PDA

View Full Version : Testing rules

jwhite9185
13th November 2008, 12:13
What are IRL rules on testing? Can teams do their own private tests or is the only one they can take part in is pre season at homestead?

usgrandprix
14th November 2008, 15:34
They change so much I don't think anyone has a handle on them. He's what you can expect:

-Two preseason open tests for all teams. One at a road course (Sebring?) and one at an oval (Homestead?). That will probably be in March.

-ICS teams that also have an Indy Lights team get a couple of tests during the season. Each test is 50% Indy Lights driver and 50% ICS driver. It's supposed to give the Lights driver a chance in the car but ICS teams have been using it for testing on tracks coming up on the schedule too. Usually road courses.

-There are random tire tests occasionally. Not sure how they pick drivers for that, but I noticed they usually have big and small teams.

I don't think there's much testing in the off season outside of that.

Of course, a wind tunnel is a big oval advantage for the big teams as they can afford.

And the month of May offers a lot of track "testing" time...when it doesn't rain.

usgrandprix
14th November 2008, 15:40
Also, it seems to me some rookie drivers get a little extra time to prep and take the rookie test. It all depends on when the driver is coming on the scene.