PDA

View Full Version : Force India shake up

wedge
8th November 2008, 14:06
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/72038

Colin Kolles and Mike Gascoyne have been shown the door!

Nikki Katz
8th November 2008, 14:22
I guess if McLaren will be designing their car for next year then there's really no need for Gascoyne.

While I think that chassis sharing is perhaps inevitable in order to keep several teams from dropping out, I do feel sorry for the minor teams not yet doing this, specifically Williams, who could well finish last next year.

Just think, if they'd sorted out these rules a year ago then we'd probably have Prodrive and maybe even a buyer for Super Aguri.

ChrisS
8th November 2008, 15:06
I'm not sure Mallya will be able to run the team himself. If he is willing to spent money he should hire a top F1 man as team principal

ioan
8th November 2008, 15:19

What an idiotic move. Maybe Mallya was thinking that they can't be worse than last on the grid. :rolleyes:

Azumanga Davo
8th November 2008, 15:31
I'm not sure Mallya will be able to run the team himself. If he is willing to spent money he should hire a top F1 man as team principal

http://www.virginmedia.com/images/eddiejordan.jpg

Careful what you wish for...

Azumanga Davo
8th November 2008, 15:36
And it's clear that there may be more than just personnel changes...

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/72034

Roamy
8th November 2008, 17:02
I alway thought that gascoyne just rode the coat tail of Sergio Rinland. I never knew why Sergio left F1 but I think if one looks closely you will see Sergio was very very good.

Easy Drifter
8th November 2008, 23:53
Hey it would be good to have Eddie Jordan back in F1. He and Flav could compete for outrageous statements and offset the Luca, Ron oh so serious wrangling. Besides he would p--- off both Mad Max and the Demented Midget. :D

Valve Bounce
9th November 2008, 00:04
What an idiotic move. Maybe Mallya was thinking that they can't be worse than last on the grid. :rolleyes:

Well, they can't, really!! and the only way to go is forward in the grid and finishing order.

More seriously, Mallya has unlimited funds himself, he needs no sponsor and can publicise his own companies and products on his cars.

My question here is whether he has organised his team to be the McLaren Mercedes "B" team.

Have their drivers been confirmed for next year?

jso1985
9th November 2008, 00:31
well, Gascoyne hasn't designed a good car since the 2004 Renault, so I don't see it as much of a loss for the team.

as for Mallya, he's certainly unexperienced in this particular field but he's succesful in many others! so he might succeed here too.

ioan
9th November 2008, 02:27
More seriously, Mallya has unlimited funds himself, he needs no sponsor ...

I'm not sure about that. F1 isn't karting!

Have their drivers been confirmed for next year?

Yeah, as far as I remember cause it was already some time ago.

Valve Bounce
9th November 2008, 04:50
I'm not sure about that. F1 isn't karting!

I think you will find that Mallya has an airline, and a beer brewing business among other things. The guy has quite a large business empire.

truefan72
9th November 2008, 09:19
I think you will find that Mallya has an airline, and a beer brewing business among other things. The guy has quite a large business empire.
well put,

and I welcome these changes. Both Gascoyne and Kolles have not lived up to their respective contracts and it was time to make a change. The worst thing he could have done was to continue down that path of futility.

I don't expect them to be a McLaren B-team at all. They have enough funds to do their own thing.They just wanted an upgrade in terms of an engine package and commitmentand they got it from Mercedes. The rest, they will do by themselves.

jens
9th November 2008, 10:38
well, Gascoyne hasn't designed a good car since the 2004 Renault, so I don't see it as much of a loss for the team.

Well, Gascoyne's 2005 Toyota was pretty good too, wasn't it. ;)

Before criticizing Force India we have to wait and see, what is the exact deal with McLaren-Mercedes. Imagine if FI purchases the whole McLaren chassis! In that case Gascoyne as a chief designer simply wouldn't be needed any more...

ioan
9th November 2008, 11:26
Before criticizing Force India we have to wait and see, what is the exact deal with McLaren-Mercedes. Imagine if FI purchases the whole McLaren chassis! In that case Gascoyne as a chief designer simply wouldn't be needed any more...

Ironic isn't it?!
They were one of the most outspoken enemies of the chassis sharing 1 season ago, and now they are willing to go even further than that!

Did Williams agree with customer chassis and I missed something? I thought they were going to be outlawed.

N. Jones
9th November 2008, 11:57

Not sure what to think about Kolles departure but it seems to me that while Gascoyne can put a decent car together he cannot get a long with anybody.

If it is true that customer cars are staying then hopefully we will see more teams on the grid - 20 cars just isn't enough! (12 teams would be good enough for me).

CNR
9th November 2008, 12:18
devil's advocate i hope the customer care issue comes around and byte them on the ass after all how much of that (court action) had to do with the demise of super aguri

BDunnell
9th November 2008, 12:26
Ironic isn't it?!
They were one of the most outspoken enemies of the chassis sharing 1 season ago, and now they are willing to go even further than that!

Did Williams agree with customer chassis and I missed something? I thought they were going to be outlawed.

The rule change on this passed me by, as well. But you bet that it will rear its head again next season if Force India do buy the McLaren! I reckon a lot of people who had previously been in favour of customer cars will change their tune if FI suddenly become a race-winning proposition as a result. I must say that I might be among them.

Valve Bounce
9th November 2008, 20:50
devil's advocate i hope the customer care issue comes around and byte them on the ass after all how much of that (court action) had to do with the demise of super aguri

Don't worry - I put a special Malacca hex on them.

anthonyvop
9th November 2008, 22:11
There is obviously more to this.

By now the 2009 should be well past the design stage and into actual production of the chassis and parts and testing.

Seems like the worse time to drop your designers.

wedge
10th November 2008, 11:54
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/72063

Seems like its going to be a hybrid car or copy McLaren - much like Sauber/Ferrari at the turn of the decade?

Still using the wind tunnel in Brackley, and seems like they're going stick some McLaren suspension pieces - "access to parts supply" or whatever that entails.

ioan
10th November 2008, 12:21
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/72063

Seems like its going to be a hybrid car or copy McLaren - much like Sauber/Ferrari at the turn of the decade?

Still using the wind tunnel in Brackley, and seems like they're going stick some McLaren suspension pieces - "access to parts supply" or whatever that entails.

What use to enlarge their "to expand the composite manufacturing capability and drawing office" if they are looking to run a McLaren copy? Or is he planing to "draw" the cars himself after firing the technical director and the team manager?!
Just to draw a smoke curtain over Williams' eyes?
And all this after their opposition to customer cars brought the demise of Super Aguri! :rolleyes:

BDunnell
11th November 2008, 21:32
What use to enlarge their "to expand the composite manufacturing capability and drawing office" if they are looking to run a McLaren copy?

Maybe they are looking at doing something in other formulae? I agree with your scepticism, though.

ioan
11th November 2008, 22:19
Oups, only now I see the mistake I made in that phrase. Sorry.

BDunnell
11th November 2008, 22:35
Oups, only now I see the mistake I made in that phrase. Sorry.

Sorry, you've lost me there. What mistake?

ioan
11th November 2008, 23:54
Sorry, you've lost me there. What mistake?

This one:

What use to enlarge their "to expand...

Nothing important, really, just that I realized that I made such a mess.

BDunnell
12th November 2008, 00:10
Ah, I see.