PDA

View Full Version : Lewis and Fernando make up

Tazio
9th November 2008, 16:41
http://www.forumula1.net/2008/f1/f1-news/lewis-and-fernando-make-up/

"Lewis Hamilton says he has always respected his former McLaren teammate Fernando Alonso and has denied that there was ever a personal dispute between himself and the Spaniard as they battled for the title at McLaren last year.

“I don’t think there was a particular dispute between us,” he said at Mercedes-Benz’s Stars & Cars event in Stuttgart this weekend, according to autosport.com.

Hamilton also disclosed that Alonso was one of the first drivers to congratulate him after he won the world championship in Brazil.

“It was great to see him in the garage,” said Hamilton. “He came over as I saw my team, I turned round and he was there - just to wish me congratulations. Then he said congratulations to the rest of the team.”

“I had a huge amount of respect for him already, but it took a big man to come and do that so I was very thankful to him.”

:)

BeansBeansBeans
9th November 2008, 17:50
Very nice to hear.

I doubt their relationship has ever been as fraught as the media likes to suggest, but there was clearly a little bit of tension.

truefan72
9th November 2008, 18:55
well good to hear.

There was some acrimony there last year and I hope this chapter is now closed.

I am evil Homer
9th November 2008, 20:09
Very nice to hear.

I doubt their relationship has ever been as fraught as the media likes to suggest, but there was clearly a little bit of tension.

Indeed...but I bet Bernie loved it last year and certainly didn't discourage any of it as it boosted the "spectacle"...anyway, good to hear that Alonso went to the Mac garage to do it in person :up:

Valve Bounce
9th November 2008, 20:46
I wonder if Fonzo congratulated Ron.

TMorel
9th November 2008, 22:18
I remember the press going on about how much Senna, Mansell and De'Angelis all hated each other year after year, and then eventually photos came out of them all going on holiday together and fooling about on the beach.
Things still haven't changed, the papers sell more copies with hate than love (unless of course Lewis and Fernando were caught demonstrating their love for each other, that'd probably sell lots of copies of papers too!)

Valve Bounce
9th November 2008, 23:37
I remember the press going on about how much Senna, Mansell and De'Angelis all hated each other year after year, and then eventually photos came out of them all going on holiday together and fooling about on the beach.
Things still haven't changed, the papers sell more copies with hate than love (unless of course Lewis and Fernando were caught demonstrating their love for each other, that'd probably sell lots of copies of papers too!)

I remember Brutus used to play beach volleyball with Julius, but then Brutus got an offer that he couldn't refuse.

wedge
10th November 2008, 00:16
Nice sporting gesture from Alonso but hardly Senna/Prost shaking hands and embracing each other.

Seems like some forgot Alonso preferred Massa to win WDC and Lewis implying "it took a man to do that" suggests there is some tension of some kind.

Donney
10th November 2008, 07:13
Good on both of them, now moving to next season.....

F1boat
10th November 2008, 07:44
Nice sporting gesture from Alonso but hardly Senna/Prost shaking hands and embracing each other.

Seems like some forgot Alonso preferred Massa to win WDC and Lewis implying "it took a man to do that" suggests there is some tension of some kind.

In my opinion Alonso has bigger problem with Team McLaren, than with Lewis personally. And about shaking hands, maybe not, but Alonso never did something to Lewis like Japan 1990.

Valve Bounce
10th November 2008, 07:53
In my opinion Alonso has bigger problem with Team McLaren, than with Lewis personally. And about shaking hands, maybe not, but Alonso never did something to Lewis like Japan 1990.

Please, don't mention the A Bomb. :eek:

markabilly
16th November 2008, 13:58
:love: Oh ain't love grand :love:

Must be Lewis's new shade of lipstick that brings out the best in freddie

PolePosition_1
17th November 2008, 11:57
I like the tension from last year. As has already been said, it adds to the spectacle, both on and off track.

With a true dislike for eachother, I think its fair to say racing on track can also become more competitive and aggressive, and thats what I like to see.

But I'm impressed at Alonso's actions, as Lewis said, it takes courage and good morals to do that. And fair play to Lewis as well, for crediting him with his actions publicly, as Alonso often gets slated by the media and public for poor sportsmanship etc / being a bad loser.

DazzlaF1
17th November 2008, 19:24
Very impressed with Alonso's actions there, i wonder though if he did it though to stick 2 fingers up at those idiots in spain that posted all that racist garbage the previous week

Tazio
17th November 2008, 20:21
Very impressed with Alonso's actions there, i wonder though if he did it though to stick 2 fingers up at those idiots in spain that posted all that racist garbage the previous week
It certainly disassociates him from that lot!
Good on Fred for either, or more likely both motivations! :up:

keysersoze
18th November 2008, 00:50
Will someone refresh my memory: what exactly did McLaren do to Fernando to make him so angry?

6wheeler
18th November 2008, 01:34
This clearly shows the class of F.Alonso.
The other party I shall remain mute about.

18th November 2008, 08:38
Will someone refresh my memory: what exactly did McLaren do to Fernando to make him so angry?

Cost him a world title.

52Paddy
18th November 2008, 08:56
I'm glad to see Alonso show respect for Lewis but its been a while since we had a proper 'dog eat dog' rivalry at the top. I was half-hoping that we may witness a new hardcore racing duo just fighting to beat each other but alas, this may not be true. Even Schumacher and Hakkinen brought a great air of rivalry about them at the end of the 1990s but since then, I can't think of any pairing that really went all out to beat each other. It seems all too confined now. Alonso and Kimi might have done it but it didn't last long enough to really be considered. Besides, Alonso never hated Kimi nor vice versa.

donKey jote
18th November 2008, 18:21
"we were racing Fernando" :dozey: