PDA

View Full Version : Pantano to test Panther.

beppe64
19th November 2008, 10:19
English magazine Autosport repots that GP2 champion Giorgio Pantano will test before the end of the year with Panther Racing about a chance t get a seat for 2009 season. Giorgio said that he is very interested in Indycar races and will not be a fallback than the Formula 1.

Refutation
19th November 2008, 10:26
He seemed to be enjoying himself the last time he was here. I'd be happy to see him as Dan's teammate, and I think Panther would be better off with two cars than one, and I think these two would work well together, Dan bringing the Oval expertise, and Giorgio with the Road Course experience.

They are testing on December 9th at Homestead, so that's probably when we'll see him in a car.

Nikki Katz
19th November 2008, 19:50
It's a nice thought, he's a good driver who seems to be without any drive at all anywhere for 2009, but it'll rely on sponsorship at a time when the economy is shrinking.

Chamoo
20th November 2008, 05:53
It's a nice thought, he's a good driver who seems to be without any drive at all anywhere for 2009, but it'll rely on sponsorship at a time when the economy is shrinking.

I am sure he brings some sort of sponsorship with him. He has competed in GP2 for a few years now and most drivers in that competition bring atleast partial budget.

Civic
3rd December 2008, 10:34
Maybe he'll bring Sunoco sponsorship!

DBell
3rd December 2008, 15:47
I am sure he brings some sort of sponsorship with him. He has competed in GP2 for a few years now and most drivers in that competition bring atleast partial budget.

He may have some sponsorship, but is a European sponsor going to see value in spending money for a North American series?

http://f1update.com/full_story/view/287752/Pantano_quotabandonedquot_by_F1_teams/

It sounds like sponsorship money is an issue for him in F1. It may be the same problem for him in the IRL.

3rd December 2008, 15:52

For the last three years, Pantano has been a professional driver chosen by one of the teams in GP2 who had a team sponsor.

Not sure if he brought any cash to the table at all.

seppefan
3rd December 2008, 16:08
Pantano could do better than Panther. I know Vitor was fast at times this year but they are better on the ovals. KV and NHL beat them in the Championship this year. Remember in Lights Panther won their first race at Indianpolis ever this year but were really bad on the roadcourses. I am sure they have called Penske.

Mihai
4th December 2008, 00:07
I just read today about Pantano that he is angry on F1 teams for ignoring him, unlike all other former GP2 champions (Rosberg, Hamilton, Glock) :

http://br.esportes.yahoo.com/03122008/25/esportes-campeao-da-gp2-pede-vaga.html

I think Pantano may well become the new Zanardi, overlooked by F1 teams at one point, but returning in F1 for a second stint, following strong results in the US.

beppe64
4th December 2008, 11:23
If Giorgio will go in Indycar (I hope because I love Indycar more than F1 that it not deserve a racer like Pantano) will not return in F1. Giorgio is a fantastic human being. He not forget who help you and I guess that Indycar take he in its lovely arms he will be an idol for all Indy fans. I hope it because American racing and fans deserve to have a great talent like Giorgio.

gm99
4th December 2008, 13:43
I just read today about Pantano that he is angry on F1 teams for ignoring him, unlike all other former GP2 champions (Rosberg, Hamilton, Glock) :

Maybe that's because all other former GP2 champions didn't spend a total of seven seasons in F3000/GP2 before finally winning the championship ;)

On a lighter note: If Giorgio does end up with sponsorship at Panther Racing, will the team be renamed "Panthano Racing"?

Mihai
4th December 2008, 20:52
Yep, it might have had something to do with the fact that he raced almost a decade in the junior category of Formula 1. http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g202/gr8link/orn/00.gif

But he was very fast in F3000. I think it's kind of unfair to be written off by F1 teams, following his less than successful season with the ill-faited Jordan in 2004. I believe in the second chance. Give Pantano a fast Indy car and he will shine!