NASCAR organizers have scrapped Kyle Busch's plans
when he has to attend the NASCAR awards banquet on
November 22. He finished in the points in 6th
and the Top 10 point finishers are required to
attend the awards banquet.

We hope Toyota F1 can give him another opportunity
to test the F1 car in the near future.
But his chances are no slim.

“I don't get to drive the Formula 1 car anymore,” revealed a disgruntled Busch, currently sixth in the Nationwide standings. “I have to go to the Nationwide banquet and accept my sixth-place award instead. NASCAR took me away from the Formula 1 car.”

Report:
http://www.crash.net/motorsport/nascar/news/171819-0/busch_toyota_f1_test_scuppered_by_organisers.html

Hotlavaaaa
16th November 2008, 07:43
Lame NASCAR, super lame. Wouldn't a better reward be a drive in an F1 car? I'd rather do that than sit in some stuffy hotel ballroom to receive a 6th place trophy. If I was Kyle Busch I'd tell NASCAR to shove it's award and hop on the earliest flight to Japan.

F1boat
16th November 2008, 08:40
Quite shocking. NASCAR obviously views itself as a communist party, an invitation of which can not not be denied.

gloomyDAY
16th November 2008, 10:06
Is the banquet contractual?

This is a once in a lifetime opportunity!
Kyle should consider hopping on that flight out to Japan.

ShiftingGears
16th November 2008, 10:26
Well I hope he manages to test this off-season. Then F1 would have arguably the greatest drivers from their respective categories testing (Loeb, Rossi, Busch).

harvick#1
16th November 2008, 18:01
If I was Busch, I'll test, take a fine from Nascar, whatever, don't miss a chance to test drive a F1 car

goodf1fun
16th November 2008, 19:26
nascar drivers do not belong to f1

Areez2006
16th November 2008, 20:40
nascar drivers do not belong to f1

:rolleyes:

Allyc85
16th November 2008, 21:00
Whats the worst thing NASCAR can do if he dosnt turn up?

LeonBrooke
16th November 2008, 21:27
"Um, yes, hello NASCAR, this is Kyle Busch. Sorry, I won't be able to attend the awards banquet, because I'm sick. Yes, I have a rare disease and the only doctors who can treat it are in Japan. Sorry again. See you when I get back! *cough* *cough*"

;)

ykiki
17th November 2008, 02:07

Knowing NASCAR, they'd probably tell him to take a race or two off during the season.

...or fine his crew chief $100,000. :p

Areez2006
17th November 2008, 20:16
Knowing NASCAR, they'd probably tell him to take a race or two off during the season.

...or fine his crew chief $100,000. :p

Right, I was thinking that there has to be some stipulation that isn't hurting him, but rather his team. I mean, it would be a little selfish if he decided to go to the F1 test and NASCAR told him they would fine his team. As a matter of fact, I think it is more a matter of coincidence. If NASCAR didn't want their drivers playing around in F1 cars then they wouldn't have let Jeff Gordon drive that Williams when he did.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_IfM5X7QIU

anthonyvop
18th November 2008, 02:59

Ahhhhh.
Withhold his Prize money. We are talking Millions of $$$
Take away points. Again that can cost him $$$
Generally make his life miserable and ruin his career.

Before you point fingers remember that F-1 has strict rules as well. No F-1 driver can compete in another series.
A f-1 driver cannot even test a car from another series with express permission from his team and the FIA.

F1boat
18th November 2008, 06:47
And it is bull***, it is bull in F1 and in NASCAR as well. It sucks. I love how some drivers do Indy Cars and Sports Cars or touring cars and sports cars.

anthonyvop
18th November 2008, 17:12
And it is bull***, it is bull in F1 and in NASCAR as well. It sucks. I love how some drivers do Indy Cars and Sports Cars or touring cars and sports cars.

Racing has become big business.

There is no way that NASCAR would let one of it's top drivers to skip their awards Ceremony to test another series car.

The NASCAR Awards Ceremony is a big deal. It is Televised live in the US and is built around an entire week of press conferences and driver appearance in New Your City.

I may not agree with it but I understand it.

Allyc85
18th November 2008, 20:32
Ahhhhh.

Before you point fingers remember that F-1 has strict rules as well. No F-1 driver can compete in another series.
A f-1 driver cannot even test a car from another series with express permission from his team and the FIA.

