PDA

View Full Version : An engine parity idea

Mark
10th November 2008, 13:13
Lets say the teams all submit their engines to the FIA for testing. Now whoever has the engine with the most power (or any other parameters you wish), is not allowed to change their engine. But other engine manufacturers are allowed to change their engines in order to improve performance, as long as that performance does not exceed the level of the best engine.

Then maybe once every few years engine manufacturers are allowed to bring out entirely new units and it all starts again?

Makes sure that engines are going to be roughly equal but witout penalising those who are behind and can't catch up, like the current engine freeze.

ioan
10th November 2008, 13:36
Now whoever has the engine with the most power (or any other parameters you wish)...

That's already enough problem, deciding which parameter is more important cause teams might design the chassis in function of some of the engines parameters.

There is no need for equalization in a performance based series. We already have GP2 powered by Renault and A1GP powered by Ferrari.

wedge
10th November 2008, 13:55
You mean BHP limit?

Terrible idea

ArrowsFA1
10th November 2008, 14:02
If an engine manufacturer gains an advantage (legally!) over their rivals why should they effectively be forced to hand back that advantage?

F1 is about winning, not parity.

Dave B
10th November 2008, 14:21
I've got a radical idea: engine manufacturers are allowed to sink whatever budget they can raise into R&D, then the ones with the most horsepower will go faster.

It worked for half a century, maybe it could catch on again.

Knock-on
10th November 2008, 14:42
If an engine manufacturer gains an advantage (legally!) over their rivals why should they effectively be forced to hand back that advantage?

I've got a radical idea: engine manufacturers are allowed to sink whatever budget they can raise into R&D, then the ones with the most horsepower will go faster.

It worked for half a century, maybe it could catch on again.

Is it me or is this not the name of the game :confused:

If you like spec series, go watch them.

I can understand limiting some things such as aero effect and to some degree max RPM but the dumbing down of F1 is getting silly.

Miatanut
10th November 2008, 17:00
I'm for RPM limits and prohibiting exotic materials (two major contributors to cost), but otherwise against engine rules. I would rather have an air restrictor or fuel consumption limit, and you can then do pretty much anything you want, like in sportscar racing.

V12
10th November 2008, 17:10
This is almost as bad as the "standard engine" idea and the "engine freeze" that got us into this mess in the first place.

Unfreeze the engines, stop ****ing about, and allow the engine builders to come up with whatever the hell they want, within the technical regulations of course.

As Dave said, it worked for 50 years (well 100 if you include pre-WC racing), so why not now?

ioan
10th November 2008, 17:53
Just thought about changing the name of the sport into "Chassis Racing" or even better "drivers racing" (cause chasis parity might be just around the corner) there certainly wouldn't be any racing between motors if there is an imposed parity!

Valve Bounce
11th November 2008, 01:20

This is the crux of F1. :up:

How can we place a power limit of engines when the limits have already been set on number of cylinders and engine capacity? We are talking about Formula 1 here, not Slot Cars.