PDA

View Full Version : Brazilian Ethanol?

anthonyvop
19th November 2008, 19:19
http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=667275

US Ethanol Producers gone. Brazilian ethanol Producers in?

Promoting a product that isn't even sold here because of high tariffs?

Does this make sense to anyone?

Only thing I can come up with is a possible future race in Brazil.

19th November 2008, 19:32
http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=667275

US Ethanol Producers gone. Brazilian ethanol Producers in?

Promoting a product that isn't even sold here because of high tariffs?

Does this make sense to anyone?

Only thing I can come up with is a possible future race in Brazil.

Peugeot went to the Sebring & Petit Le Mans events....and Peugeots aren't sold in the US.

Why?

Of course, marketing back in Europe wouldn't have anything to do with it.

The Indy 500 is a big event, known the world over. That the product being promoted isn't available in the US doesn't mean that it's not able to be promoted on the back of a major sporting event to a national and or global audience.

For example, saying that Brazilian Biofuel is the fuel used at the Indy 500 is, in many ways, just as good as saying that Peugeot won at Sebring (They didn't, but you can bet your bottom dollar the marketing boys would have used it for promotion purposes if they had).

IMSA
19th November 2008, 19:49
From the IRL press release -- Anthonyvop you recieve these since you are in the media right?

"The multi-year deal names APEX-Brasil an official partner of the Indy Racing League and the Indianapolis 500, which includes cooperation from UNICA (the Brazilian Sugarcane Industry Association) to identify those interested in supplying ethanol to the series.

Initially, UNICA will look to partner with a U.S.-based ethanol company to supply the IndyCar Series with corn-based ethanol."

-----------------

“The move to other sources of ethanol is a natural progression as the ethanol industry continues to grow and evolve,” said Terry Angstadt, president of the commercial division of the Indy Racing League, the sanctioning body for the IndyCar Series. “We continue to strive to be on the leading edge of the greening of racing. The IndyCar Series was the first motorsports series to mandate use of a renewable fuel, and now we will work with the ethanol industry in both the United States and Brazil to promote the use of all types of ethanol by consumers.

--------------------------

You knew the answer before asking the question -- just like to stir the pot huh?

I guess you also know the their is MORE viewership of IndyCar races in Brazil than the US.

This is why they did this!!?!?! Makes very good sense.

FYI, this is a big deal.

anthonyvop
19th November 2008, 20:19
From the IRL press release -- Anthonyvop you recieve these since you are in the media right?

"The multi-year deal names APEX-Brasil an official partner of the Indy Racing League and the Indianapolis 500, which includes cooperation from UNICA (the Brazilian Sugarcane Industry Association) to identify those interested in supplying ethanol to the series.

Initially, UNICA will look to partner with a U.S.-based ethanol company to supply the IndyCar Series with corn-based ethanol."

-----------------

“The move to other sources of ethanol is a natural progression as the ethanol industry continues to grow and evolve,” said Terry Angstadt, president of the commercial division of the Indy Racing League, the sanctioning body for the IndyCar Series. “We continue to strive to be on the leading edge of the greening of racing. The IndyCar Series was the first motorsports series to mandate use of a renewable fuel, and now we will work with the ethanol industry in both the United States and Brazil to promote the use of all types of ethanol by consumers.

--------------------------

You knew the answer before asking the question -- just like to stir the pot huh?

I guess you also know the their is MORE viewership of IndyCar races in Brazil than the US.

This is why they did this!!?!?! Makes very good sense.

FYI, this is a big deal.

Actually I started this thread before I recieved the press release.

So basically they will buy US Corn based Ethanol to promote Brazilian Sugarcane based Ethanol.............OK.

MDS
19th November 2008, 20:46
This makes three different Enthonal suppliers in three year. Why? Because corn-based Ethonal is a scam.

garyshell
19th November 2008, 21:02
Because corn-based Ethonal is a scam.

Agreed. However the folks in Brazil don't make ethanol from corn. They use sugar cane.

Gary

anthonyvop
19th November 2008, 22:23
Agreed. However the folks in Brazil don't make ethanol from corn. They use sugar cane.

Gary

Which is not sold in the US because of high Tariffs.

Why such high tariffs? Ask the Senators from Iowa, Nebraska and the rest of the corn producing states.

Rex Monaco
20th November 2008, 01:50
So basically they will buy US Corn based Ethanol to promote Brazilian Sugarcane based Ethanol.............OK.

I see a great opportunity for Frosted Flakes!

Chamoo
20th November 2008, 05:37
The reason they are in is not because the IRL chose them because they wanted to, but because they needed someone to fill the void the US Ethanol Board would leave once they left. Hopefully they still bring a car sponsorship or two. Maybe they could sponsor atleast one car at RLR for RHR and maybe another for a Brazilian at RLR (Wishful thinking for both, I know).

MDS
20th November 2008, 09:06

Gary

That was kind of my point. Sugar Cane Ethanol is much more practical and actually, you know, effective.