Id love to see that rule in writting as to be honest that seems to be a load of s***. Its usually the teams stoppingtheir drivers incase they get hurt or go against their brand image.

truefan72
18th November 2008, 22:11
stupidity plain and simple.

If he were to miss a race, that would be something.

But the season is over, and i don''t think many folks are tuning into speedvision to watch and awards banquet. Neither do I think those who do watch would be too upset if he accepted his 6th place honors (lol) via satellite from Japan.

19th November 2008, 09:57
It's no big deal. At best it would have been a fun day out.

Simmi
20th November 2008, 17:57

There is no way that NASCAR would let one of it's top drivers to skip their awards Ceremony to test another series car.

The NASCAR Awards Ceremony is a big deal. It is Televised live in the US and is built around an entire week of press conferences and driver appearance in New Your City.

This isn't the Sprint Cup awards with the street procession and all that stuff. This is the Nationwide series awards where Kyle didn't even run a full season. I get what you are saying though. Denny Hamlin gets to make the trip instead (but wont be driving the F1 car), so it's like they are punishing Busch for getting the better results.

Surely saying 'Kyle can't be here tonight because he is testing an F1 car' is actually a great advert for NASCAR. Not to mention it being at the wish of Toyota who are now one of the sports power players.

anthonyvop
21st November 2008, 02:33
Surely saying 'Kyle can't be here tonight because he is testing an F1 car' is actually a great advert for NASCAR. .

Not in the world of NASCAR.

In the world of NASCAR their drivers are the best.

In the world of NASCAR Their cars are the cutting edge of motorsports technology.

In the world of NASCAR F1 is a glorified Karting series.

In the world of NASCAR...NASCAR is racing.

call_me_andrew
21st November 2008, 07:57

Actually, a few years ago Jeff Gordon did skip the Sprint Cup awards ceremony to compete in the Race of Champions.

AndyRAC
21st November 2008, 09:36
Not in the world of NASCAR.

In the world of NASCAR their drivers are the best.

In the world of NASCAR Their cars are the cutting edge of motorsports technology.

In the world of NASCAR F1 is a glorified Karting series.

In the world of NASCAR...NASCAR is racing.

Ah, yes, 'the car of Tomorrow!!'

Saying that, each Racing series can only see their own little world.

Kyle certainly deserves a Test in an F1 car. He might not have won the Cup, but he's probably the best/most talented driver in Nascar, silly points system notwithstanding.

call_me_andrew
24th November 2008, 05:05
The point system didn't cost him the championship. He choked on his own merits.

goodf1fun
24th November 2008, 08:06
Nascar driver deserves f1 test? who says that? lol

Going round and round on a circuit with a car that is totally different in terms on design-speed, don't make someone good for f1.

TMorel
24th November 2008, 19:54
and it doesn't mean that he's not going to be any good at it either!

Loeb drives along pretty forest trails and relies on someone telling him when to turn and when to break, but he did ok in his F1 test. You don't see Rossi freaking out because he's got twice as many wheel as normal.

When they start giving celebrity chefs F1 tests just because they won a pastry competition then I'll agree that it's different discipline and maybe not deserving.

markabilly
26th November 2008, 14:52
and it doesn't mean that he's not going to be any good at it either!

Loeb drives along pretty forest trails and relies on someone telling him when to turn and when to break, but he did ok in his F1 test. You don't see Rossi freaking out because he's got twice as many wheel as normal.

When they start giving celebrity chefs F1 tests just because they won a pastry competition then I'll agree that it's different discipline and maybe not deserving.

Yeah and then there was that test at Indy where Gordon drove the mac and JPM dorve the nascar car, seems Gordon did ok for what was just some sort of set up "speed TV"----vaguely i recall his times were not too far off the pace of the same cars at the race (from the year before, as he was using an older model car) while JPM had the more difiicult time matching Gordon's speed on the road course in the nascar but i could be wrong as it was sooo long ago and far away.....

call_me_andrew
27th November 2008, 07:20
I'm sure you can find the videos on Youtube. Gordon was at the cusp of the 107% rule in a car that was setup for a shakedown. Montoya says that he had to lobby Williams to let Gordon have all the RPMs at his disposal.