PDA

View Full Version : Marshaling Im getting feed up of bad marshals

sills
5th February 2007, 03:54
Anywhere I went again this year at the Galway rally to spectate the standard of marshaling was cr*pwell below average,I will post some pics of this when I get a chance espically on Sunday people sitting both in and out of the junctions with legs over the walls and also people standing in front and sitting in front of the wall on the exit of the corner on the roads edge the marshals were just standing looking they would of been better of not there atall. I know you cant run a rally with out marshal's but they need to put people in that know what there doing, Like I said pictures to follow

RallyMarshal
5th February 2007, 08:50
sills,

The problem within rallying is that there arent enough marshals to make events safe anyway so events have to utilise their limited numbers of marshals across an event to allow the event to run at all - this means that inexperienced marshals are often put on their own rather than with others. However the crux of the the problem is that there arent enough people out there prepared to give up their time and marshal - full-stop.

Rather than moan about the problem, why not be part of the solution and actually give something back to the sport by marshalling???

Paul..

hyundaimike
5th February 2007, 12:04
some people wont listen to marshalls no matter what they say.it takes common sense on the part of spectators not to sit down anyway with there feet hangin out.i do marshalling myself but also spectate and understand your point but but if marshalls were to be so strict and with some a**holes spectating that do whatever they want then the majority of stages will be cancelled due to spectator problems not marshalling problems.why didnt you tell them pull there feet in

sills
5th February 2007, 15:04
some people wont listen to marshalls no matter what they say.it takes common sense on the part of spectators not to sit down anyway with there feet hangin out.i do marshalling myself but also spectate and understand your point but but if marshalls were to be so strict and with some a**holes spectating that do whatever they want then the majority of stages will be cancelled due to spectator problems not marshalling problems.why didnt you tell them pull there feet in

Yeh i have marshalled before and I know some people wont listen but when the yellow flag was taken out and I the cars are slowed down they move fairley quick, the flag is to be used if there is a danger and that is dangerous so it has to be used not cancel the stage just slow them down, I would mrshal again no problem but
On the Sunday stages the irst stage ( 9-12-15 ) were not run at all problem on stage (and fair play to the club for not running them) this left alot of extra marshals thatwere used on other stages were I was in one particular case there were 12 marshals and you are telling me none of them knew it wasnt safe to have there legs out im 20 going to rallies for the past 15 years im only 20 though and know better than that and dont say they didnt see about 15 - 20 people with there legs out I have to by a new connection and I will put a photo up of some people. i am also feed up of all the safety officers I got moved 4 times at one stage there was a box junction on the inside of the bend the safest place we could of been if there is anywhere safe in motorsport but I stood at the back of this as you are ment to be at a safe distance and a marshal told us we were to close to the road and had to move so I am really getting feed up of this so I questioned him and said we are behind the box marked out and he replied well I didnt make the box there were people standing behind him in a gateway on the edge of the road and on the outside of the left hand curve into the junction right they were in the worst place possible. but one safety officer came down ant told us we had to move when we went up onto the inside of the left hand side curve another came down and told us to move back to the side we were already on there is going to be a serious accident some day soon that is going to destroy Irish rallying and its going to because of the safety officers and some peoples common sense, I,ve got plenty more examples of stupid places I've been put and how many times I've been moved to worse of places espically by a man in a blue skoda rs, the amount of people giving out about him is scandlous

jidoka
5th February 2007, 15:16
a man in a blue skoda rs, the amount of people giving out about him is scandlous

He does love the sound of his own voice....

Did anyone notice some of the official car drivers neglecting to use a seat belt????

sills
5th February 2007, 15:23
if people were to all to get around it and all start complaining about him would anything be done, A couple of years ago we were on a persons lawn on the outside of the bend on abank about 5 foot high and then at the back of a wall about 4 ft further back fair enough he told people to keep there legs at the other side of the wall my hand were dangling about I dnt know a ridiclous small amount say 8 inches or so and he stopped the car and asked me did I want the stage cancelled what a a**hole

bt52b
5th February 2007, 16:56
sills,

The problem within rallying is that there arent enough marshals to make events safe anyway so events have to utilise their limited numbers of marshals across an event to allow the event to run at all - this means that inexperienced marshals are often put on their own rather than with others. However the crux of the the problem is that there arent enough people out there prepared to give up their time and marshal - full-stop.

Rather than moan about the problem, why not be part of the solution and actually give something back to the sport by marshalling???

Paul..

The sheer volume of spectators was incredible. Initial estimates talk about there being 80,000 people in Galway on the Saturday alone!!!!!!!

MrJan
6th February 2007, 23:14
I've seen some marshals in terrible positions telling people in safe positions that they have to move. I am very grateful for all the work that marshals and a large number of them are very good but there are the odd few that seem to think that wearing a reflective jacket makes them invincible.

I've seen marshals in fire breaks on forest stages, on the outside of a corner, directly after a jump and many other stupid places. I've also seen marshals turn their backs on cars as they approach to have a chat with whoever. One thing my Dad taught me as a nipper was not to turn your back on a rally car as they can lose control easily. I know it doesn't always apply but surely you want marshals to be paying attention?

I can't rant about this incoherantly for hours and people can endlessly tell me that I should marshal myself but at the end of the day i just plain don't like t***s who let the authority go to their head and decide that everyone else is stood in a dangerous position even when they are clearly not.

bt52b
7th February 2007, 23:47
Yeh i have marshalled before and I know some people wont listen but when the yellow flag was taken out and I the cars are slowed down they move fairley quick, the flag is to be used if there is a danger and that is dangerous so it has to be used not cancel the stage just slow them down, I would mrshal again no problem but
On the Sunday stages the irst stage ( 9-12-15 ) were not run at all problem on stage (and fair play to the club for not running them) this left alot of extra marshals thatwere used on other stages were I was in one particular case there were 12 marshals and you are telling me none of them knew it wasnt safe to have there legs out im 20 going to rallies for the past 15 years im only 20 though and know better than that and dont say they didnt see about 15 - 20 people with there legs out I have to by a new connection and I will put a photo up of some people. i am also feed up of all the safety officers I got moved 4 times at one stage there was a box junction on the inside of the bend the safest place we could of been if there is anywhere safe in motorsport but I stood at the back of this as you are ment to be at a safe distance and a marshal told us we were to close to the road and had to move so I am really getting feed up of this so I questioned him and said we are behind the box marked out and he replied well I didnt make the box there were people standing behind him in a gateway on the edge of the road and on the outside of the left hand curve into the junction right they were in the worst place possible. but one safety officer came down ant told us we had to move when we went up onto the inside of the left hand side curve another came down and told us to move back to the side we were already on there is going to be a serious accident some day soon that is going to destroy Irish rallying and its going to because of the safety officers and some peoples common sense, I,ve got plenty more examples of stupid places I've been put and how many times I've been moved to worse of places espically by a man in a blue skoda rs, the amount of people giving out about him is scandlous

Think I need a diagram to make sense of that :confused:

I think, on the inside of the exit is a bit safer, as the driver should be more in control and you have more time to react if he screws up his braking.

Having said that, one of the worst accidents in UK rallying was on the inside of an exit :(