MDS
20th November 2008, 20:41
I've also heard that Hemp would be rather effective.

garyshell
20th November 2008, 22:13
I've also heard that Hemp would be rather effective.

Effective at what? :s mokin:

(Sorry I just couldn't resist.)

Gary

MDS
20th November 2008, 22:26
Effective at what? :s mokin:

(Sorry I just couldn't resist.)

Gary

Hemp is the female plant. You might be referring to the male variant known as Marijuana, which is a controlled substance. Of course all of my knowledge of this subject is strictly academic.

Bob Riebe
21st November 2008, 04:14
Hemp is the female plant. You might be referring to the male variant known as Marijuana, which is a controlled substance. Of course all of my knowledge of this subject is strictly academic.
Hemp is the common name for cannabis ; marijuana is the name of the flowering part of the feamale plant.

call_me_andrew
21st November 2008, 08:20
Sugarcane is great, but not for the U.S. Sugarcane isn't well suited to the climate.

Let me know when you can get ethanol from sugar beets.

downtowndeco
21st November 2008, 13:36
A sponsor comes to the IRL and says "We'll give you money to promote our product" & some of you are looking for the down side of that? How can you? Any sponsor is a good sponsor, whether it's Chester's Fried Chicken or Larry's Septic Service (an actual sponsor of a late model at a local track I used to go to). The money may smell funny but it's still green. : )

indycool
21st November 2008, 14:10
You can make ethanol from a LOT of things. Andy Granatelli once suggested potato peels. And I imagine some ideas from aging moonshiners could provide more.

Wilf
21st November 2008, 15:14
Sugarcane is great, but not for the U.S. Sugarcane isn't well suited to the climate.

Louisiana and Mississippi might be surprised to learn that.

rkalevich
21st November 2008, 15:45
Gallons of Ethanol per acre
Corn – 350 gallons / acre
Sugar – 750 “ / “
Sawgrass – 1350 “ / “
What would you use and plant ?

garyshell
21st November 2008, 17:03

Louisiana and Mississippi might be surprised to learn that.

As would Florida and Texas.

Gary

garyshell
21st November 2008, 17:06
Gallons of Ethanol per acre
Corn – 350 gallons / acre
Sugar – 750 “ / “
Sawgrass – 1350 “ / “
What would you use and plant ?

I am glad you had the numbers at hand, I was going to mention sawgrass. Read a GREAT article in Wired about it approx a year ago. The BEST thing about sawgrass is that it is pretty much a weed. And as such requires very little cutlivation and no pesticides or fertilizers. So not only is the output higher the NET output is as well. Too many other crops used for Ethanol have a low net return due to their reliance on cultivation, fertilizers and pesticides.

Gary

Easy Drifter
21st November 2008, 18:24
With present technology more energy is used to produce a gallon of Ethanol than the Ethanol produces.
Large quantities of water are also used and as far as I know none of the plants are recapturing the water for use again.
With the fresh water table diminishing in many parts of NA this is a very troubling situation.
Some people and a few politicians are wondering if Ethanol is a viable product.
Technology may improve and there should be a way to recapture and reuse the water but it certainly would add to the costs of production.
The use of corn in NA has also driven the price of corn up. While most people only think of the corn they eat most corn is actually used as farm animal feed. Up goes the cost of feed and up goes the cost of meat and dairy products.
A lot to consider.

anthonyvop
22nd November 2008, 01:51
I am glad you had the numbers at hand, I was going to mention sawgrass. Read a GREAT article in Wired about it approx a year ago. The BEST thing about sawgrass is that it is pretty much a weed. And as such requires very little cutlivation and no pesticides or fertilizers. So not only is the output higher the NET output is as well. Too many other crops used for Ethanol have a low net return due to their reliance on cultivation, fertilizers and pesticides.

Gary
Sawgrass requires HUGE amounts of water. I know. It grows in the Everglades swamps here in South Florida.
Not just huge amounts but constant as well.
It is also very suceptible to varying nutrient levels. Just a little off and you have a swamp full of Cattails.

Also curious how would you harvest it? have you ever walked in a Swagrass swamp? The only thing that can move there are swamp buggies.

indycool
22nd November 2008, 13:04
Starter, granted this is an ethanol promotion site, but the source is listed as the U.S. Dept. of Agriculture regarding energy to produce......

http://www.drivingethanol.org/brochures/mythbusters.pdf

garyshell
23rd November 2008, 06:00
Sawgrass requires HUGE amounts of water. I know. It grows in the Everglades swamps here in South Florida.
Not just huge amounts but constant as well.
It is also very suceptible to varying nutrient levels. Just a little off and you have a swamp full of Cattails.

Also curious how would you harvest it? have you ever walked in a Swagrass swamp? The only thing that can move there are swamp buggies.

Sorry! It was not sawgrass it was switchgrass. Here is a link to the article :
http://www.wired.com/science/planetearth/magazine/15-10/ff_plant?currentPage=all

Gary