PDA

View Full Version : New camera advice......

AndyRAC
7th November 2008, 14:11
Currently have a rubbish Kodak compact, but I'm now in the market for a new camera. Not sure what one though; a super zoom compact or an entry level dSLR. Any help or advice would be welcomed.

Thanks.

MJW
8th November 2008, 13:24
Panasonic TZ3 is great, as a compact not a serious SLR, but when I had a film SLR years ago I had to go out and take pictures, with the new digital compacts I find I carry a camera more often and find that I actually get more use for it.

Rallyimage.com
8th November 2008, 15:04
Always found this site a great help when trying to decide which camera to buy

http://www.dpreview.com

Ian McC
8th November 2008, 18:04
How much you looking to spend Andy?

I am looking for one as well, been looking at the Canon EOS1000D, 450D and the Sony Alpha A350

AndyRAC
8th November 2008, 18:34
How much you looking to spend Andy?

I am looking for one as well, been looking at the Canon EOS1000D, 450D and the Sony Alpha A350

About up to £400.

Keep changing my mind, was Nikon D60, now I'm not sure - as well as the ones you've mentioned there are a couple of Olympus that look quite good. Still researching all available data.

Daniel
8th November 2008, 18:56
I would go for a Nikon or Canon. My standard reply to all of there threads :)

BDunnell
8th November 2008, 23:25
I would always recommend the Canon EOS range, as it's what I use. Not without the odd fault, but this can probably be said of most things.

AndyRAC
9th November 2008, 14:35
I would go for a Nikon or Canon. My standard reply to all of there threads :)

Cheers, thanks!! I take it Olympus aren't as good then?

AndyRAC
9th November 2008, 14:36
I would always recommend the Canon EOS range, as it's what I use. Not without the odd fault, but this can probably be said of most things.

Again, thanks!!

I'm hoping to have it in time for the RAC Rally next weekend.

Daniel
9th November 2008, 17:24
Cheers, thanks!! I take it Olympus aren't as good then?
They're OK I guess. But you can go from entry level to uber-mega-super-duper-professional in the Nikon and Canon ranges. I just think that for anyone who might consider taking their photography a little serious in the future those two brands are probably the better better bet. With brands like Sony, Olympus and Pentax the top end just isn't there when you compare it to what Nikon and Canon offer. Go to a WRC event and you'll see the professionals shoot almost exclusively with Nikon and Canon gear (mainly Canon I must say) and with good reason. It is just the best :up:

AndyRAC
9th November 2008, 18:33
They're OK I guess. But you can go from entry level to uber-mega-super-duper-professional in the Nikon and Canon ranges. I just think that for anyone who might consider taking their photography a little serious in the future those two brands are probably the better better bet. With brands like Sony, Olympus and Pentax the top end just isn't there when you compare it to what Nikon and Canon offer. Go to a WRC event and you'll see the professionals shoot almost exclusively with Nikon and Canon gear (mainly Canon I must say) and with good reason. It is just the best :up:

Again, thanks.
Been wanting to change for a few months now - but what really capped it was the poor pictures that turned out on the McRae Stages. Well it seems it will be a Canon then.

BDunnell
9th November 2008, 18:46
Let us know how you get one with the new one. I'm always interested to read opinions on cameras.

edv
9th November 2008, 19:25
Always found this site a great help when trying to decide which camera to buy

http://www.dpreview.com

+1

J4MIE
9th November 2008, 22:53
If you go for the Nikon D40 or D80 (I'm not sure, there are two of them) then be aware that they may be cheap but you will need a lens with an AF motor in it if you want to focus automatically, cos the camera doesn't do it.

Spoke to a guy at a rally a while back who had just bought one and he was not happy............... :s