff I've seen him do, e.g. the One Show mini-feature about Mike Hawthorn, he's still more than capable of TV work.

Knock-on
26th November 2008, 13:14
From what I can see his role is as a pundit in the studio, but still it's still fantastic to have the prospect of his return. He may not be up to live commentating any more but the recent TV stuff I've seen him do, e.g. the One Show mini-feature about Mike Hawthorn, he's still more than capable of TV work.

Yes, sorry. I meant doing some features and discussions.

Would be great to see him doing a pit lane walk about :D

seppefan
27th November 2008, 10:19
Do we really have to have the dreadful Jordan on our screens. A crook who got taken to the cleaners by Vodaphone. Typical BBC.

wedge
27th November 2008, 10:47
Do we really have to have the dreadful Jordan on our screens. A crook who got taken to the cleaners by Vodaphone. Typical BBC.

Could've been worse. Could've had Blundell again.

seppefan
27th November 2008, 11:10
Know what you mean however I somehow manage him out and hardly notice him, go to the loo etc but Jordan will be in our face and ...oh well just have to live with the man.

Mark
27th November 2008, 11:47
Know what you mean however I somehow manage him out and hardly notice him, go to the loo etc but Jordan will be in our face and ...oh well just have to live with the man.

You are Mark Blundell and ICMFP.

woody2goody
27th November 2008, 13:29
I didn't mean it as such, though 'verging on the hysterical' is where I put Charlie Cox. He doesn't know when to stop cracking jokes and seems to be getting to the point where Steve Parrish is finding it tiresome at times when he wants to move on and be seriously analytical.

Charlie Cox and Steve Parrish are excellent.

AndyL
27th November 2008, 16:20
Could've been worse. Could've had Blundell again.

I think I'm actually going to miss Detective Inspector Blundell.

seppefan
27th November 2008, 16:51
You are Mark Blundell and ICMFP.

ICMFP ? while I am not MB, but thanks.

Somebody
28th November 2008, 01:14
ICMFP ? while I am not MB, but thanks.

I Claim My Five Pounds.

This should explain: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lobby_Lud

THE_LIBERATOR
28th November 2008, 08:42
Charlie Cox and Steve Parrish are excellent.They are, no-one knows what at, but they are excellent nonetheless.