PDA

View Full Version : Forum kaput

Valve Bounce
7th November 2008, 00:02
Mark! we've been having several days where the forum has been kaput. Are you renovating?

Mark
7th November 2008, 09:01
We are saving serious issues with the database running on the server. I can reboot the server but it still comes back running very slowly, and then eventually crashes again.

Valve Bounce
7th November 2008, 12:29
We are saving serious issues with the database running on the server. I can reboot the server but it still comes back running very slowly, and then eventually crashes again.

Has someone hacked into the forum server and buggered it up?

wrc_flipper
7th November 2008, 13:27

Mark, I have attempted to use the search function on the menu bar and it seems to stop the DB - may want to disable it until things get better.

Mark
7th November 2008, 13:40
I think anything beyond simple queries is crashing the database just now.

Have we been hacked? I don't know, there's nothing obvious to say that we have, but I wouldn't rule it out.

Valve Bounce
8th November 2008, 05:04

Have we been hacked? I don't know, there's nothing obvious to say that we have, but I wouldn't rule it out.

Is there any way we can limit our usage to help out?

RaceFanStan
8th November 2008, 15:52
I use several image links from photobucket for the games & such.
I wouldn't think image links would cause a problem but I feel I should ask to make sure.
Could image links create any kind of a problem with the database ?

8th November 2008, 23:11

Right now it looks like we may have identified (and resolved) the cause of the recent problems -- things seem to be running much better now. But we're watching the situation in case our optimism is unwarranted ...

Valve Bounce
9th November 2008, 01:26
You hired Mike Gascoyne? :eek:

inimitablestoo
9th November 2008, 14:07
Will it help if we all stand on one leg, holding the aerial at arm's length, as used to happen in the bad old days of televisions?

pino
9th November 2008, 17:58
Will it help if we all stand on one leg, holding the aerial at arm's length, as used to happen in the bad old days of televisions?

Unfortunately not, an envelope with lot of $$$ will do :p : ;)

Mark
10th November 2008, 08:47
It was a problem with the emails from the forum not being sent out properly, they stacked up in the forums outbox and eventually flooded the entire server.

Valve Bounce
10th November 2008, 08:58
It was a problem with the emails from the forum not being sent out properly, they stacked up in the forums outbox and eventually flooded the entire server.

G'wan!! you can come up with something better than that!! :p :

janneppi
10th November 2008, 09:37
Does that have anything to do with the bot issue, or is it just normal email traffic?

Mark
10th November 2008, 10:38
From what I've been told the issue is that for some reason it couldn't resolve the domain name attached to the outgoing emails (i.e. my email address) and so the server has been refusing to send them. So they've been backing up and eventually they've reached something like 100,000 files, so the server has ran out of file descriptors and thus can't write anything to the disk.

Knock-on
10th November 2008, 11:45

Anythings worth a go.

Give us a couple of months break to set a benchmark :p

Mark
10th November 2008, 13:02

It's nothing to do with how much load users are putting on the forums. Post away! :p

donKey jote
10th November 2008, 19:16
OK, How much is a stamp to the UK ?
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_3_166.gif

Valve Bounce
23rd November 2008, 08:40
Was the forum kaput again today? I got nothing on my screen when I tried to log on. :(

MrJan
23rd November 2008, 14:17
Was the forum kaput again today? I got nothing on my screen when I tried to log on. :(

Have you checked that the monitor is plugged in?? ;) :p :

Valve Bounce
25th November 2008, 01:28
Have you checked that the monitor is plugged in?? ;) :p :

Yeah!! my Sudoku website came up no problems at all.

harsha
24th February 2009, 07:17
@Mark

i was actually wondering if there was some unneccessary duplication of data that could also be a reason for the server to slow down?